OT: And you can even play GT4 on this baby

  • Thread starter Thread starter amar212
  • 125 comments
  • 8,746 views
Wait, do I have to buy the new PStwo WITH GT4? Or can I get GT4 seperately? If I need to buy GT4 bundled with the PStwo, I'd say **** it and wouldn't buy it. I hope to god I can buy GT4 seperately from the PStwo...
 
Gah...

Since I couldn't be bothered reading all of code_kevs whoreposts, can someone fill me in, will here be room for a HDD in this new PS2 thingy ?...

I mean, minus the display, it's about the same size as my laptop which has 2 disk drives installed as well as a battery...
 
Man that little things small. I'll be afraid to step on it and brake it, but I still want one because my PS2 won't even read dvds or cds anymore. 👍
 
Event Horizon
Wait, do I have to buy the new PStwo WITH GT4? Or can I get GT4 seperately? If I need to buy GT4 bundled with the PStwo, I'd say **** it and wouldn't buy it. I hope to god I can buy GT4 seperately from the PStwo...
That would be ridiculous to say the least. They'd never do that.

On the topic, I see this new PS2 more as a fashion accessory. It would go well with an Audi TT or a Smart.
 
Well I aint getting one because I just went out and brought myself a new PS2 last week dew to disk read issues on the old one.(It now sits on my desk as a decoration)
I think they are just trying to do the same thing that they had sucsess with with the PSone.
Im sure kids will like it and as sony said, when the PS3 comes out the PS2 will be the one most of the kids games will be released on. I cant really see and 8 year old using a hard drive anyways.
Im just gonna save for GT4 on PSP. And the PSP of course.
 
I like my big, old-fashioned PS2. This one looks too small.
 
I'm very curious about this 'silent PS2' concept....games like Tekken Tag cause unbearably loud fan noise and kinda defy the point of having surround sound as the PS2 drowns it out anyway. Can someone gurantee for me that it will indeed be silent? Or at least quieter...

I'm interested in the little thing anyway as my launch-model PS2 is starting to have some serious problems reading things, especially audio CDs. If the PS3 is at least 2 years away then I may just have to get myself one of these posh CD alarm clocks.
 
Dont think I'll be buying this new PS2. Looks like a ploy to squeeze out some more dollars until PS3 is released.
 
SuntoucherUK
I'm very curious about this 'silent PS2' concept....games like Tekken Tag cause unbearably loud fan noise and kinda defy the point of having surround sound as the PS2 drowns it out anyway. Can someone gurantee for me that it will indeed be silent? Or at least quieter...

I'm interested in the little thing anyway as my launch-model PS2 is starting to have some serious problems reading things, especially audio CDs. If the PS3 is at least 2 years away then I may just have to get myself one of these posh CD alarm clocks.

Tekken Tag is unbearably loud as the game is printed on one of the early blue CD-Rom discs. DVD-Rom games such as GT3 have never had this problem. Also, recent updates of the PS2 (silver ones for example) have cut the operating noise to almost nil.
Show us the external power supply sony
 
Could this be a possable hint of how the PS3 might look? I could be wrong, but maybe????
 
scoobyonline200
Could this be a possable hint of how the PS3 might look? I could be wrong, but maybe????
Who knows? Maybe.
 
Heihachi
Show us the external power supply sony
sce03.jpg
 
scoobyonline200
Could this be a possable hint of how the PS3 might look? I could be wrong, but maybe????
Absolutely not. The PS3 will use a Blue-ray driver, and those things are very bulky. But, Sony is still working on the final version of Blue-ray, so it could get a little smaller by the time the PS3 goes on sale, but it would still be bulky.
 
Solid Lifters
Absolutely not. The PS3 will use a Blue-ray driver, and those things are very bulky. But, Sony is still working on the final version of Blue-ray, so it could get a little smaller by the time the PS3 goes on sale, but it would still be bulky.
While I don't think the PS3 will look anything like this, it won't necessarily be because of the blu-ray drive. I heard the reason Dell and HP started backing blu-ray was because recent advances made it small enough to fit in a laptop.
 
Okay just because GT4 is being bundled with this smaller, slightly retarded PS2, doesn't mean it will not have HDD support. People with the smaller PS2 just won't be able to use that feature on GT4. I mean hell why screw the people who own the normal one over (there are more of us) just to make it fair for people who are dumb enough to by another PS2 from the same region as the one they already own.
I do own 2 PS2s. But one is American NTSC/US and my other is Japanese NTSC/J.
I got the Japanese one cuz I wanted to play imports but didn't wanna get caught with a modchip or invalidate my warranty. PLus the Japanese one plays any game from Asia so even if it's Korean or Chinese I can play it. I have a few JP games.
FFX: International
Tekken 4
Soul Calibur 2
And I plan on Tekken 5 and if GT4 takes too long to come to the USA then I will import that too since PD likes to remove things from the American versions......
cough*Diablo*cough....
So yeah that's my reason for owning two PS2s.
 
Thanks for pic Arcticfox. The new model has the appearance of being portable but we need to take the external power supply into consideration. I actually find PS2 to be more convenient to travel with than cube as a result of the nintendo power unit. As for Bill’s Box…

Bring on PSP with GT4
 
IMO ,the silver PS2 looks better than this thing , which may easily get broken if stepped on by mistake.
 
CrAcKaJaP206
I live in a good size apartment, PS2 has never left my floor. My Xbox has never left my floor.

What is the point of a small PS2?

For looks? Only time i look at my ps2 is when i change games and turn it on.

