Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI) and FIA to Form Long-term Partnership

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 653 comments
I know, but maybe it's wishful thinking: perhaps FIA certification might coax GT to take sounds seriously in future, even though there is no link whatsoever. GT's going to be in the lime light a lot more for sure, it might be embarrassing to say the least, to have FIA certification in a game that can't even (or refuses to) get the sounds right.

We all want better sounds, but this isnt the sound thread, though. The FIA arent making gt's sounds better.
Nor are they going to make the game any more special. Such as "OMG were're like, going to get more GT3, F1 cars etc etc etc through this partnership. PD da best." Too bad some people some folks doesn't know that's not what it is. :lol:

I know, but maybe it's wishful thinking: perhaps FIA certification might coax GT to take sounds seriously in future, even though there is no link whatsoever. GT's going to be in the lime light a lot more for sure, it might be embarrassing to say the least, to have FIA certification in a game that can't even (or refuses to) get the sounds right.
If they made their first blog post about the sounds, its important to them.

Why some people asociate game sounds with a FIA partnership? makes no sense. It would be the same to expect better lighting to mimic better shadows at night or reflections during a wet race. Those are hardware dependant gaming details out of the FIA competence or focus.

Meanwhile the sound does what is intended for the gameplay should not take any special attention, and that is what the actual GT6 sound does. It's functional and well engineered for a positional gameplay.

Nobody seemed to notice Kaz' remarks on kerbs and how the FIA input helps to improve them in the game. To me, being a Nürburgring guy, that's brilliant news. 1.09 seems to already have addressed the issue in parts. Nobody? No?

Right, back to 2D trees and FIA-approved skid marks then I guess.

Why some people asociate game sounds with a FIA partnership? makes no sense. It would be the same to expect better lighting to mimic better shadows at night or reflections during a wet race. Those are hardware dependant gaming details out of the FIA competence or focus.
The entire game is hardware dependent and all gaming details are out of FIA competence of focus. They aren't game makers are they? So any speculation about anything associated with the FIA beyond a rubber stamp on certain tracks would fall under your same logic.
We all want better sounds, but this isnt the sound thread, though. The FIA arent making gt's sounds better.
They also aren't introducing a flag system, or new cars or tracks or anything else that we know of outside of a new TT next year and a rubber stamp on some tracks. Are you monitoring the posts of those people as well and correcting them too?

and a rubber stamp on some tracks.

If that rubber stamp means kerbs are not just decoration any more in GT, gravel traps do more than simply apply forced TCS, future original tracks are up to real life standards, the spray on real world tracks as seen lately in the N24 24 minutes isn't generic but wet lines are really simulated, then I'll have that and second helpings too please.

By what authority or inside information do YOU know so well what's part and what's not part of the FIA/PD collaboration? Don't be shy, spill the beans. You make it sound like you know far more than what's been revealed in the press release.

From a marketing and selling standpoint, will the game do better? Absolutely.

Does this improve the overall experience for the average gamer? Umm.. no. :banghead:

Come on man... you can't be serious... :gtpflag:
Don't be drag by you negativism. Do you understand the context of my quote? this is FIA related, not gamers looking for a perfect game. Meanwhile the sounds communicate accurately with the player helping to know the car revs, lack of grip, rumble strips, etc and other cars position approach it should not be of the FIA competence or be something to worry about in a virtual championship.

If that rubber stamp means kerbs are not just decoration any more in GT, gravel traps do more than simply apply forced TCS, future original tracks are up to real life standards, the spray on real world tracks as seen lately in the N24 24 minutes isn't generic but wet lines are really simulated, then I'll have that and second helpings too please.

By what authority or inside information do YOU know so well what's part and what's not part of the FIA/PD collaboration? Don't be shy, spill the beans. You make it sound like you know far more than what's been revealed in the press release.
I know what's been in the press release same as everyone else, which is very little. Hence everything else, like what you posted above, is just wishful thinking and wild speculation until something concrete is announced. The FIA for example has already given approval to 4 tracks in their current condition so apparently kerbs that are just decoration , gravel traps that do nothing more than simply apply forced TCS, original tracks that are not up to real life standards etc. etc. is ok with them at this point. So far there's no indication this is anything but a rubber stamp and a future TT. If it turns out to be something more, that's great, there's no indication of that at this point in time.

Don't be drag by you negativism. Do you understand the context of my quote? this is FIA related, not gamers looking for a perfect game. Meanwhile the sounds communicate accurately with the player helping to know the car revs, lack of grip, rumble strips, etc and other cars position approach it should not be of the FIA competence or be something to worry about in a virtual championship.

On the sound I could not disagree with your more. They are plain DUMB and boring. Ever driven or heard one of these cars pass by IRL?

FM5, AC, PCARS and especially DC are already taking huge strides in this department. Enjoy GT is all I can say. :cool:

Has there been any other news about what else FIA is doing? I still see the war rages on independent thought in here though can't we all just agree to disagree and call it a day. There are two other war threads going on and funny thing is it's the same war over independent thought again, you can't accept GT7 for what Kaz says it will be because of his decision....so head over there and get belittled a bit. *shakes head*, it's a good thing that PD are only reading the Q&A section those other threads are so bad it's almost oppressive.

The entire game is hardware dependent and all gaming details are out of FIA competence of focus. They aren't game makers are they? So any speculation about anything associated with the FIA beyond a rubber stamp on certain tracks would fall under your same logic.

