PD should just ditch GT league and make more mission races.

• Thread starter KingFrog
  • 141 comments
I took the GT League as an excuse to drive the RX-7 in as many events as humanly possible. I got a 60% bonus for one of the events, don't recall which one.

The last two midship races are seemingly impossible to win w/o tuning your car to the max, so buyer beware. The lead AI car is easy to catch up to, then super hard to pass, then once you do he'll immediately drop back to 3 seconds and then come storming back to your tail. Thankfully he isn't overly aggressive but its annoying for 8 laps.

Jerome

Last edited:
Nope what?
PD have themselves to blame for wanting to make something different for the first time in 20-odd years?

They came up with a successful format, and thus, cannot make anything else ever again without first satisfying the masses? How insane is that?
I love LOVE Metal Gear Solid, but Christ, I'm so glad he gets to work on something different...

Nope because you’re implying it’s somehow the consumer’s fault for being “too shortsighted” to appreciate GT Sport’s online focus. This new direction is apparently not working out how PD thought, so yes, it’s on them. They made this decision and now they have to deal with the backlash.

And you can do new things with your game without totally alienating your original audience by, I don’t know, including both Sport Mode and putting a decent amount of single player content in your game in the first place. Still not seeing the logic that the two can’t coexist. The bottom line is that people will race online if that’s what they already like doing.

Have a look at trophy stats for the offline portions of the game, either the majority of GTS owners are really bad at the game, or people simply aren't spending that much time in on the offline bits either.

Or maybe most people realized that the Campaign mode is nothing but a huge series of driving tests with very few actual races. You don’t have to play it very long to notice that. I wouldn’t be surprised if more people were using the custom race feature than progressing through Campaign mode.

Also, the stats for other racing games from my post I linked still show that online participation generally isn’t as high as some would like to think.

Release a new instalment every year at full price (with new cars and tracks). If PD were after nothing but money, they'd be doing that.

Except that modern PD is incapable of doing anything in less than two years, and even then it'll probably be delayed a year.

If you put them on a two year schedule like Forza Motorsport you'd still only get two games a decade. It's not a matter of "if they wanted to make money". They're simply incapable. They wanted to release GTS a year earlier, and look how that turned out. Scheduling and working to deadlines is not their forte.

I didn't really care for GT Sport prior to the GT League. I don't like racing online and the few races I tried in the game were horrendous. Others either got bent out of shape if you tapped them during close racing or were constantly purposely trying to wreck other drivers.

The missions were just glorified license tests and became really unexciting pretty quick.

Now that there's a GT League, I find myself actually wanting to play GT Sport. So much so that I've even set Forza aside for the time being and focusing purely on running races in the GT League. I hope to see it expand with future updates too.

Having a game where you can play a decent online mode if you want and a decent single player mode seems like a good strategy for a racing game. Especially from a brand like Gran Turismo which has been around for 20 years.
I'm with you. As for those saying get rid of it or they shouldn't have even made it well many of us could same same about online. Why cant we have both, you enjoy your online we will enjoy single player mode very much and many love both. I didn't touch Gt Sport much until the Offline Gt League Career mode was added now im been playing it for hours as I hate online and I'm a single offline player so I'm sure there's many that are like us and are grateful for this single player mode.

Except that modern PD is incapable of doing anything in less than two years, and even then it'll probably be delayed a year.

If you put them on a two year schedule like Forza Motorsport you'd still only get two games a decade. It's not a matter of "if they wanted to make money". They're simply incapable. They wanted to release GTS a year earlier, and look how that turned out. Scheduling and working to deadlines is not their forte.
I sense it's because they can. If I could have longer on a project I have some level of personal pride in to make it better I would take it. However, if my boss said you're losing your job is this takes any longer, corners will be cut, issues will be plastered over and out the door it will go.

My previous comment though wasn't about current releases, the yearly FIFA releases I mentioned are almost so similar you'd think they were the same game sometimes. The changes are minor, so minor even PD could do it in a year, every year. It's like they get paid DLC every year in the form of the whole game again + DLC for full price. The best part is no one cares. Yet everyone feels robbed by GTS :lol:

Nope because you’re implying it’s somehow the consumer’s fault for being “too shortsighted” to appreciate GT Sport’s online focus. This new direction is apparently not working out how PD thought, so yes, it’s on them. They made this decision and now they have to deal with the backlash.

