Playing on PS4 with a Logitech Driving Force GT & G27 with FFB

• Thread starter edu27
  • 396 comments
i could not get arduino builder to work but in one of the directories is a program called avrdude. that worked for me. you have to check which com port you are using, I cn't remember how I did that sorry.

I tought of trying this, but in my head, this avrdude was to another type of hardware, i'll give a try!!

With the arduino builder running, when i click on the COM port, the message "Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on COMX..." appears but the succefull message don't appear, only "no new port found".

Step by step i'm getting closer..

You probably did this but just in case, when the builder put up the message "Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on COMX..." did you Quickly unplug/replug the atmega32u4 board?

Mine would not find the port unless I did that. Sorry to waste your time if you already tried.

OZ
You probably did this but just in case, when the builder put up the message "Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on COMX..." did you Quickly unplug/replug the atmega32u4 board?

Mine would not find the port unless I did that. Sorry to waste your time if you already tried.

Yes i did, but, what's is the configuration, the USB to uart connected with the atmega all together in the usb with the USB to uart going directly in the USb port or using the atmega with the mini usb cable?

And every help is welcome!!

I believe you have to have the USB to uart going to the usb port on the pc and the three wires connecting the atmega 32u4 board. Have you tried to swap the rx and tx wires yet.

I built mine back in December and I am not very good with this kind of stuff. I was very confused while I was building this, and it took me quite a while but it finally came together.

Keep at it ,you'll get it working.

EDIT: I did just find this http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1636&sid=62351e64ccf7fb52465f500f9dd0f2ff so maybe it will work with the atmega board only.

Last edited:
I tried everything and nothing works.

Maybe it has something to do with my OS(Windows 8), i'lltry to find another computer and try it again from the start.

I tried everything and nothing works.

Maybe it has something to do with my OS(Windows 8), i'lltry to find another computer and try it again from the start.

Look at the gimx wiki and check your connections. Remember that you a using an arduino and not a teensy so the instructions may be slightly different.

Some of the cp2102 have the labels swapped (tx and rx).

The Board Type at the Arduino Builder i choose arduino leonardo, is that right? I tried other and still nothing, it says Pro Micro on the chip... but there's no Pro Micro, only Arduino Micro, Arduino Pro mini(328) and Arduino Pro Mini(168).

EDIT: The 3 LEDs TX, RX and D3 must be on in order to it works? I've trying some wiring options and i'm able to get the 3 on. Still don't flash the atmega driver but... i thinking i made progress.

Last edited:
I'tm tryin go use the avrdude, when the instructions says:

• Move the cursor right after COM7.
  • Open the device manager, and unfold the COM port item.
What device manager it is talking about? The windows one, that o open pressing crtl + alt +del? Or it is the Arduino builder tool?

I didn't use the arvdude, but I think it would be the device manager in the control panel of the pc.

Is raspberry pi more stable now (I red that it had disconnects a while back) ?
GT Sports is getting closer and there is still no ps4 fanatec rim.

Is raspberry pi more stable now (I red that it had disconnects a while back) ?
GT Sports is getting closer and there is still no ps4 fanatec rim.
I have read about the disconnection issues as well, but from my personal experience, I have been able to play for multiple hours without any disconnects. I am utilizing an older RPi B model (700mhz cpu, 256mb ram) running GIMX 5.6.

I think I have one Raspberry PI B left over from my university project.
Are there any teensy alternatives that has pins soldered in ?

I loved robotics classes but my classmates had no patients with me soldering :D (I was extra careful because of my left wrist) so I was mainly a programmer.

I didn't realise just how cheap the Rasberry PI's are. I might sell my G29 & buy one of them, make an adapter for GIMX, & use my Fanatec CSR.

VBR
I didn't realise just how cheap the Rasberry PI's are. I might sell my G29 & buy one of them, make an adapter for GIMX, & use my Fanatec CSR.

My 2 cents:
  1. Keep the G29
  2. Build the Gimx adapter and use a windows or unix pc/laptop. I've heard that you may have performance issues with the pi.
  3. Compare the G29 (direct connection) with the Fanatec /Gimx / pc on ps4.
  4. Compare the G29 with the Fanatec on ps3 both using a direct connection.
  5. You will now be in a position to know which one is the better combination.
  6. Would be very interested in your opinions on the comparisons.
And if the Fanatec / Gimx combination proves to be better for you, sell the G29...

