Polyphony Digital Takes Action Against "Misbehaving" Gran Turismo Sport Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't cheated or even played the game much yet I haven't been unable to connect to the servers for days now. Can't save the game. So stupid. That $25 trade in value is probably the answer I'm looking for as I can't get an answer to my problems anywhere else. Every other game connects fine so it's something on GTs side. pissed is an understatement.
Clean, do you have a message in game when you can't connect? I had a message with a "cannot connect to server" code (which I can't remember). Either way it referred me to my notifications which said something to the effect of "file could not be uploaded...etc. I deleted said notification, and went back to the home screen. With GTS highlighted, pressed the options button on the DS4, selected check for updates and BOOM! Back online again! Hope this helps.

What a shameful attempt from a company like Sony to punish their customers from their own mistakes. I give their Customer Service rating a 0 and a 👎.
I completely agree with you, purely in the fact that some people are going to get caught up in this who shouldn’t be ...it’s up to PD/Sony to decide who’s cheating after all, not the gamers themselves

Japanese culture is “blame and shame”, Ie blame someone else or shame them... or both!

That’s what’s happening to these gamers, rightly or wrongly they are being shamed by a company for its own inability in programming.
If you have confirmation of why people are being suspended, please let us know so that we can update the article accordingly.
@Famine So can I link my video just not mention the names in my forum post or the video title/description?
I would like some clarification on that as well as there is some degree of inconsistency on this issue.

Is it OK to link to youtube replays? In other words, links to third party sites is ok, just don't mention names/ID's here?
There's no inconsistency. If you're naming people here, on GTPlanet, as cheaters, you're not abiding by our AUP and you're causing our site to be indexed by Google calling those people cheats.

What you do with Youtube is Youtube's problem.

You cheat in online mode... so you can't play the *whole* game anymore. What the [insert derogatory term here] PD.
That is right. Only cheaters would complain about such a thing...
Cheaters need consequences that hurt. Otherwhise it wont help.

That is right. Only cheaters would complain about such a thing...
Cheaters need consequences that hurt. Otherwhise it wont help.

These consequences won't drive the right behaviour if PD don't actually inform the player base what they specifically consider as cheating. Causing inconvenience to other players is so vague it can literally be applied to anyone who has ever raced in GT Sport online.

Last edited:
I think the big problem with defining what's 'cheating' means that the cheats will find some way to cheat that hasn't been defined - and thus would argue that they aren't cheating.

Maybe games developers need to hire a cheat to try to exploit their game before it's released, much like security firms hire hackers to test their security, or hire ex burglars.

They should measure wo crashes into who and who crashes at the first corner. When I'm racing online, it recognize some of the players and will do everything to get out of the way. If the same people keep crashing to get advantages, penalize them harder.

I only had a few great online races with peopel who wanted to race and not who wanted to become first, no matter the cost. I like to win, but I like good races even more.

I think the big problem with defining what's 'cheating' means that the cheats will find some way to cheat that hasn't been defined - and thus would argue that they aren't cheating.

Maybe games developers need to hire a cheat to try to exploit their game before it's released, much like security firms hire hackers to test their security, or hire ex burglars.

They do - that's what their QA teams/testing analysts do.

If you hack to the bank and fund your account with some money (no matter if 1$ or 1B$) and they catch you, you gonna go to jail, not to be kicked from the bank and get a refund for services you paid to the bank.
Well that's an excellent example of false equivalency.

If it was in violation I'm sure you would have banned me or had it changed by now.

There is a difference between tongue in cheek innuendo and using terms that promote sexual violence and murder, which are the things I have been reporting.

Edit: Besides, it shows how your mind works not mine, my user name is short for No Flippin Clue !
Exactly why they don't attempt to moderate it, what you consider tongue in cheek, others will be offended by. what you are offended by, others will not.

People get funny about the word 'moist' and would be quite happy if it were banned from conversion, while I find that hilarious.

Qyn
Clean, do you have a message in game when you can't connect? I had a message with a "cannot connect to server" code (which I can't remember). Either way it referred me to my notifications which said something to the effect of "file could not be uploaded...etc. I deleted said notification, and went back to the home screen. With GTS highlighted, pressed the options button on the DS4, selected check for updates and BOOM! Back online again! Hope this helps.
I have tried about everything I know to try. Deleted game and reinstalled, restored default settings, logged in and out of PSN 100 times now yet PSN hasn't registered me signing in, in days. I can log into the same account on PS3 and PSN registers that, but not the PS4.

