PD should just ditch GT league and make more mission races.

• Thread starter KingFrog
  • 141 comments

KingFrog

(Banned)
United States
NOYB
Seriously the GT league in this game sucks donkey nards. Why on earth did people complain about mission challenge when it offered competitive racing that didn't involve racing through a grid of mismatched cars with two fast ones up front?
Examples Boxer spirit. I thought I would be racing Porsches VS Subarus Vs tuned 86's , but nope PD tosses in a samba bus and bone stock cars.
The single player update basically consists of picking the fastest car or tunning your car to win. I LITERALLY fell asleep playing this crap last night

But isn’t this exactly what loads of GT fans cried out for? Hasn’t PD delivered what they were criticised for lacking?
Personally I’m finding it quite fun though Custom Race has been and will continue to be where I get my offline fun from mostly.

I agree that more mission races with several objectives to hit (for example: finish with at least 50% fuel) would be nice. I was surprinsingly enjoying myself doing those. Never thought i would.
Career mode is and always will be meh in those games. Look at Forza. Same stuff every two years. I only drive custom free play races there and have a blast with them. No need of that being-put-on-rails-career mode. I think we just grew old and its all known and we all have done it too many times in order to enjoy that ***** over and over again.

Before December 22: "Why is there no GT Mode in GT Sport?! This goes against the very foundation of what a Gran Turismo game is! Hey look, they're adding back in! Yossha!!"

After December 22: "Look at this repetitive use of tracks, lack of race car competition, substandard AI, no prize cars, only TWO endurance races?? Yeah, I didn't want this addition anyway."

PD gets it. There's no pleasing everyone.

Exactly
I agree that more mission races with several objectives to hit (for example: finish with at least 50% fuel) would be nice. I was surprinsingly enjoying myself doing those. Never thought i would.
Career mode is and always will be meh in those games. Look at Forza. Same stuff every two years. I only drive custom free play races there and have a blast with them. No need of that being-put-on-rails-career mode. I think we just grew old and its all known and we all have done it too many times in order to enjoy that ***** over and over again.
Forza has the same issue, i'v noticed games with " good AI" are in reality games with closely balanced classes. Heck Drive club had challenges mid race which made things fun. E.G. run 2 clean laps/ pass sector X with X speed / Lead the race 5/10 laps. Drift sector x with x amount of points ( which I hated because it would slow you down on a race with a beat lap time of X challenge). PD shouldn't be afraid to incorporate these elements, im sick and tired of sim elitist clamoring for PD to go further and further down the sim rabbit hole. I own a real sports car, I get my " sim" fix every week end. At the end of the day I liked GT because it was FUN, not because it was realistic.

Also the mode sucks, I haven't heard anyone give it good reveiws. What I have heard is people suggesting PD add things that are already in the game and looked over because it's not " traditional GT" E.G. grade 4/3/1 races. Why? you can make your own in custom race. We have a ton of one makes in the missions mode AND a few great enduros. The few pick your own car races in mission mode are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the garbage PD just gave us. At least the grid made sense !

Heck Drive club had challenges mid race which made things fun.

I think Drive Club might go down in arcade racing game history as one of the most underrated games ever made, just because it had such a bumpy start. But the guys at Evolution Studios worked their asses off and added so much more to the game. When they got dissolved by Sony, the game was to me almost a brillant arcade racer. And the physics were not that shabby too, there was some serious stuff going on under the hood.
Plus it has still today the best rain effects ever in a racing game and the lighting was years ahead of everyone else when it released.

But i would not agree that they should "ditch" anything. Keep it in. The more modes to choose from, the better. You never know who might enjoy it. Tastes are different.

Last edited:
I think Drive Club might go down in arcade racing game history as one of the most underrated games ever made, just because it had such a bumpy start. But the guys at Evolution Studios worked their asses off and added so much more to the game. When they got dissolved by Sony, the game was to me almost a brillant arcade racer. And the physics were not that shabby too, there was some serious stuff going on under the hood.

