PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Recovered 11,000 DR points in my stint, with no penalties last night. Whether that’s the clean driver curve that happens as the week progresses we’ll see.

I guess I can’t complain, but yeah I can bc I’m still pissed about losing 30,000 because PD can’t give a single **** about their online community.

Do we think anyone on the PD team actually plays online? Like surely a single person could try it sometime, and realise just how bad it's become

I think some of the issue is, PD put far to much faith in the player base having a proper understanding of racing.

The system in it's current state is bad, but so are a lot of driving/racing standards. Some of the "victims" are as bad as the "aggressors".

People still accelerate into potential danger. People still drive with "their right of way" even if an impact or and incident is unfolding in front of them. I still maintain that if contact occurs, both cars should get the same penalty imo. Get rid of the blame game and just get the right parameter on the strength of impact. Nudges and brushes are racing. Anything above a nudge, and all involved get a penalty (just like damage in an impact).

Any system that tries to apportion blame will get worked out and gamed by a lot players because, well, humans are trash in the grand scheme of things.

The SR system has a lot to answer for as well. SR:S should be the absolute pinnicle of driving/racing/sportsmanship and an understanding of racing in general.

This was discussed to death before, during and after 1.13 and it's still discussed today. Through all the changes, the common denominator is idiot drivers. That isn't the games fault.

Recovered 11,000 DR points in my stint, with no penalties last night. Whether that’s the clean driver curve that happens as the week progresses we’ll see.

I guess I can’t complain, but yeah I can bc I’m still pissed about losing 30,000 because PD can’t give a single **** about their online community.
You really grinded it out. :cheers:

But yeah, no penalties for light/incidental contact that I've seen after doing a bunch of races so far. On occasion, you might see a orange down-arrow SR pop up if you make bad contact with another driver, but no penalty. Happened to me last race and SR went from 99 to 95 so not that major. Been knocked off course around a curve twice now and the other driver didn't get a penalty but I'm just happy that I'm not getting one as was the case before. To me, that's a victory. Races have been pretty clean so far but I know others have had the opposite experience.

Just finished a couple of C races. So far I've noticed that SR downs are now quite easy to get, deliberate punts in heavy braking zones (one of which I carried out myself on one especially aggressive idiot who very clearly knows nothing about no contact racing) are now penalized immediately (3s in my case) but divebombers still get a free pass with the penalty going to the victim. So, they definitely did something with the system which is (at least for me) a good sign but it is far from perfect.

I think some of the issue is, PD put far to much faith in the player base having a proper understanding of racing.

AMEN to that. 👍 Except it might actually be the only issue with it. :lol:

It's gotten to the point that people are legitimately thinking that you are at fault when they divebomb you.
deliberate punts in heavy braking zones (one of which I carried out myself on one especially aggressive idiot who very clearly knows nothing about no contact racing) are now penalized immediately (3s in my case)

That's great news to hear!

but divebombers still get a free pass with the penalty going to the victim.

That one, not so much.

but divebombers still get a free pass with the penalty going to the victim

I can bet this has something to do with the algorithm noticing "turn-in, into an impact" and apportioning blame to the outside car. If both players were to get a penalty in this case, I'd hope both players would try to avoid contact, and more thought given to overtakes instead of the current, "I've caught them so I must pass them in 2 corners regardless of what happens" because they are safe in the knowledge that, having the inside during contact is less likely to induce a penalty for them.

They need to simplify the system as much as possible and then lean more into the SR ratings imo.

Just watching Rory Alexander (EERIEISSSS) playing iRacing on his stream "iRacing Whilst Gran Turismo Sport Is Broken" made me think. I bet the YouTubers could force PD to fix the penalty system. If every single YouTuber of any significance stopped publishing GTS content, and made it clear in the name of every stream or video that they're playing other games until PD fix the GTS penalty system, I bet some resource would magically become available to sort the mess out.
Rory has done just that: decided not to play GTS until they fix it, and posted a YT video stating that he will do I-Racing exclusively for the near future.

Others will hopefully take his lead.

Rory has done just that: decided not to play GTS until they fix it, and posted a YT video stating that he will do I-Racing exclusively for the near future.

I dont know if it's a Kaz thing or Japanese culture but Polyphony seems to approach things like "this is my game and we will only make the changes we feel are necessary regardless of what the GT community calls for or wants".

