Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,140 comments
1976: Incumbent candidate Gerald Ford in San Antonio, Texas eating a tamale without first removing the corn husk in which it was cooked. Ford would later lose Texas in the general election and not secure a second term as president.

27foodpolgraphix-ford-superJumbo.jpg
President Johnson once described Ford as having played too many football matches without his helmet, or words to that effect.

It seems he may have been right. 😂

Weymouth Harbour Tramway

Street running heavy rail is a rarity in most the the world and the Weymouth Harbour Tramway was unique in Great Britain due to the laws on railways being enclosed by fencing, with the exception of some bridges and single street crossings.

From 1865 until 1987 the service from London Waterloo ran as far as Weymouth railway station and then continued down this line to the station at Weymouth Harbour, connecting with passenger ferries and cargo ships at the harbour. The trains ran at a crawl under walked supervision but care had to be taken with badly parked cars and the usual day to day foot and road traffic.

49916259088_b8bca681ab_b.jpg

33109_Weymouth_Harbour_Tramway_August_1981.jpg

37741852891_87976ed49e_b.jpg

wey1.jpg

51053093697_f3cc678e28_b.jpg

Last edited:
As a chain smoker, I can honestly say that throat irritation isn’t something that is a bother unless one is new to smoking.

The biggest concern is smoking doctor approved tobacco because that’s the stuff that doesn’t lead to cancer and respiratory disorders. Doctors should know, right?

At the stage that anyone becomes a regular smoker, mild cigarettes are a waste of time. Give us that real dose of nicotine and toxic smoke. From a cigar.

I find the Phillip Morris ad with what looks like a Bell Boy, the most offensive.

He barely looks to be a teenager & has no place advertising such an addictive habit.

I should know, I started smoking as a 12-year-old. Just so I could be one of the cool kids at secondary school.

I had my last cigarette 7:30 am, Tuesday, 18th October, 2022.

I know this because I was trapped in my truck after a very serious accident, waiting to be cut free.

It's a hell of a way to kick a habit, but gone were the cravings for nicotine, the withdrawal symptoms that had won in the past, and the need to spend $285/week for the 180 cigarettes.

That’s enough to force me to quit. I don’t even spend that much on my mortgage.

Well done on beating the death cult. That’s no mean feat.
Thank you mate.

The Australian government passed into Law, quarterly tax increases for the sinners.

Cigarettes are taxed per 'stick', and alcohol is taxed on a scale of alcohol volume % and volume millilitres.

Smoking was essentially costing me roughly 25% of my income.
By quitting, I've given myself a 25% pay rise.

Thank you mate.

The Australian government passed into Law, quarterly tax increases for the sinners.

Cigarettes are taxed per 'stick', and alcohol is taxed on a scale of alcohol volume % and volume millilitres.

Smoking was essentially costing me roughly 25% of my income.
By quitting, I've given myself a 25% pay rise.
I can believe it.

Last time I was in the UK a pack of smokes was as much as a takeaway meal.

Here I don’t have that problem as I buy loose Toby for the same price as a Coke.

Thread derailed. Sorry.

5ca3a64a2730ca0c1b71f402.jpeg

1932: This image of 11 construction workers sitting on a beam of what is now the GE Building 850 feet above New York City began as a publicity stunt but became an iconic early symbol of the building boom at the height of American industrialization.​

Back