Playing on PS4 with a Logitech Driving Force GT & G27 with FFB

• Thread starter edu27
  • 396 comments
knd
Try this:
PS4 off.
Plug to the PC: wheel, PS4 controller via USB cable, USB serial converter.
Plug to PS4: teensy board or equivalent
Turn on the PS4 via Power button, let it start to the main menu.
Press the PS4 controller PS button to turn the controller on
Run GIMX-Serial (don't have the correct name here, the one that have the check and start button.)
in the Outup dropdown: should be "DIY USB" or something like that
in the Port: "COM3" (or other, if not check device manager)
input: "Physical devices"
in Config: "LogitechDrivingForceGT_G29.xml" (or G25/G27 as wheel used...don't forget to download in the menu the config for your wheel)
Grab mouse: Checked

Click check
if it's ok
Start...

go play :P (Hope so)

Thanks for your help! The G27/ PS4/ Project Cars are now getting along marvelously! Once I loaded up the Logitech drivers and plugged the DS4 into the laptop, everything fell right into place.

This adapter works like a charm! Steering is spot on along with all pedal inputs. The wiring is a bit on the convoluted side, but for the price of admission it's a minor inconvenience. Another satisfied customer here! Below are some additional information that I though might be helpful for those who want to give this a try.

Here's an overall pic of what the setup should look like after you're done with the instructions.

25542721848_5f0332c642_b.jpg

Notes & Links:

-GIMX DIY USB adapter for Dummies This is the basis for the majority of the instructions. I would read through there thoroughly as it gives you a step by step guide on what to buy, where to buy it & how to install the software. Once you fully understand those instructions, supplement them with my notes below.
-USB Serial Converter: Buy from someone in the US or you'll be waiting F..O..R..E..V..E..R The Teensy took 2 days to arrive while the converter took over 2 weeks.
-Logitech Drivers for the wheel need to be installed on the PC/laptop you are using. (This is not mentioned on the wiki site) You can download them here. Just make sure to select the appropriate Wheel and Windows version for your particular application.
-DS4 must be plugged in to the PC/laptop but does not need to be on. As far as I can tell this is required for some sort of authentication process on the PS4. (Also not mentioned on the wiki site)
-Firmware: When you download the firmware from the links in the instructions it will have a bunch of folders that are mostly unnecessary. The folder you need is EMUG29PS4 and its contents. This was initially confusing because the hex file you need to load exists in all the folders. Regardless of the wheel you have, you are always going to be emulating a G29 wheel, hence the folder name.
-GIMX Software: At the end of installing the GIMX software make sure you also install USBDK and CP210x driver.
-Config file for GIMX Software: The first time you run gimx-launcher you will be prompted to download a config file. Select the file for your specific wheel. (DFGT/G25/ G27) For G25 & G27 users there are 2 files to choose from. The only one that worked for me was the LogitechG27_G29_W10.xml. The file without the W10 didn't work and I have no clue what the difference between the 2 version is.
-The connector for the Teensy chip (Mini-B USB) is the same as a DS3 controller from a PS3. NOT a Micro connector like most cell phones use.
-If you are short on USB ports, a non-powered USB Hub has been proven to work. (Bought mine at a Five Below)
-While not required, having a mouse on hand may help when the PC gets confused with all the input devices. Most laptops will turn off the touch pads when other sources are detected even though those sources can’t be used to control the laptop.
-Playing on PS4 with a Logitech Driving Force GT & G27 with FFB GTPlanet forum thread with videos showing the adapter in use.
-GIMX Forum In case you run into any issues. The guy who wrote the software (Matlo) is very responsive and helpful.

As ususal, the instructions for work-arounds like these look daunting and involved but if you take your time and READ READ READ, and did I mention READ SOME MORE, you'll at least avoid some of the confusion I experienced when trying to put this thing together. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! The G27/ PS4/ Project Cars are now getting along marvelously! Once I loaded up the Logitech drivers and plugged the DS4 into the laptop, everything fell right into place.

This adapter works like a charm! Steering is spot on along with all pedal inputs. The wiring is a bit on the convoluted side, but for the price of admission it's a minor inconvenience. Another satisfied customer here!

There are only 3 wires to connect

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't see a clear answer when I skimmed the thread just now. Will this work, or are there plans to add support for G25 wheels working on PS4 with this adapter solution?

Additionally, are there any plans of adding support between other peripherals and consoles? Like xb360 peripherals on xb1, PS3 peripherals on 360, etc? Would be cool if I didn't have to buy a second wheel to play Forza on my 360 :P.

