PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

It’s the worst I’ve ever seen it right now.
All ranks filled with angry jerks, the higher up sr you go the better they are at cheating.

You're right it only gets dirtier further up the SR ladder. I wandered into SR.A just now and was not prepared for the new level of dirty going on in SR.A. Rammed back to B.

I agree 100%. The dirtiest races I've had recently, by far, were at SR S. That means something is really wrong with their Sportsmanship system. I did a race from the back (Gr. 2 at Suzuka 2 weeks back) and it was an SR S lobby! There were 2 players who were tapping, punting, blocking and sideswiping cars off the track the whole race and they both finished with blue S!!! And all the victims finished either red or even ranked down to SR A or B. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!!! I got demoted to SR B just because one of them was on fresh tyres and kept tapping me for half a lap. Each tap was an SR down for me. :lol: And don't even let me start about the penalties I got last week at the Ring. That's another level of ridiculousness. :lol: Three years of tinkering and adjustments and this is what we get??? It's 🤬 embarrassing!!! They should just admit complete failure and turn it off ffs. Even a random number generator will get better results than this "system". This is an insult to us, loyal customers. I'm not touching GT7. EVER. I will not support ignorance, arrogance and incompetence with my money.

I agree 100%. The dirtiest races I've had recently, by far, were at SR S. That means something is really wrong with their Sportsmanship system. I did a race from the back (Gr. 2 at Suzuka 2 weeks back) and it was an SR S lobby! There were 2 players who were tapping, punting, blocking and sideswiping cars off the track the whole race and they both finished with blue S!!! And all the victims finished either red or even ranked down to SR A or B. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!!! I got demoted to SR B just because one of them was on fresh tyres and kept tapping me for half a lap. Each tap was an SR down for me. :lol: And don't even let me start about the penalties I got last week at the Ring. That's another level of ridiculousness. :lol: Three years of tinkering and adjustments and this is what we get??? It's 🤬 embarrassing!!! They should just admit complete failure and turn it off ffs. Even a random number generator will get better results than this "system". This is an insult to us, loyal customers. I'm not touching GT7. EVER. I will not support ignorance, arrogance and incompetence with my money.

For me it has directly affected my decision to get a ps5 or not. If GTS was still good I would have pre-ordered one months ago, faster loading, faster patching, sign me up. Now it's the first time since '98 that I haven't jumped into a new generation at launch.

I won't say I'll never get GT7 cause I'm weak and will cave when I see the Nordschleife with real time weather or full racing in PSVR 2.0. Online is another matter. If my kids weren't piggy backing on my ps+ I would be cancelling it now. GTS is (was) the only game I play online.

I still did a ton of races on N24 last week, the track is too addictive to me. Out of about 80 races, I've only met a handful of good clean drivers who I could have a fair clean race with, going through multiple corners side by side giving each other plenty room. The rest of the time, stay well behind and wait for them to go wide enough to squeeze though without them having the option to pivot back into you, because they will. I've never seen as much dirty blocking and pushing people off as last week.

Here's an example from yesterday, state of play, bullet hell. Not sure what SR range that was in, doesn't really matter anyway :banghead:

Of course all that shoving and punting also helps clear the road. I had 20 victories last week and many more fastest laps, my fastest lap was an 8:19. All but a few felt like hollow victories though, from last to a 16 sec lead just by avoiding penalties, that's not racing.

I ended in SR.A (79) after a dozen or so DR resets during the week :lol: Last night it finally started to calm down a little bit. I couldn't be bothered to go on to restore my SR, the higher SR lobbies are just a messed up mix of slow tip toe drivers trying to hang on to their SR (still blocking until death anyway) and the usual win or die crowd. On avg close to half the room quit during the race, so starting last, you're guaranteed to move up

The thing I noticed most is how many people have left :ouch: Less than 10 of the old regulars spotted during the week. The penalty system has destroyed the game.

Last edited:
This is typical of the penalty system at the moment.

It doesn't need a penalty and certainly not to me and what about the pushing from them afterwards. :banghead: At least I didn't get a shortcut penalty too, that's happened before when I've been pushed off like this. :banghead:

:gtplanet::cheers:

I am starting by saying you are a better racer than me so I am probably way off base here. After watching the replay from the "guilty" yellow Mazda racer I am of the opinion that they are only guilty of "lack of spacial awareness". The steering wheel from their cockpit and from the replay shows the steering wheel in a strong left hand turn. The car just appears to moving wide under a fanning throttle - a little understeer condition? The following "pushing off" again seems to me to be "lack of spacial awareness". They probably did not know you were there (since they were not using the radar function and apparently not the mirror). Should you have lifted a little and not pushed up their right side until their car could stabilize? What if they were to rocket to the right? It would have taken you with them.

