Poll: Would you be happy with current standard cars in a PS4 Gran Turismo game?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 525 comments

Will you be happy with standard cars in a Playstation 4 Gran Turismo?

• Yes

Votes: 195 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 632 76.4%

• Total voters
Let's work towards bursting it. There must be a way.
They could just hire old turn 10 staff, but I doubt PD has knowledge over the existence of Forza, or any other Simracer... Kaz and PD live in a dreamworld of 2004

PD Apparently have around 110 employees. This is from their outdated website, but that kind of gives away why there are so many problems with GT. Maybe Kaz is just stubborn?

PD Apparently have around 110 employees. This is from their outdated website, but that kind of gives away why there are so many problems with GT. Maybe Kaz is just stubborn?

This times 9000.

I mean if you had success from early on up unto GT5(I don't call it a success, but in the books it sold over 10 so yeh). Then add on top of that you literally have no competition to speak of? Would you be stubborn?

Gran Turismo is the Madden of Console Simulation Racing Games. Except it doesn't release every year.

Edit: To clarify the last statement I say that because they don't/didn't have to worry about to many racers cramping their style. They were King of the Hill so to speak. Now that Project Cars is on the way and Grid is doing it's thing that pressure will began to be felt at some point.

Last edited:
This times 9000.

I mean if you had success from early on up unto GT5(I don't call it a success, but in the books it sold over 10 so yeh). Then add on top of that you literally have no competition to speak of? Would you be stubborn?

Gran Turismo is the Madden of Console Simulation Racing Games. Except it doesn't release every year.

Edit: To clarify the last statement I say that because they don't/didn't have to worry about to many racers cramping their style. They were King of the Hill so to speak. Now that Project Cars is on the way and Grid is doing it's thing that pressure will began to be felt at some point.

Pressure has been with GT since 2005 with Forza 1... On total, the GT series has sold about 70 million copies, but GT5 was bought by people who bought it over the success of GT3 and 4 and anticipation made by GT5P... Things have changed since 2010, GTis no longer the sim racing pretty boy, the moment GT4 was launched (the peak of the series) was the moment it fall down a dark whole... It'll take time, effort and help to get out of it, which is why the only 2 good options are that GT7 will either be out on 2017, or if they decide to release it next year, GT8 will be the series salvation

Pressure has been with GT since 2005 with Forza 1... On total, the GT series has sold about 70 million copies, but GT5 was bought by people who bought it over the success of GT3 and 4 and anticipation made by GT5P... Things have changed since 2010, GTis no longer the sim racing pretty boy, the moment GT4 was launched (the peak of the series) was the moment it fall down a dark whole... It'll take time, effort and help to get out of it, which is why the only 2 good options are that GT7 will either be out on 2017, or if they decide to release it next year, GT8 will be the series salvation

No cause you know as I know that people don't believe Forza is in any way shape or form a true threat to PD/GT series I believe Kaz himself doesn't think that way, but we'll see that tune change definitely when Project Cars racing onto the scene very soon. I'm hoping it's at least good enough to grab attention away from PD that will make them change this stupid vision crap.

If GT7 is still keeping standards in I still wonder what else Kaz will be stubborn about.

No cause you know as I know that people don't believe Forza is in any way shape or form a true threat to PD/GT series I believe Kaz himself doesn't think that way, but we'll see that tune change definitely when Project Cars racing onto the scene very soon. I'm hoping it's at least good enough to grab attention away from PD that will make them change this stupid vision crap.

If GT7 is still keeping standards in I still wonder what else Kaz will be stubborn about.

I appear to be the only person who is not interested in Pcars, to me it just looks like a very polished and more serious version of Shift 2 with GT6-ish physics

Edit: If we follow your thinking, then Asseto Corsa on the ps4 is its only competition... Everything must be competition to pd, that's how Forza kept living, it look at GT4 as competition... There were many GT copycats over the years, Sega GT 1 and 2, and a lot more, but none of them has reached Forza's level and quick growth, in 5 years they managed to surpass GT

Last edited:
Actually, I could probably overlook the standards, if, Kaz was as equally determined to provide a proportionate number of events to go with the number of cars.

At least then, there would exist some method to accompany the percieved madness.

No need to burst any bubbles when or hire any T10 staff, at least one possibility is quite simple.
Well, they could outsource the upgrading of standard cars, but I'm not so sure it would be a very permanent fix. There would still probably be a divide in car quality, (unless they contracted a HUGE team of skilled modellers) and I'm hoping they could edge away from that eventually. Now, realistically, they COULD update all of the cars to Premium quality, but to do that whilst introducing new cars to the series would take over 10 years the way they're going now. They could just pick, say, 200 of them to remodel themselves over the next 3 games.