Now i'm thinking about it, should i buy G27 and make an adapter for this? and if so then which parts should i get?

Now i'm thinking about it, should i buy G27 and make an adapter for this? and if so then which parts should i get?

If G27 is cheap enough then by all means go for it.

The teensy 2.0 can be used for other things too, so even as cheap as it is you wouldnt be throwing your money away on the teensy 2.0 if this method ever became irrelavent

If youre not into soldering then go for the
Teensy 2.0 with pins & the cp2102 6 pin converter.
You connect these 2 pieces of hardware together by plugging jumper wires onto the corresponding pins.

In the link below it has links to the ebay auctions for these items. The usb cords in the link below I didnt bother with as I had a spare ps3 controller charge cord lying around and my device was plugging directly into my pc so the usb extension wasnt needed either.

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_USB_adapter_for_dummies

Matlo(author of the software) is easy to approach on his forum and REAL helpful if you run into errors after installation.

G27: around $212
G29: around $450

And based on how much do you need for making an adapter.... I guess I just would go for the g27, it's much cheaper and comes with a shifter unlike the G29...

Thanks for the help :)

Aalthough this GIMX set up is a grreat work around, I've decided it's far too much hassle for me to bother with.

VBR
Aalthough this GIMX set up is a grreat work around, I've decided it's far too much hassle for me to bother with.
Agreed. Its a great work around no doubt. But all the additional wiring put me off.

Just got my parts and tried it out - Whistle snap is right. Tried it on Project Cars and a Driving Force GT and the FFB is stronger than GT6 - this game was made for a steering wheel, the DS4 just doesn't feel right on it. Best $17 I ever spent.

Had a bit of difficulty loading the G29 firmware onto the Leonardo with Adruino.exe. Used the avrdude.exe in the bin directory and it loaded ok. I wasn't expecting too much after being disappointed with the titan one but this it the real deal - thank you gimx guys.

Going to try out driveclub now. Looking forward to GT7 on a DFGT....

<sarcasm mode on>Thanks Logitech</sarcasm mode off>

Here are the parts I used if anyone is interested:

http://www.dx.com/p/81872

http://www.dx.com/p/379652

Hi, i followed your advice and i bought the same boards in dx, i could install the firmware on the leonardo's board, but i made a mistake and loaded the wrong firmware, i put the EMUPS4 - atmega32u4.hex, i have the logitech g27 wheel and i made the test connecting to the ps4 and is working, but work like a ds4 controller not like a logitech g29 wheel. I was searching how to put a new firmware but i can't do it. i followed this steps https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pro-micro--fio-v3-hookup-guide/troubleshooting-and-faq#ts-reset, but no success!.

Do you know how can i put a new firmware into the leonardo board?

Thanks in advice!!

======================================================================================
EDIT: FINALLY I MADE IT!!!!
I tried many test and i got it!!! reading and trying thousands this wiki
http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_USB_adapter#Teensy_boards

In this part has to be very faster.(Less than second)! Try reset the pins on board, splitting RST and GND .

Quickly unplug/replug the atmega32u4 board, or connect RST to GND twice.
The atmega32u4 board should run the bootloader. The Arduino builder tool should find the Arduino Leonardo COM port and flash the firmware.

Last edited:

This adapter works like a charm! Steering is spot on along with all pedal inputs. The wiring is a bit on the convoluted side, but for the price of admission it's a minor inconvenience. Another satisfied customer here! Below are some additional information that I though might be helpful for those who want to give this a try.

Here's an overall pic of what the setup should look like after you're done with the instructions.

PS4_GIMX_zpsnmhgb0vn.jpg

Notes & Links:

