Poll: Would you be happy with current standard cars in a PS4 Gran Turismo game?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 525 comments

Will you be happy with standard cars in a Playstation 4 Gran Turismo?

• Yes

Votes: 195 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 632 76.4%

• Total voters
But that's the thing, the majority of cars modeled as standards in GT6 do not add great variety, they are full of dupes and minor variations of the same car. I would much prefer rreal variety. As for "Don't like them, don't use them" that will never be a valid defence of standard cars as long as PD keep them present in the game in the form of AI or online players.

As for the last point, what do you mean by that? PD and the GT series are above anyone else and can do anything and get away with it?

May I just ask you to explain this a little more please. It sounds like you're saying that because you don't like them (not just you of course, just an example) They should be gone and people who like them shouldn't get to use them because you might have to see them as ai or online?

I ask you to explain more because that sounds just horribly selfish and I don't actually believe that's what you meant.

Edit: I sort of get what Hal is saying about not having enough variety. It's not the number of cars really, it's what they are. I for one wouldn't be happy if we just had 500 high performance cars/race cars with only a small number of slower/unique cars in the game. But the premiums in GT6 have an alright variety, as long as any new cars added aren't dominated by HiPo cars.

It sounds like you're saying that because you don't like them (not just you of course, just an example) They should be gone and people who like them shouldn't get to use them because you might have to see them as ai or online?
It is very easy and as well very logical to turn this point of view the other way round.
Just because others (some 20%) like or don't mind standard cars, the people who don't like them have to put up with them ?

May I just ask you to explain this a little more please. It sounds like you're saying that because you don't like them (not just you of course, just an example) They should be gone and people who like them shouldn't get to use them because you might have to see them as ai or online?

I ask you to explain more because that sounds just horribly selfish and I don't actually believe that's what you meant..

How did you take that from my post? Which part exactly insinuated that? The part about me seeing them as AI or online was in response to the argument that if PD included standard cars and I didn't like them I could just ignore them. For those two reasons, I couldn't. That's all I was getting at in saying that.

It is very easy and as well very logical to turn this point of view the other way round.
Just because others (some 20%) like or don't mind standard cars, the people who don't like them have to put up with them ?

Uuuummm...yes and no. Yes, in the way that you do still have to see them if they are in the game even if you don't use them. But no because simply seeing a car isn't really the same as using it. For instance, I don't really like the GT-R. I don't use it but I'm not upset that I have to see it as AI or online. An even better example is the Auto Union V16 type C. I don't like that car mostly just because it's horribly ugly. But same deal, I'm not upset to see it.

How did you take that from my post? Which part exactly insinuated that? The part about me seeing them as AI or online was in response to the argument that if PD included standard cars and I didn't like them I could just ignore them. For those two reasons, I couldn't. That's all I was getting at in saying that.

Oh alright, thanks for the explanation. It didn't seem like I was reading what you said properly and I'm glad I was right.

There's the other case, like in GT5 (dunno about GT6 on this) where standard cars are necessary to complete A-spec.

Uuuummm...yes and no. Yes, in the way that you do still have to see them if they are in the game even if you don't use them. But no because simply seeing a car isn't really the same as using it. For instance, I don't really like the GT-R. I don't use it but I'm not upset that I have to see it as AI or online. An even better example is the Auto Union V16 type C. I don't like that car mostly just because it's horribly ugly. But same deal, I'm not upset to see it.

That's different though, that's just about whether you like the car or not. We all have to see cars we don't like in the real world and the virtual world, that's a fact of life and It would be silly to argue against that. My point is though regarding the visual quality of standard cars, if they appear in GT7 as AI or online then I can't just ignore that low quality in the game, I will still be seeing what in my opinion are distracting and ugly assets, no matter what car they're depicting.

Like Imari said in this thread or another one, I can't remember, it's not the quality of the assets I have an issue with per se. I can still play a PS2, PS1, SNES etc game and enjoy it just fine, even though the visuals are poor by todays standard. What I don't personally like are jarring differences in quality, and if standard PS2 models were included in a PS4 game I'm pretty sure I'd find it very offputting.

Plus it's not just the visual side of things, the standard models also limit what you can do with livery editors, damage and that sort of thing.

There's the other case, like in GT5 (dunno about GT6 on this) where standard cars are necessary to complete A-spec.
In GT6, if you don't want to, you'll never have to drive or own a standard car, none are required for any race events (or seasonals too, yet) and you never win any as prize cars.