I believe that there should not have been any penalty and should have been recorded as a racing rubbing incident. Just my opinion.

Enjoy your racing!

I believe that there should not have been any penalty and should have been recorded as a racing rubbing incident. Just my opinion.

The initial contact? Sure. The continued contact that forced @ASH32 off track? No, the yellow car should have been penalized. Spatial awareness is a requirement for racing, every racer needs to be aware of what's going on around them. The lack of awareness is the reason for a penalty not an excuse to get out of one.

I think on the initial contact they were hit from behind, so there's no issue there, the game thought otherwise and blamed me, who knows why. :indiff:

The pushing after is too common, I could have found some much worse than this (cars in front doing to each other or other ones involving me) and from various other people, in both regions, I don't know why it mostly goes unpunished. :ouch:

ASH had a right to racing room. Ridiculous penalty.
I’ve noticed however the game seems to allow a bit more elbows out now in slow corners. If you have inside, that is.
I’d never attempt around the outside on that hairpin.
If there’s a car behind me close and I’m ASH I tuck in behind the Brazilian hug inside curb drop to first-cover minimum distance stay safe get outta there.
Now, if I’m ASH and there’s no one immediately behind me I’d brake early, let that Brazilian get ahead on entry and try to time a late apex crossover and pass him up that way.
I know hindsight’s 20-20, but 9 times from ten drivers on NA will run deep and wide there if they are pinched tight by a car on outside on entry.
It’s good to know most NA drivers can’t hold an alternative line in any vehicle so take precautions, take advantage.
What ASH did was perfectly fine racing, had he been racing a pro driver, however this was GTS..,,therefore he got screwed.

Last edited:
I think on the initial contact they were hit from behind, so there's no issue there, the game thought otherwise and blamed me, who knows why. :indiff:

The pushing after is too common, I could have found some much worse than this (cars in front doing to each other or other ones involving me) and from various other people, in both regions, I don't know why it mostly goes unpunished. :ouch:

What I noticed last week (and how to avoid penalties) is that it's back to the system from last December. There is contact between two cars, one car loses a position, the other gets a penalty.

In this case, your penalty pops right at the moment the yellow car gets passed by the American, thus loses a position, thus you get a penalty. When there is contact you can not complete a pass and only hope the other car doesn't lose a position to someone else for 3 or 4 seconds after the last contact.

If you are already ahead you can freely brake check or force other cars off the road as long as they don't get passed by someone else. If you get hit from behind by someone who then gets passed by another car, you get a penalty.

This is typical of the penalty system at the moment.

It doesn't need a penalty and certainly not to me and what about the pushing from them afterwards. :banghead: At least I didn't get a shortcut penalty too, that's happened before when I've been pushed off like this. :banghead:

It looks like DR differences. He's DR D while you're A. The system seems incredibly lenient with the DR below the other and it's illustrated in the video. As the higher DR, I guess you were supposed to hit the brakes, yielded your position and made sure you were nowhere near him.

By forcing you wide and practically off the track, he'll now know in future not do it again despite receiving no punishment. :dopey: Once again, the 'mentor' and 'superior' relationship doesn't work in this game.

What I noticed last week (and how to avoid penalties) is that it's back to the system from last December. There is contact between two cars, one car loses a position, the other gets a penalty.

In this case, your penalty pops right at the moment the yellow car gets passed by the American, thus loses a position, thus you get a penalty. When there is contact you can not complete a pass and only hope the other car doesn't lose a position to someone else for 3 or 4 seconds after the last contact.

If you are already ahead you can freely brake check or force other cars off the road as long as they don't get passed by someone else. If you get hit from behind by someone who then gets passed by another car, you get a penalty.

Ok thanks for the tip.👍

I think this also fits with another incident I had in a race today. I passed a car into Spoon, not something I'd normally do as it's even riskier than around the outside at the hairpin (that actually works more than you'd think with my pace advantage but the other ways are clearly safer), they either didn't know or care that I was on the inside so turned in on me and we banged doors and I got the place, penalty to me for "forcing a car off the track", they were still on the track and right behind me. :lol: Next time I'll back off and see what happens. :mischievous:

I think running no qual is a lot more dangerous sr wise than it used to be.
Lower dr players being ahead and unaware plus they msy crash in any turn. If you are in the same zip code you get penalized.
Right now I’m having better luck by qualifying.

