Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI) and FIA to Form Long-term Partnership

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 653 comments
okay, the final four verified tracks are Bathurst, Brands Hatch, Suzuka and what looks like Red Bull Ring. It is Silverstone.

Last edited:
This is the most exciting thing that's happened in the GT franchise, probably ever. I'm now very excited for GT7, hopefully we'll see a lot more tracks and a bigger emphasis on motorsport and proper racing. I hope they take their time with it and don't just rush something out at the behest of Sony

MORE MORE MORE PHOTO`S

KbsRBy5buT8.jpg

u29hG-DieaQ.jpg

HfUiT4cO-aE.jpg

ArUECX-mJgc.jpg

2XfFgrjaQT8.jpg

ZDwcXe_jtFo.jpg

pqN2id65Tpg.jpg

xo4APASE6Zg.jpg

gWMw_OWb_qY.jpg

5xDrtUC3kBI.jpg

1DQVuYqH56c.jpg

e23SilGDi88.jpg

pk_2UcNT0Do.jpg

9BiNBmYOfZc.jpg

is7Nsi9LJ3M.jpg

VC0nrDFYbFU.jpg

s3N1p-wlY3Y.jpg

qjtbi4yQ88I.jpg

k86TxUvhJig.jpg

Qsf8fonY3Ps.jpg

At the end of the day, these could all very well be gimmicks to sell the game more.

Never underestimate the power of marketing friends. FM does not have proper racing rules or a flag/penalty system. So Kaz must be like: let's get people to believe GT really is a true form of virtual motorsport and this is where they need to be in order to experience that. And behold FIA certification.

However, the fact of the matter remains: T10 innovates where it matters the most. PD does stuff to buy time but are not really addressing the real issues that have plagued the series for several years in a row.

Bottom line: T10 churns out a much better product with every iteration, and that's coming from a somebody who's experienced both.

Sorry for the off-topic bit there. But I do not understand why Kaz isn't taking the series where it needs to be going. I miss the days of GT3 and 4.

If this championship is like the GT Academy (only time trials) then I don't bother but if it's a real championship where we fight against each other then it's a good news ! Perhaps it will use the promised community feature that we are waiting for...

I knew that was coming... Guys, people can take pictures of Porsches, EA's contract doesn't extend to the point where you have to license them to photograph them.

yet anyways.

I knew that was coming... Guys, people can take pictures of Porsches, EA's contract doesn't extend to the point where you have to license them to photograph them.

yet anyways.

Plus of course this isn't just a GT event, it's a general FIA event that PD are one part of. The Porsche are there because they're a general part of the FIA program.

If this championship is like the GT Academy (only time trials) then I don't bother but if it's a real championship where we fight against each other then it's a good news ! Perhaps it will use the promised community feature that we are waiting for...
Online Championship...

'A wide variety of racing categories'

This is the one that intrigues me, we don't currently have a wide variety of racing categories in the game. Yes we have DTM, Group C, LMP1 etc but they are all from different years, some standard and some premium, and no performance parity. So this either means a lot of new cars to play with or a single make series. I bet on the latter

At the end of the day, these could all very well be gimmicks to sell the game more.

Never underestimate the power of marketing friends. FM does not have proper racing rules or a flag/penalty system. So Kaz must be like: let's get people to believe GT really is a true form of virtual motorsport and this is where they need to be in order to experience that. And behold FIA certification.

However, the fact of the matter remains: T10 innovates where it matters the most. PD does stuff to buy time but are not really addressing the real issues that have plagued the series for several years in a row.

Bottom line: T10 churns out a much better product with every iteration, and that's coming from a somebody who's experienced both.

Sorry for the off-topic bit there. But I do not understand why Kaz isn't taking the series where it needs to be going. I miss the days of GT3 and 4.
PDI and Gran Turismo is significantly more world renowned than T10 and Forza. PDI runs a very successful GTA program which is a key component of this. And PDI models tracks very well. It is a no brainer which company the FIA would want to align with.

From the outsiders perspective, PDI and Yamauchi has taken GT to the pinnacle and beyond.
*The FIA is involved in a video game series now. This is more significant than it is given credit for. Even if it is only a "seal of approval", that's THE greatest seal of approval in International Motorsport.
*The Vision GT features 28 car manufactures building custom cars for GT6 on a "dying" console.
*GTA racers are filling grids on real race days.
*Gran Turismo has a major presence at Goodwood.
*KAZ has a movie.
*Kaz is a big presence at the Pebble Beach Concours.
*GT took over a town for its 15th Anniversary Celebration.

PDI, GT and Kaz are MAJOR players rubbing elbows with the wealthiest and most influential people in international motorsport. There is no close second place in this race.

Frankly, when you're talking about GT's flaws you're speaking from the perspective of the fanatical 5% who wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection anyway. Balance and perspective must be maintained. Who knows where GT will go in the next five years, but this FIA announcement should set them up well for the foreseeable future.

@crowhop That's all great. Nice leaps and bounds. But can you honestly tell me why "PDI" hasn't worked on engine sound accuracy and more detailed physics, the way they go about their track accuracy or race events?

I'm no fanatic. Just trying to determine why this sudden push towards FIA certification when there is clearly a dire need to address other more *obvious* issues.

Are you a GT fan, yes or no? Are you willing to accept it as is, regarding physics and especially sounds?

How far FIA certification is going to realistically push the series forward remains to be seen. It may make the game sell more, that's a no-brainer, but in terms of moving forward, innovating and breathing new life into the franchise, it means very little.

Physical items are easier to model. Physics and audio are not as easy to capture.

You have a point GTPorsche. However, it's almost sad how other developers have practically stomped PD in this department, and continue to put forth good examples of game audio innovation and unparalleled physics. *And no it does not have to do with any PS3 hardware limitations.*

I'm hopeful the PD team will bring something fresh to the table with the PS4 version. They better this time, they've been putting it off for too long.

Head on over to the Kaz Q&A section to learn about the sound, you'll get some information there.

OK, sounds good.

You have a point GTPorsche. However, it's almost sad how other developers have practically stomped PD in this department, and continue to put forth good examples of game audio innovation and unparalleled physics. *And no it does not have to do with any PS3 hardware limitations.*

I'm hopeful the PD team will bring something fresh to the table with the PS4 version. They better this time, they've been putting it off for too long.

OK, sounds good.
I wouldn't necessarily say other games have better audio.. they're just more saturated.

Back