PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
Except they were a long way behind reasonably priced gaming PC kit right from the start this generation. That wasn't the case with previous generations. Yes the PC quickly matched and then surpassed what the console could do but they weren't starting from so far behind as with this generations low tech start point.
Which proves my point. And it's only going to get worse. So upgrades are needed to keep pace or lifetime will be shorter.

Which proves my point. And it's only going to get worse. So upgrades are needed to keep pace or lifetime will be shorter.

What part of consumer confidence in a non changing console don't you get? You will not get multi million sales in a console without it. You are looking at it from a clued in gamer perspective. That is not what sells millions of consoles. Hundreds of thousands yes. Millions no.

What part of consumer confidence in a non changing console don't you get? You will not get multi million sales in a console without it. You are looking at it from a clued in gamer perspective. That is not what sells millions of consoles. Hundreds of thousands yes. Millions no.
You will if it's designed like that from the start as long as it doesn't adversely affect those who don't wish to go down an upgrade path. The gaming landscape is changing and I can see this becoming a reality for future generations.

You will if it's designed like that from the start as long as it doesn't adversely affect those who don't wish to go down an upgrade path. The gaming landscape is changing and I can see this becoming a reality for future generations.

There won't be future generations if that happens. The ONLY direction gaming is going at the moment is mobile.

Seen the streamlining of both of the big console companies coming a mile off. It is so obvious where they are going in terms of strategy and it also makes a lot of sense to me from every stand point. I also understand that some people have worries over compatibility but that is a 100% non issue over 2-3 iterations of the same architecture and the benefits for these companies and customers would far outweigh the drawbacks.

Whether it turns out to be true and we see a better spec PS4 is irrelevant in the bigger picture, no matter what happens in between we are going to get the same architecture for PS5 with true backward compatibility and cross generation multiplayer. A slightly different strategy for MS where the hardware will be a closer match to PC hardware than it is currently but a very similar business model from there on in.

So basically what I am saying is, whether it is called PS4.5, PS4k (Copyright of @FT-1) or PS5 it will basically be an upgraded PS4 and clear cut console generations will be blurred. The messaging is key to going forward for both companies and could be easily ****** up but the era of exotic hardware changes is dead and good riddance to it, costs too much money and time for everybody involved.

Another thing about the PS4K, not everyone has the money to spend on a 4k TV either, which is going to add even more money on top of a more expensive console.

Yes, let's just keep focusing 100% of all the effort, time and money on making the already superb graphics even better. Why waste effort on making games that have actual dynamic AI, an actual art direction or good and innovative gameplay and stories, when we can just keep pushing the graphics? As per usual, graphics is all that matters. Who gives a damn that the amount of power needed seemingly increases ten fold for every tiny noticeable increase in graphics. Who cares that the graphics are already great?

No, the baffoons dictate the direction of the gaming industry, and all they care about, are the numbers. 4K resolution is four times higher, so clearly the graphics are four times better, and by extension, the game is four times better. Who cares that very few people even have 4K monitors/TV's, and even fewer have them at sizes where the extra resolution is truely noticeable when viewing moving pictures.

Regardless of whether we're talking about an upgrade to an existing console, or an entirely new one, the impact will be the same. Games will be designed for the new hardware, and then poorly ported and optimized for the old ones. And all so the baffoons who blindly buy into the numbers game can feel good. Consoles as they are now, are great because they're relatively cheap and you know you won't have to shell out more cash in the near future in order to keep it relevant.

The last major upgrade I did to my PC cost me twice of what my PS4 did, and that didn't even include a graphics card. Now, I have no doubt that someone who's better informed and knows how to install everything himself, could probably shave one third off of that price, but that still leaves you with a more expensive option, that needs to be upgraded again in 3-5 years.

This kind of BS is not needed in console gaming. especially not when the only thing gained is more fancy numbers that few people are even able to really benefit from.

End of console gaming imminent then.

Some people just don't get the concept of mass market appeal of every console playing every game on that system exactly the same as every other version of that same console.

In my view, the only reason PS4 and xboxone are PC chipset based is because it was low risk in case the games market in the West was heading the same way as in the East.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with upgrading.

I find this viewpoint to be laughably overblown, and frankly it comes across as being afraid of change more than anything else.

I understand the mass market appeal of consoles. But it's not in the fact that every version of the same console plays the games identically. It's in the fact that every version of the same console plays the games well, and does it easily and reliably. And nothing about a hypothetical PS4.5 would change that.

People on regular PS4s would get a solid ~720p-1080p experience optimized for that platform, and people on the 4.5 would be able to put that exact same disc into their system and get an enhanced experience optimized for that hardware... 2K-4K, higher framerates, maybe a few extra visual enhancements. What exactly is the problem with that?

Sure, maybe a few bad developers who care only about $$$ might half-ass their games' PS4.0 support which'll result in a crappy experience, but the problem wouldn't be the PS4K in that situation, it'd be the problem of the game and its developer. You know the solution? It's not to just not have a PS4K, since these kinds of devs already do this crap with their PS4 games without there even being a PS4K yet. The real solution is to simply not support those kinds of developers by *gasp!* not buying their garbage.

