ORCA • TUNE-FREE RACING: BMW GT SPEC CHALLENGE - Sagarismic Double Champion!Finished 

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 291 comments
United States
Indianapolis
BrandonW77
ORCA Logo_V2_with flags_LO.png

Proudly Presents

Tune-Free Racing Banner_V3.png

Welcome to TUNE-FREE RACING, a spec series featuring racing with completely stock cars. These races will be run as one-make races with tuning prohibited on comfort or sports tires. This leads to close competition, rewards driver skill and makes participation easily accessible (just buy the car, change the oil and bring it to the track). This series is open to any and all drivers who value clean competition and race with respect on the track. Overly aggressive and rough driving will not be tolerated. Races will be held in a Friends Only lobby so you must add BrandonW77 on PSN.

This will be a 4 week series with points awarded each week and your best 3 finishes counting towards the championship. 14 drivers will be allowed to participate and points will be awarded all the way to 14th with 1 bonus point for pole position. The race format will be 30 minutes of open practice followed by a 10 minute qualifying session which will lead directly into a 45 minute race with one necessary pitstop. We will use the "race alone" feature for qualifying so other cars will be ghosted and everyone can get plenty of clean laps during qualifying. Since late-comers can't join the qualifier mid-session we are going to revert to an open qualifying session. The track will be reset to clear the times and we will do 10 minutes of free-run to determine the starting order. Once you've entered the track or "registered" for the race do not "unregister" or you will be excluded from the starting grid. You can exit back to the lounge but DO NOT click the box that unregisters you from the race.

There will be a Tuesday championship and a Saturday championship and each day will have its own points and champion. Drivers are free to participate in one or both championships. Race times will be 8pm EST on Tuesday and 3pm EST on Saturday. The room will open 30 minutes early for open practice and qualifying will begin promptly on the hour.

Last edited:
BMW GT Spec Challenge_MED.png

Our first season will feature the BMW GT race cars. The car selection will consist of three race cars, the E92 M3 (BMW Motorsport) '10, M3 GT (BMW Motorsport) '11 and the M3 GT2 Base Model '11, all in stock form (no tuning) at 577pp on Sports Soft tires. The cars run identical lap times and drivers are free to choose whichever car they want, however I do hope for a nice variety on the grid and not everyone picking the same car.
NOTE: You must first purchase or do an arcade mode race with the M3 GT '11 before the M3 GT2 Base Model '11 appears in the dealership.

THE SEASON BEGINS ON TUES., FEB. 11th & SAT., FEB. 15.
PRESEASON WARMUP AT INDY ROAD COURSE TUES., FEB. 4 & SAT., FEB. 8.

Cars Montage_v2.png

BMW Spec Track Schedule.png

This season will visit 4 tracks with rich histories of endurance racing. Time change will be utilized on all tracks and will feature two races with full day-night-day cycles to replicate the experience of a 24 hour race.

The circuits we'll be visiting are:
Daytona Road Course, Silverstone GP,
La Sarthe 2013, and Nurburgring GP/F.

NOTE TO DRIVERS ABOUT DAYTONA: Because standing starts on the banking will likely result in cars spinning out we are going to do one parade lap and have a rolling start. After the countdown ends everyone will pull away and stay in order cruising at 80mph. Do not weave around and do not overtake during the parade lap. The race will go green when the leaders cross the start/finish line (all drivers can accelerate when the leaders cross the line).
Also, when exiting the pits please use the access road and enter the track after the turn 1/2 complex. DO NOT exit straight into turn 1.

Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 8.25.55 AM.png

Qualifier: No (10 minute practice session will determine the starting order)
Start Type: Standing
Race Length: 45 Minutes
Number of Drivers: 14 max
Damage: Light
Visual Damage: Off
Penalties: Off
Slipstream: Real
Grip: Real
Tire/Fuel Wear: Fast
Boost: Off
Aids: Disabled except for ABS
Tuning: Prohibited (you can adjust brake bias)
Tires: Sports Soft
Pitstops: Not mandatory but one will be necessary due to tire/fuel wear
Weather: Off

Last edited:
TUESDAY RESULTS

M3GTCupRound1T.png

M3GTCupRound2T.png

TUESDAY TOTALS
M3GTLeagueT.png

SATURDAY RESULTS

M3GTCupRound1S.png

M3GTCupRound2S.png

SATURDAY TOTALS
M3GTLeagueS.png

Last edited:
Rules:
1. Drive as clean and respectful as possible. Try to avoid contact with fellow racers.
2. No hitting, ramming or corner cutting allowed.
3. Accidents do happen. If you knock someone off course you should slow and allow them to regain their position.
4. If there is any doubt as to whether you will be able to cleanly pull off a pass, wait till another corner.
5. NO DIVE-BOMBING (to the inside OR outside)
6. Bump drafting amongst the lead two cars is discouraged. Drivers should make the pass when possible and NOT work as a team to open a gap on the field. Make your pass and let the cards fall where they may. This ensures the drivers further back have a chance to catch up to the leaders if they should make a mistake. Drivers further back in the field are free to bump draft to catch up to the lead cars.
7. Drivers are expected to keep at least 2 wheels on the track at all times.
8. Blocking is not permitted. You get one move to choose your line and then you must hold it. You can not swerve back to your original line.
9. Rage quitting is frowned upon
10. Please keep chat box and mic chatter to a minimum during qualifying and racing.
11. There must be at least 6 people in attendance to have a points race. If there are fewer than 6 people that race will be canceled.
12. And of course please follow the GTPlanet Online Rules

Penalties

I am not here to penalize people for driving hard or passionately and I understand that while we all try our hardest to race cleanly none of us are perfect, especially in the heat of the moment. That being said, I also expect everyone to learn from their mistakes and I'll do everything I can to help drivers improve their racecraft. If any driver shows repeated instances of gross negligence or overly aggressive driving I reserve the right to impose a time penalty, disqualify them from the race or the entire series. Any contact or incident that is deemed to have been intentional will most likely result in immediate disqualification from the series and a ban from participating in any future ORCA Sanctioned Events.