Suffice to say, PD is slowly edging away from them, and they're undoubtedly in the painful process of deciding how they should leave. I believe the cars we are set to lose should be sorted through, with the most important ones given high priority for being remodelled to join the ranks of the other immaculately detailed cars, and we fans will all have to let go of our sentimentality for some of the car models that have been used since GT Concept '02 (yes, I too will miss the Toyota RSC... slightly). For posterity though, there should be digital re-releases of past GT games, that would solve a great deal of issues.

For posterity though, there should be digital re-releases of past GT games, that would solve a great deal of issues.
I'd think it would be easier to just remodel the Standard cars and tracks than to produce entire legacy games around them. Maybe I'm wrong on that. But if the games are brought up to date with higher resolution and lighting engine, weather and time of day transitions and all that, even an extensive mod and Livery Editor, I'd love to see GT2 and 4 re-released on PS4.

For posterity though, there should be digital re-releases of past GT games, that would solve a great deal of issues.

There really should be. I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

Gran Turismo 1 is a great game for a handheld, for example. I mean, uh, I couldn't be absolutely sure, because that would require hacking my PSP and I couldn't talk about that here, but it sure seems like a perfect little game for a handheld, and graphics are far less important on a little screen.

GT3 and GT4 are excellent to play in HD (again, for reasons I can't talk about), and would be more stunning if PD did a quick run through and updated all the textures. They're good to play, especially for players who may have been new to the series in GT5 or 6 and aren't aware of where the series came from.

If I was PD, I'd be looking at licensing some emulation software (or using the in-house stuff that Sony doubtless has), tweaking it up to run on PS4 and publishing a GT1 through GT4 historical package. It'd hardly sell heaps, but I'd imagine enough that it'd be a tidy little earner for the amount of work that would be required.

They would have to acquire all their past car and manufacturer licenses again. Not sure how that would turn out.

Would they? I assume they can still sell original copies of GT4, or GT1 if they want to without reacquiring licences. They're still selling copies of GT5 new, for example.

I see no reason why the same wouldn't apply to, say, digital versions. I doubt they'd need to relicense to sell a digital version of GT4, if there was suddenly a PSN enabled version of PS2 available.

Is it a different game if it's on a different system? Dunno. Probably depends on the specific wording of their contracts. They might need the licenses again for a HD version, but they very well might not if it's considered the same game.

Perhaps it's an indication that their contracts don't allow it that we haven't see HD versions. Who knows. It'd be nice to ask PD/Kaz, but chances of getting a straight answer are slim to oh-you're-such-a-comedian. I've got the answer we'll get right here.

"It's technically possible, and it's something we might look into."

Now that I think of it, GT3 doesn't seem to have any manufactures that PD doesn't already have a license of. Wouldn't they be able to release that game again?

When they paid money and licensed all those cars they were on the basis the game was sold as new in 1998, or whenever. It was a "one use" license if you like. If they wanted to put the game on PSN they would need to reach a new agreement with all the license holders that their cars could be featured again, in 2014, in digital form.

It's silly, but that's how it works.

I just don't get it. Don't want to sound rude but why does the 19% of people want standard cars? What purpose do they serve? You can't even change there bumpers and side skirts. Not only that, they look horrible. Why?

I mean, look at this! In a PS4 game? UUUUUGH! :crazy:
689.jpg

I'm going to assume they want the actual car themselves, but want them in premium quality. If someone really wants them to return in standard quality, I don't know what to say to them. I mean really, as @TokoTurismo stated above, those models have no place in a PS4 game.

I'm going to assume they want the actual car themselves, but want them in premium quality. If someone really wants them to return in standard quality, I don't know what to say to them. I mean really, as @TokoTurismo stated above, those models have no place in a PS4 game.

I hope that's what they mean as well, but the poll isn't asking that and 64 people have said yes, so.

Still, they're certainly the minority which is what I expected.

I just don't get it. Don't want to sound rude but why does the 19% of people want standard cars? What purpose do they serve? You can't even change there bumpers and side skirts. Not only that, they look horrible. Why?

I mean, look at this! In a PS4 game? UUUUUGH! :crazy:

As disgusting as these cars in a modern game are, I can definitely see the point of view from the "yes-men", even those who don't mind if they're upgraded as so many have pointed out. A car's a car, and the quality of said car doesn't matter to everyone. And that's really what this whole poll is about; preference!

Let's say you drive with bumper cam, on one of the ported GT4 tracks. You do hot-lapping a lot. You drive offline most of the time. You go online when bored. This may be a small minority within a small minority of people, but those people most definitely would not mind and might even welcome standards in all future GT games where PD can keep the license.

The real question is to find what everyone thinks should be the middle ground; I'm with everyone who's put the idea forward of giving the premium treatment to some noteworthy/fan favourite standards. I'm sure PD could collect the data on which to upgrade relatively quickly, and set about getting the cars to scan if they really wanted to!