Yes, let's just keep focusing 100% of all the effort, time and money on making the already superb graphics even better. Why waste effort on making games that have actual dynamic AI, an actual art direction or good and innovative gameplay and stories, when we can just keep pushing the graphics? As per usual, graphics is all that matters. Who gives a damn that the amount of power needed seemingly increases ten fold for every tiny noticeable increase in graphics. Who cares that the graphics are already great?

No, the baffoons dictate the direction of the gaming industry, and all they care about, are the numbers. 4K resolution is four times higher, so clearly the graphics are four times better, and by extension, the game is four times better. Who cares that very few people even have 4K monitors/TV's, and even fewer have them at sizes where the extra resolution is truely noticeable when viewing moving pictures.

Regardless of whether we're talking about an upgrade to an existing console, or an entirely new one, the impact will be the same. Games will be designed for the new hardware, and then poorly ported and optimized for the old ones. And all so the baffoons who blindly buy into the numbers game can feel good. Consoles as they are now, are great because they're relatively cheap and you know you won't have to shell out more cash in the near future in order to keep it relevant.

The last major upgrade I did to my PC cost me twice of what my PS4 did, and that didn't even include a graphics card. Now, I have no doubt that someone who's better informed and knows how to install everything himself, could probably shave one third off of that price, but that still leaves you with a more expensive option, that needs to be upgraded again in 3-5 years.

This kind of BS is not needed in console gaming. especially not when the only thing gained is more fancy numbers that few people are even able to really benefit from.

I already addressed the point regarding poorly optimized PS4.0 "ports" above in my response to Tired Tyres... although I must add that since it'd be the same architecture, it wouldn't really be a port. For example, a PC game doesn't have a regular high-end version and then a low-end version ported for less capable PCs... it's just one version of the game, running at different settings. That'd basically be what we'd be dealing with in a PS4.0/PS4.5 situation except, as always with consoles, the developers will lock in the most ideal graphical settings for the fixed hardware instead of exposing the options to the end user.

But in general, you seem to be conflating the idea of the hardware makers and the game developers into this nebulous glob of game industry buffoons... pushing the technical boundaries has been with the industry since the beginning. That's just what the hardware makers do. They aren't involved in programming the AI for the games that are released for their console, they don't dictate the art direction or the gameplay and stories. They just do the hardware.

Likewise, It's completely up to the game developers (not the console makers) how they choose to utilize a system's power. Most will play it safe with rehashes of familiar genres and IPs, some will break new ground. That's also how it's always been... this isn't just suddenly going to be a new thing just because of a hypothetical PS4K.

Last edited:
News flash for you @Lain

Many developers, and even more publishers, are baffoons who release games too early and without proper optimization. Adding another set of specs to optimize for, only makes it harder and more time consuming for the devs to achieve their goals, and as a result, the lower set of specs will suffer. PC gaming is a great example of how to get the absolute minimum out of your hardware. Consoles, as they are now, are the opposite. Less wasteful.

The big shots are the ones determining the direction of the game, and where to allocate ressources. If the baseline specifications of consoles, which as far as I'm aware are the biggest source of income for triple A developers, goes up, then those big shots will deem it necessary to put more ressources into the game looking good. And as such, we continue the trend of focusing on graphics over anything else. And that wouldn't bother me if we hadn't already achieved close to photo realism in graphics. But when graphics are as good as they are now, I frankly find it idiotic to continue to pretty much neglect all other aspects of what makes a game great.

Furthermore, the idea that "regular" PS4 games would continue to be well optimized it hopelessly naive in my opinion. If anything, the last many years should show you just how horribly wrong things can go when developers get caught up in achieving graphical goals. And publishers have shown time and time again that they have no problem with releasing poorly optimized and outright broken games.

From what I've seen, Nintendo releasing a more powerful version of the 3DS hasn't negatively affected how the original version runs games. I don't see how a more powerful PS4 will be any different.
I still don't think it's a good idea, though.

News flash for you @Lain

Many developers, and even more publishers, are baffoons who release games too early and without proper optimization. Adding another set of specs to optimize for, only makes it harder and more time consuming for the devs to achieve their goals, and as a result, the lower set of specs will suffer. PC gaming is a great example of how to get the absolute minimum out of your hardware. Consoles, as they are now, are the opposite. Less wasteful.

The big shots are the ones determining the direction of the game, and where to allocate ressources. If the baseline specifications of consoles, which as far as I'm aware are the biggest source of income for triple A developers, goes up, then those big shots will deem it necessary to put more ressources into the game looking good. And as such, we continue the trend of focusing on graphics over anything else. And that wouldn't bother me if we hadn't already achieved close to photo realism in graphics. But when graphics are as good as they are now, I frankly find it idiotic to continue to pretty much neglect all other aspects of what makes a game great.

Furthermore, the idea that "regular" PS4 games would continue to be well optimized it hopelessly naive in my opinion. If anything, the last many years should show you just how horribly wrong things can go when developers get caught up in achieving graphical goals. And publishers have shown time and time again that they have no problem with releasing poorly optimized and outright broken games.

