PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Is anyone having similar issues?
Whether an issue or intended, who knows with PD but yes, I finished with a red SR (I had trash to take out and never got penalty time). Apart from track limits and barrier penalties, contact penalty time is turned off while SR remains deducted in the background. Sure, you lose SR but I feel an example/justice needs to be set on track with serving time.

I guess PD thought people would take care avoiding contact with an underlying risk of losing SR and without a firm way to check where it could be gamed. The backfire is some will continue rampaging because the incentive to avoid losing time is gone and this creates a toxic experience for those racing clean. Shared penalties and car damage during early stages was a better solution for this.

Thanks for the reply.

To me, contact of some description seems inevitable in all three daily races this week. Maybe it’s the way I drive, this is just my personal opinion.

At my level, C, I am seeing a lot of red and white SR ratings at the end of races. It’s as if people have decided that given the various iterations of the system, SR no longer matters at all.

I have just completed a Race A. During the race there is no visual reference at all to SR. No green/orange arrows.

Anecdotally, punting or foul play seems to be occurring at each driver level. That being the case, does your SR even matter at all? You still get to race whatever it is.

Losing SR without SR Down has been there since the beginning. It used to be, one car gets the SR Down Arrow and -3 SR, the other car gets -1 SR. It hardly every resulted in red ratings since the deduction was so little. Maybe PD has increased the 'silent' SR deduction values.

It became even harder to spot when things changed to still getting the SR up arrow while losing SR from contact. Now you keep the SR up for a sector unless you go far off track, hit a wall or get the SR Down arrow. Minor shortcuts, wall scrapes and contact with other cars still gives you clean race bonus. But if you check how much your SR actually goes up after the race you can find the deductions.

@Cherryturbo SR is the primary value for matchmaking. Higher SR (slightly) increases your odds at getting into a cleaner lobby. However sometimes max SR rooms are worse than lower SR rooms where people fear an imminent DR reset.

If you just want to race, SR doesn't mean anything. To get into top splits in FIA, you need high DR and to get high DR you need high SR. Your DR level can't be higher than your SR level, hence the resets if you lose too much SR.

[ snip snip ] does your SR even matter at all? [ snip ]
This is a personal question you need to ask your self. SR is (was) supposed to be a representation of your sportsmanship in the game but we all know that is not quite true. Personally my SR Rating is the only thing I care about.

Enjoy your racing as best you can is my advice.

Thanks again for the input.

I appreciate what you say about SR. The problem I am finding is that if my SR falls I have always tried to recover it straight away.

These days racing without penalty seems to occur either if your very fast and can lead/win races or if you pootle around at the rear of the field trying to keep out of harms way. Now, I am not nor am ever likely to be consistent enough for the former. The latter is more likely and it therefore “costs” me DR in order to recover SR. This is a painful trade-off. Given the present antics of my competitors and their apparent lack of concern for SR, I am questioning its worth at my level.

EDIT:
I just ran a Race B. Of the 15 starters, 11 had red SR at the end. The loss range was -2 to -13. The max of the remainder was +5.

Last edited:
Ah, it's Monza this week! Monza has always been bad 🤣

Monza Stats.png

Those are SR stats for Monza up to 2019, all red, with the second to last column the average SR loss per player per race.

You do not gain SR on Monza, and GR.4 holds the record for maximum SR loss in a single race, -190.

Hopefully this is a subtle way to send the dirty guys to the bottom of the barrel. The clean racers might get pushed around for a week or so but those constantly doing the pushing and thus receiving the red SR will eventually drift downwards. By the time they notice they'll have 2 choices. Clean up their act to head upwards again or continue their antics in a lobby more suited to it as everyone will be knocking 7 bells out of each other. Keep it clean and hopefully you might see some better, cleaner racing ahead.

SONY ……. POLYPHONY DIGITAL ……

When are you going to stop this mayhem???

I am addicted to the whole experience, apart from just one thing.

THE WAY THAT PARTICIPATION IN ONLINE RACING HAS BEEN SCARRED BY YOUR RULES ( AND/OR LACK OF THEM) ALLOWING UNSPORTING / CHEATING / NOXIOUS BEHAVIOUR TO BOTH EXIST AND TO GO UNPUNISHED.

Please make GT Sport enjoyable again and not the stress ridden experience it currently is.

Rant over …….. for now.

