Persona 5 (PS3/PS4)PS4 

• Thread starter Shirrako
  • 164 comments
I don't get this "upset" thing about this subject. They have a story, they set the boundaries, they write all of their made up conversations and options. It's like getting upset that Neo in The Matrix falls in love with Trinity instead of Morpheus.... it's a work of fiction which is always a point of view in service of the story itself. Not a collage of points of views where everyone has to be serviced. But hey, what do I know?

I was able to watch one Persona 5 english video that features the first palace boss and so far all of the VAs did well except maybe for Anne's VA. She sounded like a 30 year old girl. Looks like she has the Chie syndrome where in the vanilla P4 her VA sounded like a 30 year old but luckily Erin Fitzgerald was able to fix Chie's VA on the Golden version.

I don't get this "upset" thing about this subject. They have a story, they set the boundaries, they write all of their made up conversations and options. It's like getting upset that Neo in The Matrix falls in love with Trinity instead of Morpheus.... it's a work of fiction which is always a point of view in service of the story itself. Not a collage of points of views where everyone has to be serviced. But hey, what do I know?

I agree. But at the same time, the main characters in Persona 3 and 4 have kind of been blank slates to allow for self-insertion.

But considering that, with the exception of P3P, the main character has always been set-in-stone as male... the games clearly aren't going for the degree of self-insertion that maybe some people think they are or should be. Personally, I'd like to see the series shy away from the self-insertion trope entirely and make main characters with actual personality again.

I agree. But at the same time, the main characters in Persona 3 and 4 have kind of been blank slates to allow for self-insertion.

But considering that, with the exception of P3P, the main character has always been set-in-stone as male... the games clearly aren't going for the degree of self-insertion that maybe some people think they are or should be. Personally, I'd like to see the series shy away from the self-insertion trope entirely and make main characters with actual personality again.
And don't forget about P2EP. We had Maya.

True, but still applies to my point... set-in-stone as female instead of giving players the option to select their own gender.

True, but still applies to my point... set-in-stone as female instead of giving players the option to select their own gender.
I think so. P4 was supposed to have a female protagonist but unfortunately scrapped.

I don't think choosing a gender is a problem. It's the special features that a particular gender will have in a Persona game. In P3P when you choose the female character, you'll get better Social Links plus a cameo P4 character in her early days, new dialogues especially in the ending, the ability to save Shinjiro and a new weapon.

C8kQ8xgUMAIjPa9.jpg

DO YOU KNOW WHAT ****ING TIME IT IS?

C8kQ8xgUMAIjPa9.jpg

DO YOU KNOW WHAT ****ING TIME IT IS?
Lucky. You lucky gamer.

PERSONA TIME!

Unfortunately I'll have to wait for now because I accidentally cancelles my preorder plus copies of P5 easily ran out here in my country.

Impressions from a few hours of play:

- You can definitely see the seams graphically of this game, and you can see it's roots as a PS3 title with some pretty nasty low poly textures in the background, alongside the MC being able to phase through people in places like the school or subways. (Presumably to keep the game running smoothly) Still runs fantastically, absolutely no framerate drops.

- Sneaking in the dungeons sure ain't no Metal Gear or Splinter Cell. You kind of have to lead your movements in order to get the drop on opponents, and the controls for walking around don't feel that great. Then again, they pretty much never have been in regards to Persona.

- English VA is so far so good. Your caretaker's voice is probably the stand out for me, as he sounds quite good, with Igor being a pretty nice surprise, this being my first exposure to the new VA. Adds a real hardness to the voice. There is some weirdness with pronunciations (Ann and Ryuji's last name being the most well publicized) but unless you are a super weeb, chances are you won't care. The grunts and other misc stuff from the MC also sound really right, and I think he has had more voiced lines in the beginning hours then Makoto or Yu had in P3 and 4 combined. (But there still isn't a whole lot)

- The biggest complaint for me is probably how slow the game is to get going. A lot of people have said that the game itself gets into the action really quickly, which is quite the nice change from P4 especially. (I love P4, but the glacial pace of the start of the game truly is detrimental to first time players and people returning for subsequent playthroughs) But to be honest, that is really just surface level, and more so getting you acquainted with gameplay elements. I'm still in the portion of the game where you really feel like you are on rails, subtly (but still noticeably) pushed into what you should do. There's no need for the game to hand hold you for the first three and a half, four hours and then let you loose onto the world. It should have been cut down into about and hour and a half into the game, and the world starts opening up.

Impressions from a few hours of play:

- You can definitely see the seams graphically of this game, and you can see it's roots as a PS3 title with some pretty nasty low poly textures in the background, alongside the MC being able to phase through people in places like the school or subways. (Presumably to keep the game running smoothly) Still runs fantastically, absolutely no framerate drops.

- Sneaking in the dungeons sure ain't no Metal Gear or Splinter Cell. You kind of have to lead your movements in order to get the drop on opponents, and the controls for walking around don't feel that great. Then again, they pretty much never have been in regards to Persona.

