Poll: Would you be happy with current standard cars in a PS4 Gran Turismo game?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 525 comments

Will you be happy with standard cars in a Playstation 4 Gran Turismo?

• Yes

Votes: 195 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 632 76.4%

• Total voters
I was slightly confused by the ambiguity of the poll.

I think we all want all the standards, just not as standards, but as premiums.

This is what @Zlork meant.

I thought this part made it clear what I meant:

The definition of a standard car is simple, any 3D model that started life on the Playstation 2 games and subsequently included in GT5 and GT6, either as-is or touched up. So yes, that includes the worst of them and the best touched up, but still standard models.

I thought it was obvious I was talking about the 3D models rather than the vehicles themselves.

@Squanto @Samus

Yea I agree, hence my original reply to this thread, making my response clear that, although I don't want the low modeling quality, I do want the actual cars.

I'm merely pointing out, that I think many that voted 'yes', may have misinterpreted the question.

Some members here aren't quite as sharp as others. It seems.

Edit, not Squanto, but @buickgnx88, seems I'm not as sharp as I thought:lol:

I want to clarify. My previous post wasn't strictly "what I want" but more "what it needs to be for the good of the franchise". :)

Standards do no harm but if they are included whole internet would be all over it and the sales would suffer.

"that game with PS2 cars"

For me there are only few standards that should be upgraded - really no brainers like Supra, Jag e-type, Zonda that M3 (:drool:) and few more perhaps but that's it - no more than 20.

Upgrade those, remove the rest and we're good. In my opinion this is what will happen anyway but to what extent ?

Supra will probably be left out :rolleyes:

Btw I also found my Alfa 159! It's in the 156 description :P

I'd be happy if they made them all standards. Take all that development time and resources making eye candy cockpits and perfect models for photomode and invest it in creating more tracks and more racing features. That's the real problem with these types of games the devs are far too concerned with pleasing the graphics obsessed casual crowd.

"Gran Turismo 7 - now on ps4 with standard car quality which comes from a system released in 2000"
OF COURSEEEEEEEEEEE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Who wants a ps4 racing game with car quality from ps2????????

By a PS3's standards yes. By a PS4's standards, not so much.

The gap in quality is far smaller between the PS3 and PS4 than it was between the former and the PS2, though. Current Premiums need very little done to them to shine on current-gen consoles.

Indeed, you only have to look at the higher LOD version of current premium cars in photomode to see they're already good enough for the PS4, generally speaking. That has already been pointed out in some other threads.

The gap in quality is far smaller between the PS3 and PS4 than it was between the former and the PS2, though. Current Premiums need very little done to them to shine on current-gen consoles.
Project Cars hasn't the best next gen models and those look better than GT6 premium models in photomode.
project-cars-10.jpg

vs.
Os2PZ6C.jpg

Standard cars look even worse. I understand that some people want some of the standard cars in GT7, because they want to drive with them. Having said that, the difference in quality is to big to integrate them in a next gen game, in my opinion. In fact, i have doubts that the premium models are enough after seeing next gen racing games and their car models.

But since they would have more to work with, and more room to put everything on, would that make standard quality cars on a PS4 inexcusable?
I actually have no problem with standards on GT6, but on the PS4 GT7 game...that would be harder to swallow.

Project Cars hasn't the best next gen models and those look better than GT6 premium models in photomode.

Yes but the point is it's considerably easier to update that model above than it is to update a standard model. That Mercedes model is already a multi-piece model and the biggest issues I see with it are textures. Update those and it'll be fine. The same cannot be said the single piece mesh standard PS2 models.

Yes but the point is it's considerably easier to update that model above than it is to update a standard model. That Mercedes model is already a multi-piece model and the biggest issues I see with it are textures. Update those and it'll be fine. The same cannot be said the single piece mesh standard PS2 models.
So they would have to fully recreate every standard car, rather than update it.

Personally, I wouldn't want the standards in there current state. But on the other hand I'd be ok if they updated them, even if not to full premium levels. Some of my favorite cars in GT6 are standards and I'd hate to lose them simply because they don't look pretty enough.

Edit: I suspect that when GT7 launches they'll have taken a chunk of the standard cars and updated them and they will scrap the rest. Hopefully it's a good number of them but it should be a good chance to better balance the car list.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't want the standards in there current state. But on the other hand I'd be ok if they updated them, even if not to full premium levels. Some of my favorite cars in GT6 are standards and I'd hate to lose them simply because they don't look pretty enough.
I'm in the same boat. There are way too many standard cars that I love, and I would hate to lose them.
Wish they didn't kill off the Ginetta G4. :(

So they would have to fully recreate every standard car, rather than update it.

Correct, that is a misconception some people have (not saying you, just speaking in general). When PD talk about updating standard cars with a premium model, they aren't talking about taking that PS2 model and touching it up to achieve a premium model. They start again, from scratch.

