Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
The 991 successor (992?) is beginning to take shape. The front end appears to have a retro hood style
2019-porsche-911-spy-photo.jpg

On the other hand, the rear takes a futuristic approach featuring tail lights inspired by the Mission-E
2019-porsche-911-spy-photo.jpg

Source with more images

I would have though the 992 GT3 will have some sort of electric 'torque fill' to differentiate it from non GT models.

If it has some sort of production version of that wing and taillight design, that's gonna be one neat looking 911.

There's a 675LT in the garage of my wife's apt complex in Miami - spoiler looks very similar.

Think they'll even bother with a non-RS GT2? Seems as though the GT3 gets a version in both a gen 1 and 2, and both non-RS and RS models in each, whereas the GT2 got a 997.1 non-RS model only and the 997.2 had only a an RS model. That make sense? :lol:

Point is, the GT2 never gets multiple versions per generation, wondering if the 991 will be the same.

With the rumoured mid-engined car set to fall in above the 911, and take the fight more directly to the Huracan/488/720S, is there room for a GT2 RS? I get that it's a slightly different proposition, but it seems to be getting squeezed out, since the GT3 RS and Turbo S have made pretty significant jumps in performance in the past decade.

Think they'll even bother with a non-RS GT2? Seems as though the GT3 gets a version in both a gen 1 and 2, and both non-RS and RS models in each, whereas the GT2 got a 997.1 non-RS model only and the 997.2 had only a an RS model. That make sense? :lol:

Point is, the GT2 never gets multiple versions per generation, wondering if the 991 will be the same.
Probably not. It was originally told by a someone higher up in Porsche's food chain that they wouldn't build a GT2 just because; they wanted a reason. A "base" GT2 is probably pointless these days with the GT3 RS/Turbo S capabilities, and would have to be molded to fit in between the 911 range & the 918. A RS probably makes more sense since it would allow Porsche to fully develop the car, and not think, "How do we make this even better without getting into 918 territory?"

Needless to say, it's evolving slowly. This was the mule spied in July '16, dubbed a GT2.
991-GT2-spied-2-850x472.jpg

991-GT2-spied-10.jpg

991-GT2-spied-11-850x522.jpg

Here's the mule spotted this last month, now with RS monikers attached by publications.
spy-photos-porsche-911-gt2-rs_1.jpg

spy-photos-porsche-911-gt2-rs_3.jpg

spy-photos-porsche-911-gt2-rs_7.jpg

The biggest notice is the NACA ducts leading a ton of speculation about what they'll be doing. Some believe the car will have no A/C, and the ducts will provide cabin cooling. Some think it decreases drag under braking dispersing the air. Other changes include the chin now more pronounced. It no longer sits flush with that bolted on panesl. There's also only 1 canard now, shaped like the upper on the '16 mule, but placed lower. Side air ducts and spoiler appear the same, but there's now a vent between the spoiler supports. Looking at the '16 mule, it appears it's there, but covered up. The snorkel on the rear window is also more refined; it shares the snorkels seen on the new GT3, but with bridge between them gapped, producing a single, large intake, with an exit vent between said snorkels, showing off the aero work. It's not just a big, bolted on vent seen previously. The rear panel on the rear fenders is also slightly different; it's lower and sits more flush with the body lines. The top line of holes is also 6 instead of 7. You can see the bolts now instead of it all taped up, along with the inclusion of the rear view camera & sensor by the plate.

It appears all the masking tape and crudely added cover panels have been replaced with just some bolted panels on the front & rear, finally giving us a better idea of the details. Everything is refined now.

Last edited:

I think that's one of the worst looking 991's I've ever seen. The colour isn't offensive, and the seats are lovely, but those are the worst wheels available for the 991, and it has a half wooden steering wheel and wood on the dash FFS. It's a 911, not a luxo barge.

And what's up with the ride height - have they left the shipping packers in the springs? Looks like a Cayenne.

I think that's one of the worst looking 991's I've ever seen. The colour isn't offensive, and the seats are lovely, but those are the worst wheels available for the 991, and it has a half wooden steering wheel and wood on the dash FFS. It's a 911, not a luxo barge.

And what's up with the ride height - have they left the shipping packers in the springs? Looks like a Cayenne.
They probably had the lifting system on in full when they took the picture.

Back