PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

I gave up, I was trying to give everybody all the space they could need but got brake tested on a straight then deliberately driven into the gravel (both Mitsubishi's) before we had even left the GP track, the driving standards in America are terrible compared to Europe.

I don’t blame ya, it’s a nightmare.
That was funny though when you overtook me for second that previous race I went to signal right but you were already there :)
That was fun.
I’m not sure I would call what we saw in those rooms driving.
:)

Early morning seems fine. The field is way more sprerad out with 8-10 cars in Race C. Went from C/C to B/B. Just came from RBR. Started and finished 2nd, but a Vantage just couldn't help himself with a late dbinto T2. We both had .5 from T1 on the last lap, but he just haaaad to try. Cost him time with an added 2 seconds to his penalty, for nudging me off.

I gave up, I was trying to give everybody all the space they could need but got brake tested on a straight then deliberately driven into the gravel (both Mitsubishi's) before we had even left the GP track, the driving standards in America are terrible compared to Europe.
Funnily I find it the other way round. True your much better than me, that's why I gave you loads of room as you shot past me, so here you'll get top lobbies while in USA you play against people of my level. I'm C/S and seeing Bs and Ds ever game, on EU I'd get this less often and I've never met an A/A on EU, an A/B maybe if I'm low enough.

It's pointless today. New years day, bunch of hung over frustrated kids playing. The reason it's impossible to get past SR.B (from the back) is that the fields are so screwed up there. Lower SR lobbies are faster so you don't have the lethal mix of early brakers, people stopping for directions and a bunch of fast players starting behind.

And yet, all day long, trying to push you off when you make a pass. It seems people think it's a legit tactic and as long as you're not more than halfway yet, the penalty system puts them in the right. It's truly a no passing simulator since you can't start a pass without coming up from behind a car. You have to wait for them to go wide enough to squeeze in more than halfway before they can turn in on you. It's the only way.

It's funny that PD didn't think of penalizing people who, on the exit of Red Bull's corner #3, keep pushing you to the outside of the curb so that you get slowed down without a single chance to make it back within 5 seconds.

That almost made me smash the ds4 on my tv.

Last edited:
In a 31 minute race, this was the only contact I had with any other cars. I lost 4 SR from the race:

The hairpin was a bit of a dive, but the Peugeot pitted at the end of that lap. Was my punishment fair?

In a 31 minute race, this was the only contact I had with any other cars. I lost 4 SR from the race:

The hairpin was a bit of a dive, but the Peugeot pitted at the end of that lap. Was my punishment fair?

Those were all fair. I had a few taps similar done to me and a full blown 2 secs for hitting a spinning car which came back on track and I gained 23 SR.
Not sure why you'd loose any for them if the rest was clean.

I'm not sure if this was a fair penalty or not...

I guess I should have slowed down when he went off track, anticipating he was going to come back in my way.

So for all the grumbling I ran into a certified troll who spends their time trying to ruin others races. Anyone who attempts to pass them in any way is considered dirty and all sorts of other stuff. I clipped a curb I never found before and ended up at the rear when I ran them down. They then decided needed to be dealt with. This video shows the plenty system working for the most part.

So for all the grumbling I ran into a certified troll who spends their time trying to ruin others races. Anyone who attempts to pass them in any way is considered dirty and all sorts of other stuff. I clipped a curb I never found before and ended up at the rear when I ran them down. They then decided needed to be dealt with. This video shows the plenty system working for the most part.

The penalty system "works" here because he's obviously not very bright and has no idea how it works and therefore how to game it. He's just a genuine moron. If you want to get rid of someone, there's plenty of things you can do to give them a penalty. You want to brake check someone and have them take the blame? All you have to do is either brake early or do it in the middle of a corner. That's a penalty or at least an SR down (for me it has always been a penalty though). Or when you're side by side, just tap them before they're ahead and lift off. BAM! They get a penalty because "THEY" have made contact with you and you have lost a position afterwards. This penalty system doesn't have a clue who's actually done the thing that needs to be penalized and yet it does the penalizing anyway. Therefore the highest accuracy it can achieve, in my opinion, is 50%. That's not very good, is it? And that's only if there are just two cars involved. With more cars involved, the accuracy drops massively. That's why the probability of receiving an unfair penalty when something happens in the middle of a pack is extremely high. Especially on the Nordschleife, where actual hard racing without getting bull:censored: penalties is literally impossible. Something happens in front of you, you lift or brake (i.e. you do the right/safe thing!!!) but the car behind you doesn't give a 🤬 and hits you hard. The penalty system sees it as you braking for no reason and BAM! A penalty for you, you dirty mother:censored:. PD will never get it right because their system ignores way too much of the events that have led to the incident. If they don't want to turn on damage, then shared fault is the only way to go, I'm afraid. Would it mean unfair penalties for clean drivers? Definitely. But we've already been getting loads of them anyway and if it eventually puts reckless idiots into an SR rank they truly belong to, then I'm all for it. The players in this game really need to learn that serious incidents will always have consequences, not just sometimes. But I guess that would mean a lot of players would stop playing because "the real driving simulator" got too real. And that would be a big NO NO for the suits at PD and SONY.

