Polestar's first car: the Polestar 1

• Thread starter Leicht
  • 46 comments
  • Electric Range
    150 km (NEDC)
:ouch:

Aha:

Polestar 1 has a plug-in hybrid powertrain with a petrol engine driving the front wheels and two electric motors driving the rear wheels. The combined maximum power from the petrol engine, the electric motors and the Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) is 600 hp and a torque of 1000 Nm.

The combustion engine in the Polestar 1 is a high-performance petrol in-line four-cylinder engine supercharged and turbocharged. The mechanically driven supercharger adds torque from low-to-medium engine speeds together with the turbocharger up to 3500 rpm. The turbocharger then takes over and adds power and torque up to maximum rpm.

Two electric motors drive the rear wheels. Each electric motor delivers a maximum power of 80 kW (109 hp) which is a combined power of 160 kW (218 hp) and torque of 480 Nm on the rear wheels. In addition to these electric motors the Polestar 1 is equipped with an Integrated Starter Generator (ISG), this adds 34 kW (46 hp) and 150 Nm of torque.

Combined with the electric motors are planetary gear sets. These planetary gear sets enable torque vectoring – a technology used in racing to bring both acceleration and stability through curves. Torque vectoring supports the driver with precise acceleration on each wheel to keep the maximum road grip and maintain speed whilst cornering.

The lack of Swedish Racing Green is disappointing and would it kill them to offer in some other shade then variations of grey? The matte is kinda of cool, but that's about it.

Also I know Volvo has one million wheel options in its parts bin, I feel like Polestar could probably snag a few designs.

Still though, if I had the money, I'd buy one.

If I understand correctly, the ISG provides electric power, generate electric power, helps to decelerate the vehicle and generates electric power, charges the battery. It restarts the vehicals engine when needed.

So the Polestar 1 can drive in electric mode, probably in combination with the 2.0L engine? The 150km is purely in electric mode, so to speak. If that is the case, the 150km is a lot. I thought the Polestar 1 is purely an electric vehicle.

Brutally Honest Review from Mat Watson

Thanks Mat Watson! You just made me realize that I can drive around and drink alcoholic beer! I love beer, even if it doesn't have alcohol.

Back