I'm glad we have differing points of view, makes for interesting discussion :P

As disgusting as these cars in a modern game are, I can definitely see the point of view from the "yes-men", even those who don't mind if they're upgraded as so many have pointed out. A car's a car, and the quality of said car doesn't matter to everyone. And that's really what this whole poll is about; preference!

Let's say you drive with bumper cam, on one of the ported GT4 tracks. You do hot-lapping a lot. You drive offline most of the time. You go online when bored. This may be a small minority within a small minority of people, but those people most definitely would not mind and might even welcome standards in all future GT games where PD can keep the license.

The real question is to find what everyone thinks should be the middle ground; I'm with everyone who's put the idea forward of giving the premium treatment to some noteworthy/fan favourite standards. I'm sure PD could collect the data on which to upgrade relatively quickly, and set about getting the cars to scan if they really wanted to!

I'm glad we have differing points of view, makes for interesting discussion :P
I don't think a middle ground is necessary because there are few people in favour of standard cars that are not going to buy GT7 because it has none of the old, untouched standards in it. They've bought every version of the game so far and will buy the next one with 500 premiums and some of their favourite standards missing.

On the other hand, newer or more casual gamers and more hardcore sim racers will look at and compare car models. Little Johnny goes online and sees a picture of a standard in GT7 being mocked and says, "Ewww, I don't want that but gee look how nice this car looks in PCars or Driveclub or Forza, let's get that instead" I think the same goes for many sim racers. GT doesn't offer enough in terms of physics to make the graphic tradeoff with standard cars worthwhile the way iRacing does for example.

I don't think a middle ground is necessary because there are few people in favour of standard cars that are not going to buy GT7 because it has none of the old, untouched standards in it. They've bought every version of the game so far and will buy the next one with 500 premiums and some of their favourite standards missing.

On the other hand, newer or more casual gamers and more hardcore sim racers will look at and compare car models. Little Johnny goes online and sees a picture of a standard in GT7 being mocked and says, "Ewww, I don't want that but gee look how nice this car looks in PCars or Driveclub or Forza, let's get that instead" I think the same goes for many sim racers. GT doesn't offer enough in terms of physics to make the graphic tradeoff with standard cars worthwhile the way iRacing does for example.

I'd be inclined to agree if the issue was black and white. I believe a middle ground is necessary because there is literally no right or wrong in this case; and whilst fewer people would be upset with the removal of standards, those are still players upset.

Perhaps I'm stretching it a bit (understatement of the century ;p ) here to find a peaceful settlement to a rather major argument GT players new and old have had for a while. But honestly, I feel the solution is not to keep or remove standards. It's to find a compromise. There's plenty of ways to at least sort-of satisfy everyone. Find a way for everyone to have their fun. And isn't that what games are all about? Let's say I have fun running standards. You have fun running premiums. So long as we're having fun, who's to say either of us are right or wrong?

And yes, not many would just pack up and say "WELP SCREW GT" over the removal of standards, even if they were in favour of them; but sometimes you just have to view it from the other side of the not-so-proverbial fence.

And besides, shouldn't we focus on more productive things than the same-old thread firing the same-old argument up again? Why not push all our brain power, which we clearly exercise a lot, into coming up with potential ways of sorting things out? We know PD sort-of lurk here, or they're just REALLY good at finding bugs and such in their patches after they sent them out themselves. So let's give them some food for thought instead of muddying the waters even more. Productivity will breed more productivity; just as all this contempt will create even more contempt.

I'd be inclined to agree if the issue was black and white. I believe a middle ground is necessary because there is literally no right or wrong in this case; and whilst fewer people would be upset with the removal of standards, those are still players upset.

Perhaps I'm stretching it a bit (understatement of the century ;p ) here to find a peaceful settlement to a rather major argument GT players new and old have had for a while. But honestly, I feel the solution is not to keep or remove standards. It's to find a compromise. There's plenty of ways to at least sort-of satisfy everyone. Find a way for everyone to have their fun. And isn't that what games are all about? Let's say I have fun running standards. You have fun running premiums. So long as we're having fun, who's to say either of us are right or wrong?

And yes, not many would just pack up and say "WELP SCREW GT" over the removal of standards, even if they were in favour of them; but sometimes you just have to view it from the other side of the not-so-proverbial fence.