And you can do new things with your game without totally alienating your original audience by, I don’t know, including both Sport Mode and putting a decent amount of single player content in your game in the first place. Still not seeing the logic that the two can’t coexist. The bottom line is that people will race online if that’s what they already like doing.

I guess "nope" because it's pretty clear that GT League was in the works pre-launch and had little to do with customer feedback and more to do with internal struggle with the games direction.
Though it is clear through the threads post launch, that people come to GT for one reason, and refuse (angry) to allow the team to try anything new with the franchise.

It takes PD incredible amounts of time and money to make a traditional GT game, something we see after ever major release. Why the hell people seem to think and expect them to put together a fully featured GT while also pushing out something like Sport at the same time is insane. But then again, people thought that the 1.10 patch would bring GT Mode to GT Sport :lol:

The two can exist, and kind of do (like they always kind of have)... but not really (like they always kind of have)... you can be the jack of all trades, and master of non.
I think GT Sport would have been better served to be the master of at least one, it (in my mind) should have had that chance. The prior numbered games had the chance to be the number one console sim/collect and upgrade-a-thon...

Ultimately the blame lies with Kaz, but it's really quite frustrating to see the 'die hard' GT fans (who else would go to the trouble of posting here in the first place), so wilfully and joyfully reject any change in direction after we've had 20 years of pretty great games, all doing essentially, the same thing.

He did? I thought he had been saying the opposite, hence why GT Sport was called GT Sport and not GT7.

The average joes have had 20 years of the proper GT they love, makes sense they would feel the need to be entitled to another one of the same games rather than something new
20 years, damn dude, now I feel old...
I've been playing since 2001.

I'm okay with this GT being the only GT for the time being. PD is already showing that they want to expand on this iteration, and they are doing okay at it. They just have to fix certain things of which I'm sure they will eventually.

I took the GT League as an excuse to drive the RX-7 in as many events as humanly possible. I got a 60% bonus for one of the events, don't recall which one.

The last two midship races are seemingly impossible to win w/o tuning your car to the max, so buyer beware. The lead AI car is easy to catch up to super hard to pass, then once you do he'll immediately drop back to 3 seconds and then come storming back to your tail. Thankfully he isn't overly aggressive but its annoying for 8 laps.

Jerome
Thanks for the info. By the way, any idea why the Huracan is blocked from the Midship Challenge? I can't choose to drive it. It's listed in the opponent listing though.

Thanks for the info. By the way, any idea why the Huracan is blocked from the Midship Challenge? I can't choose to drive it. It's listed in the opponent listing though.

Probably a glitch/mistake. Just like the Luxury Sports Car one is supposed to be for cars over 10 million credits when not one single car costs that much :lol: #oops #HireMeToPreventThisPD

Jerome

Last edited:
I really like GT League - I enjoy being given set races and cars to race for a reward. Sometimes the casual aspect is what I am looking for.. after a few beers not wanting to race against people online but against an AI that I don't feel bad if I choke and take them out. Hopefully they continue to build on it and add some "series" with points and a chance for a reward car.

The AI rabbit chase thing is played out. I would prefer a warm up lap, qualify lap, then the race with a more directly competitive AI but I can always go to Assetto Corsa for that.

it's really quite frustrating to see the 'die hard' GT fans (who else would go to the trouble of posting here in the first place), so wilfully and joyfully reject any change in direction after we've had 20 years of pretty great games, all doing essentially, the same thing.

A change in direction is one thing, having that change introduce **** bags into my game experience is another. Just my two cents.

A change in direction is one thing, having that change introduce **** bags into my game experience is another. Just my two cents.

Get better?
Like I understand that idiots exist, but I’ve had better racing in SRS than I’ve ever had offline in any GT game. Not wanting to play online is fine, but to try and take that away from others seems insane

Get better?
Like I understand that idiots exist, but I’ve had better racing in SRS than I’ve ever had offline in any GT game. Not wanting to play online is fine, but to try and take that away from others seems insane

Who's talking about taking anything away? I'm talking about why I am prepared to reject the new direction of GTS.

Anyway, that's great for you, but others experiences may vary, and that varying nature of online play is one of the reasons why I don't really like to play online.

Get better?

I don't think anyone is suggesting ditching the online part of the game. In fact, it's actually the complete opposite here, people are advocating taking away the single player experience.

