18mlpha66cr70jpg.jpg

as11-40-5878~medium.jpg

as11-40-5902~medium.jpg

as11-40-5903~orig.jpg

apollo11TranquilitybasePan600h.jpg

as11-37-5528~medium.jpg

apollo_11_aldrin_in_lm_post_eva_july_20_1969_as11-37-5534.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta be disappointed with that assignment...
I was watching interviews with the surviving crew and I think it was Collins talking about firsts (Armstrong having been the first to put boot to moon), saying Buzz had a first too; he was the first back onto the lunar module. I wonder if he might still be bitter about it.

:lol:

I don't think he is--at least not based on that remark--but it did seem a little catty.

It's astonishing that those photos are 50 years old. They don't look it. Bummer we lost Neil just seven years ago.

It's astonishing that those photos are 50 years old. They don't look it.

It's a testament to the Hasselblad's capabilities: they had to work in temperatures ranging from 120°C in the sun, to -65°C in the shade, as well as dealing with lack of gravity. The camera used by Armstrong had never even been tested in space before the mission.

Shame really that only the film magazines from Apollo 11 to 17 made it back from the Moon – there's a total of 12 camera bodies up there, among over things.

Bummer we lost Neil just seven years ago.

That's the only downside to all this, not having him around. I think one of Aldrin's recent wishes was (perhaps like everyone else) to have had all three members together on the anniversary.

Last edited:
Pratt-Whitney_T-34_B-17_testbed_NAN10-50.jpg

This image confuses my brain somewhat. Here we clearly have a B-17, but then we also have a engine in the nose, and it's the only one that's on!

This is a photo taken in 1950 when they were testing the Pratt & Whitney T-34 Turboprop. They used an old B-17 as a test bed.

The 4 original engines in the B-17 produced ~1,200hp each giving a total of 4,800hp. The T-34 produced at least 5,200hp and could fly the 'plane on its own!

---

This is B-17 All American making its way home after colliding with a Me109. I'm not really sure how it is still able to fly and it made it home without any crew injuries.

19430201AllAmericanB17inFlight.jpg

View attachment 839485

This image confuses my brain somewhat. Here we clearly have a B-17, but then we also have a engine in the nose, and it's the only one that's on!

This is a photo taken in 1950 when they were testing the Pratt & Whitney T-34 Turboprop. They used an old B-17 as a test bed.

The 4 original engines in the B-17 produced ~1,200hp each giving a total of 4,800hp. The T-34 produced at least 5,200hp and could fly the 'plane on its own!

---

This is B-17 All American making its way home after colliding with a Me109. I'm not really sure how it is still able to fly and it made it home without any crew injuries.

View attachment 839486
Those old bombers were built like tanks. The airframes were very sturdy and could still fly with a lot of damage; that's how they were engineered. I'm sure there are several stories of bombers being heavily damaged and still getting home safely.

Speaking of old planes, I've always been fascinated with JATO/RATO planes.

Boeing B-47B

Boeing_B-47B_rocket-assisted_take_off_on_April_15%2C_1954_061024-F-1234S-011.jpg

Boeing B-47E

061024-F-1234S-008.jpg

Lockheed P2V-3C Taking Off From USS Franklin D. Roosevelt

800px-Lockheed_P2V-3C_Neptune_takes_off_from_USS_Franklin_D._Roosevelt_%28CVB-42%29_on_2_July_1951_%2880-G-629296%29.jpg

P2V-3C071.jpg

Boeing 727

Even some commercial airliners had to use JATO in high-altitude airports in South America where the air was too thin to generate enough speed.

yxldvpd340q11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 839486

Reminds me of the Aloha 243 flight. Few injuries, but only fatality was from a flight attendant getting sucked out in mid-flight. That's pretty incredible.

Aloha737_photo09.jpg

chrome_2018-04-27_20-19-13.png

--

Even some commercial airliners had to use JATO in high-altitude airports in South America where the air was too thin to generate enough speed.

lift

Eh, the rockets no matter which way they're pointed, don't produce lift. It's just a secondary thrust source for more speed so that the wings can then generate the amount of required lift. It would be no different comparing that of an aircraft equipped with an afterburner to one without. Essentially it's a secondary source of thrust after the combustion stage within the engine.

Aldrin and Armstrong during Extravehicular Activity (EVA) training – April 22nd 1969

S69-32233~medium.jpg

This photo looks fake and setup indoor to me...

There seem to be too many shadows....

Looks so weird...

If gravity is a fraction of the earth, then surely the astronauts movements would result in the moon dust to be easily kicked off and flying everywhere... And yet here, the photo is crispy clear....

I am having a hard time believing....

EDIT:
I JUST SAW THE WORD TRAINING LOL
the metal frame structure in the background gave it away...:dopey:

Time for me to go to bed... :lol:

Last edited:

View attachment 839486[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, the story goes that the tail gunner tried to leave the tail, but was unable to because his weight was keeping the tail from flopping around and ripping off.

When he tried to leave, the tail started whipping around, and he couldn't catch the hand of the person trying to help him out.

So, he just sat in the back of the plane and prayed it didn't break off.....

Lucky for the ENTIRE plane, it didn't.

And, yes, those B-17's were built like tanks!

Back