Hardened the right to race. In iRacing only racers with class D are allowed to race for championship.

So for rookies they are being forced to race with 0 incidents before being graduated.

And therr are leagues that only accept high DR/SR.

In current GTS standard, watch some videos and everyone can race.

Hardened the right to race. In iRacing only racers with class D are allowed to race for championship.

So for rookies they are being forced to race with 0 incidents before being graduated.

And therr are leagues that only accept high DR/SR.

In current GTS standard, watch some videos and everyone can race.
If the SR system worked as intended it would be the same in GTS.
The problem is that PD assumed that the players would want to race for real and that the videos would be the guideline for online behaviour.
Unfortunately the guidelines are what works best in the current penalty system so no sportsmanship.

It's not just the penalty system, although that is the most glaring issue and would make huge steps forward.

I keep on having this feeling that PD is waiting to address a lot of the issues in the next title. Problem is no one's going to buy the game if things keep on going the way it is.

Last edited:
I tried one race today, got hit about a dozen times by the same Brazilian who was trying to push me off the road on the straights, over and over and over. No penalties issued, door banging is racing... That's it for me this week, maybe next week brings new 'joys'
JZLXZxt.jpg

Spa was still fun with broken penalties, still good racing after lap 2. This week, no fun. The little bump is from giving the FIA kart race a few attempts, but it wasn't worth it.

What are we going to get tomorrow. An SR disaster at Interlagos or free punting, or both.

People still accelerate into potential danger. People still drive with "their right of way" even if an impact or and incident is unfolding in front of them. I still maintain that if contact occurs, both cars should get the same penalty imo. Get rid of the blame game and just get the right parameter on the strength of impact. Nudges and brushes are racing. Anything above a nudge, and all involved get a penalty (just like damage in an impact).

Yes. This BOTH OR ALL involved.

Any system that tries to apportion blame will get worked out and gamed by a lot players because, well, humans are trash in the grand scheme of things.

I think that people take the position that if no foul is called it’s legal play under the rules.
In FIA races that’s what I’m doing going forward. I’ve now learned that I can shove people into walls on corner entries and take only sr down or nothing.

That’s what really sucks is how the defective system evolves the players behavior.

e legitimately thinking that you are at fault when they divebomb you.

Yes the system is so messed up if it’s all they know they are confused about right and wrong.

One reason I generally race only sparingly is I don’t like the aggression levels at plus minus 40k it makes me drive in a way I don’t enjoy.

However given this stupid virus thing I will be playing more, so my stance is I am going to knock people out of my way and ONLY apologize if I get a penalty (unless I know them)

I’m playing by the rules if I don’t get a foul called.

The answer is so easy to do just do shared fault.
Until then I am recognizing that this game is a destruction derby not what I prefer but..,I will play it as such...

In case anyone is on the sidelines wondering about the new system, I raced yesterday a LOT and there’s really no penalties. You can punt people as hard as you can under braking and at worst get 1-2 seconds.
Divebombing doesnt trigger anything. You can t bone people at apex from 100 yards away and get nothing.
Each time they make an adjustment things get worse.
What’s wrong with scrapping everything they have tried and going back to what it was at the start where contact was not allowed and both cars got pens for it?

I will still race because Interlagos but I do not expect anything but continued ridiculous dirty racing.

If you like Interlagos I’d say take a Mustang and brake check/hug inside or the other option is handling car divebomb into inside everywhere. You can run off a bit on inside on entry in the light handling cars with the added advantage being you might give out an unwarranted pen in the process.

In case anyone is on the sidelines wondering about the new system, I raced yesterday a LOT and there’s really no penalties. You can punt people as hard as you can under braking and at worst get 1-2 seconds.
Divebombing doesnt trigger anything. You can t bone people at apex from 100 yards away and get nothing.
Each time they make an adjustment things get worse.
What’s wrong with scrapping everything they have tried and going back to what it was at the start where contact was not allowed and both cars got pens for it?

I will still race because Interlagos but I do not expect anything but continued ridiculous dirty racing.

If you like Interlagos I’d say take a Mustang and brake check/hug inside or the other option is handling car divebomb into inside everywhere. You can run off a bit on inside on entry in the light handling cars with the added advantage being you might give out an unwarranted pen in the process.
Do the punters receive SR Downs for their actions? If so, they'll end up dropping from SR S like a rock i'm hoping?

