[PC] DCS 1.5 & 2.0 Open Alpha

Think you get a better version of the Su-25 too, not sure?
From what I understand, you get the mass-produced Su-25 (which is different from the prototype Su-25T).

A-10 is another candy in this pack I like. BRRRRRRT. Hehe. :)

I heard the Mi-24 is in development. Once it gets released... I think that'll be an instabuy for me :drool:

So... I got an affordable joystick (Defender Cobra R4), far from perfect but still much better than keyboard. And I think I got into the game on the Su-25T. Learned how to attack ground targets with rockets and laser-guided missiles. (Still have some problems with anti-radar missiles and bombs). The game runs well with medium-low settings on my system with 4GB RAM, once I get better RAM I think it'll run on higher settings without occasional freezes.

Question. Do you guys have the Flaming Cliffs 3 module? How is it? The price looks decent for this amount of content. I also want the Mi-8, but it's very expensive. I'll rather wait for a sale. Or at least make sure it'll be worth it.

From personal experience, the biggest improvement in how the game ran happened when I went from 8GB to 16GB of RAM. I remember reading on their forums (or here?) that DCS is most taxing on CPU and memory.

And I would recommend getting FC3 if those planes interest you. They aren't nearly as full fidelity as some of the other planes like the Viggen, Mirage, A-10C, or even the TF-51 that you get for free because the cockpits aren't clickable and things and the systems are a bit simplified (just like the Su25T). Hard core pilots may hate on FC3 for that, but they still perform well and are great fun to fly. Whenever they update those planes (such as adding the better flight model for the Su27), it comes at no charge. Some of those planes should continue to get better.

👍

This thing is much more fun than I expected :dopey:
32534037961_dac77e0854_o.jpg

31844043603_1199e3900a_o.jpg

32534036691_ba52ae4c50_o.jpg

Both missiles fired, left and right:
31844044803_6649ecbcd1_o.jpg

32277088650_8136471fbb_o.jpg

I don't have the Mig-21, but I feel this is accurate :lol:

Flying a Mig-21 in multiplayer

Funny they show the Sabre.. I have the Mig-21 in DCS and got out turned heavily by Mig-15's. So that rocket is your only option because in a dog fight you are going to lose :lol: Pull high g's and you risk losing too much speed and compressor stalls. Imagine cruising at a very high altitude and see an enemy below you, go inverted and pull up the nose only to get a compressor stall that also quits your oxygen flow so you blackout just after you hit the restart button, wake up thousands of feet below in a spin only to pass out again because of the high g's and crash. Worst DCS ride ever :P

31847395604_17d569b452_o.jpg

32568098661_4d525b7341_o.jpg

I've been looking to getting into playing DCS online but I'm still getting used to everything. I have FC3 and have been mainly flying around in the F15C. Any tips/recommendations for things to practice/map before I jump online?

I've been looking to getting into playing DCS online but I'm still getting used to everything. I have FC3 and have been mainly flying around in the F15C. Any tips/recommendations for things to practice/map before I jump online?

Don't kill friendlies :P Do you know how to operate the weapons on the F-15?

Lol I'll try not to ;) but yeah i'm fairly familiar with the weapons system and im getting better at using the radar effectively. My defensive game is weak.

Russian missiles are a bit harder to dodge and have a longer range than those Amraam's, so don't feel too bad :P Try to counter the energy of the missile, it can't steer that well when it's traveling at high speed. Mountains are your friend, use them to block lock. Watch out for heat seeking missiles, you won't hear them coming. Use jammer but keep in mind; friendlies behind you will get jammed too. Never ever fly directly over SAM sites. Throw away the fuel tanks when they're empty and always throw them away when you need to go defensive. Fly with radar off, use your RWR. With radar on you're visible for other aircraft with RWR.

So, the recent sale of Russian aircraft allowed me to get the Mi-8 at half price.
Haven't studied the manual yet, only gave it a 10 minute test flight. First attept to take off didn't go well :D
But then, tried it more carefully and I managed to follow an AI helicopter in a stable flight.

It's great. Feels awesome. The cockpit is fully clickable. That thing will take a looot of my time to learn properly.

Also... The matte black livery of the MTV-2 in the test flight mission looks much like the one used by the Russian National Guard.

So, the recent sale of Russian aircraft allowed me to get the Mi-8 at half price.
Haven't studied the manual yet, only gave it a 10 minute test flight. First attept to take off didn't go well :D
But then, tried it more carefully and I managed to follow an AI helicopter in a stable flight.

It's great. Feels awesome. The cockpit is fully clickable. That thing will take a looot of my time to learn properly.

Also... The matte black livery of the MTV-2 in the test flight mission looks much like the one used by the Russian National Guard.

Nice! I have it too but it's a rough change being so used to the Huey. Everything takes more time but it is also more forgiving so that's a bonus.