Yes I'm also Interested in the amount of lag.
according to their wiki:

Performance
  • 100 updates/s (bt controller, real sixaxis report rate)
  • up to 250 updates/s (usb adapter)
  • measured MAX latency between event reception and emission: bt controller = lower than 12ms
  • measured AVERAGE latency between event reception and emission: bt controller = about 6ms
Wired mode should be faster.

My 2 cents:
  1. Keep the G29
  2. Build the Gimx adapter and use a windows or unix pc/laptop. I've heard that you may have performance issues with the pi.
  3. Compare the G29 (direct connection) with the Fanatec /Gimx / pc on ps4.
  4. Compare the G29 with the Fanatec on ps3 both using a direct connection.
  5. You will now be in a position to know which one is the better combination.
  6. Would be very interested in your opinions on the comparisons.
And if the Fanatec / Gimx combination proves to be better for you, sell the G29...

Not got a laptop, & my PC is an old desk top that too far away to use. That's what attracted me to the Ras.

VBR
Not got a laptop, & my PC is an old desk top that too far away to use. That's what attracted me to the Ras.

Then the only change would be :

2. Build the Gimx adapter and use a pi.

Good luck.

I haven't experienced any lag or issues with my RPi setup, and I'm using the original B. To me, my G27 feels the same with GIMX on the PS4 as it did with the PS3. One thing I have notice while reading up about using the RPi with GIMX is a lot of people start getting into extra circulars that will inevitably tie up the RPi's already minimal resources. I don't use anything other then GIMX with my RPi and I haven't had any issues. The only thing that I'm not sure about is if the GUI is running when I start start the RPi, which I hope not, but I've been running the image I've been using headless since I downloaded it, so I don't know. I've been taking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

I haven't experienced any lag or issues with my RPi setup, and I'm using the original B. To me, my G27 feels the same with GIMX on the PS4 as it did with the PS3. One thing I have notice while reading up about using the RPi with GIMX is a lot of people start getting into extra circulars that will inevitably tie up the RPi's already minimal resources. I don't use anything other then GIMX with my RPi and I haven't had any issues. The only thing that I'm not sure about is if the GUI is running when I start start the RPi, which I hope not, but I've been running the image I've been using headless since I downloaded it, so I don't know. I've been taking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

So I have been watching this for a little while and decided to build my own setup for my G27. Now I am starting off with a Pi3 so the image provided that does the auto start for Gimx does not work. I went ahead setup the pi and install Gimx 5.7 and tried using the code for the auto start. Now my question is, when your pi starts do you see Gimx running in the background under task manager as a prcocess? cause I am not seeing it. The other question is if the controller or the G27 is not hooked up will gimx not run in the background? I am getting ready to order my teensy but just wanted get the pi ready. thanks

So I have been watching this for a little while and decided to build my own setup for my G27. Now I am starting off with a Pi3 so the image provided that does the auto start for Gimx does not work. I went ahead setup the pi and install Gimx 5.7 and tried using the code for the auto start. Now my question is, when your pi starts do you see Gimx running in the background under task manager as a prcocess? cause I am not seeing it. The other question is if the controller or the G27 is not hooked up will gimx not run in the background? I am getting ready to order my teensy but just wanted get the pi ready. thanks

Just to confirm, you do not have the DIY adapter constructed yet..? Just wanted to make sure. From what I remember from when I used the PC version and had a screen attached, GIMX "doesn't do its thing" unless everything (DIY adapter with PS4 on, steering wheel, and DS4 controller) is/(are) connected properly. Since it's an autostart bash script, I'm assuming that since you don't have all of the required components connected yet that it gets to the line where it tries to execute GIMX which doesn't see everything that it needs to work, and that part of the scrip fails thus canceling the script after a while... or something like that. If I get a chance, I will attempt to connect a screen to my current RPi setup and try it without all of the required components connected and let you know what happens, and compare to everything being properly connected.

Yes that is correct I do not have the DIY adapter yet. That would be great if you can verify that. My Rig is in storage right now or else I would have been able to test it once my adapter came in. We are waiting for our place to be ready and while we were waiting I figure I would work on this project so I can just plug and play without a hassle.

