Photography/Videography Discussion

• Thread starter nobuffalo
  • 199 comments
I feel a bit like the odd duck when it comes to editing now. I'll often crop to force composition and exclude elements, occasionally clone/stamp out certain bits, or even HDR at times. I feel editing is appropriate to show the scene as you saw, which isn't necessarily what the camera records. Of course, this means I'm already considering what I may crop or clone out while looking through the viewfinder, or how I'll employ HDR, focus stacking, etc. Amusingly, several people have assumed I don't edit at all.

Ultimately, editing comes down to taste. If the raw image is meat, then editing is seasoning and cooking. Sometimes all it needs a basic pan sear.

And then there is always that guy that puts Sriracha on everything.

My opinion on cropping.... I normally look at the entire frame before the shot, unless it is a shot where the action is fast and looks messy. I generally look at the center of the frame, then the edge, and then everything in-between.

However, that being said, none of these are on prime lenses. If it is a prime....

location, location, location...

This lens is just bonkers; 1200mm f/5.6L. And it can be all yours for just 180,000 dollars from B&H Photo. The linked review is pretty neat though. Certainly not something I'd want to use though.

Having a kid seems like it could be a photographers dream, to have a subject that you care about so deeply and can take as many photos of as you want would be amazing.

@35mm: Great photos - they have that certain aesthetic quality that lots of East Asian photographers seem to possess. And mostly shot on a Pentax 67. That's enough of a sign, right? :P]

Re: The Sony A7rII looks amazing. Sony really doesn't mess about. Nikon please put that sensor in your D850/D900, thanks.

Saw the new a7RII over on reddit. Sony has just gone completely ham with this thing.

And with their prime lens line-up constantly improving, I'm pretty content with being in this system now.

After thought - I hope they do away with the RAW compression on this thing.

Last edited:
102k ISO :lol:

You have to hand it to Sony; 3+ years ago they were just another brand in the camera market and now they are leading the charge on mirrorless by a country mile.

I really wish the a7ii would have seen the new viewfinder and silent shutter. Actually do you guys think the silent shutter is something that can be done with an update or is it a hardware thing? Even if it is possible through a firmware update I don't think Sony would.

Anyways, the specs on the a7RII make think I'm gonna **** a brick when they're released for the a7SII, if there is one. Also the a7 and a7ii were both $1700 for the body on their initial release but the a7RII will be around $900 more than the a7R was, obviously because it's a much bigger update than the 7 was. I wonder if this means the S will be equally more expensive. :scared:

Last edited:
That camera has taken many by storm. It's bad ass.

The A7s goes to 408k.

Wouldn't get to be at the point of no return at that sensitivity? I mean, they'd have to be wizards if they made sure that images don't have more grain than sand paper at that ISO.

Wouldn't get to be at the point of no return at that sensitivity? I mean, they'd have to be wizards if they made sure that images don't have more grain than sand paper at that ISO.

I've seen some max ISO samples, like this, that show it still has detail. It is more for emergency situations, but the ISO 102k range seems pretty usable. As someone that loves working in low light situations, the A7s and high ISO performance in general certainly have an appeal.

@35mm: Great photos - they have that certain aesthetic quality that lots of East Asian photographers seem to possess.
Exactly!

And mostly shot on a Pentax 67. That's enough of a sign, right? :P]
It's part of the reason I love those photos so much. Definitely takes the whole thing to another level.
One day... one day. :)

After thought - I hope they do away with the RAW compression on this thing.
Excellent point. They're at a level now that needs these little issues sorted.

On the high ISO issue, you have to look at it more from a video perspective.
A year ago I was blown away by this video made with the A7s, where I thought it was daylight until half way through it...

Just downloaded the VSCO starter pack.

Let's see what VSCOing my pictures will do.
Just looked up what VSCO is. It's pretty cool that they make those types of things, and it's actually my first time (kind-of) hearing about that.

Do a lot of photographers use those?

Rather than post a new thread, I will ask in here.

So if one had around $250-300 to spend on a DSLR, which route should they go? Doesn't have to be new, if it's a camera that's a few years old and still gets the job done I would still be interested. Will mainly used for weather photography (so good at capturing lighting and cloud detail) but also for some small diecast photography.