-GIMX DIY USB adapter for Dummies This is the basis for the majority of the instructions. I would read through there thoroughly as it gives you a step by step guide on what to buy, where to buy it & how to install the software. Once you fully understand those instructions, supplement them with my notes below.
-USB Serial Converter: Buy from someone in the US or you'll be waiting F..O..R..E..V..E..R The Teensy took 2 days to arrive while the converter took over 2 weeks.
-Logitech Drivers for the wheel need to be installed on the PC/laptop you are using. (This is not mentioned on the wiki site) You can download them here. Just make sure to select the appropriate Wheel and Windows version for your particular application.
-DS4 must be plugged in to the PC/laptop but does not need to be on. As far as I can tell this is required for some sort of authentication process on the PS4. (Also not mentioned on the wiki site)
-Firmware: When you download the firmware from the links in the instructions it will have a bunch of folders that are mostly unnecessary. The folder you need is EMUG29PS4 and its contents. This was initially confusing because the hex file you need to load exists in all the folders. Regardless of the wheel you have, you are always going to be emulating a G29 wheel, hence the folder name.
-GIMX Software: At the end of installing the GIMX software make sure you also install USBDK and CP210x driver.
-Config file for GIMX Software: The first time you run gimx-launcher you will be prompted to download a config file. Select the file for your specific wheel. (DFGT/G25/ G27) For G25 & G27 users there are 2 files to choose from. The only one that worked for me was the LogitechG27_G29_W10.xml. The file without the W10 didn't work and I have no clue what the difference between the 2 version is.
-The connector for the Teensy chip (Mini-B USB) is the same as a DS3 controller from a PS3. NOT a Micro connector like most cell phones use.
-If you are short on USB ports, a non-powered USB Hub has been proven to work. (Bought mine at a Five Below)
-While not required, having a mouse on hand may help when the PC gets confused with all the input devices. Most laptops will turn off the touch pads when other sources are detected even though those sources can’t be used to control the laptop.
-Playing on PS4 with a Logitech Driving Force GT & G27 with FFB GTPlanet forum thread with videos showing the adapter in use.
-GIMX Forum In case you run into any issues. The guy who wrote the software (Matlo) is very responsive and helpful.

As ususal, the instructions for work-arounds like these look daunting and involved but if you take your time and READ READ READ, and did I mention READ SOME MORE, you'll at least avoid some of the confusion I experienced when trying to put this thing together. Good Luck!
So you need 3 usb sockets? im screwed if so as only 2 of 3 work on my laptop.

Btw people there is a Raspi for £5 availble now. I guess i'll have to look into that

I heard about this a few weeks ago but haven't been following it closely.... has anyone got it to work with a Fanatec CSR & CSR Elite pedals yet?

Wiz
I heard about this a few weeks ago but haven't been following it closely.... has anyone got it to work with a Fanatec CSR & CSR Elite pedals yet?

I'm using the GT2 wheel and CSR Elite pedals. You will need to switch to ps3 mode. On the gimx side, use the G25 xml files as base and map all the controls and pedals. I've connected the wheels and pedals seperately with 2usb connections.

I'd like to put in more details but i start work early tomorrow.

I'm using the GT2 wheel and CSR Elite pedals. You will need to switch to ps3 mode. On the gimx side, use the G25 xml files as base and map all the controls and pedals. I've connected the wheels and pedals seperately with 2usb connections.

I'd like to put in more details but i start work early tomorrow.

Does it work with the pedals hooked up to the wheel mate? I only ask as I have a CSR with CSP but I would need to get another USB cable to hook the pedals up separately.

Does it work with the pedals hooked up to the wheel mate? I only ask as I have a CSR with CSP but I would need to get another USB cable to hook the pedals up separately.

I had a problem when the pedals were hooked up to the wheel, the brake was triggering every second or so even when it was not pressed. It worked ok when pedals were connected separately. There might be a problem with my wheel or pedals pcb.

I had a problem when the pedals were hooked up to the wheel, the brake was triggering every second or so even when it was not pressed. It worked ok when pedals were connected separately. There might be a problem with my wheel or pedals pcb.

Ok cheers mate. I'll report here with my findings when I get around to making this, so I'll let you know if my pedals work with the wheel, or if I have to hook them up separately. Hopefully for your sake it's the program at fault, and not your pedals or wheel, but in that case, I'll have to buy a USB cord, so it won't be good news for me lol.

You can seen if the pedals have a problem if you have the fanatec drivers installed on your pc. The driver software has a page to test your pedals and wheel - for mine, the brake pedal was blipping every second or so - faulty electronics somewhere.

The gimx software has nothing to do with it.

Also, with the latest fanatec drivers installed on the pc, I could not switch to ps3 mode. Removing the fanatec driver allowed the wheel/pedals to emulate a logitech g25 (in ps3 mode).

My pedals use a usb cable that looks like a printer cable. Using a longer usb printer cable works for me. If you have one lying around the house, it won't cost anything.

You can seen if the pedals have a problem if you have the fanatec drivers installed on your pc. The driver software has a page to test your pedals and wheel - for mine, the brake pedal was blipping every second or so - faulty electronics somewhere.

The gimx software has nothing to do with it.

