PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

I've never been a fan of practicing / hot lapping a track off-line to improve. Yes, you need to know the track before going online, but at some point you don't learn anything anymore from hot lapping and imo it only becomes detrimental to race craft. You get so conditioned to driving one set of lines by yourself that you get less and less flexible in adjusting your lines on the fly to race against others.

People are never just in the way. Figuring out when and where to pass cleanly is the point. Learning to react to the situation, any situation, learning to anticipate what the cars around you are going to do is the prize.
Again, people play different ways. You assume I spend my time hot lapping. I don't. I do my daily miles and sometime I race, within those miles, so I can track my progression with consistency. The race is my practice so I can have a good time in my Friday lobby.

The Nord is an exception though, the track is its own penalty system. No forgiveness, so naturally better drivers are found there (most of the chaos is already done after Flugplatz) True, other tracks the mess last much longer, hence I only race in N24 nowadays.

If the penalty system doesn't work at the bottom, it can't work at the top. Simple as that. Saying it's my fault for getting faulty penalties, lol. I got back to SR.S anyway without compromises, racing was good on Sunday. Plus DR is meaningless, DR.D doing 8:56 laps on the Nord in GR.4 lol.

I said in June 2018 that I wouldn't qualify anymore until PD fixes the penalty system, I stand by my words!

Hey everyone likes to screw around non qualifying sometimes.
That’s not playing the game seriously though.
That’s starting a race knowing full well you can beat the guys in front of you by a minute a lap.
I do it too, doesn’t mean it’s right or a test of the pen system or that it makes it fun for the players ahead.
Maybe they are doing their best but are inexperienced.
In effect it’s creating a multi class situation pro vs amateur.
You can’t expect not to get crashes.
Plus it’s laughable to say better drivers exist on the ring. You can’t say that and keep a straight face.
I did over 20 races there. I saw the incompetence.
It’s one of the most arcade tracks in game with the nonsense people pull.
There’s no fear of death so why not?
I do it too (no qual). But I don’t pretend it’s serious play.
No pen system will ever work at the bottom.

Last edited:
Again, people play different ways. You assume I spend my time hot lapping. I don't. I do my daily miles and sometime I race, within those miles, so I can track my progression with consistency. The race is my practice so I can have a good time in my Friday lobby.

Fair. You assumed people are just in my way :P That's not the case. It's more fun when they are 'in the way'. Some people are really good at defending and those are the best puzzles to crack. As long as it all fair defense or rather nothing deliberately dirty. I admit, sometimes I expect a bit too much from people and sometimes it doesn't end as well as it could have. Learning opportunity.

Is it just me or did PD ninja update the track limits on Monza? All I did this week was driving Race B. Every single race I received half a second+ for going "out" of track. But since yesterday, ZERO.

It’s 2 days I have restarted playing GT sport, (I stoped because of work and family life)

I did a few laps to get back in the game and then hit on Daily race c at interlagos, and let me just say wtf is wong with Penalty system, I got in to a good wheel to wheel battel and we bought got 2 sec Penalties and don’t get me started of the track limits, i don’t know if it’s because I am b/s or what but all I hope is this will be fix in gt7

I took a big step back from the game a few weeks ago. Then recently I started slowly doing the dailies a little more. Of course, every lobby is a crapshoot and I've been involved in some real stupid ones. But this is probably the most blatant in recent memory, so I thought to save it.

Yes, it's always a risky corner to overtake. No, I didn't have the best run on him going into it. But still...

I took a big step back from the game a few weeks ago. Then recently I started slowly doing the dailies a little more. Of course, every lobby is a crapshoot and I've been involved in some real stupid ones. But this is probably the most blatant in recent memory, so I thought to save it.

Yes, it's always a risky corner to overtake. No, I didn't have the best run on him going into it. But still...

He ran you off, clear and simple. He turned in too early to make it stick

Risky corner, yes. But, it's also set up as a prime spot to make a move. I've lost count of how many times I've tried an overtake there. The basic flaw is he did run you off & got no penalty (that we saw).

Risky corner, yes. But, it's also set up as a prime spot to make a move. I've lost count of how many times I've tried an overtake there. The basic flaw is he did run you off & got no penalty (that we saw).

He didn't get a penalty.

Warning - audio contains multiple usages of the f word:

(should start at 4:16:56)

That man got to control his temper. He is a top driver, but with some bad habbits. Often, you can see it go wrong before it even happens.
And there he goes again, yelling at PD and closing the game. A pitty, because he is a real good driver.

I do agree with him though. Sport Mode is garbage and so flawed that I laugh at every intention from Polyphony Digital for trying to make it be simlike. FIA? Please fix your crappy penalty system first.

And the perception that there is nothing wrong for the upcoming FIA season. Considering the penalty system, I'm glad that the FIA tournament is not on my priority list. Or else I might be like Kie.

And the perception that there is nothing wrong for the upcoming FIA season. Considering the penalty system, I'm glad that the FIA tournament is not on my priority list. Or else I might be like Kie.
Yep. I play the game for whats it good like. An engaging career mode and missions.
Everything else, Polyphony Digital is extremely underqualified.
You want to host an official FIA competition with laughable contact rules, inconsistent penalties and no damage? LMFAO!

I do agree with him though. Sport Mode is garbage and so flawed that I laugh at every intention from Polyphony Digital for trying to make it be simlike. FIA? Please fix your crappy penalty system first.