With GT being out for 20 years, those who started back in 1997/1998 got used to the standard GT game and it's understandable they continue to want it on some level.

I get evolving the series, but many online only games tend to die out rather quickly. It stands to reason that in order for the series to survive, they need to incorporate single and multiplayer modes.

I might be an old school gamer, but for me online gaming is terrible outside a couple of stints with KOTOR MMORPG on the PC. I'd wager you'll find several people with in that school of though too.

I for one have fallen back in love with Gran Turismo after the introduction of GT League. It has made even the other aspects of the campaign more enjoyable, as I now feel a sense of variety. I bought this game at launch and played it for about 3 hours before it putting down in October, only occasionally booting it up to show friends what a good implementation of HDR looks like. Since the introduction of GT League I've put in about 7 hours over two days. That includes not only racing, but also taking photos, completing driver school, doing missions etc. it's like I have a brand new game. I'm very pleased, and am looking forward to new tracks.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is suggesting ditching the online part of the game. In fact, it's actually the complete opposite here, people are advocating taking away the single player experience.

With GT being out for 20 years, those who started back in 1997/1998 got used to the standard GT game and it's understandable they continue to want it on some level.

I get evolving the series, but many online only games tend to die out rather quickly. It stands to reason that in order for the series to survive, they need to incorporate single and multiplayer modes.

I might be an old school gamer, but for me online gaming is terrible outside a couple of stints with KOTOR MMORPG on the PC. I'd wager you'll find several people with in that school of though too.
By the studio focusing on offline content, they are unable to focus on the online content. To my mind anyway, Sport mode would be better than it is at the moment if the team hadn’t worked on the League mode.

By the studio focusing on offline content, they are unable to focus on the online content. To my mind anyway, Sport mode would be better than it is at the moment if the team hadn’t worked on the League mode.

I guess I still don't understand that. I'm guessing the League mode didn't take very long to implement at all. All they did was create races in a similar fashion as the custom races, then organized them into "cups" and "events". The graphic artist might have needed some time to develop the screens, but past that it probably wasn't a ton of effort on their part.

Now if there were prize cars, a scoring system, online leaderboard, etc. then sure, it would have probably taken a little longer but still not a ton of effort.

Also just because they focused on X doesn't mean they forgot about Y. The same thing happens all the time when people ask why PD used their resources to develop a car they don't like and that's the reason a car they do like isn't in the game.

We cannot trust them to do anything within a reasonable time frame. That's a concern, and it really needs to change so we spend more time playing and less time waiting. They have to stop doing things on their own terms and take a hint from other players in the market.

I love playing Sport Mode, but at the same time I want to have a GT3/GT4 like career mode where you actually start from a little MX-5 and make your way up to LMP1. Sadly, GT League feels like a half-assed attempt at this and I've only done one cup in it. We need a GT3 style career mode desperately with the same aggressive AI which actually make life difficult for you. For the moment, I'm sticking to Sport Mode because the racing is more intense and closer to the racing I so dearly miss from GT4. I know there's idiot drivers but you have to expect that when you enter an online race. Some may hate the online aspect but I absolutely love it, because proving yourself to real people is lot more satisfying than doing it to terrible AI. Yet I cannot ignore the reality; the GT Mode we all know and love is absent. Even with GT League, the issue still hasn't been rectified.

What is actually in the new GT league that was not really already available in Custom races besides being told you win a trophy at the end of the race and actually racing against a worst AI opponent in gt league than what was already available in the custom races?

PD's development team is probably laughing their ass off at all of the people oohing and ahhing about the new content that has actually been in the game since launch just called something different namely custom race with a smarter AI.

The dumber AI in gt league was probably done on purpose to reflect how people fail to comprehend what the game was capable of.

...Uh, hate to break it to some of you, but the Custom Race mode isn't really as wide-reaching as some make it out to be. Yes, you can set most settings, but as of right now, the opponent categories are limited as you can only choose from one-make, N400, Gr.4, etc. You can't make it so you can only race against Ferraris or against cars with the same drivetrain, against boxer engines, etc., like in previous GT Modes. That's what some of us are looking for.

They could've easily implemented such options instead of giving us the GT League, yes. But I imagine it might've been too much work for them and a little tedious to put all that into the drop-down menu, so that might be why they gave us the GT League, instead. And honestly, I prefer it this way, what with the flashy menu banners and car liveries in-race. Makes it feel legit, really.