They also aren't introducing a flag system, or new cars or tracks or anything else that we know of outside of a new TT next year and a rubber stamp on some tracks. Are you monitoring the posts of those people as well and correcting them too?
I dont pretend to be a moderator unlike a few here. But the guy posted about sounds for the last 3 times at least. You dont know what theyre introducing btw, so maybe you should hold off making claims you think are true.

On the sound I could not disagree with your more. They are plain DUMB and boring. Ever driven or heard one of these cars pass by IRL?

FM5, AC, PCARS and especially DC are already taking huge strides in this department. Enjoy GT is all I can say. :cool:

So you want to be driving the car, but hearing it drive past?

What the driver hears, and what someone on the side of the road hears are two different things...

I know what's been in the press release same as everyone else, which is very little. Hence everything else, like what you posted above, is just wishful thinking and wild speculation until something concrete is announced. The FIA for example has already given approval to 4 tracks in their current condition so apparently kerbs that are just decoration , gravel traps that do nothing more than simply apply forced TCS, original tracks that are not up to real life standards etc. etc. is ok with them at this point. So far there's no indication this is anything but a rubber stamp and a future TT. If it turns out to be something more, that's great, there's no indication of that at this point in time.

Fact: Kerbs are improved at least for the N24 layout of the Nordschleife in the 1.09 update. That's been one of my main gripes with GT btw. Although I don't rave about that endlessly on the internet.
Fact: Kaz specifically mentioned this area as one topic where input comes from the FIA.
Fact: corner cutting and riding the kerbs, especially on the Nordschleife, is hugely annoying as it's absolutely unrealistic. To me that's a huge pain in the A seeing all those top TT replays while in this year's N24 Claudia Hürtgen hit a kerb, bent something and thus the BMW lost his chance of a podium finish. Yes, I actually take an interest in RL motorsport as well.

If there's a collab between the FIA and PD, if PD is willing to step up their game to get a FIA badge (in the same way audio electronic manufacturer seek THX approval or the Dolby logo) then that's good news. And not another pretext to start a new :censored:storm.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the outsiders perspective, PDI and Yamauchi has taken GT to the pinnacle and beyond.
*The FIA is involved in a video game series now. This is more significant than it is given credit for. Even if it is only a "seal of approval", that's THE greatest seal of approval in International Motorsport.
Who benefits from it the most?
*The Vision GT features 28 car manufactures building custom cars for GT6 on a "dying" console.
They expected better sells from it and with that a bigger audience for their concept cars in my opinion. It would be an achievement, if they got the vision cars on a ps4 launch game in my opinion. nevertheless vision gt cars are a great idea.
*GTA racers are filling grids on real race days.
*Gran Turismo has a major presence at Goodwood.
*KAZ has a movie.
*Kaz is a big presence at the Pebble Beach Concours.
*GT took over a town for its 15th Anniversary Celebration.
Nice, but non of these make GT a better game.
Frankly, when you're talking about GT's flaws you're speaking from the perspective of the fanatical 5% who wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection anyway. Balance and perspective must be maintained.
GT has without a doubt a better image than any other racing game out there, but i don't care about a movie or the image. I play and buy games to play the game. GT is good, but definitily not perfect. rubber band AI, very bad sounds and a boring career. Just to name a few.

Anyway. Kaz is doing an AMA on reddit and he did talk about FIA and PD.

Last edited:
Fact: Kerbs are improved at least for the N24 layout of the Nordschleife in the 1.09 update. That's been one of my main gripes with GT btw. Although I don't rave about that endlessly on the internet.
Fact: Kaz specifically mentioned this area as one topic where input comes from the FIA.
Fact: corner cutting and riding the kerbs, especially on the Nordschleife, is hugely annoying as it's absolutely unrealistic. To me that's a huge pain in the A seeing all those top TT replays while in this year's N24 Claudia Hürtgen hit a kerb, bent something and thus the BMW lost his chance of a podium finish. Yes, I actually take an interest in RL motorsport as well.

If there's a collab between the FIA and PD, if PD is willing to step up their game to get a FIA badge (in the same way audio electronic manufacturer seek THX approval or the Dolby logo) then that's good news. And not another pretext to start a new :censored:storm.
I haven't driven the Nurb for a while. This so called "fact" that kerbs are "improved" in the N24 version of the Nurb, what does this mean? Improved how? You mean when I drive the Nurb I won't be able to drive over curbs as if they aren't even there like I did before? So the Nurb is a much tougher track now?

So you want to be driving the car, but hearing it drive past?

What the driver hears, and what someone on the side of the road hears are two different things...

Ah, you missed my point! A real race or even a simulated race have a few things in common:

As your car climbs or goes down the rev range, it gives you a distinct and connected feel to what it's doing on the road. Other cars around you going through the gears around corners or straights, sucks you in the experience and gives you better spatial awareness. And guess what? Mimicking proper engine sounds in a game makes watching replays and hot lapping all the more fun.

I could go on and on, but the way sound is at the moment, the racing in GT is anything but thrilling and exciting.

I think you get the idea.

Nor are they going to make the game any more special. Such as "OMG were're like, going to get more GT3, F1 cars etc etc etc through this partnership. PD da best." Too bad some people some folks doesn't know that's not what it is. :lol:

I am simply amazed how people on this page even managed to twist this news to make PD look bad again.

Best news in ages for every sim racing fan...

Back