Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,139 comments
Donald Campbell piloting Bluebird K7 on 4th January, 1967.

image_update_img.jpg

In his bid for an 8th water speed record (aiming to go beyond 300mph) at Coniston Water in the Lake District, Cumbria, the hydroplane experienced stability issues having been clocked at 320mph at the measured kilometre on his second run. It started to bounce out of the water, then eventually lifted up and into a backflip, eventually crashing nose first and cartwheeling across the water. Campbell died instantly: his body, and K7, were never recovered from Coniston Water.

After a 22 year restoration program led by Bill Smith (who had lead a dive team to recover the wreckage and Campbell's body in 2001), Bluebird returned to the water on 4th August, 2018. The engine was successfully restarted whilst the hydroplane was afloat on Loch Fad, on the Isle of Bute in Scotland. It will eventually be housed in a purpose built wing at the Ruskin Museum near Coniston Water.

8161002.jpg

1533517138131.jpg
To do 320mph (515km/h) on land is one thing. To attempt that speed on water is just plain crazy.

I read Leo Villa's book "Record Breakers". It is an amazing story about an amazing pair of men.

I watched the videos of the runs today. I almost cried, it was so beautiful and amazing to see them run!

Oh, and someone is going for 500 on the water. Not sure if they have done it yet or not, but the boat is finished, and it is planned.

"Grand Theft Auto: Eastern Front 1942"
Red Army soldier, Vladimir Kondratenko and a Panzer IV he stole from the Germans. November, 6th, 1942.
TyUvBrbfpOQ.jpg

His award note says that he knocked out two enemy tanks with anti-tank rifle, destroyed a car, and drove one of the tanks back to his friendly positions.

I took these photos in the late 80's while in the US Army.

Downtown East Berlin, German Democratic Republic.

4WNFN0z.jpg

Not much traffic. I'll bet the subway was packed.

It's not like there were no cars.

F5abtvO.jpg

It truly was a leftist paradise. So much so, that they had to build a wall to keep the filthy capitalists out.

6vHKpNI.jpg

Do you remember what intersection that first picture is? Would be interesting to see it now.

Pretty sure I found it right here:

https://goo.gl/maps/pLtekVAMu7y
Thanks, I would have never found that.

I was in the Berliner Fernsehturm, the tall communication tower to the southwest of the intersection.

I ate there. It was really cheap. 65¢ got you one West Mark. One West Mark got you 14 East Marks.

I had a steak dinner for about two bucks.

Last edited:
25 years ago - the 'Black October' in Moscow.
October, 3-4, 1993. A little civil war in the heart of the Russian capital.

A conflict between the RF president Boris Yeltsin and the parliament (Supreme Soviet). The president ordered to dissolve the parliament in September, but the parliament refused to comply and declared impeachement of Yeltsin. The protestors supporting the Supreme Soviet assaulted the television center and other key assets of the city, breaking through the police lines. In response, Yeltsin, who controlled the army, ordered it to suppress the rebellion by force, using lethal weapons and even tanks.

Pro-parliament protestors storm a police cordon.
9C6QsM-LiMo.jpg

The rebels on the barricades, under the flags of right-wing nationalists and communists, standing side by side. Looks weird, but they were united by their hate to Yeltsin.
hcLTddKGd74.jpg

A barricade near the Moscow's White House - the parliament building.
%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC-6.jpg

Members of the Supreme Soviet using candles inside the White House - the building was cut out of electricity, water and central heating.
F70S-3g89og.jpg

T-80UD tanks of the elite Kantemir division shooting at the White House.
inx960x640.jpg

The end. A symbolizing photo.
The burned White House and a billboard with a cigarette advert and "Date with America" slogan written on it.
1472549789164958307.jpg

According to the official data, 187 people were killed, but unofficial sources estimate this number to be over 1,500.

The Western powers have recognized Yeltsin as the legitmate leader of the Russian Federation.

