Polyphony Digital Takes Action Against "Misbehaving" Gran Turismo Sport Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, that last bit is the weird thing for me. The message for months has been that Sport Mode is the primary focus of the game. Yet it's far and away the least lucrative in terms of payouts. Well, the one-time prizes are I suppose, but still; there's a lot more credits to be had in GT League.

It currently costs something like +130m credits to buy every car. At the current rate, getting just the XJ13 or 330 P4 would take over a dozen hours of grinding one race (perfectly, with a Clean Race Bonus) and nothing else. That's not pre-release Battlefront 2 bad, but it's certainly more of a grind to get one car than it is in any other game I can think of.

A really easy solution would be to bump up the Sport Mode payouts. Not only would it make things less grindy — Sport Mode simply can't match the repetitiveness of running the PSL race in an X-Bow — but it'd also encourage people to spend more time in that mode. Win win.
Sounds like a bunch of butthurt players to me... As long as you don't use a mod or a program it isn't cheating... You just out smarting the game

Well here's mine featuring he who has no name #1 and he who has no name #2.

#1 seemed to focus on the blue car at first and I thought he was just an idiot or something happened in quali, and he left me alone when I made a mistake, but then he let me past to shunt me off. I guess that was his favourite place to do it. #1 set the fastest lap in quali & race yet the sub-par #2 came from at least 5th to lead the race once #1 had got rid of the competition. Unfortunately I didn't realise until the replay what was going on so only took sweet revenge on #1 :(

Nevertheless PD needs a proper reporting function for stuff like this. They should operate on a beyond all reasonable doubt basis and this fits that imo.

These consequences won't drive the right behaviour if PD don't actually inform the player base what they specifically consider as cheating. Causing inconvenience to other players is so vague it can literally be applied to anyone who has ever raced in GT Sport online.
Just do fairplay all the time and you have nothing to fear. Easy as that. People who have to think of what they would get banned for clearly have a problem with fairplay in my opinion. If you just play fair nobody has a problem.
I dont think it has to be defined point by point. It is in their judgement what they want to ban and when.

Just do fairplay all the time and you have nothing to fear. Easy as that. People who have to think of what they would get banned for clearly have a problem with fairplay in my opinion. If you just play fair nobody has a problem.
I dont think it has to be defined point by point. It is in their judgement what they want to ban and when.

Banning people is manual overhead for them when the game logic should discourage bad behaviour by itself. They could do everyone a favour by advising what is bannable so the community will be self policing.

Playing fair according to the etiquette videos is basically summarised as no crashy crashy. I have had to force my way past backmarkers many times because they don't know to get out of the way when the leaders are coming through. Is that fair? I think so.

Last edited:
Perfect.

Can you please provide a definitive and complete list of what is and isn't fair play.

Or in my case you win 3 cars 100 times over :grumpy:. I swear if I win another stupid VW Golf or Mitsubishi Lancer...
That happened to me twice i think X)
But maybe it depends on the kind of race & distance or also how you drive ( clean race ) may give you chance to win lmp1 cars or more :)

Perfect.

Can you please provide a definitive and complete list of what is and isn't fair play.

Oh my god. Do people really need a paper to know what is fair?
Holy moly just use your brain.exe and start racing fair. It is really not hard. Dont do anything you wouldnt like to happen to you as well.
Maybe that is a good definiton to start with.
Humans really cant life without rules it seems. And every tiny security leak is used to get a advantage just because noone defined its unfair so it isnt. lol comon...
Are you you going to the city sometimes and yell at random people which just want to enjoy the skyline? No and why? Because you know it wouldnt be right and it is not written down that you cant yell at other people constantly. Still you wont do it. I hope you understand the concept.

@Phoenixsui I get your frustration but that's the culture nowadays.
If it isn't written down, cross referenced and repeated, people get sued or worse.
They have to cater to the lowest common denominator.
To paraphrase George Carlin "Think how dumb the average person is, then realise that half the people are dumber than that".

We know what is right, so do they, but they can claim not to unless proven otherwise.

