PD should just ditch GT league and make more mission races.

• Thread starter KingFrog
  • 141 comments
It doesn't matter anyways. At the end of the day you either think it's worth the money or you don't. Simple as that, there is no need to justify either answer as they are both correct.

I think that it should matter. Many people act as if the cost of the game should entertain them with no additional cost added for years when at the end of the day it is no different than any other entertainment you buy or spend your income on.

Most sources of entertainment is usually over within a few hours of their purchase. I used to go to a lot of rock concerts years ago but if you look at the ticket prices which will usually give you an actual 2 1/2 hours of entertainment for their cost I no longer think of a concert as a good value when it can easily cost about 50.00 U.S. dollars per hour of entertainment.

The last time I figured my cost for GTS it was about .23 cents U.S. an hour and now it would even be less. That figure by the way was adding in PS+ at full price for two months for a full cost per hour the game was actually costing to play. Not adding the PS+ cost was down to 19 cents U.S. per hour played.

If I never played the game again there is no way I can say it is not a good value cost wise for the entertainment it has provided. Those cost will continue to go down as well.

So yes it really does matter as many undervalue the entertainment worth provided.

Oh the ignorance of that statement. Why aren't online only or online-focused games worth full price? In what world is it logical to say a 10-hour game. like the last of us. gives anyone more value as a game than a game like overwatch which can easily give you hundreds if not thousands of hours wort of gameplay? Just for the record I think overwatch is boring and think TLOU is one of the best games ever made, but to say online games aren't " worth 60$". That just shows how biased some SP only people are. This is coming from a person who prefers SP gaming to online gaming. I cant see why people find the same generic formula exiting and fun after 20 years, especial when its been getting progressively worst. I STILL play GranTurismo 1/2 on a near daily basis, the racing is actually fun in that game. I don't have to buy a POS car to have fun against Corvettes and NSX's, I can just buy a Corvette and have a decent challenge with close racing, even if the AI is on rails.

I find very few online-only games to be worth their price at launch. At launch, they are typically filled with people who just want to cause havoc for others and it really makes the game less fun. After a couple months, once the players who just flew by to play the flavor of the week are gone, then you are typically left with a group of really hardcore players that a.) don't like newcomers or b.) are so far advanced in the game, a casual player has zero chance of ever catching up.

Online shooters are a great example of this. Try to pick up PUBG right now and see how long you last in a match, chances are it won't be very long and you'll spend a majority of your time spectating. I'm guessing this is not fun for most people since they bought the game to play, not watch others play.

Alienating players who want to play the game, but aren't good enough to be competitive is a terrible business model. PD and Sony want GT to continue to sell so they need to add features that appeal to a wider array of gamers. And unless they go for the MMORPG model of a monthly fee, chances are sales will die out and so will the profits.

PD was smart to add a single player campaign to a game, especially after somewhat weak sales. By adding this mode, those who have zero interest of racing online but still want to play a GT game will more likely purchase the game. As more content is added, interest only goes up.

Your argument is flawed because you are assuming you don't know a games server population, It would be your own damn fault for buying evolve after the servers died. I could always say you don't know a games SP content, or its quality. I could say I don't like SP games because it depends on to many variables such as if devs will patch any bugs on disk, if the game's story has a satisfactory ending that doesn't make my time and effort feel cheated, if y save won't get corrupted halfway through, if the games actually any good etc. Plenty of good SP games have been shipped in a semi-broken state and you would have to take your chance and HOPE the devs patch the bugs. Example, Drive club, the devs supported it, but we could get mass effect Andromeda which was ditched in a buggy state. Stop being bias.

The thing with this is that typically a review will tell you everything you need to know about a single player game before you buy it. Those who bought Mass Effect Andromeda knew going into it that it was basically Dragon Age: Inquisition in space, had a flat storyline, was buggy as hell, and probably wasn't going to hold a candle to the previous titles. If you buy it after reading countless reviews that tell you that and end up hating it for those reasons, that's on you.

