Photography/Videography Discussion

• Thread starter nobuffalo
  • 199 comments
I'd personally go with the Q over the Sony because of the 28mm lens that is faster.

I'd sacrifice the faster lens and the Leica brand over this:
nexttorx1back.jpg

nexttorx1top.jpg

nexttorx1front.jpg

Size.

It would be the only reason why I would ever buy one of these cameras, and the difference is quite substantial.

That isn't really a massive size difference though, due to their lenses both cameras would take up a similar footprint in the bag. For something truly compact a Ricoh GR/Nikon A is the only option. Even a Sony A7 with a collapsible Leica 50mm Elmar/Voigt 50mm Heliar/M-mount pancake would take up less space in terms of depth, which is usually the main issue when packing a bag.

You can't mention collapsible lenses for the sake of saving up around 20mm of thickness (which I totally understand the importance) and then ignore the 23mm of difference between the RX1 and the Q. ;)

And those 23mm account for a difference of 25% of the total thickness. Although not massive, it's quite significant when we're in the field of the smallest FF cameras.

Didn't realise the difference there. My mistake. If you look at it as percentages then yeah, huge difference, but I'm sure most bags have 23mm of leeway in their padding, and both cameras will be able to fit in a similar space. And then there's the actual shape of the camera if you decide to pocket it - a Leica M with a collapsed 50, while bigger in terms of volume (but not depth) feels smaller in a jacket pocket as it's mostly flat especially if you put it in a pocket with the lens facing towards your body, while both the Q and RX1 would make a weirdly shaped bulge.

But it doesn't really matter as I'll won't be able to afford either one and the Ricoh GR fits in a jeans pocket anyway! :lol:

@35mm - forgot how small the RX1 was. But the speed wasn't the big appeal to me as much as the focal length - I just don't care for 35mm that much.

@F1GTR - Curious what you think about the Sony RX100 cameras compared with the Ricoh GR?

@35mm - forgot how small the RX1 was. But the speed wasn't the big appeal to me as much as the focal length - I just don't care for 35mm that much.

@F1GTR - Curious what you think about the Sony RX100 cameras compared with the Ricoh GR?

I've tried a MkI out and they're nice cameras, not as good as the GR in terms of outright image quality: the lens is better, you get all the benefits of APS-C vs 1", B/W conversions are actually the best I've seen short of a Leica Monochrom, and the ergonomics are better than the RX100, and the configurability puts my D800E to shame. The video mode isn't the best though. Having 28mm-equiv. only isn't an issue for me as it's probably my favourite focal length and I used an older GRDIII for a few years before I got my GR.

I would say that the RX100 is a nicer all-rounder though due to its zoom lens and the great video modes (especially with the MkIV). It's like an M3 estate to the Ricoh's Ariel Atom. The IQ is more than good enough for web stuff and this amazing project was mostly shot on a RX100 II: http://www.msnbc.com/interactives/geography-of-poverty/index.html

@F1GTR @casey_2005 @wfooshee @Azuremen Helps!

Below are two frames from my last roll - scanned without any edits. You can see one is relatively flat and one is more contrasty. The camera settings were identical and the pics were in succession so no changing in lighting. Any ideas on why they look so different?

Last edited:
@Mike Rotch - It may be hard to tell but are the frames visibly different when just viewing the film? That would at least eliminate the scanner being the cause. Perhaps your shutter isn't entirely accurate, although I'm not sure if it would cause that kind of difference in exposure.

It looks like the levels weren't zeroed in completely on the second one (i.e the blacks were lifted up a tad), as I see a similar range of tones in both photos. Additionally the developer may not have been in contact with the less contrasty frame for a long as the other one, but that's a bit unlikely.

Thanks for the input. 👍

I rescanned both - trying standard level and then applying my own level and whilst the latter brings them closer together post scan, the negs are definitely different. Very weird. I can only ascribe it to a shutter aberration - which given its from a 55 year old camera, is plausible.

Ok guys looking for some advice and or inspiration.

As a gift for Mrs Shaun at Christmas I'm putting together a photo album. The album will be purely of our 2 boys. Over the last few months Ive been taking shots of them with this in mind, some candid, some setup with lighting etc.

There is around 60-70 pics to choose from which I've culled down to about 40 that I prefer, from those 40 there are around 15 that I consider must pics for the album.

Anyway advice as to layout would be nice.
I've finally tracked down a nice leather album which can take prints up to A3 in size with 20 pages that the prints are to stuck on not sleeved so there are many options for layout.

Printing wise will be done myself so there wont be a limit on the size/aspect ratio of the prints with A3 being the upper limit.
A mix of print sizes would be preferred.
So a few intial questions for starters.