Oh my god. Do people really need a paper to know what is fair?
Holy moly just use your brain.exe and start racing fair. It is really not hard. Dont do anything you wouldnt like to happen to you as well.
Maybe that is a good definiton to start with.
Humans really cant life without rules it seems. And every tiny security leak is used to get a advantage just because noone defined its unfair so it isnt. lol comon...
Are you you going to the city sometimes and yell at random people which just want to enjoy the skyline? No and why? Because you know it wouldnt be right and it is not written down that you cant yell at other people constantly. Still you wont do it. I hope you understand the concept.
So as you are not able to do so (because its actually a very subjective area) you resort to personal digs and attacks.

I strongly advise you re-read the AUP before you take that approach again.

Its actually not black and white, which is exactly why the sporting regulations for Motorsport the world over is not simply "Do people really need a paper to know what is fair?", Senna and MS (as examples) have a very different idea of what constituted 'fair' to a lot of other people, every season of F1, WRC, WTCC, BTCC, NASCAR, etc. has repeated debates about what manoeuvre or tactic is fair and even what constitutes fair as a basic concept in Motorsport.

Are you able to define, to a point that no-one will dispute it at all, who was in the right in the clash between Vetal and Hamilton (the 'brake-check' incident and fall out) last year. was the penalty given fair? Was the blame assigned fairly?

So to be blunt, yes people do need it written down!

That you are unable to actually define it clearly demonstrates that much on its own (and yes I fully understand the Golden Rule, but as human history has clearly shown, and we have a massive topic discussing it, its neither clear nor subject to a set and consistent definition over the course of human history. One mans fair is another mans tyranny).

Asks for a "definitive and complete list" from someone who never claimed to have one, and then admits it's "a very subjective area" and "not black and white".

The response, which is in no way aggressive, contains the phrase "Holy moly just use your brain.exe and start racing fair" which apparently equates to resorting to "personal digs and attacks".
And is threatened with a breach of the AUP.

Unbelievable.

Asks for a "definitive and complete list" from someone who never claimed to have one, and then admits it's "a very subjective area" and "not black and white".

The response, which is in no way aggressive, contains the phrase "Holy moly just use your brain.exe and start racing fair" which apparently equates to resorting to "personal digs and attacks".

Unbelievable.
Unfortunately it's not the first instance of him power tripping.

Illustrates the point rather well doesn't it.

Not a distinction you get to make.

Unbelievable.

Unfortunately it's not the first instance of him power tripping.

Then feel free to do what you should of done, which is use the report button or directly contact an admin or the site owner (not attempt to gain favour from other members by attempting to define the AUP to your own ends - see this 'fair' things tricky isn't it).

So to be blunt, yes people do need it written down!
Yes you are right. It looks like some people need it. It would not be worth my free time to write down something which cant be ever completed anyway. For something that needs common sense always.
There will always be a new Situation that will be discussed. But there are also a lot of clear situations. The most important things should be clear in my opinion. The thing you mean are more little details.

Yes you are right. It looks like some people need it. It would not be worth my free time to write down something which cant be ever completed anyway. For something that needs common sense always.
There will always be a new Situation that will be discussed. But there are also a lot of clear situations. The most important things should be clear in my opinion. The thing you mean are more little details.
I agree that a lot of it is common sense (Senna punting off Prost being a good example of that), its the less clear cut situations that need better definition. Track limits being a current hot topic in GTS and one that comes up every year in the real world, as these are far less obvious or clear cut.

PDs lack of either consistency or clarity on these areas don;t help at all.

These consequences won't drive the right behaviour if PD don't actually inform the player base what they specifically consider as cheating. Causing inconvenience to other players is so vague it can literally be applied to anyone who has ever raced in GT Sport online.

I'd say vague is best. Keep people on their toes. Maybe they would act properly like they would in real life if they didn't fully understand what was meant.

If you explicitly outline what Causing inconvenience to other players people will again play the system and try to abuse it.

*edit. I'd managed to double quote.

Last edited:
I'd say vague is best. Keep people on their toes. Maybe they would act properly like they would in real life if they didn't fully understand what was meant.

If you explicitly outline what Causing inconvenience to other players people will again play the system and try to abuse it.