With online games, it's hard to give an accurate review prior to its launch since the servers aren't populated or at best are sparsely populated with other reviewers and Gamestop employees who open the boxes early. Even a beta phase isn't much to go on since games tend to change between their beta release and production release.

I think that it should matter.

And it does, but at the same time, it doesn't. That's why the whole thing is subjective and "your mileage may vary" is a saying.

For instance in one of your previous posts you listed 3 things, cable tv, movies at a theater and drinks in a bar. Those happen to be 3 things that don't interest me in the slightest so I wouldn't get much entertainment value no matter the price. Now swap those 3 things for books, vinyl records and race tickets it becomes a different conversation.

Most sources of entertainment is usually over within a few hours of their purchase. I used to go to a lot of rock concerts years ago but if you look at the ticket prices which will usually give you an actual 2 1/2 hours of entertainment for their cost I no longer think of a concert as a good value when it can easily cost about 50.00 U.S. dollars per hour of entertainment.

It's not always about dollar amount:hours entertained as there are varying levels of entertainment and enjoyment (and really breaking it down like that seems like a total buzzkill). It's like how some people eat, breath and sleep soccer/football while I can watch it but I can't really get into it. Are those fans wasting money? No, so long as they feel it is worth what they are paying. Now would it be a waste if I was spending the same amount on football stuff? Yes, because I wouldn't be getting anywhere near the amount of enjoyment out of it even if I spent the same amount of time on it.

And it does, but at the same time, it doesn't. That's why the whole thing is subjective and "your mileage may vary" is a saying.

For instance in one of your previous posts you listed 3 things, cable tv, movies at a theater and drinks in a bar. Those happen to be 3 things that don't interest me in the slightest so I wouldn't get much entertainment value no matter the price. Now swap those 3 things for books, vinyl records and race tickets it becomes a different conversation.

It's not always about dollar amount:hours entertained as there are varying levels of entertainment and enjoyment (and really breaking it down like that seems like a total buzzkill). It's like how some people eat, breath and sleep soccer/football while I can watch it but I can't really get into it. Are those fans wasting money? No, so long as they feel it is worth what they are paying. Now would it be a waste if I was spending the same amount on football stuff? Yes, because I wouldn't be getting anywhere near the amount of enjoyment out of it even if I spent the same amount of time on it.

Knowing this, I still don't understand why you hold the opinion Online focused games aren't worth 60$. Maybe not to you, but to many they are. Im not going to say 4 hours SP games aren't worth 60$ when iv played games like journey which were amazing 2-hour experiences. Heck, I paid 200$ to go see Iron maiden live about a year and a half ago now, people said It was a waste of cash but it was one of the best experiences I ever had. If you had said " to me online games aren't worth 60$" then id be fine, but you said, " online focused games .... Which just doesn't work as a value proposition for a full-price game. ". That's a blanket statement, not an opinion. It's like saying " well no chocolate bar is worth 25$ " as opposed to " i would never pay 25$ for a chocolate bar". don't try to retcon what was said.

Value per (currency unit per hour) is valid, but value varies for people, so really... is this going anywhere other than anecdotal stories?

Value per (currency unit per hour) is valid, but value varies for people, so really... is this going anywhere other than anecdotal stories?
Actually yes as a large number of gamer's seem to hold the attitude that they spend the purchase price for a game that they should be rewarded with years of entertainment for that initial purchase price rather than the few hours that same money would buy them for other forms of entertainment which they chose to purchase.

Prime example is the announcement that was made concerning the servers for GT6 will be shut down at the end of March 2018. The game released in 2013 but yet people are still complaining and acting like Sony and PD are villains for shutting down the servers after 5 years. What do people expect for 60 dollars U.S.?

Many people posting about the 100's of hours they have played and enjoyed GT6 but yet they still are not pleased and feel they are being wronged by the servers being shut down. I do not know what world these people exist in when 60 dollars will hardly by a decent meal with a couple of drinks any more.

