Poll: Do you think PD should release 2 Gran Turismo games every console generations?

Do you think PD should release 2 Gran Turismo games per console generation again?

• Total voters
It depends. GT5 messed up their development cycle and it forced them to released GT6 on PS3 instead of developing it on PS4 and that's why we only have one GT this generation. Now that GT7 is likely to be release early this gen it's possible that they can develop two GTs on PS5.

It depends. GT5 messed up their development cycle and it forced them to released GT6 on PS3 instead of developing it on PS4 and that's why we only have one GT this generation. Now that GT7 is likely to be release early this gen it's possible that they can develop two GTs on PS5.

The PS3 was very difficult to develop games for hence the delays mentioned above. GTS signalled a shift in releasing games early (followed by lots of updates) otherwise PD might have missed the PS4 altogether.

I didn't vote because although I would like games to release more often (subject to quality), the frequency of release and number per console is down to PD and Sony not the fans.

By early - I don't mean the number of years, but releasing the game early in its development cycle i.e. the condition of the game - if PD had waited till the game was finished it might have missed the PS4 altogether. It was released early as a bare bones game with hardly any content - presumably after intense pressure by Sony.

It's quite simple. If there are no fundamental design flaws in the first installment, they can just keep updating that version. Making a second game would then just cost too many resources that could go into perfecting the already released game.

On the other hand, if the basic concept of the game that's already released, has backed you into a corner in terms of future development, then they might have no other chance than to release a new game. From what I think I read about GTS, that's what happened regarding their choices for lighting, which resulted in no changes of time of day and weather.

Considering that today you can also update a game on a graphic level, I would say that a chapter well developed at the beginning of the generation, you can fill it, over time, with contents and modifications like never before.
I would be perfectly satisfied with just one chapter continuously updated.
By the way, an always updated game always brings the communty back to play.

Game development and the way it evolves has changed a lot since the start of the Gran Turismo series but for me there's no obvious reason for PD to make two games in the current era when they can simply update GT7 with new content over it's lifetime.

Other games perhaps would warrant multiple games over a consoles life where there's story involved but for me I see GT as having one game with added content from now on.

More will be revealed closer to the time and what the future plans and at least there are not doing a GT6 and releasing the game on the "old" system when the new one is out as I am quite sure if PD had taken a bold stance and said were going to finish it on PS4 we'd have then had that not long after the PS4 and then Sport and now move onto 7 on the PS5.

Seeing as GT7 is most likely going to be service-based, Gran Turismo 8 on the PS5 shouldn't need to exist; any updates a direct sequel would have can easily be done via patches these days.

The only reason why another Gran Turismo game should be released on the PS5 is if PD is working on a spinoff title.

Seeing as GT7 is most likely going to be service-based, Gran Turismo 8 on the PS5 shouldn't need to exist; any updates a direct sequel would have can easily be done via patches these days.

The only reason why another Gran Turismo game should be released on the PS5 is if PD is working on a spinoff title.
Businesswise it makes more sense for Sony to release a sequel instead of making it as service-based and producing more DLC unless GT7 is going to be as profitable as GTA5 which I highly doubt.

Businesswise it makes more sense for Sony to release a sequel instead of making it as service-based and producing more DLC unless GT7 is going to be as profitable as GTA5 which I highly doubt.

It's not ideal from the perspective of the player though. Not only do you have to start a new game from scratch, the player base gets split up and online support for the older game can be cut off to force people into buying the new game.

You can make more money from a sequel, but the image of the company will take a hit as a result.

I mean, there hasn't really been a need for them to do this since the PS2 era; and the last time they did it they shoved a game out the door to meet a sales window that was worse than the one they had built up over the previous 3 years.

In the past yeah, but it's not necessary for now. In the past, the gaming technology isn't as advanced as now, when a game (like GT) has been released, you can't change it anymore, hence you add the sequel to add many more content or other improvements from the previous GTs. But gaming today, you can update and release features for existing game as patches, though unfortunately is taken advantage to charge in prices (microtransactions), but the point still stands. So no, PD shouldn't release more than 1 GT anymore with consoles today, just keep updating it until the end of its lifetime.

I think they should aim for 2 per console cycle, if only because they might learn how to do incremental development. I suspect if there had been incremental releases every two years since 1997, Gran Turismo would be a very different beast and a lot of it's problems would probably have been iterated on to the point that they disappeared.

There's things to be said for taking your time and getting something right, but there's also something to be said for just getting it done. Polyphony clearly leans more towards the former, and to a fault I would argue. Having deadlines gives you focus and makes you work only on what is practical and possible, not spend years on pie-in-the-sky technologies that have no real world use.

By early - I don't mean the number of years, but releasing the game early in its development cycle i.e. the condition of the game - if PD had waited till the game was finished it might have missed the PS4 altogether. It was released early as a bare bones game with hardly any content - presumably after intense pressure by Sony.

No, GT6 set the precedent for that. Arguably GT5 was there as well. But GT5 felt more like a complete game that expanded significantly after release, whereas GT6 was very much a bare bones thing that was advertised at release that it was going to have all these amazing features once they got around to adding them. Of which there were then delays, changes, and outright omissions.

