PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
I think they did the smart thing actually. Microsoft have killed the Xbox by making all games coming to Windows10 and announcing Xbone slim and Scorpio in the same event. Why get a Xbone when you can get 4times more powerful gfx chip in Scorpio next year. That was another dumbest move they did.
Actually, what they are doing is likely getting more sales than what they would have done if they had just released it on consoles. I wonder how much more income would be coming to those that purchase it on PC as well? We'll have to wait and see. What is killing consoles this year is the actual inclusion of these two new powerful consoles, not just from one brand, but from both, I think. However, if the rules set in place are to be followed, we can see minimal backlash hopefully.

PS4 Neo will come this year with same 4K support like the Xbone slim I think and will definitely get a price drop when Scorpio is released. Microsoft I think will stop the support for Xbone if they want to take advantage of Scorpio. Sony will support PS4 and PS4 Neo which is the right thing to do. There is time for PS5 when the technology is available to get both 4K and 60fps at affordable price. Most people still use 1080P TV
So you think a console will have a price drop a year into it's life? That's highly optimistic, as you'll also have to take into account if it actually releases this year. It makes no sense that you think that Xbox will stop support on the base Xbox in order to support the Scorpio, but you don't think the same for PS4. Howd you even come to that conclusion?

I think they did the smart thing actually. Microsoft have killed the Xbox by making all games coming to Windows10 and announcing Xbone slim and Scorpio in the same event. Why get a Xbone when you can get 4times more powerful gfx chip in Scorpio next year. That was another dumbest move they did.

For possibly the 100th time, pushing their big games to launch on both XB1 and PC isn't going to put a huge dent in the XB1's sales. The PC market is a niche one for gaming.

PS4 Neo will come this year with same 4K support like the Xbone slim I think and will definitely get a price drop when Scorpio is released.

A guess.

Microsoft I think will stop the support for Xbone if they want to take advantage of Scorpio. Sony will support PS4 and PS4 Neo which is the right thing to do.

Ah, so the company you favour will do "the right thing", but the other company won't do the exact same thing – support two systems simultaneously – despite them confirming they would on the show floor?

:rolleyes:

If it is different architecture (no esram, more inline with PC) I can see 3rd parties dropping the Xbox 1.0 as soon as the numbers add up. I don't see MS dropping support though, it's all about the MAU's.

Edit: Wait, what thread is this?

According to leaked docs PS4Neo is coming in October or November at very affordable price too. It could be 400$ for a 4.2teraflop gfx chip with 20-25% boost in cpu, ram. Scorpio next holiday will have 6teraflop gfx chip and they will do well to get it for 500$ with those specs. The only option for Sony is to undercut with price. I cannot see them releasing PS5 before 2019. PS4 and PS4.5 are here to stay and will be supported. Also from the leaked docs the devs are given clear instruction that games should work on both with PS4.5 basically get 4K support and performance boost for VR.

Forza5 was launch title for Xbone. There is a good chance Forza7 will be launch title for Scorpio only to take full advantage of the gfx chip. Unless they do the same thing like Sony which I doubt because Scorpio is basically next gen console with almost 5times gpu boost. Just making 4K resolution will be a waste if the game is not made ground up for the new console. If they do, I doubt how many will buy Scorpio as well. A high end gpu can run Forza apex in 4K anyways and other games too with gfx chip getting faster and faster on PC and their games coming to Windows10. Getting Xbone from now on is plain stupid IMHO when Scorpio is backward compatible. Microsoft is totally confused what to do. The only logic I can think now is they will kill the Xbone like they did with original Xbox and are making a fresh start with Scorpio and hope it clicks.

According to leaked docs PS4Neo is coming in October or November at very affordable price too. It could be 400$ for a 4.2teraflop gfx chip with 20-25% boost in cpu, ram. Scorpio next holiday will have 6teraflop gfx chip and they will do well to get it for 500$ with those specs. The only option for Sony is to undercut with price. I cannot see them releasing PS5 before 2019. PS4 and PS4.5 are here to stay and will be supported. Also from the leaked docs the devs are given clear instruction that games should work on both with PS4.5 basically get 4K support and performance boost for VR.
If it was that close to release, then they would have obviously showed it at E3. If the release date would have been Q4 of this year, then you would bet your ass that they would have shown it at E3, because the exposure from that alone would have been the most optimal time. Either way, so your confirmation on this is a leak, of non-confirmed information?

Forza5 was launch title for Xbone. There is a good chance Forza7 will be launch title for Scorpio only to take full advantage of the gfx chip. Unless they do the same thing like Sony which I doubt because Scorpio is basically next gen console with almost 5times gpu boost.
A chance? Possibly, but how does that mean that they'll stop supporting games for the base Xbox, when the same game will be able to be ran on both new and old console.

Just making 4K resolution will be a waste if the game is not made ground up for the new console.
So if thats what you think, it's weird that you don't think the Neo is a waste.

Getting Xbone from now on is plain stupid IMHO when Scorpio is backward compatible.
The Current Xbox is backwards compatible.

