PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Yep, I've had to change up the way I race by entering corners at the tightest of the corner/apex. Leaving your door open invites the driver behind to barge pass or PIT maneuver (like in the video above) and trigger you with a 1 sec penalty if contact is made at your inner-side.

By doing so, often a driver will know to back out or if they do make contact at your bumper, it usually triggers SR down (-10 SR) for them.

That's what gets me the most here, I didn't exactly leave an opening for him to exploit or force his way into. Simply the fact that I wasn't hugging the inside line well before the corner is enough for him to PIT me.

In the past I've been hit here when I was on right on the inside, the idiot was on the grass trying to get past.:banghead:

You can't stop some of them from trying things like this whatever you do, only limit the chance (as you did) and hope no one tries something stupid. A better penalty system is the only thing that could stop this.

That's what gets me the most here, I didn't exactly leave an opening for him to exploit or force his way into. Simply the fact that I wasn't hugging the inside line well before the corner is enough for him to PIT me.

I agree but the problem is you can't stop dumb who'll try to drive past at all costs without acknowledging you're on the track with them. Unless you trust your opponent to not make contact by leaving space, you'll likely be punished under the current system because it's nonsense.

Trust on the track is important and it's very difficult to trust a random online opponent in this game when time and time again, many have shown me they'll try anything dirty to get past. I therefore think it's best to minimize risk by entering corners tighter. Polyphony don't seem interested in changing the system so this is what we have to work with, sadly.

I agree but the problem is you can't stop dumb who'll try to drive past at all costs without acknowledging you're on the track with them. Unless you trust your opponent to not make contact by leaving space, you'll likely be punished under the current system because it's nonsense.

Trust on the track is important and it's very difficult to trust a random online opponent in this game when time and time again, many have shown me they'll try anything dirty to get past. I therefore think it's best to minimize risk by entering corners tighter. Polyphony don't seem interested in changing the system so this is what we have to work with, sadly.

This is it right here.
Even though that big wide entry is faster for overall lap time you can only do that when you have space.
In this game random players are not to be trusted.
Guilty until proven innocent.

What a GT-R driver. Cant even call him an arsehole as those serve a useful purpose.

I take offence to that comment :grumpy: :lol:

Is there a 'thing' with GT-R drivers on GTS? I've only had a handful of races so far so I'm not quite clued... I - for obvious reasons - prefer to drive GT-Rs but I don't want that to mark me out as some moron. The only thing I try to do during races is avoid any kind of contact (even of that means losing a position, I'll happily let an idiot past).

Is there a 'thing' with GT-R drivers on GTS? I've only had a handful of races so far so I'm not quite clued... I - for obvious reasons - prefer to drive GT-Rs but I don't want that to mark me out as some moron. The only thing I try to do during races is avoid any kind of contact (even of that means losing a position, I'll happily let an idiot past).

The gr3 GTR is the car of choice for dirty players from say...15-40k dr or so.
Hard to control and fast makes it great for the nose sticker crowd, that and it’s brakes aren’t the best...Gr 4 is worse because AWD so they get a bad rep, some is the nature of the car but a lot is also because a lot of dirty players use it. It’s fast and who needs brakes when you have cars ahead? Smh
I think also, wheel users tend to have an advantage with respect to dirty play. Jmo

@Groundfish - I am the least dirty player in any race I've taken part in so far (often to my detriment). It does make me wonder though, if people will think I'm dirty purely from my (current) low DR, because I do love my GT-Rs and don't want to change. Granted, there are plenty other cars.

Having been on SR S since getting the game in 2017, in the space of 2 days since returning to the game after a year break, I am now down to SR C! All from either being punted off on the inside, or even from someone gently nudging me while passing me on the inside. I've tried going for the inside line, but when so many people are going for it, you lose some much time, you may as well not race. I have a lot of fun racing in this game when you aren't being unfairly punished and most of the racing is actually fair, even on SR B, but can't understand how they've made such a mess of this system. I don't race online on any other racing games. Is there a racing game that has got the penalty system right?

@Groundfish - I am the least dirty player in any race I've taken part in so far (often to my detriment). It does make me wonder though, if people will think I'm dirty purely from my (current) low DR, because I do love my GT-Rs and don't want to change. Granted, there are plenty other cars.

It’s just s stereotype of that car, at certain levels. Usually the ones to watch out for run stock livery...
Run what you like! Those cars are exceptional quality, in the right hands..
Cheers

@Groundfish I run stock livery :lol:

Ironically I'm always more wary of cars that have liveries like the Jolly Roger or 'subway train' style Graffiti.
You can tell I'm new to it.