But I guess that would mean a lot of players would stop playing because "the real driving simulator" got too real. And that would be a big NO NO for the suits at PD and SONY.

The corporate reasoning being that if it gets too tough, too many casual players won't buy it, sales go down and doesn't justify the amount of money being put into development.

Yet, many of the earlier titles were much more difficult and those are the ones that made GT into a PS flagship title...

Therefore the highest accuracy it can achieve, in my opinion, is 50%.

It isn't anywhere near this high as in most cases the person behind will be at fault so they cause the issue and don't suffer. This enforces their thinking that they are right so they keep doing it. Or take when you pass someone and instead of giving you room, they cut into your side and you get a penalty. I'd say the system might be right about 30% of the time, but only for normal play, if you take someone gaming the system obviously the accuracy drops even further.

This is why IMO everyone getting a penalty for every touch is the only way to go. But yes I see problems with that too, just don't see how an automated system could work out fault correctly every time.

It's still pointless. Just now I'm behind this guy for a whole lap waiting for an opportunity to pass. He's much slower than me but keeps weaving and feigning brake checks making it impossible to come along side without him touching my car first. He already spun me out a couple corners before the middle straight, was back on him at the end of the straight. A couple corners before the final straight he slams on the brakes for real, extra long while mirroring my position. I slam on the brakes as well but fraction of a second later and can't avoid harmless contact. Although I fall 1.5 seconds back from braking, 2 sec penalty for me and he wins the race.

Had I passed him early, clean, but copping a penalty because of his tactics, I would have build up plenty of a gap to win that race. There really is no point anymore in trying to drive clean (according to what the game thinks is clean), it just gets punished over and over and over. I'm so sick of it, I'm tempted to simply go bash people out of the way and eat the penalties. The chances that I'll hit a clean driver with those tactics are down to 5%...

Anyway, last day for the Nord. Shelve the game again. Come back next time when the ring is on to bitch about how much worse it has gotten yet again. The cycle never ends.

Instead of suing Cyberpunk, someone should sue PD for false advertising. Matchmaking putting you against people with similar skills and maturity levels HAHAHAHA

The penalty system "works" here because he's obviously not very bright and has no idea how it works and therefore how to game it. He's just a genuine moron. If you want to get rid of someone, there's plenty of things you can do to give them a penalty. You want to brake check someone and have them take the blame? All you have to do is either brake early or do it in the middle of a corner. That's a penalty or at least an SR down (for me it has always been a penalty though). Or when you're side by side, just tap them before they're ahead and lift off. BAM! They get a penalty because "THEY" have made contact with you and you have lost a position afterwards. This penalty system doesn't have a clue who's actually done the thing that needs to be penalized and yet it does the penalizing anyway. Therefore the highest accuracy it can achieve, in my opinion, is 50%. That's not very good, is it? And that's only if there are just two cars involved. With more cars involved, the accuracy drops massively. That's why the probability of receiving an unfair penalty when something happens in the middle of a pack is extremely high. Especially on the Nordschleife, where actual hard racing without getting bull:censored: penalties is literally impossible. Something happens in front of you, you lift or brake (i.e. you do the right/safe thing!!!) but the car behind you doesn't give a 🤬 and hits you hard. The penalty system sees it as you braking for no reason and BAM! A penalty for you, you dirty mother:censored:. PD will never get it right because their system ignores way too much of the events that have led to the incident. If they don't want to turn on damage, then shared fault is the only way to go, I'm afraid. Would it mean unfair penalties for clean drivers? Definitely. But we've already been getting loads of them anyway and if it eventually puts reckless idiots into an SR rank they truly belong to, then I'm all for it. The players in this game really need to learn that serious incidents will always have consequences, not just sometimes. But I guess that would mean a lot of players would stop playing because "the real driving simulator" got too real. And that would be a big NO NO for the suits at PD and SONY.
The thing with this video is that people who have raced this guy will know that they are extremely skilled at manipulating the penalty system. Why they decided to do this and screw it up now I don't know but was glad it all finally bit him back. Usually any race involving this driver has half the field with red SR at the end. Next race they weren't in the field and there was some close racing throughout the front pack of 5 of us. Entire field had blue SR ranks at the end. Shows just how much 1 manipulating driver can screw the whole field.