What they need is a banned user log just like here on GTP, funny comments would be a bonus. Because you're right, without knowing exact what people are getting banned for it's going to be a very steep learning curve for some people. And in this day and age where literally anything can be offensive at any given time, you have no idea what standards they are using. This is another example of not effectively communicating with the fans of the franchise.

But 100 hours is months for you?
Yes? But that wasn't the only point. I'm pretty sure you need a lot more to buy all the cars.

This is a tough balance to get. I'm well over 100 hours at the moment, without even trying, it would be a shame to think that the game had given up everything it had to give after only a couple of months.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but offering short-term gratification at the same time as long-term playability is a tough thing to do.
I agree it's a tough balancing act but a game like GT isn't fun to grind with. AI doesn't do it for me anymore and sport mode's payout is a joke even when I win.

I take it you only play one game and have a lot of free time in your week? I wonder how many people people spend on playing one game per week.

R3V
I wonder how many people people spend on playing one game per week.

Personally, I play about 2-3 hours per night during the week and maybe 3-4 on weekend nights. My driving time is listed as 5 days 23 hours 50 mins and I have logged on 92 days, so 1.6 hours per day driving on average

Reactions: R3V
I would say there is reason to be worried even if you don’t intentionally cheat as it seems completely innocent players always get banned with little to no recourse when developers start doing stuff like this.

So while this could be very good news, it could also be bad depending on what PD’s standards are.

Indeed some may get banned for no reason, but I'm sure that could be resolved quickly if they are truly innocent of any wrong doing. I was banned for no reason by Turn 10/MS way back when Forza Motorsport 4 came out so I know how annoying it is, but they fixed it up within a couple of days.

It's a small price to pay for the greater good imo.

But for daily workout you may win one of those cars X)
Also daily workout prize car works like a lootbox but without paying any real cash for a random prize car :)
In one year you have about 360 chances to win any expensive cars :)
So you're winning 360 cars a year X)

Or in my case you win 3 cars 100 times over :grumpy:. I swear if I win another stupid VW Golf or Mitsubishi Lancer...

R3V
Yes? But that wasn't the only point. I'm pretty sure you need a lot more to buy all the cars.

Depends on how you play it. You could get about 80 million credits in 100 hours if you play it this way. Plus the daily workout gift cars, of course.

Reactions: R3V
Is it confirmed whether anyone was banned or otherwise disciplined for cheating in offline racing?

R3V
The way PD sets these astronomical prices for the classics is a shame. You have to let go of the need to have every car. This is very easy for me now because of Assetto Corsa, but that's way off topic.

I agree it's a tough balancing act but a game like GT isn't fun to grind with. AI doesn't do it for me anymore and sport mode's payout is a joke even when I win.
I'm totally with you here. I have maybe 4-8 hours per week to spend "gaming," so grinding is out of the question unless I'm doing something I want to do. GT6 quick match was so fun and was paying out so well that I didn't have anywhere to put all of the credits. I figured this would be the case with Sport mode - make the pay so good that it was by far the best option for "grinding" (even if you finish last) and then - voila - everyone is online! This isn't the case yet.

Indeed some may get banned for no reason, but I'm sure that could be resolved quickly if they are truly innocent of any wrong doing. I was banned for no reason by Turn 10/MS way back when Forza Motorsport 4 came out so I know how annoying it is, but they fixed it up within a couple of days.

It's a small price to pay for the greater good imo.
Getting banned for no reason is never acceptable and the "greater good" is entirely subjective. If people get banned for no good reason it simply means the methodology for banning is not thorough or specific enough and shouldn't be used until it is. Kind of like running a beta for months with millions upon millions of laps turned and you still don't have all cars well BoP'd several months after release.

Getting banned for no reason is never acceptable and the "greater good" is entirely subjective. If people get banned for no good reason it simply means the methodology for banning is not thorough or specific enough and shouldn't be used until it is. Kind of like running a beta for months with millions upon millions of laps turned and you still don't have all cars well BoP'd several months after release.