I think running no qual is a lot more dangerous sr wise than it used to be.
Lower dr players being ahead and unaware plus they msy crash in any turn. If you are in the same zip code you get penalized.
Right now I’m having better luck by qualifying.

Yes qualifying is better for most people. I only run no qualy a lot because most of the time I'll have a lonely race otherwise. Either I'll run away or another faster racer or two will be in the race and I won't beat them anyway and still be running around in my own little world. :(

It's also much less annoying when you get punted and/or a penalty when you are not at the front too. :embarrassed:

Gr2 here was far worse for dirty driving and Sr- too, I guess because hits were harder. Most people (who don't quit) seem to end up with a blue S in this combo, unfortunately that also applies to some dirty drivers as well.:indiff:

Yes qualifying is better for most people. I only run no qualy a lot because most of the time I'll have a lonely race otherwise. Either I'll run away or another faster racer or two will be in the race and I won't beat them anyway and still be running around in my own little world. :(

I personally don't mind races where I have some alone time. If there are better/faster drivers in the room & I'm 3rd, 4th, or so, I'll take an easy DR rise. After so many races where I've been abused by other drivers, keeping my car looking shiny is a pleasant surprise.

I personally don't mind races where I have some alone time. If there are better/faster drivers in the room & I'm 3rd, 4th, or so, I'll take an easy DR rise. After so many races where I've been abused by other drivers, keeping my car looking shiny is a pleasant surprise.

Plus after a while not qualifying it becomes annoying imo. You’re not racing if it’s two dr letters down from your real rank, it’s more like giant slalom in skiing.
Add a penalty system that hugely favors lesser dr, the best way to get the best racing is qualifying...
I’ve done both and will continue both, but under this current scheme I’m getting better races by qualifying and less frustration with silly penalties...Right now I’m doing more qual races than not.
We will see how I feel after FIA...

Last edited:
Ash32 was totally the victim there. The guy turned into him rather than tried to go for a fast exit speed.

We all keep saying the same thing - a clever penalty system has yet to work and probably never will. Just go for shared blame.

Oh and on the subject of making the whole experience better get rid of ghosting and get rid of re spawning.

I was doing OK until this BS penalty. It looks like the car beside me got rear ended and skimmed across my right side, giving me the penalty. I had to play catch up then rear ended grandpa going 5mph in a 70mph corner.

I keep the markers on to benchmark what the other drivers are doing.
The next race...

Last edited:
I was doing OK until this BS penalty. It looks like the car beside me got rear ended and skimmed across my right side, giving me the penalty. I had to play catch up then rear ended grandpa going 5mph in a 70mph corner.

I keep the markers on to benchmark what the other drivers are doing.
The next race...

For a short while I thought you meant me....

You took that corner at 40mph on the previous lap and that is the usual speed. I think you went in too hot. The first penalty was definitely BS though.
I was in hot pursuit mode trying to catch up, I made a lot of mistakes.
I woke up at 4am to catch a black friday deal on PS5... No luck. Unavailable.

I was in hot pursuit mode trying to catch up, I made a lot of mistakes.
I woke up at 4am to catch a black friday deal on PS5... No luck. Unavailable.
That’s a bummer. I was fortunate to get a pre-order that actually arrived. Hopefully Santa will have one put back for you...

Tbh if you look around ALL sim racing has issues with dirty careless driving.
Methinks someone that could solve this issue could make a LOT of money.
Maybe GTS is on the right track in CONCEPT, (automated system) but they need to work on execution lol.

That’s a bummer. I was fortunate to get a pre-order that actually arrived. Hopefully Santa will have one put back for you...
Ebay has plenty...
Screenshot at 2020-11-27 08-01-45.png

Ouch!! I didn't see those since change they did. Those are the worst, someone hit you and you get a penalty 🤬
That happened to me a few days ago, I haven't felt like racing much since then. I'm not breaking my disc yet. The cars jumping misplaced cones are also very distracting.

Last edited:
That happened to me a few days ago, I haven't felt like racing much since then. I'm not breaking my disc yet. The cars jumping misplaced cones are also very distracting.
Agree, they need to fix flying cars. The only alternative iwe have there s to remove cones.

Back