Last edited:
The atomic bomb mushroom cloud over Nagasaki on August 9, 1945. Picture taken by Hiromichi Matsuda from Koyagi-jima 5 miles from Nagasaki.
heoS65u.jpg

The atomic bomb mushroom cloud over Nagasaki on August 9, 1945. Picture taken by Hiromichi Matsuda from Koyagi-jima 5 miles from Nagasaki.
heoS65u.jpg
I could be wrong but I reckon that’s the shockwave visible about halfway across the frame.

Is there any record of what Matsuda-san felt or experienced after taking the photo?

World's First Cash Machine, 27th June 1967

English comedy actor Reg Varney was the first person to use the world's first cash machine. It was set up at the Barclays branch in Enfield and Varney, who was living in the North London town at the time, was invited to be photographed as the first person to use it.

The actual machine itself was a scanning machine which scanned a marked card issued by a bank clerk which was to be used at the machine for an after hours withdrawal.

pri_44812173.jpg

methode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F17896ed6-5da1-11e7-a852-e6c7fb5977ff.jpg

50337.jpg

Last edited:
I'd never noticed how Germanic the Barclay's logo is/was until seeing it now in black and white. Perhaps the cyan blue its usually seen in softens the symbolism. I have no idea why their logo would use such Germanic or east European symbolism, i can't find anything in the companies history that would point it in that direction.

I'd never noticed how Germanic the Barclay's logo is/was until seeing it now in black and white. Perhaps the cyan blue its usually seen in softens the symbolism. I have no idea why their logo would use such Germanic or east European symbolism, i can't find anything in the companies history that would point it in that direction.

In fairness, that must be an old logo. The current Barclays logo is a lot softer with less wing detail making it look less intimidating.

The eagle is a symbol in many European cultures, not just Germanic. Most notably in Poland (white headed eagle is the coat of arms), Romania (gold headed eagle is the coat of arms), Montenegro (gold double-headed eagle is the coat of arms), Russia (gold double-headed eagle is the coat of arms), Kazakhstan (gold eagle is featured on the flag) and Albania (black double-headed eagle is the flag).

It comes from historically being a Roman symbol, which itself was adapted from eagles representing Zeus in ancient Greek heraldry. But because the Holy Roman Empire became such a German-centric polity I suppose it's hard to ignore the Germanic association but it's really common in a lot of places, not just Germany and Austria.

It comes from historically being a Roman symbol, which itself was adapted from eagles representing Zeus in ancient Greek heraldry. But because the Holy Roman Empire became such a German-centric polity I suppose it's hard to ignore the Germanic association but it's really common in a lot of places, not just Germany and Austria.

Sure. I just wondered how the symbol fitted in with an English bank with seemingly no connection to anything else that uses the spread eagle as a symbol. The eagle isn't a common bird in most of Britain, and probably wasn't back in the mid-1700's when the bank was founded. It doesn't hold any kind of symbolism here and i can see no connection between it and the bank's mostly Quaker roots. Abstract company logos might be common place now, but assuming the logo dates bank a while i'd imagine it has some sort of meaningful reference.

You can criticize the Nazis for a lot of things, but their dress sense isn't one of them. They sure knew how to accessorize.

Going to War with style

43551198_1178283648995537_2712858475532124160_n.jpg

To continue with the thread. Ottoman Muslim refugees from the Balkans in the Dolmabahce Mosque this was before World War 1.

I guess refugee crisises are nothing new but bascially created due to the consequences of wars.

Last edited:
Sure. I just wondered how the symbol fitted in with an English bank with seemingly no connection to anything else that uses the spread eagle as a symbol.

This archived post from Barclays themselves seems to suggest that it has been their logo ever since 1728 at the earliest and that due to illiteracy, a pictorial sign was more useful than a named sign; the building they moved into in that year had an eagle sign so they left it.

Although this Torygraph article likes to talk about how the old logo with the more detailed eagle was dropped in favour of the minimalist one used now due to its "Nazi connotations" even though this is plainly bollocks given the countries I listed also using it as a symbol.

Back