• Thread starter RocZX
  • 50 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
30ad1b86-polestar-2-1.jpg

• First full BEV from Polestar and the Volvo Car Group
  • ~300 miles of range (all final specs to be announced shortly)
  • ~400 HP (all final specs to be announced shortly)
  • Four-door “fastback” body type
  • World debut of the new Google Android HMI, which in turn is also the debut of the in-car version of Google Assistant
  • Will be sold in the Tesla Model 3 price range
  • Available on subscription, which will be a slightly more premium version of our sister brand’s Care by Volvo package, although we will honor/take cash sales
https://electrek.co/2019/01/03/volvo-polestar-2-first-image-tesla-model-3-competitor/

I really hope this just blows the rest of the competition out of the water. Judging by how good the first one looked i think this could really be the best looking car in the segment aswell. Im rooting for polestar.

I wouldn't be surprised if this reaches markets outside the US (let alone right hand drive territories) before the Tesla Model 3. :yuck:

If any new EV brand can achieve, or even exceed, the same level of Brand equity as Tesla, I reckon Polestar has the best shot.

Or Detroit which is in a couple weeks.

Volvo wasn't at the show last year, at least not officially. Also, looking at the press conference schedule neither Volvo or Polestar have anything scheduled at this time.

The Detroit auto show is pretty much irrelevant now. The venue is too small and the area around Cobo Hall is really terrible. Plus no one wants to go to Detroit in January. Thankfully for 2020, the show is moving to the summer months, but that's too little too late.

If it doesn't drop at CES, I'm guessing it'll end up at Geneva in March.

I'm very excited for this, Volvo have really been knocking it out of the park with their designs recently and the Polestar 1 is a fantastic looking car. Hopefully one day I can actually afford one...

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if this reaches markets outside the US (let alone right hand drive territories) before the Tesla Model 3. :yuck:

If any new EV brand can achieve, or even exceed, the same level of Brand equity as Tesla, I reckon Polestar has the best shot.

Too late for that, the Model 3 is already here in Europe. They've just opened sign-ups in December, and the first few are arriving March-April.

Fun Fact: The Polestar 2 is said to be heavily influenced by the 40.2 concept, which was unveiled alongside the 40.1 concept which later turned into the XC40:
Volvo%2040-Concept.jpg

Seeing how close the XC40 is to the 40.1, you get an idea of how close the Polestar 2 will be to the 40.2.

They're going to sell a car at the Model 3's price made of carbon fiber?

I'll believe it when I see it.

BMW I3 is largely made of CF and it's about the price of the Model 3.
It also doesn't compare favorably to the Model 3 in any way, especially in performance. In that regard it's more like a Nissan Leaf. It does have a very nice and unique interior though.

It also doesn't compare favorably to the Model 3 in any way, especially in performance. In that regard it's more like a Nissan Leaf. It does have a very nice and unique interior though.

It is also largely made of CF and it's about the price of the Model 3.

They're going to sell a car at the Model 3's price made of carbon fiber?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Price of the new i3 base model: €40,650
Price of the new Model 3 base model: €58,800

So definitely not about the same price.

Price of the new i3 base model: €40,650
Price of the new Model 3 base model: €58,800

So definitely not about the same price.

In the US:

I3 starts at $44,000
M3 starts at $46,000*

*there are cheaper options technically on Tesla's website, but I'm not sure you can actually get one at this point.

In the US:

I3 starts at $44,000
M3 starts at $46,000*

*there are cheaper options technically on Tesla's website, but I'm not sure you can actually get one at this point.

Ya, there's a "$35,000" one that's really $44,000 because Tesla factors in estimated gas savings for six years and the federal tax credit. It's really a bunch of BS. Tesla promised a $35k Model 3 and it never delivered on it.

I wasn't won over by the Polestar 1 but I like this a lot, the crossover-style cladding is really doing it for me. 👍

Back