PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

i really hope i'm wrong but i'm afraid they will just copy paste this dumpster fire of a system into GT7 , they dont care now why would they care then?

My hope is that they're rebuilding it from the ground up for GT7 and to them it would make more sense to release it with the new title rather than to try to rush it out and patch it into an existing title. I hope.

But I fully acknowledge that your fears are a very real possibility.

i really hope i'm wrong but i'm afraid they will just copy paste this dumpster fire of a system into GT7 , they dont care now why would they care then?

I'm thinking the same and I hope we are wrong too and it's natural people are filled with expectation of improvement but all I can picture is SR down with prettier graphics.

PC sims continue using shared fault systems and PD has exhibited how difficult it's to develop a system trying to determine fault. Chances are it was the same for Kunos, Codemasters, iRacing etc hence their decisions to continue using shared blame.

Unless GT7 has something revolutionary in-store and PD have taken on-board 178 pages of feedback here and countless videos/complaints elsewhere then I remain doubtful.

Last edited:
Okay, fine. I misjudged. When I first saw him going over the crest, I thought he was going into the gravel and took a normal line at normal speed. I was wrong and when he recovered the only hope I had was to try to go to the outside. I'll take the race penalty for that. Sure. But SR down for guessing wrong? I thought SR was sportsmanship not psychic abilities.

I don't know why this incident is stuck in my head and stewing - but shouldn't it be as simple as when a driver goes off-track it's their responsibility to re-enter the race track safely? How hard is it to code that rule into a penalty or SR system?

I don't know why this incident is stuck in my head and stewing - but shouldn't it be as simple as when a driver goes off-track it's their responsibility to re-enter the race track safely? How hard is it to code that rule into a penalty or SR system?
I didn't see any steering correction to get back on the track, and at the last moment it looks like he's swerving left to interfere. Regardless, the car was obviously going to be an obstacle after the corkscrew before the car behind floored the throttle as he entered the corkscrew. A bit lighter on the gas and tighter inside would have been my choice. Maybe you would have cleared him going wide, drivers choice here.

Again. Race penalty and SR down arrow. Not to mention that a few turns earlier the same thing happened to someone else, while the driver causing the incident gets off scot free.

I'm really glad I made an alt for dailies but I'm still going to have to find a way to rebuild the DR on my main before the next FIA season.

And before anyone says anything - yes, I should be a better driver, anticipated it earlier, slowed down and swerved left to go around him. I'm sorry, I'm a crappy driver that isn't good enough to avoid people swerving back onto the track right in front of me. PD should still be able to figure out a way to not penalize the victim every single time in these situations.

Last edited:
And before anyone says anything - yes, I should be a better driver, anticipated it earlier, slowed down and swerved left to go around him. I'm sorry, I'm a crappy driver that isn't good enough to avoid people swerving back onto the track right in front of me. PD should still be able to figure out a way to not penalize the victim every single time in these situations.

True, it could had been avoided but it's easy to say that when watching a replay since you're not in a heat of the moment and I get what you're saying. Mistakes and erratic driving of the lead car is largely ignored from the system's PoV except obvious brake-checks. It doesn't look at context, saw you were the last point of contact and gave the penalty (without reason I'll add) to you.

If the system checked context, car orientation and steering of the lead car, it could determine the cause was unsafe driving. The game has knowledge of car orientation in relation to the track since he'd ghost at SR E/DR D. Although avoiding an accident is a skill, I don't think you should foot all punishment. Equal blame, maybe.

Ironically, you saved his race since he was about to smash the barrier.

Last edited:
My hope is that they're rebuilding it from the ground up for GT7 and to them it would make more sense to release it with the new title rather than to try to rush it out and patch it into an existing title. I hope.

Good theory, however GT Sport is the perfect beta test ground for the penalty system. it can't get any worse :/ It worries me they haven't made any significant changes since early this year.

Maybe, hopefully, we do get a new system, but it will need to be tweaked again as people will always find ways to game the system. Might as well test it now and find the weak spots before GT7 releases. Yet perhaps FIA isn't done yet? (I haven't followed it anymore) and PD doesn't want to radically overhaul the DR/SR system while competitions are still going.

So the 'silence' can both be good and bad. A drastic new approach might be in the make that's simply not compatible or too disruptive to test out in GT Sport. Or PD is so busy getting GT7 ready for early 2021 that the penalty system will have to wait. The online portion is still the 'unimportant' part when you look at the numbers.

As Sven so eloquently stole my thunder, GTS is the test bed for what PD plans for GT7. We are a willing set of guinea pigs.

Or, you know, ghost the spinning car.

tenor.gif

the funny thing is that GT7 will still be the game that will make me get a PS5

Watch this if you like a good accident.

This is a fine way to overtake according to the penalty system. :lol:

At this point I think the system is the worst it's ever been, when I do something wrong I get away with it at least half the time and yet when I couldn't have done anything or were not at fault or it's no big deal then I get a penalty most often. It really is no wonder people drive as they do, you are punished for clean driving more than being careless/intentionally dirty. :crazy:

:gtplanet::cheers:

Last edited:

At this point I think the system is the worst it's ever been, when I do something wrong I get away with it at least half the time and yet when I couldn't have done anything or were not at fault or it's no big deal then I get a penalty most often. It really is no wonder people drive as they do, you are punished for clean driving more than being careless/intentionally dirty. :crazy:

I'm surprised you didn't get a penalty for being on the receiving end of the torpedoing at the hairpin.