Do GT fans would even like to play the same game for a whole console generation? IMO, racing games tend to have lifespan of 2-3 years before it gets stale. Yes, they could add more content and features but you're still playing the same game, there will be no advancement in visuals and sounds. Just look at GTA5, no update outside of content and game modes.

Well it seems many GT fans want to play the same game for 20 years going by all the aversion to change, so maybe?
The GT formula is highly successful it's no surprise that PD didn't tried something new until Sport. And they get tons of backlash because of that. What I'm implying here is there will be minimal improvements in visuals, physics, and sounds if GT7 is going to be a game as a service. Plus there will be constant update, I can't even imagine the file size of the game if they go that route

Last edited:
If PD wants to take a bite out of IRacing and other titles maybe they should have a Game - Simulator and GTS type Simulator with wheel updates built in so we don’t have To use a PC To bring our wheel Software Up to date. The money spent would not stop wheel users , most of Us already pay $300 to $1500 more to play the same Simulator Others play for free.

Last edited:
I think one release close to the release of the console, and then another with updated/more content and features during the middle of the console life would be good. It would be like GT3 and GT4 on the PS2. Though one per generation could do if they set it up right.

Well it seems many GT fans want to play the same game for 20 years going by all the aversion to change, so maybe?

Race car drivers haven’t change Since 1904 you set up a car you drive it and try to finish first with the checkered flag for bragging rights . In Sim Racing all you need is to make the race feel real.

Last edited:
The GT formula is highly successful it's no surprise that PD didn't tried something new until Sport. And they get tons of backlash because of that. What I'm implying here is there will be minimal improvements in visuals, physics, and sounds if GT7 is going to be a game as a service. Plus there will be constant update, I can't even imagine the file size of the game if they go that route

The first person shooter formula is highly successful as well, but there's been significant innovation in that genre over the last twenty years. Nobody thinks that OG Doom was the pinnacle of all that could be achieved with that style, despite it being hugely successful to this day.

I think the argument that GT sells well and so therefore it doesn't need to improve is weak. I can see the appeal of that if you're a developer, you can look at how GameFreak has handled the Pokemon games if you want to see that taken to a logical extreme. It's gotta be real easy to hack together the same old assets and squeeze out another installment for a fat paycheck. But as a consumer, I don't understand it. If a good game is good, then surely a better game would be great.

To be clear, I don't think that you're specifically making that argument, but it's the undercurrent behind what many people say when they echo sentiments like your first sentence. And it's how we end up with people hoping that we get a game that's 2001 game design with shinier graphics.

If PD wants to take a bite out of IRacing and other titles maybe they should have a Game - Simulator and GTS type Simulator with wheel updates built in so we don’t have To use a PC To bring our wheel Software Up to date. The money spent would not stop wheel users , most of Us already pay $300 to $1500 more to play the same Simulator Others play for free.

Why would Polyphony, with a game series that sells ten million copies per installment, want to take a bite out of iRacing, with an active userbase of ~150,000? That's like McDonald's saying that it's main competition is Joe's Fish 'n Chips. Gran Turismo exists to sell hardware for Sony, and that means appealing to more people than the turbonerds like me who play iRacing.

You can aim for two per generation but one good game is better than two half-arsed games.

The first person shooter formula is highly successful as well, but there's been significant innovation in that genre over the last twenty years. Nobody thinks that OG Doom was the pinnacle of all that could be achieved with that style, despite it being hugely successful to this day.

I think the argument that GT sells well and so therefore it doesn't need to improve is weak. I can see the appeal of that if you're a developer, you can look at how GameFreak has handled the Pokemon games if you want to see that taken to a logical extreme. It's gotta be real easy to hack together the same old assets and squeeze out another installment for a fat paycheck. But as a consumer, I don't understand it. If a good game is good, then surely a better game would be great.

To be clear, I don't think that you're specifically making that argument, but it's the undercurrent behind what many people say when they echo sentiments like your first sentence. And it's how we end up with people hoping that we get a game that's 2001 game design with shinier graphics.

Why would Polyphony, with a game series that sells ten million copies per installment, want to take a bite out of iRacing, with an active userbase of ~150,000? That's like McDonald's saying that it's main competition is Joe's Fish 'n Chips. Gran Turismo exists to sell hardware for Sony, and that means appealing to more people than the turbonerds like me who play iRacing.

I had A 2 year buy in on IRacing Don’t remember the cost . Then It’s cost me about $700 to upgrade my PC to Get most of the content to work at 1080p with a Needed reboot at the wrong time, Then wait for a race.
Then PS4 Pro came out with GTS I paid about $450 and played at 4K. No reboots ever. Just racing with a few Server issues. Guess what I never look back to see what am I missing.

You can aim for two per generation but one good game is better than two half-arsed games.
If GTS is Not Broken at a cost of $20 We don’t know what GT7 will cost but what ever it is the online should be the option that cost more . That is the difference between a Game Player and a online Sim Race Car Driver.

Back