@Groundfish I run stock livery :lol:

Ironically I'm always more wary of cars that have liveries like the Jolly Roger or 'subway train' style Graffiti.
You can tell I'm new to it.
Make or find a detailed well made race livery and less people will assume you as dirty. Then prove you are clean and the people who recognise you will know to trust you.

Last edited:
The gr3 GTR is the car of choice for dirty players from say...15-40k dr or so.
Hard to control and fast makes it great for the nose sticker crowd, that and it’s brakes aren’t the best...Gr 4 is worse because AWD so they get a bad rep, some is the nature of the car but a lot is also because a lot of dirty players use it. It’s fast and who needs brakes when you have cars ahead? Smh
I think also, wheel users tend to have an advantage with respect to dirty play. Jmo

See I find Porsche drivers the worst offenders, with Ferrari next. I've been taken out by more of these drivers for no reason than any others.

My first grievance...

Started 9th, and miraculously made up 3 places within 2 laps. I’d be happy with 6th.
Anyway, half way through lap 3 I get rammed off, drop to 11th, come back on, going well, rammed off again, get a warning on screen:

“YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF PENALTY TIME”

Huh? I was rammed off track and couldn’t move. So I finished last :indiff:
I’m at D/S now tho, so that ultimately wasn’t affected (it improved). Weird.

Is there a racing game that has got the penalty system right?

While debatable whether 'right', Assetto Corsa Competizione and iRacing use a shared fault system for contact between cars. An advantage of using this type of system is that drivers who are consistently making contact with others will inevitably drop down in ratings while the clean who do their utmost to avoid contact will find themselves moving up in rating and racing with similar drivers. This makes sense to me since assigning blame can be difficult.

GTS used to be like this but with timed penalties for both parties, if only timed penalties were toned down or replaced with SR down, I feel that GTS would be poised to be in a better spot for quality and clean racing. Although since the game has become more simcade over time, I can only assume Polyphony were scared of losing market share to the GTA and Wreckfest crowd hence the change to what the system is now.

See I find Porsche drivers the worst offenders, with Ferrari next. I've been taken out by more of these drivers for no reason than any others.

911 is def on my list too, but so many choose it...911 is for diff reasons, handling and brakes...Many times they think they can outbrake and turn everyone causing them to try late moves inside, also trying to make so much time in turns leads to sliding outta control...
Not many people I see choose Ferrari...
911 is just numbers...There’s soo many in my races...GTR scares me always when behind because they are fast...911 is relatively slow...

You're just joining at a time when GT-Rs have been the naughty boys. They are so massively OP at Monza that their bad brakes lead to people aiming for passes the car can't complete because they have too much faith in their power advantage, or they end up rear ending the driver in front while slipstreaming because they are so much faster and don't realise how much worse their brakes are. Probably 50/50 jerks vs mistakes by the end of the week there. That and with the current FIA races the GT-R was so overpowered at Le Mans that it could actually drive away from the slipstream. In my instances I've also found that because it is such a giant tank it doesn't seem to move much when it bumps other cars so I think sometimes drivers don't notice all the hits whereas the Mustang I was driving would get spun to oblivion in the same incident.

But there are plenty of clean fun drivers in Godzilla still. Had a good race with one the other night at Interlagos when I was trying to avoid all cars entirely to recover SR. He got punted lap 1 and when he caught up to me we just moved through the carnage clean, even getting beside me a few times but never touching.

Hello all,

First post here.
I’m just an average driver who started back on racing games just a few months ago.

I have a S rating in fair play because I tend to be v careful and I hang around 99 all the time.

Currently with Red Bull Ring being my favorite track, I am pushing many races on there and getting up and better and in fact leading most of my laps… Whether I start 1st to 4th, I end up by turn 2 or 3 finding the way to the lead without pushing people…

I made a mistake, I agree, but I’ll defend myself and say I was forced to do a mistake.

Start a nice race at the 4th spot with good competition, turn 1 goes well, then I overtake guy number 3 quite easily… and get into the lane of the 2nd guy in order to overtake him around the turn 2 or just after…

However this dude just did not appreciate me trying to overtake him so started the classical trying to push you on the side in a straight line so yeh I just slowed down a little but as he pushed me again, I lost total control of the car, couldn’t break anymore and here comes turn 2 and the leader, BOOM, right on the side…

I am supposing, both me and the guy who kept kicking should have gotten a penalty… Well no, guess who got one? The leader in which I simply crashed into who had done nothing and myself who of course deserved one for taking someone out.