I said a while ago that the penalty/SR system is so bad right now that all they need to do is reverse whatever conclusion the algorithm is currently arriving at and it would correct 90% of the problems with the system.

I'm surprised you didn't get a penalty for being on the receiving end of the torpedoing at the hairpin.

I said a while ago that the penalty/SR system is so bad right now that all they need to do is reverse whatever conclusion the algorithm is currently arriving at and it would correct 90% of the problems with the system.

Yes, it did deduct Sr but that was it on this occasion. I was a 🤬 earlier on one driver, who you could argue deserved it, although I still shouldn't have done it and only got a two second penalty, I've got more for being smashed off the track, it's so random. :irked:

I've removed myself from most of it now by qualifying with the Soft tyres instead of the Mediums. :)

Last edited:

Right? I literally always get a penalty for something like this. :lol: But what I love the most is when I get the "Forced another car off the track" penalty when I've been forced off the track by someone. That's just brilliant stuff. Seriously, who the 🤬 programmed that? I hope that the people responsible for this have seen an example of it somewhere and are really embarrassed. :lol: But no worries. There's an update coming on the 13th. I bet PD will fix it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've removed myself from most of it now by qualifying with the Soft tyres instead of the Mediums.

Yeah, that helps quite a lot. Low 46s is a piece of cake on softs. That should put you to the front of the grid with people who somewhat know what they're doing.

Last edited:
I let a car pass me to get him off my tail, but he kept getting in the way and ate it at a corner while I passed him with plenty of room. For the next 3 races he was taking petty revenge for his own crappy driving, and I caught back up every time except for the last race... He punted me at the first corner but I countered it and gained 5 places into 2nd for his stupidity. The entire race was him punting me and me catching back up because he wasn't faster. I got tired of playing NASCAR at the end of the last lap and DQ'd myself by playing cone catcher in reverse. If PD could find an algorithm to stop the petty revenge race after race by the same idiot that ruins it for everyone... I'd be happy with that.

Watch this if you like a good accident.

I've thought for a while that cars rejoining the track should be ghosted, especially when they're completely out of control like in this case, would also stop people dive-bombing like that when you're already on the very inside of the track.

I've thought for a while that cars rejoining the track should be ghosted, especially when they're completely out of control like in this case, would also stop people dive-bombing like that when you're already on the very inside of the track.

Accident or idiot, sometimes they ghost and other times not, it's not consistent at all.

I thought it was some stupidity during the race but from the replay I see that this driver made a genuine mistake, that's what a slight touch of grass can do there, which was very unfortunate for me and great luck for them that I was there to bounce off. :lol:

Last edited:
They’ve been tinkering with a flawed concept long enough!

You know it’s bad when they won’t even make an option for a replay that explains the penalty.

Of course they can’t do this, because not even PD knows why these penalties get awarded.

How can this go on this long and all that’s done is little tinkers?

No matter how much you adjust the sensitivity of contact allowed you can’t fix the fundamental design flaw which is trying to assign blame...

So the penalty system is even worse now after the new update? If so PD better be expending A LOT of effort on GT7 to make up for it.

DR discrepancies makes sense.

I'll just leave this here. Dude got nothing, nada, finished the race with no penalty.

The driver without penalties is DR C while the victim he consecutively hit and punted off at 0:35 is DR B. The mentor and superior concept just doesn't work in this game. I understand the higher DR is to set an example of race craft and sportsmanship for the lower DR to follow but how on earth can they prevent a lower DR from smashing into their rear. Race craft isn't going to save them from malice. That's before I mention DR resets which make a mess of it too.

Last edited:
I am here again with extreme frustration over the ridiculous penalty system that GT Sport can’t get right. Twice this morning and many times yesterday I was given penalties for the lightest of touches to other cars which didn’t knock them off the track nor loose position and I didn’t even feel them. One driver even messaged to say that was an unfair situation.
I race clean and I’m normally a B S on my profile.
Why can’t GT Sport sort this out?
It is ruining the game!!
Also the update this week is rubbish!!!
Only one new car? Really??
This is also putting me off from spending hundreds of pounds on a PS5 and GT 7

Yesterday it seemed like the lobbies were a lot more hectic than usual, and I got three consecutive clean race bonuses on races where I absolutely had contact that would have counted against me previously.

This morning I had a race where I was hit from mid-corner three laps in a row by three different drivers. Every single one of the resulted in a one-second penalty for me. I didn't block anyone or close the door, I was literally rammed, and on two instances, forced out of the way when there was no space for someone to make a move.

It's absolutely absurd that the car in front can take the normal racing line/ normal speed through a corner, and the game determines they're at fault when someone hits them from behind.

I know we complain about penalties a lot, but the SR system absolutely needs to be strict to keep dirty drivers in the dirty lobbies.

Since the update I'm finding cars ghosting more often, penalties still given to the recipient of a pushover, and cones on the track sending cars in the air multiple times in multiple races.

Back