Portability? Like i said, my PS2 never leaves my floor. Only way i would buy this thing, is if i decided to put a ps2 in my car. Then it makes sense.

Other then that, this is just a big gimmic by Sony to make more money. But i'm not complainin', more power to them, if they can get morons who already have a ps2 to fork out more money for a "new" slimmer ps2, go for it.

But ask yourself this? Why pay $150(or $100) for ANOTHER PS2 when you can buy an Xbox? Oh yeah i forogot, teh Xbox iz da suxorz. :lol: :rolleyes: You can expand your gaming experience, but a lot of you(THAT DOES NOT MEAN ALL OF YOU) won't give the Xbox a chance cause you're too one track minded.

???? you realize you're not making any sense? this PS2 is not so existing owners go out and buy another one... it's to appeal buyers that don't own one in the first place, the network adapter is nice, but should've been included in the first PS2 ito begin with.
i had plans to buy a new PS2 just for GT4 because my japanese SCPH 10000 model has no way to play netowrked games (the network adapters for this thing are a VERY rare thing these days, it was a second tower next to the PS2, it had network and HD, cool looking, but aftermarket price was very high!)
so i was going to buy a new PS2 just for GT4...
but now i'll get this instead, and have 2 different PS2's. my nearly 5 year old Japanese PS2 is still in flawless working condition (makes me wonder about the quality of people who report multiple repairs, and of course the quality of the new units).
if this thing is REALLY going to be bundled with GT4 they just saved me 50 bucks or so.
 
I might buy my mum one of those's she so needs to have a nice games console.
 
i.. am.. going.. to .. get .. that..
that looks hella awesome.
 
.....

Wouldnt it just be more appropiete to bundle the Driving Force Pro wheel and GT4 together instead of this new PS2 nonsense?

Dont get me wrong but I actualy like this new look:)

But it just makes more sense to bundle the wheel and the game together 👍
 
I'm buyin one release day. Why Code Kev?????......because I can you narrow minded fool,grow up or find another forum.
 
Leo_Straight6
.....

Wouldnt it just be more appropiete to bundle the Driving Force Pro wheel and GT4 together instead of this new PS2 nonsense?

Dont get me wrong but I actualy like this new look:)

But it just makes more sense to bundle the wheel and the game together 👍

If Sony don't bundle the wheel with the game, I'm sure the shops will be...

Anyone also notice that you can't get the DFP on Amazon in the UK?! Weird eh?!

C.
 
fporto_br
My only big issue with this slim design is heat dissipation. This is one area the PS2 "classic" is a winner. Sure the fan behind it is a little noisy, but it's ventilation area is huge, keeping it cool every time. And that my friends, is very important where I live. I'm in Brazil, Rio de Janeiro to be more specific. And here, we have some days where temperature reaches 105°F (41°C). And, even in this condition, my 3 year-old PS2 runs like a breeze all day long. And after all that, when you open the dic tray and get the game, the disc isn't even hot!

I believe that, for some regions like tropical countries, the new design will cause problems of overheating and bending (melting) of the body because of high temperatures.

I don't think this will be a problem. This PS2 will be using much newer chip fabrication technology than the olders PS2's. Technology has moved a long way in the last four years. The new technologies enable smaller chips and lower power usage (and therefore less heat).

It certainly would be very interesting to compare the power requirements for this PS2 against the older ones.



There is one more implication of the reduction in size of the PS2. The manufactureing costs should be considerably lower than they are for the larger model. This makes the prospect of further PS2 price cuts more financialy viable and more likely.
 
Why Code Kev?????......because I can you narrow minded fool,grow up or find another forum.

So because I think it's a money making waste of time, I'm a narrow minded fool...looks like it's not me who's the narrow minded fool

"oh looks it's all small, duh huh, I wants one huh huh huh".

*another victory for the sony hype wagon*
 
Well, they've put inside the chipset very similar to the one inside the future PSP. so heating will not be problem at all - only real heating will come form the disc-drive where all the main vents are positioned.

As for power, old PS2's had 12V supply in Europe, while the new one will have 8,5V supply. With supply out of the box, heating of the console will dramatically decrease. It is a good tech-move, nothing more.
 
Will they just stop production of the old PS2, or are they going to make both allongside eachother? It's a fliptop, so if there's any chance of some sort of mod for it to play imports I might buy one. Although most of the games I play at the moment are completely run off the HDD, I don't trust my ps2's motor.
 
It only makes sense. As the PS3 is coming, a slimmed down PS-TWO (cf. PS One) is released. The PS One was a success, so this will probably work fine too. Also nice for those who build a PS2 into their car for the kids, this one seems easier to fit in :D just let it fold up to the TFT screen like an airplane seat table, and presto. :D

I won't be buying it as I think my two PS2s will last till the PS3 comes, but for those who are (again) buying a PS2 (like a friend who wants one for GT4) it's not a bad choice (as long as there's no HD support for GT4 at least, or you're absolutely sure you don't want to use that anyway).
 
code_kev
So because I think it's a money making waste of time, I'm a narrow minded fool...looks like it's not me who's the narrow minded fool

"oh looks it's all small, duh huh, I wants one huh huh huh".

*another victory for the sony hype wagon*
thats a classic one - the sour grapes argument
anyone who has learned even tiny bit of philosophy knows it, but let me break it down anyways:
code_kev wants the new PS2, but his parents won't buy it since he already has a PS2 and XBox - they don't feel it's rational to buy another PS2 if the previous works fine - so what code_kev does is he bashes it :)
 
Back