I've no idea what actually warrants an SR down under this current system
Complaining loudly here on these forums lol

I play it for about three months too. Today i'm totally pissed by the dirty players. Lost 4k DR only being put off the track by these guys.
In how many races? Did ever quit any races cause that will be a major drop in DR

Feel your pain friend.

The past week saw me fall from 11.5k to 1.5k. B to D.

Three decent FIA runs have just got me back to C.

Clearly, I should have taken the hint sooner……

Last edited:
Ok, early 3am my time Monday morning i went and qualified so so for the A race and I was P17 at the start, It was a mess with the only penalties issued were the hitting the barrier type and 1.5 seconds each, never mind everyone punting and shoving each other aside and not gently either, no penalties for those infractions of colliding with other cars. I will have to forgo any further racing on THAT track for it is nothing but a hi-speed pinball machine.
PD please if you read these posts , please fix the damned penalty system.

I am totally at a loss to understand what is going on with the current Daily race system.

Any form of contact, whilst not incurring time penalty seems to be a major SR down. Likewise any sort of track limit / wall penalty. This is a guess as contact SR down is no longer displayed during the race.

This table shows the SR changes in the 7 races I have been in this week at Le Mans.

MeBestWorseAverage
+6+10-11+2.2
+9+9-21+1.1
-9+10-33 -1.7
+7+10-24 -2.5
+5+10-16+3.1
-1+10-28 -0.1
-9+9-18 -0.8

Daily race C last week had a maximum gain of +20.

FIA races, however, remain as before:

MeBestWorseAverage
+13+31-10+17.1
+18+30-7+23.6
+25+29-20+13.8

It seems that PD have decided to penalise folk in the Daily races whilst at the same time allowing SR recovery from participation in FIA events.

Does this promote better behaviour? From what I have seen this week it most definitely does not!

EDIT:

Penny has just dropped.
The FIA only sponsor the races with their name on. Same with Toyota and the GR Cup. They both presumably have no interest in what goes on in any other races.

PD therefore want to justify the sanctity of the Nations, Manufacturers and GR Cups. They would like to demonstrate how sportsmanlike the participants are.

So what do they do? They make SR loss a feature in the daily races. A lot of folks will no longer be S rated. Those folks know, however, that the FIA races reward high SR if raced fair and clean. So that’s what they try to do. FIA races appear “Sporting”, SR is returned to the “bad guys”, everyone’s happy.

Cue 7 more days of what we are getting now…..rinse & repeat.

Last edited:
Under the current lack of penalties pretty much everyone dives if within .75 at any big braking zone.
It’s ridiculous.
I can’t race if I have to compromise my line and defend if the guy behind is 3/4 second back!

We need stricter SR down you can dive sideswipe whatever and still get clean race bonus. It’s a joke.

It’s very sad that Polyphony and the FIA and Sony have done nothing but display incompetence with regard to the SR system.

If they had ANYTHING functional whereby cheaters were separated from clean players, the game would draw much more participation from people who know how to race.

Edit- don’t quit. I was punted off again in B race and quit, from top split 99…
I found myself next race at A. I was hit again but no red A it was blue.
So, I entered a c race no qual. I had two no qual behind so paused game to let them by…
Ram cleanly except lap three got tangled in a three car train and rear ended a bunch of times on straight and braking for chicanes by a Brazilian friend, then he went off and I finished cleanly the last 2 laps.
B SR was the result! Lol ok game.
I guess it was because my dr was higher?
Bizarre that b race was no sr down until I quit now on c I’m basically reset?
Lol there’s no rhyme or reason to this broken rating system.

Last edited:
What's going on with the SR downs? I had two races which were both penalty-free and fairly clean (a little elbows out in one of the races but nothing nasty) and I lost 16 SR, dropping from 97 to 81. Anyone know what they've done to the system? Seems like a couple weeks ago ANYONE could be SR S because of the lack of penalties and now they've over-compensated and you no longer get penalties but get slammed with major SR down?

What's going on with the SR downs? I had two races which were both penalty-free and fairly clean (a little elbows out in one of the races but nothing nasty) and I lost 16 SR, dropping from 97 to 81. Anyone know what they've done to the system? Seems like a couple weeks ago ANYONE could be SR S because of the lack of penalties and now they've over-compensated and you no longer get penalties but get slammed with major SR down?
so kissing the back of the car in front is no longer allowed , yay....

This is what so many people wanted.
Strict SR but no pens.
I love it. I think I might be able to return to racing as opposed with road warrior now.
Maybe now sportsmanship will return to the 99 sr rooms…

Back