PCars, 4 months in...half price RRP...

• Thread starter theapex
  • 77 comments
Why do you assume something went wrong? It's not a massive AAA title like CoD or GTA that can afford to keep prices high for a year or more. They already sold way more than expected, so it's a huge success for SMS. And as said, it can go back up again too. There was also a huge Steam discount some time ago.

A huge success in terms of sales only. If I worked for SMS I would not describe the state of the game as it currently is as "successful". It's only because the consumer is weak enough to buy half finished games on release that developers are allowed to get away with it.
Programing is hard, I know that, but if I shipped my customers a half finished product I'd run out of customers very quickly, especially if I lied to them.

I pre order it i played it one week its just crap with DS4 its a shame..... And a waste of money. Digital copy so iam stuck with it haha

I think it's because they have already announced 2 and are moving on.
I think they're not and the patches reflect this (as they keep getting bigger and bigger). They are shifting from bugfixing more to new features, requests, etc. but judging from the (lack of) activity on the PC2 forum, they haven't moved into PC2 full blown at all and PC2 is still a *very* long way off. I think they won't move to PC2 fully before all the major fixes are done.

Not sure how much effort they're spending on WoS and RedBull Air Race though...

I think most people who want to buy the game day 1 have bought it already. The rest are not buying or they'll only buy if it's cheaper (I know I belong to the latter camp), so making it half price is only going to do good for sales 👍

I pre order it i played it one week its just crap with DS4 its a shame..... And a waste of money. Digital copy so iam stuck with it haha

Have you played it more recently? Check out the help section here for some great setup advice regarding the controller settings. It's worth a go.

While I use a wheel most of the time I have a controller setup that means I can drive every car fairly comfortably using the DS4 when I don't have the wheel out (even the Lotus 49 with care). I find that setup gives me a far greater level of control than using a DS3 in GT5, GT6 or any PS3 game.

Here's the post that helped me.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/posts/10781199/

A huge success in terms of sales only. If I worked for SMS I would not describe the state of the game as it currently is as "successful". It's only because the consumer is weak enough to buy half finished games on release that developers are allowed to get away with it.
Programing is hard, I know that, but if I shipped my customers a half finished product I'd run out of customers very quickly, especially if I lied to them.
Especially with a public beta since 2012.

Anyway, sales figures?

I think the sales are pretty decent from a Kickstarter-esque racing sim (how niche can you get :lol: )

I'll bet they sold more than DC/FH2/Forza 5.

The game being not very good isn't relevant, they probably reached their goal and decided a price cut won't do anyharm

Anyway, sales figures?
Not sure if anyone here has exact figures, but they passed 1 million back in the first week of June. I think I heard/read it's somewhere north of 1.5 million right now (but don't rip my guts out if I'm off ;)).

Don't get me wrong, i like the game just that not sure i like Ian Bell, his previous is folding a company but then asset stripping and....hmmm, starting up another company.... don't you just love that style of business.....

No biting here. :D vgchartz is notoriously unreliable (e.g. in the case of Shift2 they were off by a factor 2). They don't have any real data to go with (check their methodology) and as far as I know doesn't even include electronic sales.

The 1 million was announced by SMS/Bandai Namco themselves, so it's the only exact number that was officially published. The rest is estimation/hearsay (including the number I posted earlier).

No biting here. :D vgchartz is notoriously unreliable (e.g. in the case of Shift2 they were off by a factor 2). They don't have any real data to go with (check their methodology) and as far as I know doesn't even include electronic sales.

The 1 million was announced by SMS/Bandai Namco themselves, so it's the only exact number that was officially published. The rest is estimation/hearsay (including the number I posted earlier).

They are way off then, why are they still exist :lol:

Don't get me wrong, i like the game just that not sure i like Ian Bell, his previous is folding a company but then asset stripping and....hmmm, starting up another company.... don't you just love that style of business.....
That style of business is called...business.

They are way off then, why are they still exist :lol:
You went there didn't you? Website revenue isn't created by the amount of truth or accuracy it puts forth, but rather by the number of visitors it receives.

I'll bet they sold more than DC/FH2/Forza 5.
I'd be seriously surprised if they sold as much as any of those games. I don't know about FM5/H2, but DC had sold more than 2 million before this month, and I'd imagine it's still selling better than Pcars (due to the low price, large amount of dlc and extra stuff added since it was released, and it's now stable performance).

IMO it's because of the Forza 6 launch.

This is pretty much it. FM6, once released, will sell like crazy. It probably doesn't help SMS that X1 owners feel a bit left behind with Pcars compared with the support of the PS4 and PC versions.

I'd be seriously surprised if they sold as much as any of those games. I don't know about FM5/H2, but DC had sold more than 2 million before this month, and I'd imagine it's still selling better than Pcars (due to the low price, large amount of dlc and extra stuff added since it was released, and it's now stable performance).

Really? It does have the advantage of being on more platforms though, I'd bet my house it sold better than Forza 5 atleast.

That style of business is called...business.

You went there didn't you? Website revenue isn't created by the amount of truth or accuracy it puts forth, but rather by the number of visitors it receives.

Is there other site that gives accurate sales numbers for games ?

Really? It does have the advantage of being on more platforms though, I'd bet my house it sold better than Forza 5 atleast.

Yeah Pcars is on 3 platforms, but remember the main chunk of buyers are still on PS4. It's also more of a niche game than the others, being solely sim focussed. DC has a wider appeal, and is genuinely different to other racing games. FM6 will sell well because it's a highly anticipated X1 exclusive, and also has the wider appeal of not being a full sim, and having the ability to go all "pimp my ride" on the cars.

Pcars has to be seen as a big success when you consider just how small the market is that they're playing in, and how narrow their focus is within that market. I just hope they show the fans some love and gratitude for making it a success, by continuing to work on getting the game stable. I have hope though. Look at how bad DC was at launch, and now it's perfectly stable, no bugs, and a ton of extra content than when it was released.

This is pretty much it. FM6, once released, will sell like crazy. It probably doesn't help SMS that X1 owners feel a bit left behind with Pcars compared with the support of the PS4 and PC versions.
The only hard sales figures for F5 I found were these: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-18-ms-forza-5-fastest-selling-racing-game-in-xbox-history. That's 1.3 million units in 2 months on a 3.9 million install base at the time. I think I'm pretty safe in guessing that figure would be over 2 million by now, but potentially much higher, although you'd think they'd be shouting about it if it was in the 3-5 million range.

Is there other site that gives accurate sales numbers for games ?
The only figures that are really trustworthy IMO are like those above..directly from the horses mouth. VGChartz was fairly accurate until the digital download became a thing and since they don't gather any data from digital downloads, it's completely unreliable IMO.

You'd also run out of customers very quickly if the release window was too far into things and didn't deliver on whatever expectations were alluded to.

I'd point to one game in particular but that shouldn't be necessary, so it isn't anywhere near as black and white as you're attempting to make it out as.

The only hard sales figures for F5 I found were these: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-18-ms-forza-5-fastest-selling-racing-game-in-xbox-history. That's 1.3 million units in 2 months on a 3.9 million install base at the time. I think I'm pretty safe in guessing that figure would be over 2 million by now, but potentially much higher, although you'd think they'd be shouting about it if it was in the 3-5 million range.

Yeah that is impressive for the install base. I imagine FM6 will sell a lot better too, due to the bigger install base, and the fact it looks about a million times better than FM5 (at least in terms of content).

Back