Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,139 comments
Paul Newman and Clint Eastwood in 1972.

1594.jpg

Last edited:
FmW6BoZWAAITX2M.jpg

Technically not a 'photo from history', though it is a photo of a cool picture that has some personal significance to me...

This very cool drawing shows the docks of Glasgow as they used to be, with Govan on the right (south) of the River Clyde, and the docks at Finnieston and Anderston on the left (north).

Absolutely none of these docks exist any more, and what used to be a teeming hub of ships and global trade is now mostly luxury apartments (well, not mine), entertainment venues and hotels.

What used to be a train yard on the left of the picture is where I bought my first apartment, and it's surprisingly close to where the water used to be. The docks immediately to the right of the trainyard is now home to the Scottish Exhibition Centre, the Hydro (music venue), the 'Armadillo' (concert hall) and multiple hotels.

One of the only vestiges left of this era is the Finnieston Crane, which is the dark blue-ish crane jutting out into the Clyde on the North bank, near top middle of the drawing.

This photo was taken and shared by a guy called Norrie Wilson who is better known as 'Lost Glasgow' on Twitter. A few months ago, I spotted him in a local pub and bought him and his mate a pint, which I'm glad to say they reciprocated and bought me one back, so I was able to chat to him for a bit.

Boy George with Mr. T on the set of The A-Team in 1986.

MV5BNjY0NWVhZGUtNjIyZC00ODdiLTk3MWItM2U2NWRlMWZiZGVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

"You gotta be kiddin'. They don't want no English rock star with eyeball glitter. This is a tough crowd."

I still use stuff at work that has "Y2K compliant" stickers on it
Somebody ought to peel those off.

Ibn Saud & Franklin D. Roosevelt on the USS Quincy (1945)

Fleet Admiral Leahy is on the left and Colonel Eddy is the interpreter. This meeting took place after the Yalta conference.

Franklin_D._Roosevelt_with_King_Ibn_Saud_aboard_USS_Quincy_%28CA-71%29%2C_14_February_1945_%28USA-C-545%29.jpg

Hitler's Dental Remains

The only remains that were left when his body was burnt before the Soviet capture of the Führerbunker.

Adolf_Hitler%27s_dental_remains_%28colour%29.jpg

I never drank coke until I was over 20. It tastes horrible to me. Makes me want to gag, in fact.

So I completely get his dislike. If you didn't get used to (or love) it when you are young, it's hard to like when you are older.

I never drank coke until I was over 20. It tastes horrible to me. Makes me want to gag, in fact.

So I completely get his dislike. If you didn't get used to (or love) it when you are young, it's hard to like when you are older.
In my late 20’s I was drinking more than a litre each day.
Now I drink maybe a handful each year only when I’m at a restaurant.
I’d still use it for a mixer if I ever drank spirits though.

In my late 20’s I was drinking more than a litre each day.
Now I drink maybe a handful each year only when I’m at a restaurant.
I’d still use it for a mixer if I ever drank spirits though.
The real Coca Cola, not Pepsi, Dr Pepper or any other imitation, is the only mixer I'll use.

Drinkers of neat, unspoiled spirits will say, Coke is as bad as any, but IMO there's only one mixer.
To use the others is like taking your tongue & palate on a cheap, double date McDonalds.

As a drink by itself, yeah, I can have bad days where I might do 600 - 1200ml, especially in summer. Call it a moment of weakness. It's also a matter of what the shop has to offer. If that's all they have in the fizzy section, them I'm kind of backed into a corner.

I did try and make a change for the better a few years ago by greatly reducing the amount of sugar in my fizzy drink choices. Anything has got to be better than 16 teaspoons in a 375ml can, right? Mineral Water with added fruit juice such as a Schweppes with 50% less sugar, has got to be better than doing bugger all.

Did Coke still have 'Mexican marching powder' added to it in the 50s?
When did they stop that?

Back