Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
Porsche option pricing has always been a bit crazy. Very easy to run up 10's of thousands in options!
On one hand I do like that they offer a pretty high degree of customisation available. On the other hand some of the options are a bit silly, and some probably shouldn't be options. Cruise control, for instance. If I'm paying £90k for a car I expect cruise control to be standard.

If I was to buy a new 911 (C2S out of the non GT/Turbo cars) I'd probably add £10-15k in options. You raise the price a lot but you go from a really poorly equipped car to one that's got everything you want and nothing you don't, and looks the business to boot.

On one hand I do like that they offer a pretty high degree of customisation available. On the other hand some of the options are a bit silly, and some probably shouldn't be options. Cruise control, for instance. If I'm paying £90k for a car I expect cruise control to be standard.

If I was to buy a new 911 (C2S out of the non GT/Turbo cars) I'd probably add £10-15k in options. You raise the price a lot but you go from a really poorly equipped car to one that's got everything you want and nothing you don't, and looks the business to boot.

Cruise control, heated seats, parking sensors, folding mirrors, dimming mirrors/rain sensor... all should be standard on an £90k car.

Some of the Porsche Exclusive stuff is very nice... though giving owners that level of customisation can lead to some odd combinations :lol:

The painted vents has always been such an odd option to me. Haven’t seen a car where it doesn’t look odd, even if it’s picked to match a combination like Guards Red accents with predominantly black interior.

The painted vents has always been such an odd option to me. Haven’t seen a car where it doesn’t look odd, even if it’s picked to match a combination like Guards Red accents with predominantly black interior.

Only car I've seen where it looks really good... Carmine 991.2GTS, with GTS interior package, painted vents, deviated stitching lashings of carbon.

DSC07652_zpsutulzwri.jpg

DSC07646_zpstv164suq.jpg

DSC07663_zpsktfoj6nw.jpg

Lots of money in carbon and exclusive stitching there!

Agreed... plus leather interior mirror & leather seat belt slots :lol:
As silly as some of those options are I kind of understand the appeal. Having leather on something like the seat belt buckle makes some sense since you touch it every time you get in the car. Might as well have it be made of something nice. Of course, I suspect wear might eventually be an issue, and I'd never spec it myself because if I had that much money I'd just buy something else.

The painted air vents are very tacky to me. Reminds me of my first car from high school... the previous owner used red latex paint to color the interior trim red, including the air vents. I peeled it right off, but to this day if the dash isn't all one color then it's very tacky to me.

Plus, in the online car configurator, it looks like a $1720 (USD) option to have the vent surrounds painted exterior color on the GTS, which includes the vent slats covered in leather. :lol:

Plus, in the online car configurator, it looks like a $1720 (USD) option to have the vent surrounds painted exterior color on the GTS, which includes the vent slats covered in leather. :lol:

If there are any prospective GTS owners reading this - i'll do it them for just $875 (excluding VAT)

Only car I've seen where it looks really good... Carmine 991.2GTS, with GTS interior package, painted vents, deviated stitching lashings of carbon.

DSC07652_zpsutulzwri.jpg

DSC07646_zpstv164suq.jpg

DSC07663_zpsktfoj6nw.jpg

Lots of money in carbon and exclusive stitching there!
It’s not bad, just still odd to me. Personally, the red stitching is enough contrast for me.

Edit* I take it back. I could live with that. The opposite though, is too much for me.
img_1013_fe85a2d8cc696d688fc955994c20ed3b64d58c12.jpg

Last edited:
It’s not bad, just still odd to me. Personally, the red stitching is enough contrast for me.

Edit* I take it back. I could live with that. The opposite though, is too much for me.
img_1013_fe85a2d8cc696d688fc955994c20ed3b64d58c12.jpg

Yep, that's gash!!

What exterior colo(u)r would you choose for a 991.2 GTS?

Oak... it's such a stunning colour 'in the flesh', and different to the usual black/silver/white/red.

Balls, @Beeblebrox237 beat me to it! Oak Green with the natural espresso/cognac leather interior would probably be my ideal GTS. I prefer how an Alcantara rim feels, but the brown interior just looks too nice, so I'd make that sacrifice.

I really, really liked the GTS when I drove it. But in Canada, if I were in the market, I'd have a hard time justifying the purchase when the GT3 Touring now exists, and there's only 30 grand between them. A quick go of the configurator cut that difference to only four figures, although admittedly the GT3 would gain a few thousand in options too.

