Panning Mode 1

• Thread starter mazda787
  • 107 comments
Took this shot because I forgot to change the panning mode XD But surprisingly it turned out well IMO.

MatterhornRotenboden_zps77697ec2.jpg

Shutter speed greatly effects the resulting blur in your final photo.
I've made 3 videos that show the effects of shutter speed on the 3 panning modes:

Panning Mode 1
Panning Mode 2
Panning Mode 3

Not sure if I can embed the vids here, so I just linked them to my Vimeo files...

The vids are 1080p so I encourage you to watch them fullscreen to see the differences between all 8 shutter speeds offered in Photomode.

Shutter speed greatly effects the resulting blur in your final photo.

Nice videos Andrew! 👍

The distance to the object and the angle are also important factors when shooting cars in motion.

The effect of panning mode 1 for example getting stronger (and weirder) the closer you are and is most visible if your in a square angle to the object.

Another factor is the area of the autofocus. In panning mode 1 the autofocus 'builds' a small area and everything outside this area is motion blurred.
As general in shooting pictures, the focus (the sharp area) should be set to the nearest point of view. The same applies for motion blur.

This is an example from me:

It is done in panning mode 1. The position of the camera was very close (as the 1st straight in Rome isn't so wide). Too close for a long shutter speed, so i decided to take a faster speed (1/830). The autofocus was set on the nearest corner of the front bumper. The f-number at the max of 45. This results in a sharp front and a fluid motion on the rear and background.

Back