PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

PD are probably done making changes with GT7 on the horizon, it's months since an update. Imagine the reaction of people if the same system is migrated over to GT7, lol.

Although I wondered if rear contact impact severity for triggering SR Down was changed recently. I've made light and feint taps to cars from behind without SR Down when a few weeks ago, I did get them. I do get SR Down with more force. Maybe it's me but something I noticed.

Side contact remains problematic among issues since launch. Very far and wide from what I'd call a final revision. What I haven't liked with the current system is punishing rear cars for incidents created by front drivers like braking suddenly and losing control of their car with no time to react. Pretty sure stewards would punish the lead car for dangerous driving and causing the incident in the first place.
I got SR down for touching a rear bumper ever so slightly,I couldn't hear it, I couldn't feel it. Still,SR down. Then another incident, I was ahead, couldn't feel it, couldn't hear it, SR down.

I got SR down for touching a rear bumper ever so slightly,I couldn't hear it, I couldn't feel it. Still,SR down. Then another incident, I was ahead, couldn't feel it, couldn't hear it, SR down.

I've gotten SR downs for light taps to the rear bumper as recently as last night. Sometimes I think they've tinkered with it then I have nights like last night. It's still a mess that makes no sense and honestly, seems inconsistent, as well.

Well like I said, maybe it's me.

I did several Goodwood races today. Small tap at the chicane and along Woodcote, no SR Down. You're right about inconsistent.

E: No immunity to penalties cheat enabled, only grip hack. ;)

Last edited:
Last week I got spun during the first slot FIA Nations race, got hit from the back twice as I was spinning, 4 secs of penalty, SR back to 40s. I was so mad that today is my first day thinking about GT Sport again. That's why I am only here now after all these days.

That was both my attempts at Nations this weekend. The second resulted in a DR reset.

I am an A/S daily racer using $2K worth of nice gear. Been racing GranTurismo for many years and have always found myself having fun more often than not. But since the introduction of the penalty system, I have been struggling to keep that experience. After years of grappling with the penalty system and adjusting my skills to find a way to keep "fun racing" happening more often than "pain racing", I have given up. I now feel that the treachery of other drivers is preferable, being more predictable and easier to navigate than the random indifference of the penalty system serving up its' capricious nonsense.

After quitting for weeks, starting up again and then quitting again for over a month. I thought maybe I'd try again thinking I might be able to squeeze a little more fun than pain out of it.

It didn't happen. Leading lap 1 going into lap 2 I nicked a barrier on the inside of a turn which slowed me down slightly and the car behind me which was not at all in close quarters with me caught up without altering his line and bumped me from behind. Neither of us crashed and I remained in the lead. However, a 4 second penalty appeared for "causing a collision".

That was it. I DNF'd it right there. Rather than be tempted to play GTSport again, I pulled the disc out of the machine and snapped it in half.

Anybody want to buy a nice gaming chair and Thrustmaster GT? Good condition, priced to move!

I am an A/S daily racer using $2K worth of nice gear. Been racing GranTurismo for many years and have always found myself having fun more often than not. But since the introduction of the penalty system, I have been struggling to keep that experience. After years of grappling with the penalty system and adjusting my skills to find a way to keep "fun racing" happening more often than "pain racing", I have given up. I now feel that the treachery of other drivers is preferable, being more predictable and easier to navigate than the random indifference of the penalty system serving up its' capricious nonsense.

After quitting for weeks, starting up again and then quitting again for over a month. I thought maybe I'd try again thinking I might be able to squeeze a little more fun than pain out of it.

It didn't happen. Leading lap 1 going into lap 2 I nicked a barrier on the inside of a turn which slowed me down slightly and the car behind me which was not at all in close quarters with me caught up without altering his line and bumped me from behind. Neither of us crashed and I remained in the lead. However, a 4 second penalty appeared for "causing a collision".

That was it. I DNF'd it right there. Rather than be tempted to play GTSport again, I pulled the disc out of the machine and snapped it in half.