Pics per page for the smaller prints?
A mixture of print sizes on pages?
And the one that I seem to be struggling with the most, pics on both sides of the pages or what I'm leaning to atm is just on the RHS when the album is opened?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Shaun.

Pics per page for the smaller prints?
Two per page, unless they're large prints.
A mixture of print sizes on pages?
Depending on the shots, yes as repetition can be boring, but certainly not a deal breaker.
pics on both sides of the pages or what I'm leaning to atm is just on the RHS when the album is opened?
Both.

Maybe look through Snapfish for layout ideas?

Thanks @TB and @35mm for the links, both handy to look through for some ideas.

TB the suggestions are taken on board. 👍

Currently printed some the A3 prints and then when I've fully made up my mind on all the other smaller ones I'll print them out and test some various layouts, as I think until I see them in the actual book to visualise it I still won't know. :lol:

Did I just see Tim Roth in that trailer? I had no idea he was into photography.
Yep, he was interviewed on why he bought a print. I highly recommend watching it if you can, apart from some amazing imagery, the story around her flawed character is quite something.

Yep, he was interviewed on why he bought a print. I highly recommend watching it if you can, apart from some amazing imagery, the story around her flawed character is quite something.
Will definitely do. Thanks for reminding us about it. 👍

Just watched this documentary on Vivian Maier. Amazing, both the art and the story of the person behind it.

Funny . . . we began this thread talking about her - and she's surfaced again. I'm not surprised at all though - any person with a passion for looking through a camera will be intrigued, if not captivated, by this whole story.

A page or two back I put up an Andre Wagner vid, here is another:

Life fascinates us - especially the moments of it. As photographers we hold that power to capture that moment - at least arrest the visual power the moment exerted on us and imprison it firmly for all others to see what we saw.
Maier did this to some extent but in a detached manner - as if recording the sporadic movements of humans that defined them as a species. Others do it with some agenda - to bring out the terror of war, or the bathos of humanity in some other way - or as with BK - to bring out facets of being black and its moments in a familiar habitat - to show the opposites of what would be stereotypical - as with the caring dad with the kid on the bike that opposes the common idea that such dads don't do those things.
Because of the candidness of the shot, and the spontaniety of the moment, credibility is thrown sharply into focus.
Look - this is the truth, he is saying with his photos.

Here is a most fascinating videographer. . .
I shouldn't spoil it for you - it's long but worth it - I rewatched it immediately I watched it the first time - the stills are masterpieces of light control.
I've read elsewhere that it is extremely difficult to duplicate the real colours in this place - but he has captured the light so well that even on my humble laptop the stills are picture perfect. He has scattered stills throughout the video.
His job?
Videographing children who have open-heart surgery.
Be advised some of the surgery pics can be frightening.
What I found most fascinating in addition to being absolutely awed by the stills - is his whole routine - all the gear - and how well he manages all his stuff.
He also throws in a few great tips now and then.
This discussion is the perfect one to throw this into. Enjoy at your leisure. :)

I got my first real camera for Christmas and I've been playing around with it, and getting pleasing results. It's Canon EOS Rebel T5, a decent first DSLR. I'll start uploading some things soon. 👍

So I had previously discussed buying the vertical grip for my a7ii and I went with the Sony one, it was pricey at $350 but does the job well. It makes handling the camera in both orientations far better, my pinky and index fingers were always hanging off the bottom when shooting landscape and the grip allows for a really firm and comfortable grasp of the camera. When shooting portrait orientation the grip is deep and very nice. My only compliant is the lack of buttons or rather the dial which I use for adjusting ISO. The dial on the body is reachable but it's a stretch. The grip is small with not a lot of room but I feel like they could have incorporated it in some way.

In other news I was recently contacted by a friend of a friend who is in need of some engagement photos, I have never done such a thing but I figured I gotta jump sooner or later so I accepted the gig and we'll be getting together over the weekend to discuss things. Coincidently, my brother and his fiancé wanted me to take a couple photos of them for use for their engagement so yesterday with a break in the weather we did an impromptu shoot at a local park. I was quite surprised with the results. I mainly used my Pentax 50mm 1.4 and used the Samyang 85mm 1.4 for a couple other shots. I used one of the vsco starter presets but still need to do some touch up work on a few of the photos, mainly removing one of the trees from my brothers shoulders in one of the shots and a piece of trash in another. My angles could be better on a few of the shots and I need to work on poses and ideas but overall I was pleased. Here's a link, any cc would be appreciated. 👍 The photos are pretty low resolution as I'm using my phone tethered for Internet.

Edit: I've also have a version of the B&W shot where I have removed the railings from behind them, and the one where they are walking on the rock wall I removed the plant that is crossing her leg.

Last edited:
Back