This interests me....
That'll never happen... Everyone please take no offense to what I'm about to say:...
As we all know PD and Kaz are both Japanese right? We all know that Japan has great history when it comes to honor, and if PD were to ask for help to a company from another country, that will only bring them shame, and no honor... Much like the fact that most Japanese people buy, say, a Wii U or a PS4 over the Xbox one, which to them, makes them think that somehow they are more Japanese, giving them honor, for a simple thing like that... Hence the reason GT6/5/4/3/2 are the same game has GT1, they take no examples from other things, their only work method is to continue what they achieved... American and European people don't think "hey I bought a ps4, great, I feel Japanese!", that's irrelevant for them... Basically what I just said is shown on both Forza and GT's car selection, 641 Japanese cars, are you serious pd?

That'll never happen... Everyone please take no offense to what I'm about to say:...
As we all know PD and Kaz are both Japanese right? We all know that Japan has great history when it comes to honor, and if PD were to ask for help to a company from another country, that will only bring them shame, and no honor... Much like the fact that most Japanese people buy, say, a Wii U or a PS4 over the Xbox one, which to them, makes them think that somehow they are more Japanese, giving them honor, for a simple thing like that... Hence the reason GT6/5/4/3/2 are the same game has GT1, they take no examples from other things, their only work method is to continue what they achieved... American and European people don't think "hey I bought a ps4, great, I feel Japanese!", that's irrelevant for them... Basically what I just said is shown on both Forza and GT's car selection, 641 Japanese cars, are you serious pd?

No.
Japanese people don't buy a PS4 to feel more japanese, but rather because it is cheaper, locally produced and easy to get. Honor/spirit/Bushido/WWII BS has nothing to do with this. Kaz is a traditionalist and set in his ways, the end.

It doesn't matter what country a developer is from, they are creating an international product that must meet our expectations. That whole "master artist" BS, I don't give a hoot about if it's only going to slow down production. All I'm expecting in the end is a quality product. I mean can someone name me another first party developer with around 100 employees (I'd like to know)?

It doesn't matter what country a developer is from, they are creating an international product that must meet our expectations. That whole "master artist" BS, I don't give a hoot about if it's only going to slow down production. All I'm expecting in the end is a quality product. I mean can someone name me another first party developer with around 100 employees (I'd like to know)?
Last count I saw was 130 and I'm sure I read they have hired or are hiring some modelers and of course they are looking for sound people as we all know.

I have no doubt that PD's employees are a talented bunch. It's just the company could do with a few more. A lot of work has to be done from now until GT7's release, and getting more people in will ultimately result in a better game, within a shorter space of time. It would be a win win situation for Kaz and us fans.....

Bring the employee count up to 200, and in theory, we'd be talking about a game that's developed twice as efficiently, and is twice as refined.

Turn 10 has around 300 Employees. As Forza is a series about consistent quality, this number of employees is a decent number.

Then There's Codemasters.... 800 Employees. That's why they have the ability to develop multiple games at once. There's just so many of them. The quality of Codemasters games, like Dirt 3 is simply outstanding.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that PD's employees are a talented bunch. It's just the company could do with a few more. A lot of work has to be done from now until GT7's release, and getting more people in will ultimately result in a better game, within a shorter space of time. It would be a win win situation for Kaz and us fans.....

Bring the employee count up to 200, and in theory, we'd be talking about a game that's developed twice as efficiently, and is twice as refined.

Turn 10 has around 300 Employees. As Forza is a series about consistent quality, this number of employees is a decent number.

Then There's Codemasters.... 800 Employees. That's why they have the ability to develop multiple games at once. There's just so many of them. The quality of Codemasters games, like Dirt 3 is simply outstanding.

Codemasters is really that highly staffed? I had no idea. If anything, knowing that disappoints me because they could make a serious competitor to GT/Forza if they really wanted to, but instead they keep choosing to make these smaller games focused on one or a few disciplines, with very limited content and features. But you're right about PD, and they have no excuse not to hire more employees.

I appear to be the only person who is not interested in Pcars, to me it just looks like a very polished and more serious version of Shift 2 with GT6-ish physics.
Ok then....
181va63ukpch3gif.gif
:D

Lets stop right there, you call a codemasters game like F1 2014 and F1 2013, with PS2 quality graphics, no formation laps, messed up engine sounds, still a broken safety car (doesn't come out on lap 1 and the final laps, and takes a ton of effort to get it deployed), 60 minute practice session (only 1 practice session, not the real life 3), super stiff cars in terms of damage, auto brakes in runoff areas, no interviews and podium celebrations an outstanding game? Yes some codies games like Dirt 1, 2, Grid 1 and TOCA were good, but most of them were not outstanding by any means.

Last edited:
Codemasters is really that highly staffed? I had no idea. If anything, knowing that disappoints me because they could make a serious competitor to GT/Forza if they really wanted to, but instead they keep choosing to make these smaller games focused on one or a few disciplines, with very limited content and features. But you're right about PD, and they have no excuse not to hire more employees.

