Penso's Garage - Renault Clio Cup SMS-R Championship Tune now live

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
banner%2Bwith%2Bborder.jpg

Go HERE to find a list of available tunes with direct links.

Looks like tunes should be compatible between platforms so feel free to try any tune regardless of your engine of choice. Not sure how well the tunes will work with controllers but I'd appreciate some feedback in that regard if someone is willing to give them a go. I don't claim to be an expert in tuning. I'm following tried and true sim tuning techniques and basically following the guidelines in the game. My main focus is going to be creating time attack tunes that can easily be modified for endurance racing by changing a couple of settings. I don't enjoy restarting to keep the tires at optimum temperatures so I'll do my best to make sure the cars stay in the ideal tire temperature range. I'll post my laptimes and leaderboard rankings although I'm not an alien by any stretch, usually a second or more behind the true aliens of sim racing.

Hardware - PC + G27/GTEYE brake mod + 55" Sony LCD + Denon DTS Surround.
Driver Aids - All cars will be tuned with factory settings only, regardless of what a competition allows and lap times will reflect those settings. This means older cars will be driven with heel and toe downshifting, newer cars with paddles. ABS and TC where the series and/or car warrants it.
Driving Style - For the most part, smooth and precise. Most of my braking is done in a straight line and I prefer to use the suspension and aero for turn in grip and not the brakes, although I will use a light brush on the brakes mid-corner, and the throttle, to correct an errant racing line. In my experience what works for me is neutral to slight oversteer, with the ability to kick the back end out under light braking mid corner to correct for mistakes in my entry. Not all cars can or should be tuned this way, but most FR and MR race cars for example, respond well to this approach. A car like the BAC Mono or Ariel Atom wants to oversteer anyway and it would seriously neuter the feel and fun of the car if you completely tuned that out, IMO, so a different approach is required.

As a former kart racer I find I also prefer to late apex most corners and I find it beneficial to lap times - for me. I have noticed that some alien level drivers prefer an earlier turn in than me. It's something I'll experiment with in due time. In this game, as in any sim, you have to hit your marks in order to achieve any sort of consistency and speed. Wildness is punished with high tire wear, high temps leading to less grip and speed being scrubbed off. Smooth is definitely fast in Project Cars, for me anyway. So far I'm finding that tunes don't always transfer perfectly from track to track so each tune will be track specific and may require tweaking for other venues.

Last edited:
Are you planning on a tune for the CTR3 SMS R? If so, that would be so awesome!
At this point I'm not really planning anything:lol: I'm just gonna wing it. I kind of figured that I'm tuning anyway so I might as well post the tunes. Everything seems so nuanced in this game I'm not sure how well any one person's tunes will fit another person but it's worth a try.

It's odd, the PC users have different leader boards than us on PS4. I agree with the smoothness, I can run 44.4-.6 but you can tell I'm man handling the car. Unfortunately on the PS4 it's useless, as our leader boards include all GT cars, there's no GT3 specific list. :confused:

So smoooooooooth… i really need to learn the proper racing lines and start hitting apexs and using all the track
It's the car more than me. I expected it to be a twitchy beast but it was smooth as silk around Brands Hatch with a little tweaking. Completely different to the Ruf which is harder to tame and not nearly as smooth over the bumpy Brands Hatch. The 12C goes where you point it for the most part, the Ruf has a little pause and says, "Oh, you want me to turn eh? Right then..." Brands is a tough track to master with it's blind corners, cambered corners, corners over a rise etc.

BMW Z4 GT3
Spa Francorchamps

BMW%2BZ4%2BGT3.jpg
Couple of notes about the tune:
- Gear ratios are right on the limit, meaning you've got about 100 rpm to spare at the end of the Kemmel straight, so if you use this in a race, you'd best test out the top speed in the draft lest you run out of rpm.
- Tires cool down quite a bit, especially in the stretch from the final corner to the entry of Les Combes.
- Radiator is closed. If you are entering a race with damage you'll have to open this up to prevent overheating and lap times will be slightly slower.
- Brake duct openings might also have to be adjusted depending on driving style and in endurance racing situations.
- Best lap was a 2:17.9, a second off the best time so far, 9th place on the leaderboard.

Settings
Z4 GT3 Tune.JPG

Z4 GT3 Other Settings.JPG

Z4 GT3 Spa Lap time.JPG

Note: This video is edited.

