Polyphony Digital Has Been Working on GT Sport's HDR Feature for Three Years

GTPNewsWire

Contributing Writer
United States
GTPHQ
This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Michael Leary (@Terronium-12) on December 8th, 2016 in the Gran Turismo Sport category.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Michael Leary (@Terronium-12) on December 8th, 2016 in the Gran Turismo Sport category.
You give one statistic with a big enough number and people will come in already complaining about something else.

Overdose of eye candy already, and whilst i agree GTS looks stunning graphics alone don't make a game great.
If the news stays centered on eye candy leading up to an eventual launch, i fear the game itself won't be much to write home about, just like with GT5 or 6.

Since I discovered HDR, it's very difficult to go back. I'm really happy that PoDi is working on this technology.

The lighting is already impressive but with HDR, it will more than "amazing" !

This is exactly like the case of things that been overlooked at first, but eventually became something that people want, a sudden upcoming trend. It's true that HDR TV were expensive for now, but it will finally reached the level of reasonably price people can buy without a lot of effort to save and spend their budget on it.

That's of course if HDR TV is proven to be successful in the market, if it is not so successful, than it stays as a premium, expensive material for some customers that have serious will to buy for the sake of trend and technology.

Since I discovered HDR, it's very difficult to go back. I'm really happy that PoDi is working on this technology.

The lighting is already impressive but with HDR, it will more than "amazing" !
So you should understand perfectly why people talk the way they do about GT vs. other games when they talk about features in other games that GT doesn't have. Physics is a good example. Good AI is another. A great offline career comes to mind. Deep, rich, immersive sound. There are many others. Once you experience those things it's hard to go back to a vanilla GT game. Once you experience the thrill of a physics engine at your fingertips that works and feels like it's real, accompanied by a sound package that sounds like a real car on the track, loud, aggressive, barely in control, it's not easy to go back to GT's generic feeling physics engine and lame sounds. Hence why the forums are full of people wanting GT to compete in all areas of sim racing and not just in graphics. They see the potential is there, the budget is there, the time is there, and simply want GT to achieve the same results in these areas that relatively tiny studios have for years.

This is exactly like the case of things that been overlooked at first, but eventually became something that people want, a sudden upcoming trend. It's true that HDR TV were expensive for now, but it will finally reached the level of reasonably price people can buy without a lot of effort to save and spend their budget on it.

That's of course if HDR TV is proven to be successful in the market, if it is not so successful, than it stays as a premium, expensive material for some customers that have serious will to buy for the sake of trend and technology.
That upcoming trend is years away, given that most tv's already sold aren't HDR capable so you need to see a turnover of the installed base and that's years away. Does it make sense to work on something for years that few gamers can enjoy, years before the tech is widely usable, especially if it means a dedication of huge resources that inevitably draw from the rest of the game?

There wasn't HDR 4K wide color in GT1 and it was an amazing game. Sure, some tech stuff are nice but if it's their selling point, it's worrying. I can afford a 4K hdr sceen and a PS4 pro, but Do I need it? Honestly, no. It's just like the next iteration of iPhone, my 6 gen is still working. How about game modes in GTSport? Poly, no more marketing vacuum please and talk about concrete news. Event creator? Career structure? Online features? (fortunately, we have Forza this gen.)

Wait, you need an HDR TV to play games with HDR? Half-Life 2 and a lot of other games from the era had HDR and you could use it on any screen, even a CRT...

That being said, PD has been proven to like wasting their time in features about 1% of the playerbase will ever use and they've been doing this since GT5 so I can't say I'm too surprised.

Wise choices as always...
Wait, you need an HDR TV to play games with HDR? Half-Life 2 and a lot of other games from the era had HDR and you could use it on any screen, even a CRT...

That being said, PD has been proven to like wasting their time in features about 1% of the playerbase will ever use and they've been doing this since GT5 so I can't say I'm too surprised.
You are acting like 100% of PD's development went purely into HDR and no other assets whatsoever, which clearly isn't the case here. :indiff:

That upcoming trend is years away, given that most tv's already sold aren't HDR capable so you need to see a turnover of the installed base and that's years away. Does it make sense to work on something for years that few gamers can enjoy, years before the tech is widely usable, especially if it means a dedication of huge resources that inevitably draw from the rest of the game?

I don't said that the trend will happen soon. I also agreed the trend is presumably have many years to come, but it will eventually come the times when the HDR TV sees possibilities to go for a broader audience.

Yeah but that "HDR" you are talking about is totally a different thing and not really about high dynamic range. It is quite actually the opposite. HDR is such a confusing term anyways because in gaming there are two different HDR thingys and in photography there is yet another HDR thingy.

You are acting like 100% of PD's development went purely into HDR and no other assets whatsoever, which clearly isn't the case here. :indiff:
There's a question that needs to be asked though, Why have PDI been working on HDR for 3 years rather than 6-12 months when there are games out or coming out soon that didn't require 3 years for HDR focus? INB4 because PDI need 2 years to mine stardust to put on it.

I'm going to suggested that PDI are embellishing on the 3 years to make it appear like a massive effort when in reality they've probably spent 3 years on it because they're slow as snails.

Last edited:
I'm going to suggested that PDI are embellishing on the 3 years to make it appear like a massive effort when in reality they've probably spent 3 years on because they're slow as snails.
We won't know until we've gotten confirmation from PD or Sony, soon /s
But at the same time please don't set up an expectation of failure for the game

Last edited:
Back