I think my only real requirement would be that it have a rechargeable battery. My current point and shoot operates on 4 AA batteries and it's cost me several times more than the cost of the camera to keep it running...

In b4 Nikon 3200.

Seriously though, the Sony rx100 is supposed to be exceptional for a pns. Not sure how much they go for 2nd hand there, but it may be more practical than going to an interchangeable lens system.

In b4 Nikon 3200.

Seriously though, the Sony rx100 is supposed to be exceptional for a pns. Not sure how much they go for 2nd hand there, but it may be more practical than going to an interchangeable lens system.
I'd like a bit more than a P&S this time around.
Thanks. Lots of suggestions in that thread, maybe the D200 stood out a bit. Will just keep looking around for now.

Just looked up what VSCO is. It's pretty cool that they make those types of things, and it's actually my first time (kind-of) hearing about that.

Do a lot of photographers use those?

My apologies for not responding earlier, I had completely forgotten to. But yes, VSCO is widely used, and like anything else that's got a wide basis of usage, some people love it, and some people hate it.

Thanks. Lots of suggestions in that thread, maybe the D200 stood out a bit. Will just keep looking around for now.

I'm going to vouch for the D200 as well. I shot on one for a good chunk of time and I thought it is still a very competent body now and is a fantastic cheap camera to start off on.

Sooo.... does anyone/has anyone ever used a micro SD card card in their DSLR?

My sister gave me her Sandisk 64gig micro SD and I've been trying to take pictures with it, but it just seems like it doesn't want to work. The read/write speed might be too slow for it, or it could be corrupted. She had problems with it from the start when using it on her GoPro. Some of the footage would pause while sound would continue, and then it would display (the file is corrupt) or something like that and close the video..

I don't really want to say it's corrupt, because I'm thinking it's too slow to write the data and just gets buried under the remaining amount.
The odd thing is, all class 10s (which is what this is supposed to be) have the C and a 10 inside. This has an upside down C and only a 1 in it.
DSC_5757.JPG

414ARpG%2Bt-L._SX300_.jpg

Also, I did the upgrade to W10 and lightroom 6 (not CC) seems to be unresponsive, even after doing the latest update for it. The issue for me primarily occurs when I try to remove a photo on the Develop screen, and then goes unresponsive and I spam the X button to close out.

But anyways, that's something that is more annoying than a SD card not working..

Did you format the card in camera that can often be a problem.
I have the exact same card sitting around at home I'll try it in camera tonight after work to see how it goes.

As for W10 and LR6 seems strange because it's working fine for me.
Check the use GPU setting that has been known to cause problems and uncheck it if need be.
From memory it's in Edit>Preferences>Performance.

Did you format the card in camera that can often be a problem.
I have the exact same card sitting around at home I'll try it in camera tonight after work to see how it goes.

As for W10 and LR6 seems strange because it's working fine for me.
Check the use GPU setting that has been known to cause problems and uncheck it if need be.
From memory it's in Edit>Preferences>Performance.
As soon as I tried to uncheck use GPU it freezes and crashes. I tried multiple times to see if it was a start-up or something.

I'll try uninstalling and a re-installation to see if that helps.

Yeah, sometimes I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro microSD (with the Sandisk SD adapter that came with it) in the SD slot on my D800E. Works fine in that camera, my Fuji and Ricoh play nice with it too.

Hmm.... I'm really don't think it's a class 10 either, as it bogs down my camera to the point of freezing it (never happens on other cards) and sometimes it doesn't write the full image, leaving a green rectangle for the bottom third of the image (it could be green, grey, black, or any other color).

Corrupt? or too slow?

Also, re installed lightroom after having a chat with Adobe as to where exactly in the hell do you find it again, and nothing came of it. What I thought was weird was that it still had the last two images I tried to remove, and those went away. I thought "huh, fixed I guess." But that was until I tried it again with a different picture. Then it started to do the same thing, unresponsive after attempting to remove file (not from disk) and I have to spam to close it.
I couldn't even uncheck the same box again...

Back