Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
Another picture of the green R, which is Preuninger's own car.

80-screen_shot_2016_06_13_at_8_45_20_pm_d814cac6a7416cf1573b55a5b5a6f15fc7178f30.png

Not 100% sure if it's a fact or not, just remember reading it somewhere. Though the current 991 Turbo on regular Pirellis has run significantly faster laps on some tracks than the GT3 on cups, so it's not beyond belief.
My favorite color. :eek:

That's crazy. Why not just buy a cup car? Because it's NA and less powerful?

Also, what is the advantage of the center locking wheel hub vs the standard 5 lug pattern? I don't understand the appeal of that.

That's crazy. Why not just buy a cup car? Because it's NA and less powerful?

Also, what is the advantage of the center locking wheel hub vs the standard 5 lug pattern? I don't understand the appeal of that.

Because the Cup car isn't street legal most likely?

And on the center-locking wheel, here's what Porsche has to say

The new 911 GT3 runs on onepiece, titanium-colored, 19-inch GT3 wheels. Taken directly from motorsport is the new central locking device with GT3 logo. The advantages over a conventional five-hole screwed fitting include better driving dynamics and performance thanks to fewer 'rotating masses' and, of course, faster wheel changes. A huge advantage – especially when racing.

A lot of these hyper-911s are taken to the track, and even though it's silly to expect a private racer to need center locking wheels, it's still nice when you're swapping wheels for your track car, I imagine.

I'm wonder, if that is the test mule for the GT2 RS, why haven't we even seen a base model GT2 yet? Who says that has to be the RS version?

Because the Cup car isn't street legal most likely?

And on the center-locking wheel, here's what Porsche has to say

Buy a street-legal one.

Re: the center-locks: That's complete horse crap. 5 lugs aren't going to make that big a difference, and it takes twice as long to put on and take off your wheels when you have the center lock. You have to treat the threads with a special aluminum lubricant putty each time you put on the nut. It's a joke.

See here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, if you can find a road legal Cup car at all. Maybe an old one too, that doesn't have the center locking wheels. Or a new GT2/3 with comforts of a road car that can also go racing. If a conversion kit to 5 lugs exists, then problem solved.

Buy a street-legal one.

Re: the center-locks: That's complete horse crap. 5 lugs aren't going to make that big a difference, and it takes twice as long to put on and take off your wheels when you have the center lock. You have to treat the threads with a special aluminum lubricant putty each time you put on the nut. It's a joke.
You just posted prior to this asking for their purpose, showing you didn't know a damn thing about them. But, it's suddenly BS because it takes time & effort to swap? Please....

The fact you think you can just purchase a street legal Cup car shows you should refrain from throwing in your 2 cents if you don't know anything.

The cup car thing was tongue-in-cheek. I genuinely don't like the centerlocks. Still can't find a good reason for them.

Looks like it has some extra arch width front and rear compared to a GT3RS.

And that rear wing is just massive... looks like a cup car wing.

That wing is the same that the 991 GT3 RS test mule wore (maybe that mule forms the basis for this one?)

Maybe Porsche just use it to judge and play with downforce levels. Or maybe they deemed it too much for the GT3 RS, but just right for the GT2 RS?

xPorsche-991-GT3-RS-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.guDwvYd_z1.jpg

One more GT2 RS pic.

20160721-Photo-21-07-2016-14-47-24.jpg

Rumored to have:
  • 690-700 horsepower
  • Manual gearbox
  • Rear-wheel drive
  • 500 units to be made in year 1
  • Delivery 2017
  • Based on the GT3RS body, including magnesium roof, carbon panels.
http://www.bridgetogantry.com/behold-the-new-porsche-911-gt2/

If this happens, this will be the easiest way to make your wife a widow since the Carrera GT, even more so I think. But man do I love a GT2 RS more than any other niche super car.

I'd love it if it had the squared off intakes on the front bumper. Reminds me of the RSR style bumper.

Crazy indeed, but needs that to be competitive these days. The 650 and 488 both have close to 700bhp!

This really is going to be a missile, but more hope they'll be ruthless with the suspension. GT2's have never quite handled as well as the 3's in the past.

This really is going to be a missile, but more hope they'll be ruthless with the suspension. GT2's have never quite handled as well as the 3's in the past.
Looking by the video of it going around the Nordschleife with its enormous rear wing, I'm pretty sure the GT2 will hold its own in the handling department.

Crazy indeed, but needs that to be competitive these days. The 650 and 488 both have close to 700bhp!

I always thought 911's were much lighter than their competitors, hence why they seemed to have less power than their rivals.

It just boggles my mind how high the standard for power output is becoming these days. Add to that launch control, and ridiculously advanced transmissions. I cannot even imagine what it must feel like to sit in a 700hp 911. It's just beyond ludicrous. Where's the time when the Enzo had 650hp, would eat any other car on the planet for breakfast, and the 650hp figure was simply out of this world. Now 600hp is the bare minimum to be regarded as a supercar. It just can't get my head around it how powerful supercars have become.

And then there are the Swedes who double that power, and put it in a rocketship...

Yes, power outputs are getting silly... Particularly when you have cars like the M5/AMG/RS6 with 600bhp.

IMO, a bit pointless to have so much power in a road car. Hardly an opportunity to extend it in the road without risking life and license!!

My perfect 991 would have the wide body, a super high revving 3.4l NA engine, manual box and as much weight taken out if it as possible - target c.1,200kg. Call it a 991 club sport.

Back