And besides, shouldn't we focus on more productive things than the same-old thread firing the same-old argument up again? Why not push all our brain power, which we clearly exercise a lot, into coming up with potential ways of sorting things out? We know PD sort-of lurk here, or they're just REALLY good at finding bugs and such in their patches after they sent them out themselves. So let's give them some food for thought instead of muddying the waters even more. Productivity will breed more productivity; just as all this contempt will create even more contempt.
PD doesn't care who is happy and who is not, all they care about is who buys the game and how many buy the game. So whichever direction they go, will be the one they think leads to the largest sales, whereas many of us are approaching from the standpoint of integrity, next gen standards etc.

Truth is, if PD thinks adding all the standards to GT7 will sell more games, that's what you'll get. It's my opinion that that ship has sailed. One could argue it worked to a degree with GT5, it absolutely had no positive effect on GT6 sales and if anecdotal evidence around here means anything, it probably hurt sales. The only question in PD's mind is, "will including standards help or hurt sales of GT7?"

PD doesn't care who is happy and who is not, all they care about is who buys the game and how many buy the game. So whichever direction they go, will be the one they think leads to the largest sales, whereas many of us are approaching from the standpoint of integrity, next gen standards etc.

Truth is, if PD thinks adding all the standards to GT7 will sell more games, that's what you'll get. It's my opinion that that ship has sailed. One could argue it worked to a degree with GT5, it absolutely had no positive effect on GT6 sales and if anecdotal evidence around here means anything, it probably hurt sales. The only question in PD's mind is, "will including standards help or hurt sales of GT7?"

Oh, of course all PD care about are sales! I've never once doubted that ^^ I'm talking more what the players want, as this thread is about the players with it addressing "you". Not PD, because the answer is obvious, as you have stated. Sorry for any confusion!

Arguably, there's players to gain and lose with both choices. It's about which one will give the best payoff. And yes, we all know which one that is.

PD doesn't care who is happy and who is not, all they care about is who buys the game and how many buy the game.
Everything I've read on this indicates it's only true of SONY, not PD, so I disagree.

Everything I've read on this indicates it's only true of SONY, not PD, so I disagree.
Aren't you the same guy who makes an argument that PD might possibly consider leaving behind GT6 in favour of GT7P or did I misread that?

EDIT: Forget that question I already know the answer - Big bad Sony made them do it!!

I chose no. As much as I want to hold on to some cars awhile longer, it probably isn't worth it. Though I would accept cars such as the Trueno/Levin and RUF models (and others that are of around such quality) as they are fairly acceptable.

Forza has given GT7 a get out of jail card. They released with 200 premiums and 11 tracks (I wouldn't even count the airplane hanger one). Project Cars slightly raises the bar with around 30-40 tracks and I'm not sure 100 cars? Forza will probably be around 17 tracks and 300 cars by the time the next GT releases. Having said that I'm at level 160 on Forza and there is still probably 60-70 cars I don't own or have driven.

If GT comes to the table with 300-400 cars and 30-40 tracks in day/night transition it will have blown away the competition. The man hours involved in achieving that will be enormous as is, let alone the suspected next gen weather effects.

They have to drop the standard and non interior cars. The market dictates that. The majority of kids, people new to the game via shows like Top Gear/Fifth Gear, want to experience the new, sexy cars. They want to sit in the LA Ferrari or the P1, they want to look around the dash and they want to hear realistic engine revs when they hit R2. They don't want to sit in a 1970's Miata. Some people do, but they are not the majority of the general game playing public. Polyphony Digital should even collate the car lists from Forza, Need for Speed, Real Racing, Shift, Grid and Project Cars and make sure the top 50 cars from those games are in GT, and if they have all those in the game then their car list is adequate. Cars like the
Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera need to be in the game.

PD can virtually launch the game with their current line up of premium cars plus maybe 10-20 must have cars like the 3 I mentioned above, and as long as they bring the A grade track list they have to the table e.g. the real life and city tracks currently in the game then GT can start it's journey back to the top of the driving simulator game.

If PD dares to put standard cars in a ps4 game this will certainly be their end, they aren't crazy enough, I belive.

Aren't you the same guy who makes an argument that PD might possibly consider leaving behind GT6 in favour of GT7P or did I misread that?

EDIT: Forget that question I already know the answer - Big bad Sony made them do it!!
Just to reiterate, Exclamation Mark Man, it's common knowledge that EA's meddling in SMS caused a slew of issues in the Shift games. But of course the company that owns Polyphony Digital would never do that for their flagship games, no chance in hades... :rolleyes:

Just to reiterate, Exclamation Mark Man, it's common knowledge that EA's meddling in SMS caused a slew of issues in the Shift games. But of course the company that owns Polyphony Digital would never do that for their flagship games, no chance in hades... :rolleyes:
That's what I said, big BAD Sony made them do it:lol: At least we agree on something, even though my remarks are facetious and yours aren't.:ouch:

Back