Microsoft is totally confused what to do
They are? Elaborate please.

I have already explained. Scorpio is next gen console. Xbone will hold it back if the games are not made from the ground up. As far as PS4Neo is concerned. It's target audience is PSVR customers. It will get 4K upscalling too but I do not see much change in gfx. It is to get more performance rather than gfx. Anyways time will tell if I am right or wrong ;)

I have already explained. Scorpio is next gen console.
You have, and everything you've explained and the reasons you've used don't really add up other than the obvious bias. Either way, the only one saying its a next gen you is quite literally just you. It's running the same line that Neo is running.

Xbone will hold it back if the games are not made from the ground up
And so will the PS4 Neo, if that's your logic

As far as PS4Neo is concerned. It's target audience is PSVR customers.
It can also potentially be a base target for future developers for its superior specs, just like the Xbox, it has a potential for backlash if thats the case.

It will get 4K upscalling too but I do not see much change in gfx.
That's because you haven't seen anything yet. Literally.

The Guardian
PlayStation boss 'surprised' by Xbox Scorpio announcement

Andrew House says PlayStation 4 Neo console isn’t ready to show off yet and Sony will wait until there is enough content to illustrate its benefits

Sony will not show the updated PlayStation 4 Neo console until there is enough content available to illustrate the benefits of the machine, PlayStation boss Andrew House has stated.

Speaking at the E3 video games conference in Los Angeles, the president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment also expressed surprise that Microsoft had announced its Project Scorpio hardware over a year before launch.

“The point of confirming the existence of PlayStation 4 Neo and the bare bones of the plan last week was about not disappointing the fan base who would obviously come to E3 with high expectations of all kinds of announcements,” he said. “And from past experience, the worst thing you can do is disappoint and pull the rug away from people. That’s why we went out last week and said, yes, it does exist but don’t expect to see it at E3. I think it was the right thing to do.”

It’s been known for a while that both Sony and Microsoft were considering updating their current generation consoles in the middle of the traditional lifecycle of seven to eight years. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were launched in 2013, a little early to take in the arrival of 4K televisions, as well as innovations like virtual reality.

Therefore, rumours started a year ago that we’d see interim updates of the machines, complete with more powerful graphics processing capabilities – In early June, House confirmed the existence of an updated PlayStation 4 Neo console which will offer greater power for 4K-compatible games and advanced virtual experiences via the forthcoming PlayStation VR headset, but stated that it wouldn’t be at E3.

Asked about the decision, he said: “In terms of the right time to talk about Neo, just like every other hardware launch, VR being a good example, it’s when you’ve got a full range of experiences that you can showcase to say this is why this product’s great and that’s why we’re offering it. And that time is not right now.”

I get the impression that even Sony now feel they dropped the ball. They made the wrong decision to not show it at E3 and let the fan base down because it's supposed to drop before the Scorpio. Showing something is better than showing nothing at all! One little trailer would have done the trick!

I don't think Sony has dropped the ball. They are in the catbird seat. Microsoft however, may have... although I hope not.

Personally I don't really understand Microsoft's strategy.

- Console not performing as expected due to various poor decisions. Okay.
- Slim version coming to make it cheaper to manufacture and ship. Took long enough, but okay.
- Slim version not really cheaper for the consumer than the old model. Strange decision?
- Console not really getting any more exclusives. First console ever to not have meaningful exclusives. Seriously?
- Almost immediately after announcing a new model, another new, more powerful (and more expensive at launch) is announced. Also, not coming until late next year and not having exclusives again. Seriously?

Do Microsoft really want to kill the current system (or the Xbox platform) so bad? Sales will suck until the slim version is released, and shortly after it launches, people will start waiting for the new system (or maybe not if the hype's low), at least until they see the price. How much money are they burning at the moment?

If Sony is clever, if Microsoft starts getting some market share back they'll cut PS4's price. And when that's not enough, they'll release (a likely improved upon) Neo to keep Microsoft at bay and give no quarter. By showing their hand so early, Sony can react accordingly.

Last edited:
Regarding the 4K on 1080p thing I have a mid range 50" Plasma and 4K content really does look noticeably better even if you don't go looking for it, especially the colour. I guess on smaller sets or maybe LCD you might not see as big a difference.

Unless you sit extremely close to that 50 inch TV, and I'm talking less than 1.5 meters, the resolution doesn't mean anything. Your eyes can't pick up individual pixels at 1080P on that size at above 1.5 meters, in fact, even 1.5 meters is being very generous and assumes you have the eyes of an eagle. The resolution gives you no advantage what so ever, nor is it the limiting factor in graphics. However, seeing as big numbers sound more impressive, you'll often see developers talking about their games running at 4K. The average Joe isn't going to know that it doesn't matter, but it sure sounds impressive.

HDR, and colur in general, is the one area where 4K can be brilliant, but it's still new, and not all TV's are created equal. Thus many TV's are cited as offering HDR, and they do, but it's awful. So for now, you're still going to have to spend big money to get a genuinely good 4K TV, and preferably, you'd get a massive one at 70-80 inches (or a projector, but they're even more expensive), so that the resolution upgrade will actually matter.