Yeah, you don't win prize cars in the League, but it's kinda pointless when the Daily Workout exists. Kinda.

Have a look at trophy stats for the offline portions of the game, either the majority of GTS owners are really bad at the game, or people simply aren't spending that much time in on the offline bits either.
What people are doing is what they do with every racing title around, they sample a very small part of it and then put it on the shelf or trade it in.

The most likely reason is that they are not primarily racing game fans, but game fans, and GTS or NFS or F1 2017 are just games for them.

70% of them haven't even reached driver level 15, which can be done without setting foot online and just running the lesson content. That stat has been pretty much static since GTS launched.

I've been saying this for a long, long time. The vast majority of people who buy racing games are not dedicated racing game fans, they are gaming fans and they will play it for as long as it holds attention. Which clearly is not long at all. Those of us who post in forums like this are a small minority of the people who have bought GTS (or most other racing titles for that matter).

This exact pattern exists for every racing title with trophies on both the PS3 and PS4.

Last edited:
I for one have fallen back in love with Gran Turismo after the introduction of GT League. It has made even the other aspects of the campaign more enjoyable, as I now feel a sense of variety. I bought this game at launch and played it for about 3 hours before it putting down in October, only occasionally booting it up to show friends what a good implementation of HDR looks like. Since the introduction of GT League I've put in about 7 hours over two days. That includes not only racing, but also taking photos, completing driver school, doing missions etc. it's like I have a brand new game. I'm very pleased, and am looking forward to new tracks.
Same here for me. Got it on release played for a few hours and put it away until the league update. I've put 15 hours in the last 2 days single player. We need both off and online. There's no reason both side's can't have both as it always has. I bet even some of the die hard online racers will enjoy break from online and appreciate some off offline time.

The point of AI is to replace/replicate the human experience. Since the tech exists to have humans as opponents, why rely on the AI for any other reason that to give you someone easy to beat?

People want AI that drives better than a professional driver (in other words, no mistakes that make it seem stupid) but not drive so well as to be unbeatable. Bit it's all neither here nor there. The League is pointless because there is no ultimate reason to play it. You don't win exclusive cars, you don't progress the game, and there's no achievement. I guess money and XP are gained, but, meh.

In my mind, it seems really simple to copy the GT League setup over to Sport. Then, you just click "Sport" and select GT League from the drop down just like you do with the Campaign. Then, whatever they add to the offline (if they add anything) they can add it to the online, and vice versa.

Why shouldn't there be a daily race under campaign? Easy, medium, hard.

...And they need to bump up the difficulty of hard. They need to go back to GT1 and allow the competition to be running tuned cars.

The point of AI is to replace/replicate the human experience. Since the tech exists to have humans as opponents, why rely on the AI for any other reason that to give you someone easy to beat?

The problem I have with online is that if you want to race anything other than the most popular car/track you are highly unlikely to get a full room on a moments notice. Clubs and leagues are also very difficult for me as well considering my work day can be anywhere from 8-12 hours a day.

Sony should just ditch PD and hand GT over to a studio who knows how to make racing games.

Given the success of Gran Turismo over the past 20 years, I think PD's more than shown they know how to make a racing game.

What they need to do is get a bigger team and potentially outsource some things like modeling. This way they can focus more on gameplay, driving physics, and overall content.

I enjoyed the old Gran Turismo Games a lot, but in GT5, I very much enjoyed the challenges they had over the cups. I skipped GT6 and in GT Sport, I've enjoyed the challenge of getting golds in the Driving School and doing the Mission Challenges. I was happy to have more single player content, but I can't imagine it being more fun than the challenges/missions.

It'd be great if they go ahead and continue to add more of both (challenges and cups/races).

Given the success of Gran Turismo over the past 20 years, I think PD's more than shown they know how to make a racing game.

What they need to do is get a bigger team and potentially outsource some things like modeling. This way they can focus more on gameplay, driving physics, and overall content.

That's like saying Activision know how to make a shooter, when in reality their last good one was Modern Warfare 2 in what 2010? CoD is great - as long as you ignore the past 3 years... Sold well though...

Absolutely agree, outsourcing well everything.

The problem I have with online is that if you want to race anything other than the most popular car/track you are highly unlikely to get a full room on a moments notice. Clubs and leagues are also very difficult for me as well considering my work day can be anywhere from 8-12 hours a day.

There is a race every twenty minutes.

Back