PlayStation 5 Rumors Latest: Console Reveal Within the Next Six Weeks

Is that correct that only 100 PS4 games are back compatible atm ? I wonder if it will be similar on the Xbox ? I assumed both libraries would be completely available from day one.

No, it doesn't. It says that Sony has tested the top 100 games (by play time) and almost all work. It doesn't say that only 100 games will be available (among other things, "almost all work" means that some don't).

Hmmm. Perhaps I took it the wrong way then. Fair enough :)

I think people really underestimate the impact of having an SSD that is twice as fast as the Series X (5.5 vs 2.5).

I/O is always king in software and if you can read twice as fast as somebody else, the 10% difference in CPU won't even matter.

I work in software architecture and the reason mainframes are still king in mega companies is because of the I/O capabilities of the mainframe even though the cloud as much more CPU available.

Being able to able to read that much data in that short of time is HUGE.

Video of Series X showing a side by side comparison of State fo Decay loading

I would bet my house that the PS5 would leave Series X in the dust with that.

Remember that Spiderman comparison between PS4 Pro and PS5? ()

...year 2020 is the year of discussing Teraflops I guess! I wonder who even knew what a Teraflop was last year?

...Concerning raw power it all comes down to who can make better use of it - and it ends up to development quality and optimization. That's why there are amazing games out there that look awesome and play at constant 60fps and others on the same hardware that don't look as good nor have good framerates...

...And for the ones that read between the lines, the developer is what makes the difference - either they develop in a way to tweak and make the most out of what they have or not. There are strong developer teams in both systems (eg Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Polyphony etc for Sony and Microsoft for Xbox)

It doesn't matter which console is more powerful... Can you play GT on Xbox? No. Can you play Forza Horizon on PS? No. Take your pick then.. or take both if you can afford it!

Although prices have not been announced yet, since they are aiming at plain consumers, they can't be more than 500-600euros. It amazes me that currently with this amount of money you can barely get a PC GPU equivalent to perform as these systems, and they both come with all these great additional features. I am very excited! As I said in another post, I still enjoy playing at 1080p, because in the end higher resolution is just better anti-aliasing, and it's graphics quality independent! Also 60fps are more than enough - companies need to create additional needs to consumers to justify new tech.

I am more worried if the PS5 will be compatible with my PS4-compatible Fanatec equipment more than anything else!

Hmmm. Perhaps I took it the wrong way then. Fair enough :)
Think of it like they introduced Boost Mode on PS4 Pro.

They’ve tested the top 100 games (successfully) so far. That likely means the other 4000 PS4 titles will also work. But thry can’t confirm that until each title is tested. Either by Sony themselves or users trying it out themselves.

Think of it like they introduced Boost Mode on PS4 Pro.

They’ve tested the top 100 games (successfully) so far. That likely means the other 4000 PS4 titles will also work. But thry can’t confirm that until each title is tested. Either by Sony themselves or users trying it out themselves.
That's a good example, I've never had any issue at all with boost mode, and their wording back then was very similar to what they are saying now about BC.

Just 3 words:

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!...

Not for the console itself, it´s more like the Sony marketing around PS5 release.
A big fail how Sony works, a lot of secretism, not proper information, boring presentations compared to Microsoft.

The worst way to begin the launch road. I hope for better things will be come from Play Station next months.

Last edited:
What makes me worry a little too is the possibly more specialized design, especially audio, means it will be taken advantage of if the devs put alot of effort into it. Where as the series x could just run more standard coding with a little more grunt.

What makes me worry a little too is the possibly more specialized design, especially audio, means it will be taken advantage of if the devs put alot of effort into it. Where as the series x could just run more standard coding with a little more grunt.
I'm expecting the 3d audio to be easily accessible by an SDK. Then developers need to only say "play this sound at that position" and it just works. Sony has a specialized team for this kind of stuff (ICE team)

Sony don't seem bothered at all, like there gonna win anyway.
Lower cost, PS4 userbase, backwards compatible and first party game devs equals win in any language.

I knew it wasn't going to be a match for the 12TF xbox number straight away in the stream. If it was a match or better it would have been the first thing he said so as to put that argument to bed. Instead he became the ultimate troll by showing images of PS1, PS2 and PS3.

Xbox has a 20% TF advantage, which it huge but AMD have been saying that TF is not an accurate indication of performance since their reintroduction to GPU competition with NVIDIA.