Attachments

• BMW Z4 GT3.jpg
    BMW Z4 GT3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,143
Last edited:
After my race at Spa earlier today, it would be nice to test this setup compared to mine. Than again I didn't have much time to tune.

McLaren 12C GT3
Brands Hatch Indy

McLaren%2BMP4%2B12C%2BGT3.jpg
Notes:
- Tires come out of the pits at 90C vs. 99C in the Z4GT3. I am assuming those are optimium temps for this car so it's tuned to maintain those temperatures. Tires are easy to overheat. Getting a little loose in a couple of corners will add 5C to the rears and it's tought to cool them down because the straights are so short. Beware.
- Radiator is closed. If you are entering a race with damage you'll have to open this up to prevent overheating and lap times will be slightly slower.
- Brake duct openings might also have to be adjusted depending on driving style and in endurance racing situations.
- Best lap was a 0:44.2, which is the world leading time at this moment, but I think that's more of a function of it not being a more popular combination.

Settings
upload_2015-5-24_21-16-50.png

upload_2015-5-24_21-24-28.png

MP4 GT3 Lap time Brands Indy.JPG

Last edited:
Well done on the McLaren. A really nice stable car I think a lot of people will enjoy. Adjusted the LSD to live'n it up a bit for my style and recorded a new personal best of 44.305.

Hey there JP!
It's great to see some meaningful tuning going on here! Is there a file directory folder in the PC version that stores setups? i.e., can we share setups by simply uploading files? Keep up the good work.......👍

Well done on the McLaren. A really nice stable car I think a lot of people will enjoy. Adjusted the LSD to live'n it up a bit for my style and recorded a new personal best of 44.305.
I revisited my earlier run at Brands Indy in the McLaren as I originally used the tune from the full track. I made some adjustments and it's tighter than it was before but easier to drive. Glad it worked for you.

Hey there JP!
It's great to see some meaningful tuning going on here! Is there a file directory folder in the PC version that stores setups? i.e., can we share setups by simply uploading files? Keep up the good work.......👍
I was so hoping that would be the case but apparently not, not that I can find anyway. I hoped it would be like AC where you'd just zip it and post it:ill:. Manually entering things seems so 90's:boggled:

I was so hoping that would be the case but apparently not, not that I can find anyway. I hoped it would be like AC where you'd just zip it and post it:ill:. Manually entering things seems so 90's:boggled:

Yes, I looked around and couldn't find setup files either. My guess is multiple setups are buried somewhere in a single file. I have counted no less than 129 different attributes (setting variables) between Wheel, Assists and Vehicle, so publishing tunes efficiently will be a bit of a challenge.........your approach looks reasonable so far.............👍

Yes, I looked around and couldn't find setup files either. My guess is multiple setups are buried somewhere in a single file. I have counted no less than 129 different attributes (setting variables) between Wheel, Assists and Vehicle, so publishing tunes efficiently will be a bit of a challenge.........your approach looks reasonable so far.............👍
I take screenshots of all the settings, then capture and post or just move them to the spreadsheet. Just learning Gimp too for the graphics but getting the hang of it now. Now that I've got everything set up it only takes about 15 minutes to get a tune up. Videos take longer but I'm getting the hang of that too.

Bmw made me 2 seconds quicker… i wont post my time though as its a bit embarresing compared to yours haha

Looking foward to trying the mclaren tune

Made the mistake of watching a replay and it crashed the game:ouch::mad: Wasn't as diligent with the save as I should have been and lost some tuning work:yuck: Had a good go with the Ariel Atom S/C at Laguna (what a blast this car is!) and lost all that work as well. Might not get back at it until I get back after a couple of days away starting tomorrow night.

Bmw made me 2 seconds quicker… i wont post my time though as its a bit embarresing compared to yours haha

Looking foward to trying the mclaren tune
How did you find the BMW? Neutral, over or understeery? I should have mentioned I've been doing most of my braking in a straight line in Project Cars so far and it affects how I tune as well.

Ariel%2BAtom%2BSupercharged%2Bbannerexp.jpg

Last edited:
How did you find the BMW? Neutral, over or understeery? I should have mentioned I've been doing most of my braking in a straight line in Project Cars so far and it affects how I tune as well.

I done 8 laps Stock then i tuned to see the difference...Thought it was alot more sharper turning in so if anything more oversteery however certainly not in a bad way considering i was quicker 5 laps in a row :D Yeah i do most my braking in a straight line as much as possible.

Back