Anybody want to buy a nice gaming chair and Thrustmaster GT? Good condition, priced to move!
Don't give up. I almost did but kept coming back. Daily Race A is a good place to hone the skills needed to beat the penalty abusers. Don't worry about getting DR reset.

Last edited:
You know how many times I wanted to snap my disc in half, then burn it? I'd most likely spend $20 on it again after a few brews.

Thanks, fisheye- i appreciate your encouraging words but I'm done with it.

At least with the pre-penalty version of GT one could avoid the madness of dirty drivers by entering a lobby race run by someone valuing clean racing. Anyone getting too brutal would get booted, but quick! After a while the clean guys would get to know each other and congregate regularly for super fun clean racing that might go 3 - 4 hours at a time. Some sessions were more fun than others but there were never bad ones, ever.

Now you can't even escape to a lobby race. The penalty system **** show follows you there. It's just too **** up for me now. A buddy of mine races the expensive PC set-up so maybe there's hope I can continue racing.

Just unbelievable that Polyphony, or whoever makes GTsport, is asleep at the wheel on this issue. HEY! You guys even give a **** out there? Don't you keep an eye on gtplanet? I'd be embarrassed to work for a company like this.

The whole point of a playing a video game is to have fun, right? This gtplanet topic is running strong for years now for a very good reason. The issue is real you idiots. Fix the damn thing already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Experience avoiding or countering others moves isn't in the license exams. Race A is the next license. It's fun getting around them now, except when my left hand gets a tremor and sends my Porsche into a wall.

Saw it coming... There was plenty of time to slow then cut inside and drive on.

Okay, fine. I misjudged. When I first saw him going over the crest, I thought he was going into the gravel and took a normal line at normal speed. I was wrong and when he recovered the only hope I had was to try to go to the outside. I'll take the race penalty for that. Sure. But SR down for guessing wrong? I thought SR was sportsmanship not psychic abilities.

Last edited:

At least with the pre-penalty version of GT one could avoid the madness of dirty drivers by entering a lobby race run by someone valuing clean racing. Anyone getting too brutal would get booted, but quick! After a while the clean guys would get to know each other and congregate regularly for super fun clean racing that might go 3 - 4 hours at a time. Some sessions were more fun than others but there were never bad ones, ever.

Now you can't even escape to a lobby race. The penalty system **** show follows you there. It's just too **** up for me now. A buddy of mine races the expensive PC set-up so maybe there's hope I can continue racing.

Just unbelievable that Polyphony, or whoever makes GTsport, is asleep at the wheel on this issue. HEY! You guys even give a **** out there? Don't you keep an eye on gtplanet? I'd be embarrassed to work for a company like this.

The whole point of a playing a video game is to have fun, right? This gtplanet topic is running strong for years now for a very good reason. The issue is real you idiots. Fix the damn thing already.

I've taken a couple breaks since it all went to **** early this year, came back, took another break, only saw it getting worse and now haven't raced in months. I tried it all, not giving a crap, 'mastering' the lower SR lobbies etc, yet at some point just surviving the race isn't enough anymore. Even the victories from last just felt hollow with hardly anyone on the track to have a decent race with.

I have not snapped the disc (GT3 deserves that honor with its cheating AI) which would be pointless anyway since I switched to the digital version last year. Yet to leave the game like this after 12 thousand sport mode races, bleh.

It has been great fun, got to concentrate on the good times and just accept that GT Sport has run its course when it comes to finding clean and fair racing. Blame the pandemic, big influx of gamers that made it seem the penalty system changes only made the game more popular. Meanwhile a lot of the more serious clean/fair drivers have either moved on or adjusted to survival racing.

Hopefully GT7 starts with an entirely new SR/DR system.

Saw it coming... There was plenty of time to slow then cut inside and drive on.
You're being ridiculous.

The only sensible thing to do in that situation is to go wide and leave space for the guy to rejoin, like barak did.
Stopping on the racing line in the middle of the Corkscrew is a terrible idea. And he would have had to stop in order to be able to cut inside without clipping the rear of the other car.
The only reason there was contact was because the Canadian drove straight across the track after rejoining.
He didn't even attempt to turn right and was headed off on the opposite side at a 60-70 degree angle.