Having a whopping two different set of specs to optimize for? Oh my gosh it might as well be PC with all its tens of thousand possible configurations! How will those developers ever cope?!

Look, I get what you're saying in that regard. PC as a platform is more wasteful, because more powerful hardware means developers can be lazy and release unoptimized games which really only run smoothly on top-tier hardware. But developing for a mere two different hardware specs is not going to put significant strain on game developers, nor is it going to put them in a position where they can afford to be wasteful.

As far as big shots calling the shots, yes that is true and games that focus too much on graphics will continue to do just that. That's how it's always been, that's how it's always going to be. Your opinion that graphics have reached a point where they're good enough is just that: Your opinion. And I mostly agree, in the sense that we're at a point where any game could be realized beautifully. But I disagree in the sense that I love graphics, and even though they're damn fine today, they could always be even better.

If you don't care about the latest and greatest graphics, that's your business. Don't upgrade to the new system that just gives you better graphics.

As for this notion games will be unoptimized messes on the PS4.0... Some will (and just don't buy those games), but most won't. Why? Because the only difference will be the game running at different settings... higher res textures, shadows, etc. The only difference in some games might be that it runs at 4K on the PS4K but nothing else changes. It won't take the developer all that much effort to figure out resolutions that run well on the PS4.0 and which run well on the 4.5/4K.

Like TwinTurbo LM said, it's basically the difference between the 3DS and the New 3DS, with the higher resolutions just being free benefits games get by running on the PS4K just like 3DS games get better 3D for free on the new 3DS due to it having hardware capabilities the original didn't. Except unlike the woefully underpowered original 3DS, the PS4.0 actually has enough power where it's very unlikely that they'll have to make a game PS4K-only like the small number of New 3DS-only games (which is one, by the way)

Also, in all honesty, because graphics are already so good... most developers will probably develop for the PS4.0 as their primary target, and then simply implement some easy enhancements for the PS4.5 (resolution, framerate, etc).

Last edited:
After looking up a video comparison, I think there might be some slight exaggeration there regarding how bad the regular 3DS version. Yes it looks sub-30 FPS, but not drastically so. Most casual players probably wouldn't be able to tell unless they saw it side-by-side.

And even though it's not ideal, it's simply a reality because there isn't a whole lot you can tone down graphically when the graphics are already so basic. The resolution is already so low you can't really scale it back too much, there isn't much in the way of complex shadows or lighting to reduce, etc.

There will be plenty of easy stuff they could scale back on the PS4.0 to get it running smoothly or, more realistically, scale up on the PS4.5 to use its extra horsepower.

So today I had to download two updates. One for Project CARS and one for Need For Speed 2015. Although I have gotten the update for Need For Speed 2015 downloading, not for Project CARS. This is due to the god forsaken error code CE-37704-1.

I can't stand this error anymore. I'm lucky that I was able to reinstall Project CARS after having to delete it just to help install the update for Need For Speed. I've rebuilt the database which only took like 2-3 minutes. Still no luck. Usually that would have solved the issue according to the PlayStation community.

Although while I had believed that my HDD was dying. After rebuilding the database, that gave me a change in thought. If my Hard Drive was really dying, wouldn't the process on rebuilding it have taken longer than 2 to 3 minutes lasting for a hour or so? There were reports of people's PS4s being affected by this error code after installing the update Sony released last August and I've had my PS4 since last year's Valentines Day. So I believe that could have been the cause to my problem but I probably gotten it much later.

I still can't believe this issue has gotten worse. Unable to download a 2GB update and having to free up over 100GB worth of storage space just to download the update is just outright ugly. Can't wait to get my gaming PC in May or April. After I get my PC, I'm getting a 2TB HDD and some USB Flashdrives and format them. If theres any technical experts out there that could help me answer my question, that would be greatly appreciated.

Question about infamous second son

My first time playing a infamous game and i'm up to the part just right after you face Fetch and get the new Neon powers. But that's my question are you stuck with only the Neon powers now or do you get your fire powers back? cause i like those more

Please no spoilers just a Yes or No thanks

Question about infamous second son

My first time playing a infamous game and i'm up to the part just right after you face Fetch and get the new Neon powers. But that's my question are you stuck with only the Neon powers now or do you get your fire powers back? cause i like those more

Please no spoilers just a Yes or No thanks
Yes, you get them back. You just need to find a smoke source in order to use your old powers again. Same applies for any new powers you get.

Quick question, or fact check, about region-lock regarding PSN cards.

Currency, is country-locked, whereas PSN Plus cards are region locked, correct?

So if my account is Canadian, I can buy an American PSN Plus card, but NOT an American currency card ($10, $20, $50, $75)

Has anyone tried the remote play on PC / Mac yet?

It works surprisingly well.

image.jpeg

Ok so I been taking a look at PlayStation now lately and I see some really great ps3 games I always thought about buying but just didn't bother to. I got a few question's about it.

OK so my ps3 doesn't work anymore but I still have all my data on there. My question is that say for example, I download grid 2 (a game that i own on ps3)from PS now. Will my data transfer over?

Also say for example I try out PS now and I don't like it after 3 months. How do deactivate the PS now subscription?

Back