My only complaint is it's lack of cars. Drive club two could have been the greatest arcade racer ever made. Im sure evo would have added more classes/customization options / crazy graphical effects /modes. That game was sorely missing a mustang/NSX . Evo had planned to add more cars through the year but were shut down. They had the Honda license too and rumor has it that they had just acquired the ford licence =/

I also have to say that gaming world nowadays got too obsessed with wanting to be rewarded for doing something in the game. A trophy here, a lootbox here, some pop up numbers of credits here, all shiny and flashy with the exclamation mark: you achieved! Like, for every fart you do in the game you get achievements. Its almost like its some sort of compensation for the real life almost never rewarding one? :D
To me thats somewhat almost intrusive. I remember the old days when you played a Counter Strike (pre Source) game and then the match was just over. No shiny stuff, no rewards, just the good feeling that you had a nice match.
Sorry was just thinking off the top of my head...:)

Reading through all these threads stating what PD should and should not do has sparked my imagination, now every time I think of gts it's a monstrosity of an unplayable unenjoyable gooblidy goop creation of gtp members. I can't get it out of my head.

21p5gs.jpg

The single player update basically consists of picking the fastest car or tunning your car to win. I LITERALLY fell asleep playing this crap last night
Maybe try to adjust the power ratio down instead of tuning the car you are using, or use a lower N car, maybe it will be harder to win and more fun to race? I don't tune, not increasing the power ratio either or level any of my cars up.

If you use a underpowered car you get a bonus, i used N100 in Sunday Cup Race 1 N400 race, didn't win, but got 4th place and got a great bonus :):

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20171226141329.jpg

only TWO endurance races??

Hahaha, sorry, i was the one or one of them who said this :embarrassed: :).

Last edited:
If you don't like it, that's fine, just don't play it. Stupid to say that they should ditch GT League. A feature many have asked for.

We live in times where the video game industry is full of micro transactions, loot boxes and season passes for paid DLC thst should of already been in quite a lot of games. You should appreciate the fact Kaz/PD has gone out their way to give us GT League. Yes, it may not be huge but it's still something at the end of the day.

First people complain about no GT Mode, now people are complaining about *the* GT mode. What more do you want?

Seriously the GT league in this game sucks donkey nards. Why on earth did people complain about mission challenge when it offered competitive racing that didn't involve racing through a grid of mismatched cars with two fast ones up front?
Examples Boxer spirit. I thought I would be racing Porsches VS Subarus Vs tuned 86's , but nope PD tosses in a samba bus and bone stock cars.
I quite like the fact that I'm driving cars I wouldn' normally choose, on tracks I wouldn't necessarily choose in custom races, much like the more obscure Daily Races in Sport mode.

If you're picking the fastest car you're allowed and then being bored by how easy it is, I'd suggest you need to look at your approach. Try taking on the N500s in an N200, or on lower spec rubber. It'll be far more interesting, you may learn a little something about setting up the car's suspension to make the most of limited power, and you'll get a bonus at the end.

I think that GT League will expand as more cars and tracks become available, and I can see them adding in more achievements to support it. They're tracking League wins so it makes sense for them to add a new achievement wheel into the profile page with 10, 100, 1000-win levels. It might not be your cup of tea, in which case stick to online, but I've quite enjoyed racking up the drift points, liveries and miles, and I'm enjoying having another source of offline races with a little more structure than one-off custom races.

There is more content on the way for GT League mode.
They aren't able to add a lot of the classic GT series yet because many relied on specific tracks or cars.

Hoping for the return of GT300/500s on Fuji/Tsukuba (plus existing Suzuka, Tokyo, Kyoto) for a Super GT series. Maybe some classic DTM cars (Alfa 155, Merc Evo etc) and more European tracks for another.

I'd pay actual money for a Classic GT event with Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, Grand Valley etc open only to 90s road cars!

The single player update basically consists of picking the fastest car or tunning your car to win.
That's odd, because I've been picking slower and slower cars and not bothering with any tuning.

And you get a 20% bonus to XP and Credits for each class below the maximum permitted, so I've been ambling around Sunday Cup (N400) in an N100 car and getting 60% handicap bonus and 50% clean race bonus*.

GT League is, as with the campaign mode of just about every GT game to date, what you make it to be. If you want to smash it with the fastest permitted car, do that. If you want to make it a challenge and go with slower ones, do that. Pretending that your way is the only way... don't do that.