Meanwhile Pubg has banned 1.5 million players thus far for the 'greater good' and it has been nothing but positive for the game and the community. Still a small price to pay for me, that's if players even get banned for no reason.

Qyn
Finally figured it out. Had to log out of PS4, log in to PSN from my computer, then log back in on the PS4. All is working now. Thanks for trying to help me out. Much appreciated

I'm totally with you here. I have maybe 4-8 hours per week to spend "gaming," so grinding is out of the question unless I'm doing something I want to do. GT6 quick match was so fun and was paying out so well that I didn't have anywhere to put all of the credits. I figured this would be the case with Sport mode - make the pay so good that it was by far the best option for "grinding" (even if you finish last) and then - voila - everyone is online! This isn't the case yet.

See, that last bit is the weird thing for me. The message for months has been that Sport Mode is the primary focus of the game. Yet it's far and away the least lucrative in terms of payouts. Well, the one-time prizes are I suppose, but still; there's a lot more credits to be had in GT League.

It currently costs something like +130m credits to buy every car. At the current rate, getting just the XJ13 or 330 P4 would take over a dozen hours of grinding one race (perfectly, with a Clean Race Bonus) and nothing else. That's not pre-release Battlefront 2 bad, but it's certainly more of a grind to get one car than it is in any other game I can think of.

A really easy solution would be to bump up the Sport Mode payouts. Not only would it make things less grindy — Sport Mode simply can't match the repetitiveness of running the PSL race in an X-Bow — but it'd also encourage people to spend more time in that mode. Win win.

Getting banned for no reason is never acceptable and the "greater good" is entirely subjective. If people get banned for no good reason it simply means the methodology for banning is not thorough or specific enough and shouldn't be used until it is.

It doesn't mean that the methodology for banning is not thorough or specific enough, it just means that it is not perfect, which no system will ever be.

Kind of like running a beta for months with millions upon millions of laps turned and you still don't have all cars well BoP'd several months after release.

Not really, they were also tweaking the physics model, which obviously affected the BOP.

People should learn to respect others, and realise children and vulnerable people play this game; using lewd language or suggesting to kill a particular group of people is neither cool nor warranted.

So no, I wont learn to live with it, I will carry on reporting and I encourage others to also do the same.
You're right, that's not cool. Elaborate on it next rather than just "inappropriate language" where my point would still stand.

Edit: Besides, it shows how your mind works not mine, my user name is short for No Flippin Clue !
Hmm. Figured it stood for No Fartin Clue.

Meanwhile Pubg has banned 1.5 million players thus far for the 'greater good' and it has been nothing but positive for the game and the community. Still a small price to pay for me, that's if players even get banned for no reason.
I don't know anything about PubG, I just disagree that it's ok for innocent victims to get caught up in the frenzy if that's happening. It's simply not acceptable in this day and age of instant communication and easily available replays and telemetry information. I'm sure you'd agree too if you were one of them. You're not one of them so it's ok if it happens to someone else. I disagree.

It doesn't mean that the methodology for banning is not thorough or specific enough, it just means that it is not perfect, which no system will ever be.
Not perfect and not thorough or specific enough is the same thing. The latter leads to the former. It's a question of resources. The more they put into it, the better the system will be. But if, and it's an if at this point, if innocent people get caught up in the system, there needs to be a swift appeal process and each case needs to be thoroughly evaluated by human eyes. They should also be crystal clear about what kind of things they are talking about. This is where PD's poor history in communicating with it's fanbase becomes a real weakpoint. It would be easy enough to put together a YT video explaining all the most common issues that could get people banned, with specific examples. "Here's some genitalia, don't do that. Here's some profanity, don't do that either. Here's a glitch, we'll patch it when we figure it out, but stop now." Etc. "Here's what we're not banning people for"...etc. A generic, hey we're banning people for doing bad stuff, posted only on the Japanese site so far as I'm aware, doesn't cut it IMO. It's not 2001 anymore. It's not good enough for the genre leading, AAA franchise.
Not really, they were also tweaking the physics model, which obviously affected the BOP.
The "physics model" applies to all cars. If one car is two seconds faster than another car, there is no slight change to the physics model that is going to make that gap up. A handful of aliens putting the various cars through the ringer would have sorted it all out long before release.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back