Yes that is correct I do not have the DIY adapter yet. That would be great if you can verify that. My Rig is in storage right now or else I would have been able to test it once my adapter came in. We are waiting for our place to be ready and while we were waiting I figure I would work on this project so I can just plug and play without a hassle.

Here's what I found out. If the GIMX DIY adapter is not present, GIMX does not autostart (to verify what you are experiencing). If the DIY adapter is present, but the PS4 is not on, GIMX will still start and the wheel can be used within the RPi to move the cursor and execute mouse clicks. When the GIMX DIY adapter and PS4 are present everything works as it should.

I made a video of screen captures of the RPi's end during the 3 different scenarios to see how the RPi is affected and to see CPU usage during game-play.

Put my adapter together today and it works perfectly. I've used it with Driveclub and there's no lag, all the FFB effects are there, all button inputs work - I'm well chuffed as it's saved me plus £200

img_0586uzrpw.jpg

It cost me £9 - these are the parts I used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEONARDO-...28356953&tpos=unknow&ttype=price&talgo=origal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-6PIN-CP2102-Module-Adaptor-/111303811891

:cheers: to the creator and testers 👍

Can you please describe here step by step what I must to do to make this adapter fully functional like you? I have the same parts (Leonardo R3 + CP2102 USB-UART). I think it would be very helpful for anothers with this board too.

Work fine GIMX on PS4 DRIVE CLUB !
I bought a PS4 few days ago want play GTsport. Many tryed and error soon disable wheel G27.
I thought best way for stabilization use GIMX.

* use Linux OS Ubuntu etc
* use all USB2.0 port
* manual power on ps4 after all wired

cheap parts from eBAY cost about $6
Arduino Pro Micro
CP2102
27602959626_099c445b1b_b.jpg

sry bad english
27537067552_1eb208323c_b.jpg

Last edited:
I got my hands on a USB ampmeter. The one I picked up can read voltage, amperage, and also keeps a record of accumulated amperage. I am using a Raspberry Pi B with 700mhz and 256mb ram for my GIMX automated setup.

I connected the ampmeter to the PS4's USB port. I read slightly over 5 volts and had amp readings from ~540ma to slightly over 600ma. The accumulated amperage was 55ma after a 5 minute run.

I connected the ampmeter to the power going into the RPi. I read slightly under 5 volts and had amp readings from ~330ma to near 400ma at times. The accumulated amperage was 35ma after a 5 minute run.

I also attempted to get readings from the controller by connected the meter between the controller and RPi, and I also tried to get readings between the PS4 and the GIMX uart end but was unable to get readings in these configurations.

Comparing the two successful runs, it appears that the GIMX DIY adapter, and/or a backfeed into the DS4 controller (I have the DIY adapter and DS4 controller connected through the same hub), is consuming ~200ma. I will keep playing around with the meter to see if I can get readings through other configurations and report back if I find anything else interesting.

Damn, I got everything setup and memory card died.
Do any of you use It with fanatec and PI?

I was getting libusb_get_string_descriptor_ascii errors (Everything was fine on windows)
When I was updating everything then the card corrupted.

Damn, I got everything setup and memory card died.
Do any of you use It with fanatec and PI?

I was getting libusb_get_string_descriptor_ascii errors (Everything was fine on windows)
When I was updating everything then the card corrupted.

That sucks, good luck on the next attempt. I've never used a fanatec wheel with a GIMX setup, but from what I've read putting your fanatec wheel in PS3 mode basically mimics a G27, so in theory it should work when you get your memory card up and running. You would be the first confirmed person with a fanatec wheel I've personally read about to get it working. I've seen a lot of people ask but noone confirm if they tried or got it working, so when you get things up and running, please report back your results.

You would be the first confirmed person with a fanatec wheel I've personally read about to get it working. I've seen a lot of people ask but noone confirm if they tried or got it working, so when you get things up and running, please report back your results.

Have been using a Fanatec GT2 wheel and CSR Elite pedals for the last 6 months - works very well in PCARS and DriveClub. Fingers crossed that it will work with GT Sport.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-gt-g27-with-ffb.336625/page-5#post-11164165

Back