Just do not understand where people want to complain so much, if you do not want the game regardless of type, genre or online- offline play do not buy it. simple actually.

You thinking having fairly basic online match making with no presents you can choose (race length or party play etc) and the GT League are both decent?
To me they seem below par for what they should be offering. If this was any other genre it would be woefully inadequate.

For me, the splitting of resources only makes both worse, rather than one or the other really good

:lol::lol::lol:

No wonder GT Sport post launch is such a mess, I didn't realise how much of a follower of the Peter Molyneux theory Kaz was :lol::lol:
I'd followed GT Sport from a distance, as I do with most GT games prior to launch and I did get the impression it wasn't going to be GT7... but there is Kaz saying the exact opposite...

Yep, I'm agreed that GTS was the victim of the poor planning and communication to its fans
If I was Kaz I'll release GTS first as F2P or lower-priced, online-focused spinoff title just for esport and online racing purposes (which also serves the same purpose as the PS2/3 prologue titles), and then GT7 afterwards with its bells and whistles using recycled assets and engine from GTS. But yeah whatever that happens, let it happen, and best of luck to PD trying their best for a behemoth task to please both old school offline and online fans

If I was Kaz I'll release GTS first as F2P or lower-priced, online-focused spinoff title just for esport and online racing purposes (which also serves the same purpose as the PS2/3 prologue titles), and then GT7 afterwards with its bells and whistles using recycled assets and engine from GTS.

Honestly that would've worked really well. When I cited the lack of content pre-launch some fans tried defending GT Sport as 'oh it's the Prologue to the REAL GT7!' - except that's not really true is it? This IS the next full GT game, but it also wants to be this online spin-off, but also wants to try and please the hardcore fans and single-player fans. And it was retailing at full-price. And said online focus also required players to pay more money for PS Plus.

The previous Prologue games were just that - basically glorified prologue titles. And an online-only game, like an expanded GT Academy demo, would've been great - people can get their hands on a new-age GT game physics and car models/handling etc, play online for hours, GT can hit the esports scene, and PD can also have time to keep working on content to fill a full new GT game with single-player AND multiplayer modes, content, cars, tracks, leagues etc.

A good chunk of the races are impossible to win with anything but a faster/ tuned car.. The Second boxer spirt places a Porshe in the back and on the last lap it will catch up to you . the only way to win is by blocking the car/ or picking another Porsche. no amount of skill is going to compensate for that cars incredible straight-line speed on the last lap. Thats' not rubber banding, that's just Pd making the car ramp it up to 200% on the last lap.
That`s not true. I won all three of those races in the Subaru with an AI Gt3 RS starting each race at or near the back. Maggiore and Nurburgring were won first try, the latter quite easily as I knew the track well, and though the Porsche beat me on my first attempt at Alsace, a switch to Sport Soft tires was more than enough to give the advantage back to me and give me an easy win. And the thing is, I`m not very good, I`m racing with a pad and have only been playing the game a few days. If I can do it, so can many many others.

That said, the Boxer Spirit is the most unbalanced of the races I`ve tried so far, largely due to the limited amount of cars with boxer engines in the game and the disparity of performance among them. PD chose to put one 911 at the back to give the player a chance to win with the cheaper Subaru while at the same time showcasing all the flat engined cars in the game and it sort of works. Not how I would have designed it, but it is playable and does give the player some options, though clearly not as many options as the other races.

The Midship race at Big Willow is one of the first races I did in GT League. It looks like a high rollers track day with a disparate bunch of expensive cars all spinning off the track, with the actual race starting with cars halfway around the track. Does not resemble anything like a race at all, really shameful stuff. The AI is a marginal improvement from GT 5 though.

Last edited:
Given the success of Gran Turismo over the past 20 years, I think PD's more than shown they know how to make a racing game.