Ya he is right, I get that pd is working on gt7 but till then gt sport need to be fixed. if not it will lose a lot of player to acc,

Last edited:
He deleted it from his console! I wonder how long he'll last before he re-installs it :D

He made a good point. PD really is acting like they're happy with the game in it's current state. It is an absolute mess and I vacillate back and forth from them not caring to just being absolutely oblivious. I've heard people say that they follow the forums and bigger YT channels but I have my doubts. They seemed to be so out of touch with the community.

And to be fair, I've seen Kie blow up and lose it much worse. He just laughed and deleted the game. I've been there, just so beat down by the wreck of a penalty/SR systems and the apparent apathy of the developer.

Last edited:
Totally in agreement with Kie. I swear it gets worse every day. Don't know how thats possible without PD making tweaks and updates but its ruined. After years of clean driving as an SR S and building up to a DR A in FIAs, this season i got a reset from the most stupid penalties i've ever seen. I wanted to give up then but decided to have a go at rebuilding, only to get a second reset and down to DR 7k (D). Nearly 30k DR lost in a few weeks. Again all penalties from non existent collisions, slight rubs or collisions that were totally the other drivers fault. Done with it. Yep have just purchased ACC.

Last edited:
It is an absolute mess and I vacillate back and forth from them not caring to just being absolutely oblivious.
I think they probably just don't know how to make it work to a standard we'd all be happy with. If it were my full time job, I'd be pretty confident I could develop something considerably better than what they have, but I don't know if the economics allow it to be someone's full time job, and I also don't know how much CPU power is available to run algorithms related to the penalty system, that could be an obstacle to it working better.

I think they probably just don't know how to make it work to a standard we'd all be happy with. If it were my full time job, I'd be pretty confident I could develop something considerably better than what they have, but I don't know if the economics allow it to be someone's full time job, and I also don't know how much CPU power is available to run algorithms related to the penalty system, that could be an obstacle to it working better.

One of the main problems is that it's only based on what happens after contact, and that's never going to be 100% accurate in assigning blame, the best version was when it was based on which car left the track or hit a wall after contact, but that could still be gamed.

It needs to constantly record a rolling few seconds of data, that's the only way that blame assignment could work properly and determine which car didn't brake when it should have, which moved onto the other's line etc. I don't think the PS4 has the power to do this and assign blame in real time, maybe the PS5 will be able to for GT7.

Indeed, PD is not a very big company and at least they try to have a penalty system. Every now and then they alter something to try it out.
Sometimes the system meets my requirements, but mostly not.

Yeah, the penalty system is a real peace of ****. No doubt about that and it often bothers like hell.
But even in real live racing, with marshalls judging incidents, there is a lot of confusion, discussion and even more: bad decisions by race control!!!
So, it's part of the game and don't think that it will be much better with other racing games. When all of the millions of GT players switch to ACC and iRacing, we'll be having the same **** over there. It's not only the penalty system. The players, the glitches, the lag etc.... also are a part of strange situations.
So, we can all yell about it and I admitt that I do that too cuz you have to express yourself.
But there is also a positive thing about the system: the system is the same for everyone. We all have to deal with the same system. That's a kind of honesty which makes it bareable. GT 7 will be no different at all. If you hope that it will have a better system: don't buy it. You will be disappointed.
The only thing that may be better is to ommit the DR reset and maybe to alter the way how you build up or lose SR points.

And for Kie: his reactions are often too childish. Come on man, just loosen up a bit. There are more top drivers who stream their content and they are way more relaxed. In the end, it's just a game.

I also think the Penalty System is bad at the moment. It has been worse but it had also been way better.
Really, the biggest problems with it is that the average daily racer doesn't try to race clean or has too little situational awareness paired with too much aggression.
And the reason for that is the SR and DR systems. SR should be an average of your last ten races, but if you did something in a race that would give you an SR down in the system we have now it would start you at the back of the grid in your next race and let you start two seconds later. And stop with the silly resets.
For some it's a reward, they get to race slower people and get free "wins", for others who try to be clean it's a destruction of everything you worked for maybe for a long time.

That would be game delete worthy in my book.

Absolutely. Obviously, it's lag related but c'mon...

In one of my worst races last night - and I think I forgot to save the replay - I started P2. P1 and I immediately created a good gap on the pack by the time we make the right hander going into the Florida section. (I mean, does this section look like anything other than Florida?)

Lago Maggiore Florida.png

Anyway, P1 starts jittering and jumping across the screen. I I lift the create some distance between us, go wide in the tight turn at the bottom of the hill in hopes of avoiding him and get sent rocketing clear across the runoff into the barrier. I get that PD can't control lag and his connection but seriously.

For some it's a reward, they get to race slower people and get free "wins", for others who try to be clean it's a destruction of everything you worked for maybe for a long time.
I fall into both categories. It starts with the silly pens and you drop to say 80, then you get more players who don't really care so you ether get out quick or get dragged further down. Then you get to the stage of just not caring, why bother when driving well is rewarded with this. Then you finally get reset, your now against mostly slower players and it's so much easier to stay clean even if they don't want to play that way, you get better races and can't understand why you were bothering to drive well as this is more fun and cleaner....till you get bored of having very little competition, apart from those few real scum bags that live down there just to spoil peoples fun.

There’s nothing wrong with the penalty system...

Yep, it is effin terrible.
I consider myself a seasoned GT player, and I admit I don't put that much time on Sport Mode, but enough to realize the system is flawed.
If I wanted to get good at the game, I could, but it would require a lot of time to go from my D to an A.
And knowing the risks and the probability of a DR reset, nope.
No thanks.

Back