If Xbox 12TF is an NVIDIA measurement then it is close, if it is AMD then it's a big difference. It will cost quite a lot more and there is no reason to buy one - just get a gaming PC. You get all of Microsoft's games, but if it does offer 2080TI performance for a fraction of the price....

Last edited:
I'm expecting the 3d audio to be easily accessible by an SDK. Then developers need to only say "play this sound at that position" and it just works. Sony has a specialized team for this kind of stuff (ICE team)
Yeah i guess so, but the way he talked of their 3d audio design he did imply dev coding is in its infancy with this. And that it's still up in the air what they will be able to do with it.

He even said the processing speed of this processor could help out the gpu if unused.

But he did say the RT can be used for positioning of 3d audio too. So it could be automated to a point maybe.
Not clear on the RT role versus their 3d audio design system. I mean i get that RT can be used to calculate how sound propagates in the 3d game environment but is it part of their audio system or that's separate and can work in conjunction.

The ssd speed might also be used mostly by exclusives, and variable clocks was hinted to be something the devs need consider i think.

Last edited:
Instead he became the ultimate troll by showing images of PS1, PS2 and PS3.

That's A Tier trolling. S Tier trolling would be announcing the release of (a revamped) PS1 Classic, PS2 Classic and PS3 Classic consoles for those eagerly craving BC beyond 2 generations. What's more, they will only support a selection of the top 100 games on each platform!

Yours for $199, $299 and $399 respectively. :cool:

Xbox has a 20% TF advantage, which it huge but AMD have been saying that TF is not an accurate indication of performance since their reintroduction to GPU competition with NVIDIA.
both GPUs utilize RDNA2 architecture, so TF comparison is OK. Its not correct to compare TF figures of different architectures, because they utilize raw power differently.

On the other hand, Xbox could maintain advertised clocks all the time, while PS5, most likely, cant. Real clocks, IMO, would be closer to 2000 and TF would be closer to 9.

I keep reading about Teraflops does it really means anything? It seems it will be the real 4k vs checkerboard rendering of this generation. At the end of the day games will be the selling point of these hardware. Average consumers don't care that much about technicalities.

I keep reading about Teraflops does it really means anything? It seems it will be the real 4k vs checkerboard rendering of this generation. At the end of the day games will be the selling point of these hardware. Average consumers don't care that much about technicalities.

This and services. I didnt read much about services here, but Game Pass is very important for the future of Xbox. Sony needs to offer something like this, too. PS Now might be it but im not convinced yet.

The average consumer wont be affected by 10 vs 12 TF, but being able to play the newest first party games pretty much for free? That will matter.

A very technical-based presentation. Not that that's a bad thing but didn't have the patience to watch through non-stop which I was intending to do but I ended up skipping through some parts. Was hoping to see some clips of gameplay if even to break the monotony and hopefully a peek at the console.
That being said there seems to be a consideration jump in performance and everything else in the PS5 when it comes available. Pretty excited for when it comes and to purchase one.

So the PS5 uses some form of Precision Boost, which makes sense because it's Zen 2, but it's really weird that they decided on an obtuse 825GB SSD. :odd:

It seems like the SSD could prioritize TLC and QLC, but it's up in the air at the moment. Interesting presentation, but they really couldn't take it upon themselves to show the damn thing off?

No GDDR5 or David Cage, no care.

Will the extra 2 Teraflops even make a big difference with games?

I do hope the next GTA will be optimized to run at a solid 60FPS, its alway been choppy and juddering below 20FPS on consoles.

Will the extra 2 Teraflops even make a big difference with games?

Probably with first party games it will, multi platform maybe not so much. 2 TFLOPs is not exactly nothing to be bothered about missing. Its like a whole extra standard PS4's worth of graphics power just taken away but as PS2 and Wii proved it alone is unlikely to define the systems success.

I think what the difference will be between these games is not so much about graphics but how fast can you play.

I think it's all about how well can we transition into booting up a game to playing to moving into a new area without any lag or screens.

I would think that NMS would be a good show on load times between the two.
While Series X may have more CU and Tf's
With PS5 may have a Gen 4 PCIe MVMe while Xbox may have Gen 3? (Can anyone confirm)

I think Xbox may win on graphics but PS may win on loading.

Back