Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,139 comments
Don't really know if this appropriate considering what happened to it's occupants... I'm not saying you can't post pictures of a 550 Spyder and a Carrera GT but posting pictures of the exact cars that people were killed in is a bit insensitive IMO.

I understand your comment, but it’s not like we’re looking at crash scenes. Those are historic cars due the untimely deaths of the occupants.

Don't really know if this appropriate considering what happened to it's occupants... I'm not saying you can't post pictures of a 550 Spyder and a Carrera GT but posting pictures of the exact cars that people were killed in is a bit insensitive IMO.
I kinda understand what you're trying to say, but I feel that as long as it's not the crash photos, I don't think it's insensitive.

I mean it's like if I post a picture of the Renault F1 that Senna drove or Ken Miles driving the J Car. It's not insensitive IMO.

Last edited:
East_west_shaking_hands_by_russell.jpg

Doubtful. When that photograph was taken, the most common method used to take photographs required fifteen to thirty seconds of exposure time. Because of the time it took, a subject's movement resulted in a blurring of the subject. Compare to photographs of nighttime traffic that show streaks of red and white light indicating movement of headlights and taillights along the roadways.

This is a neat place to visit. My family always went to a historic place when we went out to visit family every year, and this would have been one of them. Wish I had some pictures of it.....

Guy on the right train sure does look spooky though.
I suppose, though his appearance is still easily explained by shift during film exposure.

Daguerrotype was still used to a moderate degree at that time and took considerably longer (though offered higher quality images), as in actual minutes, depending on the light available, so if it was used here...mad respect to the dude on the left holding his hat up. And the guy straight-arming the champagne (presumably) bottle, for that matter.

Last edited:
I suppose, though his appearance is still easily explained by shift during film exposure.

Daguerrotype was still used to a moderate degree at that time and took considerably longer (though offered higher quality images), as in actual minutes, depending on the light available, so if it was used here...mad respect to the dude on the left holding his hat up. And the guy straight-arming the champagne (presumably) bottle, for that matter.
That bottle of champagne(?) would've felt as heavy as a case of the stuff in the end :crazy:

That bottle of champagne(?) would've felt as heavy as a case of the stuff in the end :crazy:
Yeah. Given the number of people pictured, I suspect it's not Daguerrotype because of the exposure time. It was probably tintype.

Last edited:
Test Card F

One of the most famous images in British television history. This test card was used on the BBC between 1967 and 1998 during the night when no programmes were being broadcast. In 1998, BBC One began broadcasting 24 hours a day and BBC Two replaced the test card with pages from Ceefax.

This is the actual image used for the test card. On the cropped test card itself, Bubbles the Clown is more saturated to better calibrate the broadcast cameras.

TCF_centre.jpg

Test Card F

One of the most famous images in British television history. This test card was used on the BBC between 1967 and 1998 during the night when no programmes were being broadcast. In 1998, BBC One began broadcasting 24 hours a day and BBC Two replaced the test card with pages from Ceefax.

This is the actual image used for the test card. On the cropped test card itself, Bubbles the Clown is more saturated to better calibrate the broadcast cameras.

TCF_centre.jpg
I think the X on the blackboard was the exact centre of the screen.

Back