Well, just a little while ago I started a thread entitled " Getting hit from behind is my fault? ".

Looks like I should have read this thread first.

Because I'm not very skilled like most of you, I don't stand a chance of not being abused. I would very much like to keep my S rating though. I'm proud of that.

Last edited:
Well, just a little while ago I started a thread entitled " Getting hit from behind is my fault? ".

Looks like I should have read this thread first.

Because I'm not very skilled like most of you, I don't stand a chance of not being abused. I would very much like to keep my S rating though. I'm proud of that.

Don't put too much on the S rating. Maybe once you could be proud of maintaining an S rating, although it always mainly meant staying on track while avoiding other cars rather than being a skilled racer. S nowadays means you're either too slow, too fast or too afraid to engage other people on the track.

To improve your skill you need to get your hands dirty. That doesn't mean run other people off, but with the current penalty system it will mean getting (unfair) penalties. Otherwise you're just following cars waiting for them to crash or get pulled back by penalties.

Just think of getting pulled back by a penalty as an opportunity to try that pass again. You're still faster, no matter how much your SR and DR gets mangled by the system, so all it does is give you more opportunities to practice. And it will get easier and easier to climb back up.

you're either too slow, too fast or too afraid to engage other people on the track
Too Slow and scared to engage is about right. I'm amazed (but shouldn't be) at the dirtiness of drivers who can't take being overtaken.
following cars waiting for them to crash or get pulled back by penalties

Yes. Sadly, that's pretty much been what I do. What's really disappointing is that when I overtake somebody because they went off track, I have done nothing negative to them. Yet, if they're able to catch back up to me they are ramming me or forcing me off the road.

give you more opportunities to practice

I believe you are correct and that I am a little too conservative because I'm scared to lose SR. I'm looking forward to getting home later and putting my elbows out a little bit, although still in a clean fashion.

Thank you

To improve your skill you need to get your hands dirty. That doesn't mean run other people off, but with the current penalty system it will mean getting (unfair) penalties. Otherwise you're just following cars waiting for them to crash or get pulled back by penalties.

I'd say this statement is how many think and is a huge problem. It's a non contact sport so you shouldn't ever really make contact. Yes accidents will happen, but thinking it's OK to bump people cos it's just part of the game is wrong. Just watch a YT vid and the guy hit the guy in front 5 or 6 times, got upset when the guy reacted badly so punted him off thinking he deserved it.
The penalty system is flawed but that doesn't mean we should drive like idiots because that's the only way to do well, you end up with the mess we have now.

If contact is allowed and there’s no consequence like it is now you cannot race.

#sharedfault

Edit S99 means you get the best competition available in game.
everything below S is trash in this game.
Sometimes in the 99 rooms the racing’s so good and immersive it amazes me.
On replay hard to tell it’s a game, sometimes in top rooms.
It keeps me hooked.

Last edited:
Don't put too much on the S rating. Maybe once you could be proud of maintaining an S rating, although it always mainly meant staying on track while avoiding other cars rather than being a skilled racer. S nowadays means you're either too slow, too fast or too afraid to engage other people on the track.

Just think of getting pulled back by a penalty as an opportunity to try that pass again. You're still faster, no matter how much your SR and DR gets mangled by the system, so all it does is give you more opportunities to practice. And it will get easier and easier to climb back up.
Depends how a person plays too. Not everyone races 10 times a day. On average I only race once or twice a day now.

I want my rating to match me with DR B SR S. It's nor perfect but I use my score for consistency to improve and learn when combos switch. To you I may be slow, just following cars, probably just in the way. But I am improving in at my own pace.

Depends how a person plays too. Not everyone races 10 times a day. On average I only race once or twice a day now.

I want my rating to match me with DR B SR S. It's nor perfect but I use my score for consistency to improve and learn when combos switch. To you I may be slow, just following cars, probably just in the way. But I am improving in at my own pace.

I think people get a mistaken idea too that racing means going last to first like vs ai.
Actually if you qualify and matchup it shouldn’t be that way. It IS difficult to overtake if you are well matched.
If they make the system even more lenient than it is now as many seem to want you go from racing ie able to fairly defend without getting shoved off to lots of contact allowed and Mariokart.
They need to just pen everyone involved for all incidents, turn damage on, and disable all ghosting.

Last edited:
Except lapped people, the races are too short that anyone that far behind is just a menace. It doesn't mean they are bad, just that they don't belong in that lobby.

I mean it’s so simple to do...YES for lapped cars. BUT
On penalties make a penalty lane, DONT ghost at all. Place it at the BEGINNING of a straight.
Fail to stay in the lane? Keep accruing more penalty.
This is simple stuff. They have proved over several years assigning blame doesn’t work. Just pen everyone, adjust sr dr scoring to account for long term disable ghosting add damage boom done.