- English VA is so far so good. Your caretaker's voice is probably the stand out for me, as he sounds quite good, with Igor being a pretty nice surprise, this being my first exposure to the new VA. Adds a real hardness to the voice. There is some weirdness with pronunciations (Ann and Ryuji's last name being the most well publicized) but unless you are a super weeb, chances are you won't care. The grunts and other misc stuff from the MC also sound really right, and I think he has had more voiced lines in the beginning hours then Makoto or Yu had in P3 and 4 combined. (But there still isn't a whole lot)

- The biggest complaint for me is probably how slow the game is to get going. A lot of people have said that the game itself gets into the action really quickly, which is quite the nice change from P4 especially. (I love P4, but the glacial pace of the start of the game truly is detrimental to first time players and people returning for subsequent playthroughs) But to be honest, that is really just surface level, and more so getting you acquainted with gameplay elements. I'm still in the portion of the game where you really feel like you are on rails, subtly (but still noticeably) pushed into what you should do. There's no need for the game to hand hold you for the first three and a half, four hours and then let you loose onto the world. It should have been cut down into about and hour and a half into the game, and the world starts opening up.
So how do you rate P5 so far? Can we declare this being better than P3FES and P4G and possibly P2IS for those hipsters who still claim that P2 is better than any Persona game?

Yes, this game is the very best Persona game out there. It is a tightly wound ship, and it deserves every damn high score it has gotten.

Picked up the PS3 edition, was harder than I thought to find.

Lots of PS4, first store only ordered PS4 editions, second one had one pre-ordered and one for stock. I got the one.

Ahahahaha get ****ed Atlus.

http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

In-game Content Limit: Please limit video content through 7/7.

Video Content

• You can post however many additional videos you’d like, but please limit each to be at most 90 minutes long.
  • No major story spoilers, and I’ll leave that up to your good judgment. If you need some guidelines, avoid showing/spoiling the ending segments of the first three palaces. While you can show initial interactions with Yusuke, avoid his awakening scene, and that whole deal about THE painting. Also, don’t post anything about a certain student investigator.
  • I know I mentioned not showing the end of each palace, but you can grab footage from the Kamoshida boss fight. However, don’t capture video from the other major boss fights.
  • Must not focus solely on cutscenes/animated scenes, should prominently feature dungeon crawling/spending time in Tokyo.
  • You can post straight gameplay or have commentary.
Streaming Content

This being a Japanese title with a single-playthrough story means our masters in Japan are very wary about it. Sharing is currently blocked through the native PS4 UI. However, if you do plan on streaming, video guidelines above apply except length. If you decide to stream past 7/7 (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED), you do so at the risk of being issued a content ID claim or worse, a channel strike/account suspension.

That being said, Persona 5 is a super special case for us and we’re in ongoing discussion about how our policies may evolve in the future. Thanks for reading and good luck in the Metaverse.

Also, they 'ask' you to limit streaming and videos to 90 minutes.

Get ****ed. Fair use says your **** doesn't fly. Also, 7/7 date refers to in game.

Earlier today on Twitch, I saw someone stream "Persona 5." It was my first look at the vastly popular Persona games, especially being accustomed to their Persona Arena fighting games. I know very little about the series. From what I've seen, the game seems pretty cool. I was kind of reminded of the Yakuza games a bit seeing the stream. Pretty cool game.

Ahahahaha get ****ed Atlus.

http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

Also, they 'ask' you to limit streaming and videos to 90 minutes.

Get ****ed. Fair use says your **** doesn't fly. Also, 7/7 date refers to in game.

I like how those tips to avoiding spoilers actually are spoilers themselves when you think about it.

Earlier today on Twitch, I saw someone stream "Persona 5." It was my first look at the vastly popular Persona games, especially being accustomed to their Persona Arena fighting games. I know very little about the series. From what I've seen, the game seems pretty cool. I was kind of reminded of the Yakuza games a bit seeing the stream. Pretty cool game.

You can start at Persona 5 if you like. Each game stands on its own. But I recommend checking out Persona 4 and 3, preferably 3 before 4.

I like how those tips to avoiding spoilers actually are spoilers themselves when you think about it.

Exactly. It pretty much spoils
Yusuke's
appearance too, for people who are super anal about that.

It is just a massive middle finger to anybody who might be interested in seeing this game in the wild, in action. But then again, I predicted that Atlustube would be going after streamers next, so I am not surprised.

Did Morgana's VA do well in the first palace part where they got the crown and Morgana went crazy over the crown because of her obsession over treasure?

you got the TYH? how's it?
It's pretty sweet, although I do wish they'd have opted not to include the fairly mediocre bag to make the art book more substantial instead.

For the ~$75 I bought it for though, I'd say it was worth it

It's pretty sweet, although I do wish they'd have opted not to include the fairly mediocre bag to make the art book more substantial instead.

For the ~$75 I bought it for though, I'd say it was worth it

I dunno, the bag makes it worthwhile. Besides, chances are they weren't going to make the art book any bigger then it is. They want you to go through hoops to buy the $75 USD (probably with shipping and import) official Japanese one.

To me, the bag is the least enticing inclusion, by quite a large margin. The box itself is more appealing, even.

The bag is just decent enough to be passable for a book bag, but a bit too cheap feeling and looking for me to actually want to personally use it for anything... certainly not for any electronics. Especially since I've already got nicer bags/backpacks (I suspect most people do), I'm not gonna use an objectively worse one just to rep Persona. :P

Back