I'm around 30 wins away from platinum on GTS. So i really do need some clean racers around or behind me.

Do the punters receive SR Downs for their actions? If so, they'll end up dropping from SR S like a rock i'm hoping?

I'm around 30 wins away from platinum on GTS. So i really do need some clean racers around or behind me.

Nah, sr down is very hard to get. Anyone decent will be s all the time on sr.

What I personally want is something fair.
Right now fair means divebomb.

Why won’t they just make all contact equal a penalty to both????
At least once you are s.

In the level I am at I get matched always with cheats and yet they always stay s because if they drop a rank to say A they are matched into an easy win and free sr.

Pretty much once you have a bit of speed on NA at least you can cheat every single race and stay s sr all the time.

Interesting info guys. I'll have to improve my quali at Suzuka later and try it out. I'm a race C fanatic but the idea of Interlagos divebombers just doesn't do it for me this week. Think I might grab that platinum trophy then become a public lobby guy. The stress that Sport Mode and the penalty system can cause you is substantial in my opinion.

If SR Downs are the punishment for contacts then i'm all for it. At least they'll sink down into the Wreckfest playpen with all the other toddlers :lol:

(Not a Wreckfest game jibe. A GT ram noob jibe)

One bump Saturday put me from 99 to 85 so I’m not so sure about that. SR ups are scarce now though it seems.

Maybe it’s somehow lobby dependent.
I got crashed out punted.
I punted sideswiped bumped...All in one race and still came out s last night.
I punted the guy who rammed me first so hard I took pretty severe engine damage...
Of course that was in a lobby that came after the c race I did where the guy t boned me last lap and gave me a red s.
I want to believe you are right but how could I stay s with all that mess?
I liked the racing at Maggiore better and on karts before with more pens...
I will see tonight at Interlagos how things work out at 99.
Maybe it gets more strict at 99, or that’s my hope.
One guy that punted me yesterday in an AMG
I drove 2 wheels off to get to his inside rear quarter panel in the hairpin after Degner 2, shoved him to the marbles.
No sr down no pen so ...
What is a possibility is that the game forgave because he hit me first. In all instances yesterday for me the cars I touched contacted me first.

Edit if they are smart they made it so it’s super strict at 99

Edit I think one problem I have is running in A S the standard seems to be bumper to bumper and shoving people wide is accepted by those guys and treated as normal for passing but let me catch backup and do the same and pass and suddenly it’s a war.
It’s a mentality I don’t understand. Whether they hit on purpose or not doesn’t matter they still hit me and slowed me or ruined my race.
Could be they know if I get ahead they won’t catch so they try to take me out lap 1.
Either way they are still in the wrong and deserve to get what’s coming to them.

Pens for all contact would fix my troubles on these lobbies. Half the field would be in pen zone almost every lap.

Last edited:
Interesting that no one posted here for 2 days

Apparently even the most interested ones gave up on the "Penalty System" :lol:

Maybe that shows that everyone who likes clean racing has given up on daily races or even Gran Turismo altogether. I know it has been over a year since I have really raced any daily races, I race in leagues or private lobbies or I dont play at all.

Maybe that shows that everyone who likes clean racing has given up on daily races or even Gran Turismo altogether.
Not me - did a couple of Gr.B Nations lobbies yesterday and will keep playing GT Sport for as long as the current global situation persists. Doesn't matter what I use the game for - Sport Mode races, custom liveries, Scapes, whatever. The most important thing for me concerning GT Sport is that it still offers plenty of play value and helps keep me going during this difficult period.

With what's going on in the outside world, I feel less compelled to complain about imperfections in the revised system and treat it as anything other than a quirk I can put up with. It's not ideal, but far from the worst thing that could affect me right now.

People got bigger fish to fry.
Me personally, I’m ok with the penalty system for now. A lot better than it was a week or two ago.

Me, personally, I’ve been at Interlagos at C race and it’s been super fun and clean at 99sr A dr.
I’ve noticed the system has improved in that the dirty players aren’t getting into my lobbies rn.
Super fun race where you have to manage available resources.
:)
Also ran non sport mode lobby for karting last FIA set things to A S minimum and had fun races with a couple aliens.
Things have been really good on my end.

Back