(sorry for the textures, my current system needs some humble settings to run it stable)
JWI4SV81tF8.jpg

Oooh, the vortex ring state makes it really difficult to land vertically. I learned how to take off, fly stable forward, turn and land it like a plane (thanks Soviet designers, this thing has wheels) on a runway, I can even hover on it for some time (at ~100 m altitude), but landing in "helicopter" way is a problem for me. In best case I can hard land with damage but keep the crew alive. :D

Tried the simplified flight model and I can land in both ways on it easily. Even too easily. But, at least I know, if I want just relaxing flight on a Mi-8, I can always do it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Alright so I recently picked up a Thrustmaster T.1600M HOTAS and figured I may as well get DCS loaded for the first time in what feels like a year. I was going to wait for 2.5 but I don't wanna actually wait that long. Loaded it up and this is what I find... 24 GB's worth of updates. Yep, I'm officially back lol

upload_2017-3-2_14-38-52.png

Alright so I recently picked up a Thrustmaster T.1600M HOTAS and figured I may as well get DCS loaded for the first time in what feels like a year. I was going to wait for 2.5 but I don't wanna actually wait that long. Loaded it up and this is what I find... 24 GB's worth of updates. Yep, I'm officially back lol

View attachment 631362

:eek: :lol:

It's crazy how much space DCS needs nowadays. I'm running 3 versions, 1.5 is 46gb, 1.5 beta 50gb and 2.0 77gb.. As I'm typing this DCS 2.0 is updating :ouch:

32433024053_2a50891dbe_o.jpg

Last edited:

It's crazy how much space DCS needs nowadays. I'm running 3 versions, 1.5 is 46gb, 1.5 beta 50gb and 2.0 77gb.. As I'm typing this DCS 2.0 is updating :ouch:

I've not even touched the "stable" version in a long time. I was really hoping they would've merged by now because this is ridiculous, but whatever. #twoweeks

32433024053_2a50891dbe_o.jpg
You landed it here :lol:
(It's the Nevada map right?)

Well I'm still struggling with vertical landing on my Mi-8MT. Tried many times, but only two successful vertical landings were done. The last time I simply descended to 5~10 m with decent horizontal speed, stabilized the helicopter near ground, entering hover mode, then carefully decreased the pitch until I touched the ground.

Also tried using the armanent on the shooting range (rockets, machine guns and automatic grenade launchers). Tricky, but easier than landing :D

You landed it here :lol:
(It's the Nevada map right?)

Well I'm still struggling with vertical landing on my Mi-8MT. Tried many times, but only two successful vertical landings were done. The last time I simply descended to 5~10 m with decent horizontal speed, stabilized the helicopter near ground, entering hover mode, then carefully decreased the pitch until I touched the ground.

Also tried using the armanent on the shooting range (rockets, machine guns and automatic grenade launchers). Tricky, but easier than landing :D

Haha I like tight spots. And yes that's Nevada! Vertical landings are pretty hard, I usually pull the stick and lower the collective and lose speed and altitude that way while aiming for landing zone. Just hoover the last bit in place. Usually in Nevada I see it as one big playground and land at stupid places.

32451826433_3ef1382dd9_o.jpg

Screen_170304_154434.jpg

So I'm happy to report that having a proper flight stick makes this game soooooooo much better. For the money, I'm really pleased with the T.1600m FCS HOTAS so far. I came from a 15+ year old MS Sidewinder II so really anything feels amazing compared to that.

The only two planes I still find hard/near impossible to fly are the F-86 and TF51. With both planes there is no amount of trimming I can do that'll make them stable. I'm always having to fight those bloody things and it's not at all fun.

But the F-15 and Mirage are just perfect now. It's nice being able to let go of the stick so I can work systems and have it still fly in a straight line (the old Sidewinder would just flop over).

Normandy trailer released and it'll be up for presale soon(TM).

It seems the map and a WWII assets pack will be sold separately unless you get the bundle. No word on pricing yet... but starting to feel like they're nickel and diming us on a release that's only a couple years late.

edit: Wags confirmed the bundle will be $47.99 if you pre-order. Otherwise regular price for the bundle is $60.

Dan
This calls for celebration!
I like the damage model in this game. It looks like the lost wheels affect the aerodynamics. When I took off after not-so-careful landing on a river bank (to deliver food for soldiers on the checkpoint), I felt like my Eight is moving unstable and can't keep its nose straight forward when I release the joystick. I switched to 3rd person view and didn't see the front and the rear left wheels of the gear. :boggled:

New updates on the F-14, F-18, and nah JK it's another sale.

DCS World Easter Sale
Today at 1500 GMT marks the start of our Easter Weekend 2017 sale! This 40% off sale includes most of our and third party released products! If you’ve been holding out for a sale on a particular module, now is your chance! This sale will last until 24 April 2017 at 0900 GMT.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3110747&postcount=82

Heatblur uploaded some shots of the Viggen with the updated lighting and it looks incredible. Almost photolike at times.

This is my favorite shot, and new desktop wallpaper. :drool:

fiM30Kl.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back