Last edited:
Well damage needs to be done better than it stands in game, as it is it basically ruins your car. It should be incremental and you should have to pit to fix it.

I'd say this statement is how many think and is a huge problem. It's a non contact sport so you shouldn't ever really make contact. Yes accidents will happen, but thinking it's OK to bump people cos it's just part of the game is wrong. Just watch a YT vid and the guy hit the guy in front 5 or 6 times, got upset when the guy reacted badly so punted him off thinking he deserved it.
The penalty system is flawed but that doesn't mean we should drive like idiots because that's the only way to do well, you end up with the mess we have now.

With getting your hands dirty I don't mean bump people. What I mean is, attempt to overtake, go along side into a corner instead of following and backing off as soon as a car gets close. You should never initiate contact, but you should also not simply move out of the way when you have the right of way. Avoiding accidents yes, letting someone else bully you off the track, no.

I've never been a fan of practicing / hot lapping a track off-line to improve. Yes, you need to know the track before going online, but at some point you don't learn anything anymore from hot lapping and imo it only becomes detrimental to race craft. You get so conditioned to driving one set of lines by yourself that you get less and less flexible in adjusting your lines on the fly to race against others.

People are never just in the way. Figuring out when and where to pass cleanly is the point. Learning to react to the situation, any situation, learning to anticipate what the cars around you are going to do is the prize.

If contact is allowed and there’s no consequence like it is now you cannot race.

#sharedfault

Edit S99 means you get the best competition available in game.
everything below S is trash in this game.
Sometimes in the 99 rooms the racing’s so good and immersive it amazes me.
On replay hard to tell it’s a game, sometimes in top rooms.
It keeps me hooked.

Lol not at all my experience last week. Sure there are plenty trouble makers, but I've also had amazing competition, going 3 or more corners side by side with other drivers. Stuff that most people at SR.S are too afraid of doing or get mad at you for initiating a pass outside the 'designated' passing zones for the track.

What amazes me more is the skill level I found in SR.C, and the lack of awareness in SR.S. It should be the other way around.

(Mind you, that's all lap 2 experience, lap 1 is chaos from the back at any SR level)

Lol not at all my experience last week. Sure there are plenty trouble makers, but I've also had amazing competition, going 3 or more corners side by side with other drivers. Stuff that most people at SR.S are too afraid of doing or get mad at you for initiating a pass outside the 'designated' passing zones for the track.

What amazes me more is the skill level I found in SR.C, and the lack of awareness in SR.S. It should be the other way around.

(Mind you, that's all lap 2 experience, lap 1 is chaos from the back at any SR level)

I regularly race everyone in game in sport mode from best to worst.
Once I go below 80 sr it’s not racing it’s a joke.
80-90 is pretty sad too most times.
Below 80 people can barely stay on track let alone even consider what racecraft is.
At plus 90 yeah you gotta be ready or you’ll get run over by people in control who are fast.
The only way S 99 folks are scared is at dr C. Those folks are cautious.
Anyways complaining about penalties while starting last against drivers at a far lower DR is silly.
You pass what 10-18 average per race at say an average rating of BB or worse?
Yeah you’re gonna have tons of pens.
It’s not the games fault, it’s your fault.
I mean I do it too sometimes, it’s fun, but it has nothing to do with people playing in a more serious way. (Except maybe messing up their race)

I regularly race everyone in game in sport mode from best to worst.
Once I go below 80 sr it’s not racing it’s a joke.
80-90 is pretty sad too most times.
Below 80 people can barely stay on track let alone even consider what racecraft is.
At plus 90 yeah you gotta be ready or you’ll get run over by people in control who are fast.
The only way S 99 folks are scared is at dr C. Those folks are cautious.
Anyways complaining about penalties while starting last against drivers at a far lower DR is silly.
You pass what 10-18 average per race at say an average rating of BB or worse?
Yeah you’re gonna have tons of pens.
It’s not the games fault, it’s your fault.
I mean I do it too sometimes, it’s fun, but it has nothing to do with people playing in a more serious way. (Except maybe messing up their race)

The Nord is an exception though, the track is its own penalty system. No forgiveness, so naturally better drivers are found there (most of the chaos is already done after Flugplatz) True, other tracks the mess last much longer, hence I only race in N24 nowadays.

If the penalty system doesn't work at the bottom, it can't work at the top. Simple as that. Saying it's my fault for getting faulty penalties, lol. I got back to SR.S anyway without compromises, racing was good on Sunday. Plus DR is meaningless, DR.D doing 8:56 laps on the Nord in GR.4 lol.

I said in June 2018 that I wouldn't qualify anymore until PD fixes the penalty system, I stand by my words!

Back