Last edited:
I signed up, and I can bring 1 maybe even 2 more!!! (TnT-2000)= For sure, (ozwheels)=Maybe

The no tuning means easy practice for us, just drive around for 300km per 2 nights and boo,. it is what is! 👍

Signed up.. :bowdown:
Looking forward to race you all again... Been a while now.

Btw..
I am not sure how many laps Daytona is going to be?
Post 1 says 40 lap in the track-schedule. Post 2 says 24 laps in description of Daytona road... But by approx. 45 minute a race, I guess it is gonna be 24..

I signed up, and I can bring 1 maybe even 2 more!!! (TnT-2000)= For sure, (ozwheels)=Maybe

The no tuning means easy practice for us, just drive around for 300km per 2 nights and boo,. it is what is! 👍

Yep, part of the point is that you can get on track east and you spend more time on track and less time in the tuning screen. 👍

Signed up.. :bowdown:
Looking forward to race you all again... Been a while now.

Btw..
I am not sure how many laps Daytona is going to be?
Post 1 says 40 lap in the track-schedule. Post 2 says 24 laps in description of Daytona road... But by approx. 45 minute a race, I guess it is gonna be 24..

Oops, I'll get that mended. I'm going to reduce it to 24 laps so it will be 45 minutes like the other races.

I'll be holding preseason races this Tuesday at 8pm EST and this Saturday at 3pm EST at Indy Road Course. The season will kick off the following Tuesday, February 11th at 8pm EST. 👍

I'd put race times, or Tuesday/Saturday in the title.

I didn't think there was room for all of that, the new forum software allows for many more characters than we had before. Now I have one of those threads with a mile long title. :yuck: lol

I'm gonna sit out on the warmup, as I have a lot of stuff going on this week, but I look forward to the start at Daytona!

Sounds like a nice series Brandon!👍

I have sent in my registration for the Saturday races.

Thanks
GTsail

👍

The drivers list graphic auto-refreshes itself so if you don't see your name on there right away just check again in the morning and it should have you listed. If 24 hours goes by and your name is still not listed please send me a PM and I'll get it rectified.

You can throw my hat in the ring but I have no idea how many races I'll make, if any. Kind of topsy turvy at this point...:lol:

Hey Brandon, got a problem with the sign-up page - it keeps telling me I've missed questions :P. If it hasn't submitted can you just shout me and I'll PM you the answers. This series runs quite late for me so forgive me if my attendance is sometimes ... sporadic! I'll do my best to make them though, looking forward to it :cheers:!

Good, some new replies, I was about to post that rolling tumbleweed gif.
@MC-Chase, are you using chrome to fill out that form? If not, your form probably transmitted ok, just returned an error to you.

I use Opera because I'm one of those people who just likes being awkward and different. Oh well then, Brandon has 3 submissions from me now :lol:.

I use Opera because I'm one of those people who just likes being awkward and different. Oh well then, Brandon has 3 submissions from me now :lol:.

The registration process only looks at your latest submission - I can see all three submissions from you and you should now see your name on the list in post three above.

If anyone does make a mistake or needs to change their car colour, car number, PSN id or racing nights, just submit a new registration. The system uses your GTPlanet username as your primary identification.

^ Isn't the work of my crack IT Staff impressive?? :cheers:

I should have a room open this evening by 7:30pm EST for some preseason practice racing if anyone is interested. 👍

^I'll probably pop in for half an hour, I could use the practice - I've barely ever driven Daytona Road.

^I'll probably pop in for half an hour, I could use the practice - I've barely ever driven Daytona Road.

I plan on taking us to my home track of Indy Road Course tonight. Some of us have spent a LOT of time driving around Daytona the last month so I figured it would be a good change, and Indy is kinda similar to Daytona so it should be a good warm up.

Hope you can make it! 👍

Would like to register for the Tuesday group but I am having issues logging into my google acount to register. Not really sure whats wrong.

Would like to register for the Tuesday group but I am having issues logging into my google acount to register. Not really sure whats wrong.

Strange, you shouldn't need to login to Google in order to register. The form is public and doesn't have any security applied to it.
If you are having issues, try switching your browser to 'In Private' or 'Incognito' mode.

Do you need to be logged into google? Shouldn't have to I don't think. If it doesn't work just type your info here and I'll get it entered for ya. 👍

Probably won't have the room open until about 7:45 EST. We're getting 1-2" of snow per hour here so I'm going to give the sidewalk a shoveling and clear the car off real quick.

I'm already mass tired here so I might not be about too long, I should be able to pop in for long enough to get depressed about how far I am off the pace though.

EDIT: Not sure if this is relevant (probably isn't) but I put white wheels on my BMW if you need to add that to my car colour combination.

Latest Posts

Back