Do you guys think when PD increased the difficulty of getting clean race and bump up SR is actually encouraging you to spend less time on the game? I mean I got a DR reset in the middle of the FIA season, then I really needed to tip toe around to make sure I get a S SR for the FIA races, which means I spent less time on daily races. I dun think it's such a good idea given that.

You're being ridiculous.

The only sensible thing to do in that situation is to go wide and leave space for the guy to rejoin, like barak did.
Stopping on the racing line in the middle of the Corkscrew is a terrible idea. And he would have had to stop in order to be able to cut inside without clipping the rear of the other car.
The only reason there was contact was because the Canadian drove straight across the track after rejoining.
He didn't even attempt to turn right and was headed off on the opposite side at a 60-70 degree angle.
Not in the direction he was pointed. Maybe going wide might have made it, but not if you t-bone him.
Edit: In slow mo he turned into you. Or is it?
Who said anything about stopping in the middle of the corkscrew?
Missed you Sven

Last edited:
Started race A with an SR of 82. Got 3 SR downs because the clown behind me kept tapping my rear bumper. Not hard. No one went off the track. But I now have an SR of 56. On what flipping planet is this a fair system?

I am not sure I understand your "pre-penalty" statement since it doesn't really apply (in my opinion). I race all the time in lobbies that are run by someone valuing clean racing, look for S420 or Kermit_2142 as examples of people who always run clean lobbies. You will enjoy the racing. If you find anyone getting too brutal they get warned and then booted (if needed). I would recommend you reconsider because there are good lobbies out there.

I am not sure I understand your "pre-penalty" statement since it doesn't really apply (in my opinion). I race all the time in lobbies that are run by someone valuing clean racing, look for S420 or Kermit_2142 as examples of people who always run clean lobbies. You will enjoy the racing. If you find anyone getting too brutal they get warned and then booted (if needed). I would recommend you reconsider because there are good lobbies out there.
Also, what's the pre-penalty version? I have been racing since X-mas 2018 and there has always been a penalty system in the game.
Granted, it's more stupid than ever.
Let's see what happens on the 13th.

Also, what's the pre-penalty version? I have been racing since X-mas 2018 and there has always been a penalty system in the game.
Granted, it's more stupid than ever.
Let's see what happens on the 13th.

I'm thinking that it goes full stupid on the 13th. I raced for a few months before the penalty system was in place. For me personally, it would have neither hurt nor helped my DR. I spent those "pre-penalty" months just getting used to the game's physics. I would have said that maybe a penalty system when I started would have gotten me to learn more in those early months. But we still have new players coming in now that don't know the game physics or some don't care. I've said that I would wait until GT7 comes out before getting a PS5. But thinking about it now, I may wait for a "penalty system is screwed up" thread in the GT7 section of the forum before buying.

Last edited:
I may wait for a "penalty system is screwed up" thread in the GT7 section of the forum before buying.
I am waiting for a "penalty system is screwed up" thread in the GT7 section of the forum before buying PS5 or GT. I'd like to see a "Penalty system is finally fixed" thread.

I'm thinking that it goes full stupid on the 13th. I raced for a few months before the penalty system was in place. For me personally, it would have neither hurt nor helped my DR. I spent those "pre-penalty" months just getting used to the game's physics. I would have said that maybe a penalty system when I started would have gotten me to learn more in those early months. But we still have new players coming in now that don't know the game physics or some don't care. I've said that I would wait until GT7 comes out before getting a PS5. But thinking about it now, I may wait for a "penalty system is screwed up" thread in the GT7 section of the forum before buying.

Never go full stupid.

I am waiting for a "penalty system is screwed up" thread in the GT7 section of the forum before buying PS5 or GT. I'd like to see a "Penalty system is finally fixed" thread.

i really hope i'm wrong but i'm afraid they will just copy paste this dumpster fire of a system into GT7 , they dont care now why would they care then?

Back