Last but not least, dispite what some developers are claiming, 4K is not a particular big step for graphics in games, yet it requires a massive increase in performance. Time and effort that could've been spent on creating better, more realistic animations and art. But of course those things don't sound as impressive as 4 times higher resolution...

I get the impression that even Sony now feel they dropped the ball. They made the wrong decision to not show it at E3 and let the fan base down because it's supposed to drop before the Scorpio. Showing something is better than showing nothing at all! One little trailer would have done the trick!
Really? And kill sales of PS4 now? The only thing Microsoft did in revealing Scorpio is confirm that you'd be stupid to waste money on an Xbox1 now.

Really? And kill sales of PS4 now? The only thing Microsoft did in revealing Scorpio is confirm that you'd be stupid to waste money on an Xbox1 now.

Agreed. The upgraded consoles make the old ones pointless, unless they're as expensive as a 4K capable machine usually is, in which case the upgraded consoles become pointless.

I am just going to throw this here for now.
If "neo" was to come out and you wanted the whole experience.
Would have to get a TV that runs 4K, (Which is on the cheapest side 284)
Then to add the neo (I am going to guess around 400)
Then the VR (Another 400)
That's over 1K$ for the full experience.
To me that's a lot of money for something to run extremely well at UHD for something you might play for 2 hours or so if you can handle the VR.

I'm wondering if the PlayStation VR means you don't even need a TV in the first place. No 4K of course but still...

Actually I wondering about this, surely the OS will be viewable in the VR headset right?

I'm not entirely sure, but the extra processing box splits the signal to the headset and the TV, can you not connect it to the TV? not sure but I doubt it.

I'm not entirely sure, but the extra processing box splits the signal to the headset and the TV, can you not connect it to the TV? not sure but I doubt it.

I thought the spilt was purely so that other people could watch what you were seeing because Sony didn't want VR to be a solitary experience or something like that. I'm pretty sure that extra cable is just a video out.

I thought the spilt was purely so that other people could watch what you were seeing because Sony didn't want VR to be a solitary experience or something like that. I'm pretty sure that extra cable is just a video out.

That's it's main function yes, I think in theory it could work.

You have, and everything you've explained and the reasons you've used don't really add up other than the obvious bias. Either way, the only one saying its a next gen you is quite literally just you. It's running the same line that Neo is running.

And so will the PS4 Neo, if that's your logic

It can also potentially be a base target for future developers for its superior specs, just like the Xbox, it has a potential for backlash if thats the case.

That's because you haven't seen anything yet. Literally.

No idea what you are talking about. To me Microsoft did the wrong thing. I am not the only one who think that:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ssages-at-e3-arent-pretty-for-xbox-one-owners

As for Sony goes. They did a fantastic job. I do not think PSVR will sell and neither PS4 Neo. PS4 is the main console and I think they know it as well. It will get supported for many years to come. My guess is PS5 will not release before 2019 now that PS4 Neo is coming out.

PS+ Games for July have been revealed

PS4:
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell
Furi

PS3:
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Fat Princess

PS Vita:
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Prince of Persia: Revelation

PS+ Games for July have been revealed

PS4:
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell
Furi

PS3:
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Fat Princess

PS Vita:
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Prince of Persia: Revelation

Everybody go play Call of Juarez: BiB, my favourite game of the last gen and awesome if you like all surfer the types of western guns represented.

Can somebody help me on what PS4 Console i should get? I want a 1TB edition but i`ve been told that it`s got the old hardware which is slow and not as good as the new hardware or something. Could somebody recommend which console i should get please?

Can somebody help me on what PS4 Console i should get? I want a 1TB edition but i`ve been told that it`s got the old hardware which is slow and not as good as the new hardware or something. Could somebody recommend which console i should get please?
Right now there isn't a difference between the editions out there. If you have more money and a bit of patience you can wait 'till the end of this year and get the Neo.

People said MS were stupid to release a slim XB1....

"Who's going to buy it with the Scorpio coming?" they said....

Well Sony must also be stupid because it's very likely we are going to see a Slim PS4 with a UHD Blu Ray drive landing soon.

I always said the One S was a brilliant move because it was a gateway drug to the Scorpio by being a cheap way to secure brand loyalty from those that haven't chosen a side and lock them into the next generation before it even arrives. It also is a £250 UHD player when standalone players cost £400+ making it a bargain.

Sony also see the benefit of doing this and will definitely need a response to the One S before the Neo drops.

Does anyone have any tips on speeding up downloads on the PS4? I've been downloading the 2GB patch for Lego Star Wars for nearly 3 hours now. I know it's not my connection because larger files download significantly faster on my PC and XB1. There's also nothing else downloading on my network right now and the only thing I'm doing is surfing the Internet.

I did try that and it sped it up a tad, but not very much. I know the PS3 had this same issue too and it was pretty annoying. I did also change the MTU settings like a few other forums suggested but I didn't notice to much of a difference either.

Latest Posts

Back