pCARS unplayable on a Dualshock??PS4 

swg
I am on Xbox one. I assume you're talking about the core controller settings. I can PM them to you in a bit if you'd like. Though I make no claims towards them working any better for you than some of the settings others have shared on the threads. :) They are tailored to my habits after all.

Right now I am trying a little bit of everything, so yes I would be interested in anything you would be willing to share.
I realize they may or maynot be suitable but there is only one way to find out.
Thanks.

Just had my first run at Dubai with the LMP2 while I wait for the rest of the game to download and I'll admit, I was a bit worried given all the comments here.

But I think its spot on. Might reduce the steering sensitivity a little but otherwise it felt exactly how I expected it to. Not sure what all the fuss is about...

It's a combination of muscle memory and bad habits picked up elsewhere where the games were more forgiving in my opinion. People are trying to get a feeling they are comfortable with and adapt the game to the handling they are used to, but I feel they should adapt their style to suit the game. If you are ever unfortunate enough to play sims on PC with a pad, it's not a million miles away from the defaults found in this one. OG Mode 3 for me, have not had a single problem since day one. :cheers:

@swg -- What I took exception to was your implication that the only appropriate way to play is by finessing the stick instead of expecting it to dampen your inputs. That sentiment is usually associated with the idea that steering dampening is an "assist" for unskilled players, which was implied by your choice of words -- "l33t drifting" and "hulk gloves" -- and casts judgment upon individuals who would merely prefer to play the game a different way. And it's not necessarily because they expect "arcade" physics or assistance.

There's a middle ground between snappy steering and the subtle oversteer assist in Forza games (something I have criticized before). It's also a matter of playing style.

@swg -- What I took exception to was your implication that the only appropriate way to play is by finessing the stick instead of expecting it to dampen your inputs. That sentiment is usually associated with the idea that steering dampening is an "assist" for unskilled players, which was implied by your choice of words -- "l33t drifting" and "hulk gloves" -- and casts judgment upon individuals who would merely prefer to play the game a different way. And it's not necessarily because they expect "arcade" physics or assistance.

There's a middle ground between snappy steering and the subtle oversteer assist in Forza games (something I have criticized before). It's also a matter of playing style.
It certainly wasnt my intent to imply what you seemed to have assumed. At no point did I say anything about assists or less skilled players (of which I am one) I feel like I was saying pretty clearly that in some games you can drift like a pro with ease because the handling model, controls and physics are simplified as compared to pcars. Regardless of my intent, if you took offense I apologize.

Well I haven't experienced the full lock bug then, and I've put in quite a bit of time, and I really push the cars hard. I also don't know why people think when they can't control a car on a sim it must be a bug. Try practicing. I have no problem controlling the cars with a ds4, even sliding group 5 cars with the boost cranked right up. It's hard, but so is driving on the limit irl. I've never experienced a console racing game as realistic as this. I'm loving it.

My only problem is I can't bring myself to take the disc out of the ps4, so the only time I get to play games each day is totally taken up with this game, and I really really really want to finish Farcry 4 lol.

The full lock bug seems to be exclusive to Xbone.

If I had the full stick travel, and removed the lock bug, I believe this game would be very fun to play.
Unfortunately as it is, you are constantly trying to compensate for too much steering input with delay and speed ratio changes of input to output.
The potential is definitely there though.

The game can be played with a controller you just need to tweak your controller settings and give yourself time to get a feel for the game.

I started my career in GT4 with the BMW. It didn't take long to choose between turning it off or purchasing a new TV, for two reasons.

So I started over with the Clio cup to build some experience. I'm slowly getting used to the controls, but it's the lack of "feel" and simulated "feedback" that kill me once it gets wet out, cold tires or just pushing too hard. I just can't feel the car at the limit of grip and when it does go, I've yet to save it. So I stop all turning inputs and hit the brakes until I'm fully stopped.

Next problem is the gear changes with a controller. I set my right stick for up and down shifts but it's so hit and miss I gave up and went auto. It didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason; let off the throttle, shift, back on the throttle; sometimes would work, sometimes not. Power shift while on throttle full, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Had to take a break from the game when I lost the race due to shift issues when in a drag race to the finish.

I started my career in GT4 with the BMW. It didn't take long to choose between turning it off or purchasing a new TV, for two reasons.

So I started over with the Clio cup to build some experience. I'm slowly getting used to the controls, but it's the lack of "feel" and simulated "feedback" that kill me once it gets wet out, cold tires or just pushing too hard. I just can't feel the car at the limit of grip and when it does go, I've yet to save it. So I stop all turning inputs and hit the brakes until I'm fully stopped.