Codemasters have always been about arcade style games rather than simulation, but they make great racing games nevertheless. It makes you think that PD would be far larger, considering GT has been a more successful franchise in comparison to Codemasters releases. It's all a bit illogical at times.

Lets stop right there, you call a codemasters game like F1 2014 and F1 2013, with PS2 quality graphics, no formation laps, messed up engine sounds, still a broken safety car (doesn't come out on lap 1 and the final laps, and takes a ton of effort to get it deployed), 60 minute practice session (only 1 practice session, not the real life 3), super stiff cars in terms of damage, auto brakes in runoff areas, no interviews and podium celebrations an outstanding game? Yes some codies games like Dirt 1, 2, and Grid 1 were good, but most of them were not outstanding by any means.

I tell a lie then. I haven't actually played any of the F1 games aside from 2011. I got the sense that because the games are released on a yearly basis, that it would suffer in terms of quality. However, I was amazed by Codies Rally releases. Dirt 3 is great in terms of attention to detail, sound, damage and visuals are the most refined I've seen in a racing game. I can only imagine Dirt 4 (which is rumored in the works) will be even better.

Other Codemasters releases like Toca, Colin McRae Rally and Grid, aren't slouches when it comes to quality.

I think the poll is a bit too limited.

I don't think standards are bad. Should they all be Premium cars instead? Absolutely, I'm not stupid, But that's something that won't happen. I think standards just need a bit of cleaning up and fixing is all. I don't think they're the worst things in the world, GT6 had plenty of very pretty and well updated standards. Sure, no interior is a huge let down, but it can't be easy to find >800 cars and model every single one's interior to the exact detail. Personally, I'm happy with the car count. I get the argument of quantity over quality, but saying that you'd rather get rid of plenty of fun and unique cars because you're salty over the (admittedly ridiculous) count of Skylines and Miatas, and get rid of EVERY standard because you think dealing with a black interior in a view you're never going to use unless you're in a mood that wants it is a crime, then I can't take that argument seriously anymore.

Which games did you have in mind?

Everything after DiRT Showdown I imagine. Every game since then has had some sort of game-breaking issue (looking at you GRID 2 & GRID Autosport, bloody corrupt save files). Not to mention the Steam port of Colin McRae Rally iOS, which riled up a lot of fans who were expecting a full CMR game.

Codemasters can turn iron into gold but something always seems to spoil the broth.

Honestly with the quality of some of their games I'm shocked they haven't sold more Codemasters that is. Playing F1 2012, and it's got the right balance of graphics, environment, sense of speed, difficulty, A.I etc etc.

I'm even more shocked that GRID isn't given GT some sort of Pressure honestly.

So this turned into a full on Codemasters conversation... courtesy of me... but no matter. From this, I think we can gather that not everyone agrees with the quality of Codemasters games, but even so, I think they are inspirational in the sense that they have an ideal number of employees, so they can afford to do much more with their games.

Take Dirt 3 for instance. It runs very smoothly, looks great, sounds great, and is jam packed with great details upon close inspection. Everything from car damage, weather, night racing, AI and vehicle handling is well refined. Had Codemasters had a similar employee count to PD, Dirt 3 would have been much less impressive because there's less input of talent. It would have felt like a Gran Turismo game. Somewhat incomplete and possibly inconsistent.

The general logic here, is more employees = a more refined experience. More employees = more talent. More talent = better game.

PD should defiantly invest in doubling, if not tripling its current employee count. For a series as successful as GT, it can't be hard.

So this turned into a full on Codemasters conversation... courtesy of me... but no matter. From this, I think we can gather that not everyone agrees with the quality of Codemasters games, but even so, I think they are inspirational in the sense that they have an ideal number of employees, so they can afford to do much more with their games.

Take Dirt 3 for instance. It runs very smoothly, looks great, sounds great, and is jam packed with great details upon close inspection. Everything from car damage, weather, night racing, AI and vehicle handling is well refined. Had Codemasters had a similar employee count to PD, Dirt 3 would have been much less impressive because there's less input of talent. It would have felt like a Gran Turismo game. Somewhat incomplete and possibly inconsistent.

The general logic here, is more employees = a more refined experience. More employees = more talent. More talent = better game.

PD should defiantly invest in doubling, if not tripling its current employee count. For a series as successful as GT, it can't be hard.

Not always, but with the way games are headed you do need a larger count which PD/Kaz have their heads in the sand if they think keeping less than 200 is anywhere they need to be. If they could get up to 300 I guarantee they'd have games out at least in 2 years and refined experiences across the board I mean we probably wouldn't have even been having the standard/premium cars/tracks debate right now if this were the case.

To follow up the not always part you got bigger companies like Ubisoft who have...........apparently over 9000 employees, but looking at the Assassin's Creed Franchise having that many haven't helped so much.

Back