77662003.jpg

89205496.jpg

The car on the left/bottom was not achieved updating the one on the right/top.

Those updated standards in GT6 of course are different, but then you can easily see they're not really up to the same level of quality as a true 'premium' car. They're touched up the best they can to hide the worst flaws.

My theory is that by the time GT7 is out (my guess it late 2015 - early 2016) PD will have more than enough premium cars modelled (I'm gonna guess around 500+) for the standards to be done away with. Hopefully by this time they will have gotten most of the iconic and popular standards remodelled and 500 cars is still more than double 'the other game' managed with its first next gen iteration. However I believe PS2 cars in a PS4 game would be a step too far.

Standard cars look even worse. I understand that some people want some of the standard cars in GT7, because they want to drive with them. Having said that, the difference in quality is to big to integrate them in a next gen game, in my opinion. In fact, i have doubts that the premium models are enough after seeing next gen racing games and their car models.

I see very little between them in terms of actual model fidelity, though; the big differences will be in terms of texture quality (much easier to improve on) and shader utilization (another PD strong point, likely to further improve on PS4).

I'm in the same boat. There are way too many standard cars that I love, and I would hate to lose them.
Wish they didn't kill off the Ginetta G4. :(

The Ginetta being removed points to PD losing the license more than anything else, which means it'd be unlikely to return even as a Premium anyways, unless that contract is renewed.

There are Standards I'd love to drive in each GT too, but I'd rather them be presented at a level of quality more fit for the times. I miss the Alcyone something awful, but I would rather it not return on the PS3 GT games than to have PD just port over the couple-hundred-poly GT2 model.

There are Standards I'd love to drive in each GT too, but I'd rather them be presented at a level of quality more fit for the times. I miss the Alcyone something awful, but I would rather it not return on the PS3 GT games than to have PD just port over the couple-hundred-poly GT2 model.
Oh yes, there are many cars from GT2 that I would love to see in the new games. Though if they brought any of them back, they would probably create new models from scratch because porting PS1 cars is downright ludicrous.

I also have love for many standards, but I voted no. PD needs to start fresh, do spring cleaning to the series. The same can be said of outdated tracks (all my favourites as well). I would hate to see them go, but that is life, and you can always pop in GT5/6 of course.

The only compromise I can think of that most might find acceptable would be to design the game around only new, high-res content. Then they could offer later a free DLC patch to unlock the old standard model cars and tracks for those who want them but only allow them in practice/arcade mode.

Other games have those "legacy standard cars" already in Premium form, why should we wait for GT to make them premium?

This poll makes my head hurt. 20%? Really? Do these people really want standards or they just ant particular cars that happen to be standard?
Yes. :sly:

Besides all the race cars, supercars and muscle cars someone mentioned, these cars should be brought over.
  • Most of the Acuras, and for pete's sake, model the TSX
  • The Aston Martins
  • The Audis
  • The BMWs - do you seriously not care to drive the M3 CSL or GTR in GT7??
  • Callaway C12
  • Caterham Seven Fire Blade
  • Chrysler Crossfire
  • A good number of Citroëns
  • Cizeta V16T
  • A good number of Fiats
  • About all of the Fords
  • The Holdens
  • The Honda Accords, Civics, Integras, NSXs, Preludes, etc
  • Hyundai Tiburon GT
  • The Infinitis
  • Isuzu PIAZZA XE
  • The Jaguars, especially the XJ220
  • Jay leno Tank Car - hey, how can you say no to a guy who can fix a Chevy with a hammer?
  • A good number of Lexus
  • All the Lotuses, especially the Carlton
  • Most of the Mazdas
  • The Mercedes-Benz
  • The MGs
  • The MINI Coopers
  • Most of the Mitubishis, wonderful selection of sports cars
  • The NISMOs
  • About all the Nissans, too much to love, and LOTS of Skylines :D
  • The Opels
  • Oullim Motors Spirra
  • About all of the Peugeots
  • About all of the Reneaults
  • The Scions
  • Seat Ibiza Cupra
  • The Shelbys
  • Spyker C8 Laviolette
  • Whole gob of Subarus
  • The Suzukis
  • Tommykaira ZZs
  • About all of the Toyotas
  • The TVRs
  • The Vauxhalls
  • The Volkswagens
And if the Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II isn't there, I'm going to grump.

That's all. ;)

"Gran Turismo 7 - now on ps4 with standard car quality which comes from a system released in 2000"
OF COURSEEEEEEEEEEE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Who wants a ps4 racing game with car quality from ps2????????

Well, if the physics engine is more refined then it is now (Not at all complaining about the current one), then we should all be happy with Rad Racer car detail.

I'm getting the impression that games are defined on how they look as opposed as to how they play.

Back