That guy who raced like a dog got nothing, so I really am confused how it all works…

It was a hard race because then the previous leader who clearly didn’t understand why I crashed into him tried to take me out of the race all along… Being side by side at the final corner, I decided to let him past me and give him the 3rd place… Ended being all good and we got in a party and raced but I still don’t workout how the fool doesn’t get a penalty

Look at this, did I deserve these two penalties? Even the second one, the guy in the white car is who punt the other guy and send him out of the track but the penalty is for me, and of course, from 99 of SR to 84 points in just two turns and without making any fault...

Ok... White guy is douchebag... I'd say ok if hit him a little on Corner 1 but you don't get a penalty for that, but you get penalized by him pushing you off...

I was trying to be as close as I can but giving enough room for everyone, even in the first corner, he cut my lane to divebomb the other guy and in the next corner he cut through the sand invading my lane again in the exit but I couldn't do anything there, I even tried to open the lane enough to evade him but he hit me and then penalize me, and then with the red car, I hit him because, again, the white car pushed him forcing him to brake and then I hitted him. In a normal race, despite of the driving style of the white car, nobody would be penalized for this actions, It's just unfair because none, except me, lost any position or time.

Ok... White guy is douchebag... I'd say ok if hit him a little on Corner 1 but you don't get a penalty for that, but you get penalized by him pushing you off..

He's not a douchebag. He's just an idiot who knows nothing about racing and (according to the game) did nothing wrong. He doesn't get any penalties for this kind of driving so why would he change anything about it? He just assumes that this is how it's supposed to be done because nothing tells him otherwise. Oh, man. This game has become such a joke. It's sad.

He just assumes that this is how it's supposed to be done because nothing tells him otherwise.

Yep, this is another problem. While an SR down may have flagged (or not and that's of course much worse), I think many dumb don't acknowledge or know the meaning behind it and continue going about their business as if nothing was wrong since no slow down penalty or reason was given.

Rather than a little orange SR notification appearing, a reason should be given along with it. Maybe similar to ACC:

7fff258e8f.jpg

Other than two sportsmanship introductory videos which explain little, resources are very sparse in this game to tell someone who is new or doesn't know what is right and wrong within the rules of racing.

Got myself back up from SR C to A again yesterday and was on 99 points. Last race, I was hit 4 times, received down SR and time penalty each time and now on SR A with 70 points! Lost 29 points in one race and none of the contact was caused by me. One of the times I was hit and spun off the track! Such a joke that this can happen. Just encouraging cheating now.

Just returned to GTsport after a six month absence..... Wow what a **** show.

I forgot how wooden the cars feel and what a joke the penalty system is.

Slight door rub.... One second penalty.
Smashed from behind.... Three second penalty....

I think this game will be uninstalled again and i will continue with project cars 2 and AC and go back to GT5.

GT7 needs to be a vast improvement for me to return.

Just returned to GTsport after a six month absence..... Wow what a **** show.

I forgot how wooden the cars feel and what a joke the penalty system is.

Slight door rub.... One second penalty.
Smashed from behind.... Three second penalty....

I think this game will be uninstalled again and i will continue with project cars 2 and AC and go back to GT5.

GT7 needs to be a vast improvement for me to return.

Couldn't agree more with everything you have written and especially the last sentence. PD have actually managed (with their unbelievably stupid decisions) to dissuade a lifelong fan of the franchise (me) from buying the next instalment. I am very seriously considering buying ACC when it finally hits the PS Store. And if I do (which I probably will) I am not coming back. Because I can't take this incredibly stupid and nonsensical decisions anymore. This is not a "real driving simulator". It's a 🤬 playground full of 🤬 kids and no one watching them. I'm so disappointed.

I ended up with more than 30 negative SR over the course of one afternoon, for contact initiated by others every time... It's really disheartening. I drive clean. Very clean. But the system is screwed up and rewards the guys who bully through, while punishing the victims. Took me ten daily races to correct just two races' worth of unfair SR reductions. I saved the videos but it's too much trouble to post every one. They're all the same anyway: guy rams you from ten car lengths back, divebombing into a turn, you get the SR reduction. Or you defend from a guy that pushes through a pack, you get the SR reduction.

Have you guy see nascar truck on road track ? Quite similar experience like in GTS. Spot On.

Problem with GTS is car control, using controller is hard ( for me ) to not hit another person while using wheel / pedal is so much easier.

Since gts players are 99% controller drivers, it is expected, and most of them is sitting on the couch 10 meters away from TV.

Back