PS4 Persona 5 (PS3/PS4)

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Shirrako, Nov 24, 2013.

1. wvmgmidget

wvmgmidget Premium

I beat the story last night on a mostly blind playthrough (I looked up how to solve a few puzzles) on Normal. I clocked in 101 hours and 53 minutes of gameplay not counting all the times I died and had to go back; making this my 4th most played game on the PS4 after Fallout 4, Battlefield 1, and Grand Theft Auto V. Here are my thoughts after my first playtgrough.

• The game was excellent. The dungeons were awesome, but the time management stuff outside was what took the cake for me.
    • This might be an unpopular opinion, but Haru was my favorite waifu; she's very sweet, kind, and completely in to you from the start. Though Tae and Makoto were pretty close.
    • I never understood why you could only use four people in boss battles since the argument that you need to be covert no longer holds water.
    • When doing the Depths of Mementos/True Ending I didn't think there were going to be any major fights so I came with what little items I had leftover from Shido's palace and my SP drained very quick. As a result of making a very wrong assumption I was forced to turn the difficulty down to easy after 23 failed attempts agains the Holy Grail (the difference is night and day) in order to defeat it.
    • Smokescreens and that sleep stuff make palace infiltration go so much quicker, especially if you die and have to repeat certain parts.
    • I kind of wished Morgana was evil, but his ending was satisfying.
    • I enjoyed throwing Ryuji under the bus, being sarcastic to Sae and Sojiro and insulting Morgana as much as possible.
    • I didn't think the localization was all that bad.
    • Madarame's Palace was the easiest. Depths of Mementos/Temple was the hardest
    • I kinda wish they didn't tie Madarame and Kaneshiro to Shido to make him look worse. Though it's a relatively minor.
    • All in all this game was incredible and I'm definitely interested in doing another playthrough. I might even check out the 3 or 4 as well.

2. Techy

Techy

- Well, there's a confidant perk you can get which allows you to switch out someone (think it's Hifumi). The first level requires you to be in Joker's turn, and switching someone uses his turn, but the max level doesn't require that anymore, still uses a turn tho. Think this is an invaluable perk to have for the final boss, since he tends to use moves that directly aims at your teammates' weaknesses.
    - Hehe, Haru was a potential waifu. But Makoto inched further ahead. As I was doing the various Confidants to max them out, Hifumi grew on me.
    - Yeah the last area got me good. At the Depths, you're still able to buy items as well as explore the rest of Mementos. But once you get back to the surface, you can no longer buy items. When I realized you can't do that, it made the home stretch significantly longer and fighting the Grail much tougher. Luckily Lavenza can heal you to completely replenish SP and HP, however to get to her would mean going all the way down. Then again, i believe the game warns you beforehand when you're about to reach a point of no return.
    - Definitely check out 3 and 4. Persona 3 will take a while to get used to, but 4 should be easy to pick up.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  3. wvmgmidget

wvmgmidget Premium

• I did get that perk, but I meaning why am I not able to use everyone at once.
    • Hifumi was hard to please, plus she dropped off completely towards the end of the game for some reason.
    • I did not know that, I thought I would have failed it or something. I didn't see a warning either.
    • I'm definitely thinking about it. I heard in P3 you could be a man whore with zero consequences (hehe). Of course, I also want to do a New Game +

4. Stephan

Stephan Premium

wvmgmidget likes this.
  5. Lain

Lain Premium

A bit disappointed that the dancing games aren't coming to Switch, but oh well... I suppose I can buy 'em on Vita if Switch ports don't turn up in a few years. :p

6. Techy

Techy

Bit of a thread bump, but Atlus and emulation http://atlus.com/atlus-and-emulation/ In response to the RPCS3 emulator, which was frequently advertised as being able to run persona 5

It started with Atlus issuing a DMCA on the Patreon page for the emulator

7. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows Premium

To say that Atlus continues to shoot themselves in the foot with regards to PR and Persona 5 is understating it. Massively.

It's hilarious that Atlus is deciding to demonize emulation tools when one of the companies they have an exclusive deal under, Sony, learned the hard way that emulators are legal with the Bleem! case. Even more hilarious, the fact that Bleem!'s original designer I think was eventually hired by Sony for the backend code for PS2 to PS3 emulation, and hell, two of the project leads for PCSX2 were also hired by Sony. Sony is probably the one company that knows that those within the emulation community got the chops.

Atlus is rightfully being raked over the coals for this, especially considering the fact they are brazenly using the DMCA scare tactic to bring down RPCS3. A lot of props however should be given to Patreon for standing their ground and not giving into Atlus's mafioso bag man tactics.

Though this entire episode really just highlight how poorly Atlus USA communicates to the fans. This line has gotten a lot of play on Twitter, but still, it is notable for all the wrong reasons:

[​IMG]

To say this entire statement reeks of passive aggressive contempt for PC users, and indeed, their entire fanbase of Persona fans is again, an understatement. It was present with the straight out and out threat not to stream content past 7/7 too. That's truly what is frustrating about this entire back and forth. It's super obvious that Atlus USA aren't the ones doling out these ultimatums - Atlus Japan is - but USA is making it so much worse with this frankly passive aggressive and snippy word choices that reek of intimidation. It was a problem when John Hardin was PR manager for Atlus USA, and it's still a problem now.

It makes it very hard to support a company that, in the paraphrased words of Hartman in Full Metal Jacket, would screw loyal fans in the ass and not have the goddamn common courtesy to give them a reach around.

Lain likes this.
  8. Lain

Lain Premium

Haha, this is brilliant:
    (Warning: Video has spoilers, viewer discretion advised!)

wvmgmidget likes this.
  9. Stephan

Stephan Premium

Interesting. Gonna guess that it's the definitive version of the game like Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 Golden.

10. Lain

Lain Premium

The only thing that maybe throws a wrench into that idea is the fact that it teases "new projects", plural. But I guess we'll see in March

11. fikridroid

fikridroid

Persona 5 Royal launches October 31 in Japan, 2020 in the west; first details, trailer, and screenshots

Persona 5 Royal will launch for PlayStation 4 on October 31 in Japan and 2020 in the Americas and Europe, Atlus announced.

Here is an overview of the game, via its newly launched Japanese website:
    Trailers

Source

Really excited for this, and hoping that I can use my old P5 base game save for NG+ on P5R lol

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  12. Stephan

Stephan Premium

Man I've been waiting for that. Looking forward to it when it releases.

13. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

Highly intrigued even if I never ever have played a Persona game. Should I wait for the Royal Edition to get into the series on PS4?

14. Stephan

Stephan Premium

The Royal Edition is basically the definitive version of Persona 5 so I suggest you wait.

As for getting into the series part, there should be no problem starting the series off with P5 since as far as my knowledge goes there's no canon story on all of the mainline Persona games.

I personally would suggest playing Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 (or P4G if you don't mind investing for a PSTV/Vita since P4G is the definitive version of P4) first while you wait for P5R to be released.

Hope this helps. :)

15. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

Thanks Stephan :tup: Will wait for the P5R. I really love the artstyle and the improvements for the royal version seem indeed worthwhile to wait for. Not really into handheld gaming so I'll wait :O