Panning Mode 1

• Thread starter mazda787
  • 107 comments
Circuit%2520de%2520la%2520Sarthe%25202009_9%2520%25282%2529.jpg

I HATE PANNING MODE 1 !!!!

But the photos in this thread, all the above without exception, are all exceptional !!!!

You have convinced me to give it a shot next time...

Thanks and keep it up!

Exactly my thoughts!

I have always wondered what the panning options were... Does anyone care to explain for me exactly what all the different modes do?

@mazda787 the Megane shot is the very definition of panning 1 :drool:

@Loading that Peugeot shot is awesome! 👍👍

@anthaliscious that Z4 GT3 shot :bowdown:

@Swagger897
  • Mode 1: The camera stays in a fixed position and turns to follow the car. Because the car's distance from the camera varies, this can cause it to blur slightly.
  • Mode 2: The camera moves with the car. When taking a photo of a cornering or spinning car, focus will be centred on the middle of the car, which can cause the front and rear to go slightly out of focus.
  • Mode 3: The camera moves with the car, and is positioned face-on to the front of the vehicle. This allows you to take a photo where the car is sharply in focus, and only the background becomes blurred.

Last edited:
A few from me....
There's a golden zone with panning mode 1:

If the camera is too far away and it won't blur. Too close and it will be terrible. But in the middle give or take a couple of steps is where it seems to work right. Then there is a subtle amount of control with the zoom and flicking between the lowest shutter speed (60) and the next one up. And obviously, the faster the car the more the blur etc. Hope that helps. (took me ages to summon up the courage to have a go!!!:dunce:)

And this last one is what inspired me to mess with panning 1 way back in GT5 days:

@KING OF SKULLS

MASTERFUL:bowdown:

It's a great one Hakon ! The sense of speed is excellent and I love the misty atmosphere of this shot !

Latest Posts

Back