Next problem is the gear changes with a controller. I set my right stick for up and down shifts but it's so hit and miss I gave up and went auto. It didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason; let off the throttle, shift, back on the throttle; sometimes would work, sometimes not. Power shift while on throttle full, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Had to take a break from the game when I lost the race due to shift issues when in a drag race to the finish.
Using the right stick (my preferred method as well) has been a no go for me. The stick is just FAR too sensitive. Just the process of letting go of the stick from an upshift is enough to set off a down shift input. You literally have to ease the stick back to center and not a hair further to be sure shifts work properly. I ended up just switching shifts to A and X.

They should have done a good pad settings, I don't make anything about give us the "chance" of changing them.

PCars should have a standard settings as GT has.

Alright, so after almost an hour and a half of CONTROLLER settings tweaking this morning on this POS game, I think I finally found the right combination to at least make this game playable. Considering my hype for this game and my extreme disappointment since picking it up Tuesday, let me say, this is a PRIME example of why we need demos, now more than ever.

Steering Deadzone : 10
Steering Sensitivity : 10
Throttle Deadzone : 10
Throttle Sensitivity : 30
Brake Deadzone : 10
Brake Sensitivity : 30
Clutch Deadzone : 10
Clutch Sensitivity : 45
Speed Sensitivity : 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity : 45
Force Feedback : 95
Controller Input Mode : 3
Advanced : OFF

This was all tested with real racing assists enabled on a Clio Cup. It's still a bit squirrel-y under braking, but I find enabling the soft steering makes the cars feel like a brick.

This one it's a good step ahead for me. It's at this point in time the best one I tasted.

Also, I wanna say that if they had done a standard settings it would have been much better because, giving us "the chance" of changing them was a big mistake, in this case. GT has a standard and it is OK for a lot of us, if not all.

By the way, I never seen a car when full throttle at 2ª loses control by surprise, I already know this things would be predictable using a wheel but unfortunately some of us are not able to use ours Logitechs.

So far, I think GT is still better, even though PCars is a good choice but GT's longer known and it's more easier to configure.

Summing up, Is PCars unplayable with DS? A bit.

PD: If someone is able to countersteer with DS without losing control please show me your settings. I know how physics work but it's not a metter of getting the hand of them, it's a settings problem.

They should have done a good pad settings, I don't make anything about give us the "chance" of changing them.

PCars should have a standard settings as GT has.

This one it's a good step ahead for me. It's at this point in time the best one I tasted.

Also, I wanna say that if they had done a standard settings it would have been much better because, giving us "the chance" of changing them was a big mistake, in this case. GT has a standard and it is OK for a lot of us, if not all.

By the way, I never seen a car when full throttle at 2ª loses control by surprise, I already know this things would be predictable using a wheel but unfortunately some of us are not able to use ours Logitechs.

So far, I think GT is still better, even though PCars is a good choice but GT's longer known and it's more easier to configure.

Summing up, Is PCars unplayable with DS? A bit.

PD: If someone is able to countersteer with DS without losing control please show me your settifun. I know how physics work but it's not a metter of getting the hand of them, it's a settings problem.

The only thing I've done is lower the steering sensitivity and I'm having no trouble. Yes it would easier with a wheel, but far from unplayable.

The Clio was a challenge at first but once you learn to manage the lift off oversteer its actually quite fun. Absolutely stoked with this game, it's been a long time coming!

I set the gears to buttons, so have not had that issue, might be worth a try.

In regard to the Clio on cold tyres (and don't forget cold brakes) keep in mind that the car is designed to be very, very tail happy, so when its cold you need to baby it a lot more than many others. It is still possible to get around, but make sure you short shift, moderate both the throttle and brakes, brake in a straight line, accelerate after the apex when the car is straightening and do not lift around corners until its nice and warm.

The warm-up laps for qualifying and practice are just that and you need to ensure you corner well within the limits of the tyres and brakes when cold.

This is a quick example to show it is possible even with a controller (PS4).

You can with practice and care even catch it if you mess up as well.

PS4-DS4 user .
Why not using the left stick for steering , the right stick for (up for gas and down for break ) , L2 to for gear down 54321 and R2 for gear up12345 .
This works fin for me .

The only thing I've done is lower the steering sensitivity and I'm having no trouble. Yes it would easier with a wheel, but far from unplayable.

The Clio was a challenge at first but once you learn to manage the lift off oversteer its actually quite fun. Absolutely stoked with this game, it's been a long time coming!

What controller input mode are your settings from? nº 3?

I don't want to drift. I just wanna be able to give up losing control so easy.

I'm using set up 3. Braking and throttleare not a big deal, I got them.

Going out of a curve hard is when I'm having trouble handling, even if it seems easy to control I always lose it.

