Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
My perfect 991 would have the wide body, a super high revving 3.4l NA engine, manual box and as much weight taken out if it as possible - target c.1,200kg. Call it a 991 club sport.
I like your thinking. A stripped out, lightweight version of the 911 R would be my ideal 991. Always preferred the n/a 911s myself and something a little less noticeable than the GT3 RS would be perfect. Basically a modern day version of the 964 RS N/GT.

Porsche-964-Carrera-RS-NGT-blue-1-new.jpg

I like your thinking. A stripped out, lightweight version of the 911 R would be my ideal 991. Always preferred the n/a 911s myself and something a little less noticeable than the GT3 RS would be perfect. Basically a modern day version of the 964 RS N/GT.

The problem with the R is it has 500bhp... which really is too much. My 996 has 300bhp and weighs 1,320kg, and a bit more power:weight than that, with some trick suspension would be perfect. Take the 3.4 from the basic 991, add a bit of induction and exhaust tuning to make high 300's, and it would be perfect in a car that weighed 1,200kg.

Fast, but not ridiculously so.

There are too many desirable 911's!

1st on the list for me would be a Singer. But I would love a manual 997gts as a daily.

I'd also love an ST for Sunday's, and a 997 Cup car for track days.

My most desirable 911 you ask? Well, that would be the 993 Carrera RS Clubsport in Riviera Blue. It represents everything I love about the 911 and, to me, it's just plain cool and it is the closest thing you can get to a 993 Supercup car that you can also drive home from the track. The 10 year old kid in me loves that spoiler, the roll cage in a road car, and the silly paint color. Don't need anything more than this.

Porsche-993-RS-Clubsport.jpg

Mine would be a "simple" 911 R. I love the 991 body, the GT3 body kit makes it even better, with the wide ass and that sculpted front. The manual and tartan bucket seats seal the deal.

My most desirable 911 you ask? Well, that would be the 993 Carrera RS Clubsport in Riviera Blue. It represents everything I love about the 911 and, to me, it's just plain cool and it is the closest thing you can get to a 993 Supercup car that you can also drive home from the track. The 10 year old kid in me loves that spoiler, the roll cage in a road car, and the silly paint color. Don't need anything more than this.

Porsche-993-RS-Clubsport.jpg

The basic RS like my UT would suit me, personally. This is why I love the 911, so many variants to nerd out over haha.

I always thought 911's were much lighter than their competitors, hence why they seemed to have less power than their rivals.

It just boggles my mind how high the standard for power output is becoming these days. Add to that launch control, and ridiculously advanced transmissions. I cannot even imagine what it must feel like to sit in a 700hp 911. It's just beyond ludicrous. Where's the time when the Enzo had 650hp, would eat any other car on the planet for breakfast, and the 650hp figure was simply out of this world. Now 600hp is the bare minimum to be regarded as a supercar. It just can't get my head around it how powerful supercars have become.

And then there are the Swedes who double that power, and put it in a rocketship...

Is it all that surprising though? I mean the cars have been doing this since 2008? So nearly 10 years we've seen big and bigger numbers but not just this segment, lower ones as well. Also though 911's use to be known for light nimble yet powerful cars, especially turbo variant, the competition has found various ways in that time to do the same. I mean look at the McLaren it's basically a carbon tub for one.

The old tricks of balance and weight with decent power wont help you any more, you need to bring a missile to the fight with other missiles.

The GT3 is hot enough for me. The whole power arms race of late really has made me reconsider how I feel about super/hyper cars.

200mph has become the new 100mph, I am not sure if I am elated, or terrified of a new Ralph Nader type who will swoop in and ruin the party once again...

The GT3 is hot enough for me. The whole power arms race of late really has made me reconsider how I feel about super/hyper cars.

200mph has become the new 100mph, I am not sure if I am elated, or terrified of a new Ralph Nader type who will swoop in and ruin the party once again...

Well as I said the party has been going for a while now, so even if someone comes into crap on it, there is plenty at the table still.

It just boggles my mind how high the standard for power output is becoming these days.
Not only power. Grip levels, both mechanically and aerodynamically, driving assists - car performance in general. Which is all incredibly impressive, but it also means you can basically never drive these cars fast in the real world (fast compared to what the car can do, not compared to the speed limit).

On the topic of favourite 911s, I'd want a 964 Turbo 3.6. In Black. Maybe with a rear wing like the 3.8 RSR's one.

Considering the price these things fetch, though... I'd probably be able to buy a Cayman GT4 and pay someone a crapload of cash to somehow squeeze the 4.0 flat six from the current GT3 RS in it - for less than what a 964 Turbo costs.

I read something on another forum - claiming this was not the 2RS, but the gen 2 GT3 mule.

Not sure which is true LOL

My most desireable 911 would be early eighties SC-RS with 250bhp. It has the looks, sound and sufficient power to be the hooligan for canyons and sufficient civility to be driven daily.

Can't say I'm surprised. Figured it was coming, but doing the limited-run 911R first was an easy way to make money first.

Back