Well said my friend ;)

I've never cheated but I feel uneasy about people getting banned for taking advantage of a flaw in the software. Rather than banning people they should fix the software.

Some people feel it's just a video game and they can do what they want as they've paid for it. The rating system needs to do more to separate people with this attitude from the people who want to race cleanly.

Yeah, because no one does anything inappropriate in the real world and laws are always written vaguely. I have to agree with Scaff on this one.

Yeah, because no one does anything inappropriate in the real world and laws are always written vaguely. I have to agree with Scaff on this one.

Wind your neck in. I meant real life on track. If you didn't know what may cause a ban, idiots may drive a bit more cautiously. If you are acting appropriately you've got nothing to worry about.

I don't need to know what is and is not acceptable because I know my own behaviour on line, so why do others need it spelling out to them?

*and I never said I disagreed with Scaff. I just put a point forward about how too much information disclosure could actually help the people who PD are trying ban, by divulging information to help them work around it.

I've never cheated but I feel uneasy about people getting banned for taking advantage of a flaw in the software. Rather than banning people they should fix the software.

Some people feel it's just a video game and they can do what they want as they've paid for it. The rating system needs to do more to separate people with this attitude from the people who want to race cleanly.

Give me a driving game and I drive. Give me an FPS and I shoot people.

What I don't do is drive every inch of pit road, wall, or miles off track looking for an exploit. I don't wonder around a shooter game multiplayer map looking for walls I can glitch into or floors that make me invisible. I would never find these glitches if I was playing as intended.

Blame the dev all you want, but it's people who are looking and finding these things, exploiting the crap out of it then saying "it's not my fault, blame the dev".

How about take responsibility for your own actions instead of apportioning blame.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not clear. The statement (in Japanese) says "the applicable online IDs can not connect to the online service of “Gran Turismo SPORT”.".

We don't know what "the online service" means, but the simplest interpretation would be "things you need to be online to access"... Well, that would be everything except Scapes, Arcade Mode and the Campaign Mode events. And the game saving mechanism...

That's not the only interpretation - it may refer to just the actual online racing. It's not clear.
Still posting in purple I see...
Currently the PSN has been down.
I’ve run like one or two actual races online.
I’ve been so far outclassed that I couldn’t act inappropriately if I wanted to, as no one was near me.
I’d really like to be able to save my game.
I’m almost to the level where I can run endurance races.

Not entirely sure if it's been mentioned, too much to read in little time. But there's a notification on GTS which talk about the account bans and it states:

"Illicit activities such as cheating through unauthorised modification of game data, exploiting a bug in the game, or showing improper behaviour towards other users, are strictly prohibited."

So it is likely accounts are getting banned for excessive use of bugs in the game to their advantage.

Wait, what? How is he not getting a billion penalties or having his car ghosted?? Either he's coding out the penalties or I'm extremely unlucky getting penalties for side by side contact!

That's why I don't play the GT mode... I go to normal lobbies or do single player... I know people use the grip cheat while doing the online events.. see it for myself... No way you can qualify a lap time of 1.20.000 and quality first but then when race starts they start having 59 sec lap times... Besides that you have people that run into u and make your stats drop... Sport mode is garbage

Generally I don't think things which are dealt with by the built in penalty systems are a risk.. so exceeding track limits (other than glitches of course) and dirty driving are matters for the penalty system.. if they implement a suspension system or something for excessive infractions I would anticipate that being announced in advance.

Things not dealt with by any system are dangerous territory, especially online of course but even offline glitch-exploiting is pushing your luck.

Obviously there are edge-cases such as wall-riding which I don't know how that would sit.

There are things which are cheeky but you probably don't need to worry about, like running oval races with a rubber band, you could just as well do that without and they can not know. Using the pit glitch to make money for example IS a risk of your account though, however small a risk.

Doubtful. These games along with Nintendo/Sony/MS cover themselves in barely readable legal statements that basically allow them to retain control over the game.

I believe in the past couple months, the developers of Friday the 13th & Blizzard were issuing life time bans to cheaters for exploiting online to gain advantages.
But did they render the prouduct not fit for purpose? i consider not being able to save the game just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back