I mean, in a right turn, countersteering at left and surprising the car goes at left losing control! There's no chance of get it.

I use a DS3 with stock settings and seem to do fine. The problems I have are only due to braking too late. User error. It's just hard to save the car once you boner it.

Just had my first run at Dubai with the LMP2 while I wait for the rest of the game to download and I'll admit, I was a bit worried given all the comments here.

But I think its spot on. Might reduce the steering sensitivity a little but otherwise it felt exactly how I expected it to. Not sure what all the fuss is about...
What I find tricky is not really noticeable in an lmp2. The problem I'm having is with when the wheels spin (which doesn't happen much in the grippy high downforce cars), I have not once been able to counter steer and carry on. The car just spins out. If I lift off the throttle the car just keeps spinning, turning the wheel in the opposite direction mostly doesn't seem to stop it spinning, and on the rare occasion it does, the car turns and then violently snaps in the opposite direction (this bit reminds me of Forza's sim handling mode, which does recommend you to use a wheel).

Wheel users and videos show me this isn't a problem for wheel users. It should not be harder for controller users, it should be equal. If there was some technique to mastering the slides on controller I would stop moaning and learn it, but there isn't.

I don't know what the fuss about Pcars being 'unplayable/undrivable' is? I use a control pad and I just had to adjust my style to suit the game. Its a simulation, rather than a semi-serious arcade game like Gt6. It isn't broken or unplayable with a pad. Its just realistic!

I don't know what the fuss about Pcars being 'unplayable/undrivable' is? I use a control pad and I just had to adjust my style to suit the game. Its a simulation, rather than a semi-serious arcade game like Gt6. It isn't broken or unplayable with a pad. Its just realistic!
Read my post. That's the problem I'm having at least. It's making the cars like the 49 utterly undrivable without tcs.

Read my post. That's the problem I'm having at least. It's making the cars like the 49 utterly undrivable without tcs.

I did read it. Personally I don't have an issue with leaving a couple of assists on. I left stability on and its still a bitch, but its drive able with the right approach. I found being progressive with the throttle at all times helped. The 49 has got that power band near the top of the rev range that wants to fling it off the track.

I did read it. Personally I don't have an issue with leaving a couple of assists on. I left stability on and its still a bitch, but its drive able with the right approach. I found being progressive with the throttle at all times helped. The 49 has got that power band near the top of the rev range that wants to fling it off the track.
I'm driving the 49 right now, and yes it does attack you in terms of power delivery. However, I am still finding that once the wheels slip, BAM, you're out.

swg
Using the right stick (my preferred method as well) has been a no go for me. The stick is just FAR too sensitive. Just the process of letting go of the stick from an upshift is enough to set off a down shift input. You literally have to ease the stick back to center and not a hair further to be sure shifts work properly. I ended up just switching shifts to A and X.

I like that idea, will give it try.

What I find tricky is not really noticeable in an lmp2. The problem I'm having is with when the wheels spin (which doesn't happen much in the grippy high downforce cars), I have not once been able to counter steer and carry on. The car just spins out. If I lift off the throttle the car just keeps spinning, turning the wheel in the opposite direction mostly doesn't seem to stop it spinning, and on the rare occasion it does, the car turns and then violently snaps in the opposite direction (this bit reminds me of Forza's sim handling mode, which does recommend you to use a wheel).

Wheel users and videos show me this isn't a problem for wheel users. It should not be harder for controller users, it should be equal. If there was some technique to mastering the slides on controller I would stop moaning and learn it, but there isn't.

Yeah I don't know mate, something doesn't sound right. That said I haven't tried all cars yet, but I had some really enjoyable races in the GT3 and GT4 cars over the weekend, as well as completing the first 3 or 4 races in the Clio cup.

I was able to catch some pretty hairy lift off oversteer in the Clio but it took a while to master, and I really struggled with the Huayra and other high powered road cars at first (probably because I have spent the last couple of years playing GT) but I feel pretty comfortable now after about 4 or 5 hours of game time. It's definitely difficult to modulate the steering and throttle on the DS4 but once you get a feel for the car, you just need to remind yourself to be smooth with your inputs.

That said, I will probably end up buying a wheel as I think I will struggle to compete beyond about 80% AI difficulty with the pad.

I hope you figure it out because it really is a great game, otherwise get yourself a wheel!

I'm driving the 49 right now, and yes it does attack you in terms of power delivery. However, I am still finding that once the wheels slip, BAM, you're out.

Sounds pretty much the same as iRacing and Assetto Corsa then.

The car is a widowmaker. It's really that hard. You can do some stuff with setup to help, but if you try and drive at ten tenths you better be at the top of your game because you'll be spending most of the lap sideways. Welcome to ridiculous power, no downforce and period tyres.

Back