*Which stack to 110%, rather than accumulate to 140%

I haven't touched GT League because I don't feel "challenged" when I'm not up against humans.
I think that it's not so much the fact that there is a GT Mode that angers many of us who are not in favor of single player content vs AI but worries that PD might reallocate resources, that should be spent on tracks, and fleshing out of Sport Mode. Of course PD is a huge studio, and we don't know what teams work on what but I for one fear that PD haven't really made up their minds about what GTS should be, and will give in to the majority of buyers who are in for a quick fix, and who will leave GTS for the next hot PS4 title. Only, what's left then is a game with a small playerbase (those that got in for online in the first place), and neglected online content.
Let's not forget that this title was marketed as an online GT

What makes you think there won’t be plenty more mission races and license tests, and circuit experience in the future?

Even better to have GT League on top of all that.

I never thought of that! They need to add it for the new track ASAP!

I don't think GT League should be scrapped, but I am disappointed in the meager offerings found in "professional" and "endurance". Could have been much better but I'm keeping in mind that this was just released and will be much more to come. I guess it's pretty good, for now... seems I may be saying this again as more future content is released -- "pretty good, for now." :D

GT League needs a rally section and endurance races on Nurb 24h and Mount panorama. I can't believe there's only a 1 lap race on the Nordschleife which can be won with an N200, but it's so slow! No wonder it's called tourist trophy.

It's a pretty nice diversion already. I don't always like to wait for the next daily race to start.

That's odd, because I've been picking slower and slower cars and not bothering with any tuning.

And you get a 20% bonus to XP and Credits for each class below the maximum permitted, so I've been ambling around Sunday Cup (N400) in an N100 car and getting 60% handicap bonus and 50% clean race bonus*.

GT League is, as with the campaign mode of just about every GT game to date, what you make it to be. If you want to smash it with the fastest permitted car, do that. If you want to make it a challenge and go with slower ones, do that. Pretending that your way is the only way... don't do that.

*Which stack to 110%, rather than accumulate to 140%

You are assuming I picked the fastest car, I picked a slow car and the race to the top is incredibly boring. Some races can NOT be beaten by using a slower car such as the oval races / Ascari in Boxer spirit with anything other than an STI or tuned car . The race starts you a full 3/4th of a lap behind. The game puts a rabbit car a full lap ahead with 200 more horsepower than the " suggested" Grade. Unless it's a 10 lap race good luck catching it in the 6 laps you have, even if you are an alien. I have three PSN accounts at S/S/ A/S and C/C ( my main account which is used for lobby's) im not exactly slow by any means. Also you assume the grid is whatever the screen says it is, it's not, its just a suggestion PD puts. Half of the grid is significantly slower than that, unless you actually think the samba bus in Boxer spirit is N 500 or the 86's are N 500, they aren't, they are untuned.

Also to every one telling me " you can pick your own car against the grid" you can also do that in custom race. Im sorry you guys never bothered using your imagination or even trying the mode out. At least custom race doesn't add a range of cars from N 200- N 800 making 95% of the grid useless " pylons".

Last edited:
But isn’t this exactly what loads of GT fans cried out for? Hasn’t PD delivered what they were criticised for lacking?
Personally I’m finding it quite fun though Custom Race has been and will continue to be where I get my offline fun from mostly.

I think people might have incorrectly assumed that GT League would deliver something that resembled a racing league.

At least with the missions PD uses the excuse that they are 'scenarios' to justify the player starting half a minute behind the leader, in mismatched cars. They started the game off with the right idea, in the group 3 and group 4 categories, but relapsing into "FF Challenge" and "Midship Challenge" races with a disparate group of cars is a stale rehash, not immersive at all.

A refreshing idea if this were 1997, though.

I think people might have incorrectly assumed that GT League would deliver something that resembled a racing league.
At least with the missions PD uses the excuse that they are 'scenarios' to justify the player starting half a minute behind the leader, in mismatched cars. They started the game off with the right idea, in the group 3 and group 4 categories, but relapsing into "FF Challenge" and "Midship Challenge" races with a disparate group of cars is a stale rehash, not immersive at all.

A refreshing idea if this were 1997, though.

Mission races actually had cars matched closely to the N requirement, go try out The N 500 mission challenge at Dragon Trail. The top 5 cars put up a good race and the fastest car takes incredible precision and lap consistency to beat. GT league's Grade level is a suggestion and its the suggested GR level to automatically win.

Also, the AI in GT 1-3 was not under the influence of alcohol. in GT Leauge they wreck every other turn.

Back