Also, with the latest fanatec drivers installed on the pc, I could not switch to ps3 mode. Removing the fanatec driver allowed the wheel/pedals to emulate a logitech g25 (in ps3 mode).

My pedals use a usb cable that looks like a printer cable. Using a longer usb printer cable works for me. If you have one lying around the house, it won't cost anything.

Ah ok, I thought you meant the brake blipping was in game, but yeah, if it's doing that in the testing screen on the PC it's obviously a fault of the wheel or pedals ps2 connection or pcb.

I didn't realise the latest drivers removed the ability to switch into PS3 mode, I have the latest drivers for my CSR, hopefully it hasn't disabled the PS3 mode on mine. I'll have to test it out. Cheers for the head's up mate. 👍

Edit: Just looked it up, and it was firmware 219 that changed the PS3 mode. Didn't get rid of it, just changed how to switch it, but as that firmware only really adds anything to the CSW, owners of the Porsche based wheels are better off with 205. I checked mine and it's still on 205, and then remembered reading on the Fanatec forum that users were recommending sticking to 205 on the Porsche based wheels.

Last edited:
Well wish me luck. I will be trying this this weekend for my g27.

I just ordered a new monitor yesterday to replace my 720p TV then went to play my new Project Cars game. I thought for sure the g27 would be supported but found out it wasn't obviously. So glad I found this hack. Almost didn't want to try it but after reading about it and seeing very detailed instructions decided to order the parts. I hope I can get it to work quickly and do some races on a real screen.

Thanks for this thread

This is an edit to my entire post that was here before.

My original plan was to use the Raspberry PI but ran into issues that were above my knowledge, so I have my electronics guru buddy working on it. It is close to being finished, we will test it out soon and I will post the results on this thread.

We had ordered Teensy's (two) from a different source and they were faulty, so we sent those back and ordered from PJRC and these worked right away.

In the meantime, and using one of the new Teensy units, I went the windows route using an older small Acer laptop. It is working perfectly. It is the same set up as what nmcp posted at top of this page. As he posted a sketch version I have shown pics of the real thing below.

One thing to add to nmcp's post concerning the G27, the farthest left of the four red buttons on your shifter console is the PS button. You have to press that just like on the DS4. This was not spelled out anywhere and caused me a few hours of grief trying to set up my wheel.

IMG_2265.JPG
IMG_2266.JPG
IMG_2267.JPG

Last edited:

PS4_GIMX_zpsnmhgb0vn.jpg

Notes & Links:

Thank you very much for this. Any chance you could do a dummy tutorial for using raspberry pi? Or would anyone be willing to build a working setup with raspberry for compensation?

Long time lurker from GT5 days... Just wanted to thank nmcp1 for the diagram and helpful tips. Got my unit put together and working last night. Being the father of a 5 year old boy (and 2 daughters) I used what I had on hand for my enclosure:

image.jpeg

I love being able to use my DFGT on Project Cars now... Though now I no longer have an excuse for sucking, lol.

And for those not sure if they can do it... It really isn't that hard. If you can connect a few wires and download and install software you can do it. This coming from someone who still gets confused by iTunes iPhone syncing and re-installing Windows.

Long time lurker from GT5 days... Just wanted to thank nmcp1 for the diagram and helpful tips. Got my unit put together and working last night. Being the father of a 5 year old boy (and 2 daughters) I used what I had on hand for my enclosure:

View attachment 511611

I love being able to use my DFGT on Project Cars now... Though now I no longer have an excuse for sucking, lol.

And for those not sure if they can do it... It really isn't that hard. If you can connect a few wires and download and install software you can do it. This coming from someone who still gets confused by iTunes iPhone syncing and re-installing Windows.

Digging the Lego enclosure! Makes me want to break apart some of my Technic sets and build an overly complicated, totally unnecessary enclosure of my own! Awesome!

Finally have the Pi set up done. This one is a Pi2, which is more than whats needed, running Raspbian Jessie and Linux OS. It boots up fast, (everything has to be plugged in and PS4 running before powering up) and all is working. I have noticed a slight difference in steering feedback, when going thru esses for example, as I steer left and then go right, there is a force that seems to hold the wheel from trying to turn and then it just snaps, you still can control the car thru the corner but it doesn't do this running the adapter thru the laptop. I am going to have to do some more testing and go over setups to see if something has changed.
Here's a couple of pics, one to give you an idea of the size of the Pi, the adapter and teensy are in a separate case as we had these to use, but the entire thing can be put into one small box.

IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2315.JPG

Back