Given the success of Gran Turismo over the past 20 years, I think PD has shown that they knew how to make a game that appealed to gamers in the 1990s and early 2000s. Given the success of Gran Turismo over the past 5 years, I think PD has shown that they're out of their depth in the modern gaming marketplace.

Let them work on the graphics and driving, because they're good at it. But let someone else design the actual core game loop. And definitely let someone else manage the project.

Given the success of Gran Turismo over the past 20 years, I think PD has shown that they knew how to make a game that appealed to gamers in the 1990s and early 2000s. Given the success of Gran Turismo over the past 5 years, I think PD has shown that they're out of their depth in the modern gaming marketplace.

Let them work on the graphics and driving, because they're good at it. But let someone else design the actual core game loop. And definitely let someone else manage the project.

Shue Yoshida worked at PD in the early days, no wonder those were their glory days.

GTsport is a good product but lacks Vision and direction, or went through a seriously troubled development.

The Miata race on Streets of Willow was some of the most fun I've had in awhile playing the AI. And for challenge, try running the RX7 bone stock in the FR races.

If you just tune for max HP/blah blah... then of course it's not going to be any fun. Make it a challenge for yourself and it will be so much more enjoyable. I am enjoying GT League. I just wish you got vehicles for completing an entire set.

I do not know what world these people exist in when 60 dollars will hardly by a decent meal with a couple of drinks any more.

Careful, your elitism is showing. You can't buy a decent meal and a couple of drinks for $60? Talk about :censored:ing high standards.

As for the rest of your post, I think some gamers find it a bit jarring that historically when you bought a game you owned and could play that game forever (hardware notwithstanding). Now with modern online games, that's no longer true. Now you're often paying for a limited window within which you can play the game. Add in to that some of the biggest online games are free to play (DotA, Starcraft, LoL) or nearly so (CSGO) and you can see how people start to question online only games with a significant price for entry and a limited play window.

If you cannot lose the 60 bucks you have no business buying a video game, bought a ps4 and an hdtv but can't take care of your business? WTH are we talking about here?

60 bucks, pfffft.

To some it's a lot, a really lot, those people should not be playing video games to begin with. What a silly argument.

I just finished the Mission Challenges. Surprised by the amount of gift cars I received(three). The End Movie is a cool one, after completing the 10 Lap Tokyo Expwy Mission.

I'd like to see more of these in the next game.

Why should they ditch it ? It doesn't alter the rest of the experience at all , it doesn't even count for the game completion damnit.

I actually don't think they are gonna ditch it. If it's just you who wants it out and not the 10.000 other people that play this game on a regular basis , then i don't think it's gonna happed.

Even if they are going to take it out , you would have a HUGE , and i mean REALLY HUGE part of the whole playerbase going ****ing nuts with GT League being ditched. Especially those who play GT Sport for the GT League exclusivey (if those even exist lol)

If you want more mission challenges . that's okay. But to ditch a whole campain just like that seems a bit extreme. Why not have both , more mission challenges AND GT Leage ?

GT Leagues is the single player story missions in multiplayer games like CoD.

People complain enough that they have to be included. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall of the PD offices between the time that they released the game to the time they patched it in.

Was it supposed to be there from Day 1 but they needed time to drop it in?

Or did they put it in after the backlash?

How much work is it make these league races from scratch?

I want career with spirit of motorsport: championships with qualifications; mechanical failures; managing team stuff and R&D (perks, upgrades)...these elements are present in F1 series, in Dirt Rally, in Project Cars 1-2, Motosport Manager...Why not, PD?!
Very late reply, but give PD some credit regarding this (what's with the pointing out positive = blind fanboyism?). The very first GT is literally all about Championships with Qualifying (and every GT game except GTS always had Championships, though Qualifying was only in GT3 and GT4), so it's not that PD is detached from that. The problem is why PD gives step back from their previous goddamn games. For R&D, just at least, there's comprehensive car tuning for GT (R&D is basically car upgrades).

Back