That actually raised a strange issue for (hypothetically well-off) me: I'd much prefer the GT3 Touring, but I want more Alcantara for the interior. That's not an option currently.

I'm also wondering how a Touring would look in Ultraviolet — or indeed a Cayman. :P

Balls, @Beeblebrox237 beat me to it! Oak Green with the natural espresso/cognac leather interior would probably be my ideal GTS. I prefer how an Alcantara rim feels, but the brown interior just looks too nice, so I'd make that sacrifice.

I really, really liked the GTS when I drove it. But in Canada, if I were in the market, I'd have a hard time justifying the purchase when the GT3 Touring now exists, and there's only 30 grand between them. A quick go of the configurator cut that difference to only four figures, although admittedly the GT3 would gain a few thousand in options too.

That actually raised a strange issue for (hypothetically well-off) me: I'd much prefer the GT3 Touring, but I want more Alcantara for the interior. That's not an option currently.

I'm also wondering how a Touring would look in Ultraviolet — or indeed a Cayman. :P
If if helps, Alcantara wears terribly. I've heard exotic car rental fleet managers say they've gone through 5 or more steering wheels in less than 50,000 miles because the Alcantara wears down really quickly.

If I could, I'd have a GT3 Touring in Oak Green over Espresso.

Balls, @Beeblebrox237

I really, really liked the GTS when I drove it. But in Canada, if I were in the market, I'd have a hard time justifying the purchase when the GT3 Touring now exists, and there's only 30 grand between them.:P
That won't be an issue when you live in Belgium, unless you're a Multi-Millionaire.

Registration tax:​

GTS manual: €3,805.8.....................................................GT3 manual: €10,928.11
GTS PDK: €2,027.01........................................................GT3 PDK: €10,928.11

Road tax:​

GTS manual: €905.23.....................................................GT3 manual: €2,799.12
GTS PDK: €847.03...........................................................GT3 PDK: €2,777.75

That won't be an issue when you live in Belgium, unless you're a Multi-Millionaire.

Registration tax:​

GTS manual: €3,805.8.....................................................GT3 manual: €10,928.11
GTS PDK: €2,027.01........................................................GT3 PDK: €10,928.11

Road tax:​

GTS manual: €905.23.....................................................GT3 manual: €2,799.12
GTS PDK: €847.03...........................................................GT3 PDK: €2,777.75

Good grief. Why the jump in taxes? Is 4.0 litres a cutoff point, or do they just really hate GT3 drivers? :P

Good grief. Why the jump in taxes? Is 4.0 litres a cutoff point, or do they just really hate GT3 drivers? :P
CO2 emissions and the difference between a 3.0 and a 4.0L. Especially the CO2 emissions makes the difference in Registration tax so big.

CO2 of 259g/km or more = 10,928.11

Road tax is a combination of CO2 and displacement

Last edited:
CO2 emissions and the difference between a 3.0 and a 4.0L. Especially the CO2 emissions makes the difference in Registration tax so big.
That makes sense. Personally, I'd have a C2S before a GTS since the GTS is effectively an options package where everything except the interior can be ordered on the C2S.

That makes sense. Personally, I'd have a C2S before a GTS since the GTS is effectively an options package where everything except the interior can be ordered on the C2S.
I definitely prefer the GTS because of the RWD and the wide body of the C4. A C2S with all the goodies of a GTS is even more expensive than the C2S.

I definitely prefer the GTS because of the RWD and the wide body of the C4. A C2S with all the goodies of a GTS is even more expensive than the C2S.
It's more expensive if you spec everything but I'm not convinced that the power pack, PDCC, or sports exhaust are worth it. Not that I've driven any 991s, mind.

A GTS holds its value much better/longer than a C2S.

Perfect 991.2 for me personally would be the Carrera T with the GTS wide body.

What exterior colo(u)r would you choose for a 991.2 GTS?
I'd probably go with Chalk to go with the black Turbo S wheels. I really like the Agate Grey, but that would require the wheels to be finished Silver which means deleting the Turbo S'.

Y'know, for all the ribbing some folks give Porsche for having such a huge lineup of different 911 models, it's a little funny that at least a few of us are finding our personal sweet spots aren't quite represented. :lol:

1. Graphite Bue or a Custom paint >>> Dark blue from Fiat 500 twin Air (see below).
  2. GT Silver.
  3. Agate Grey.
  4. I must admit, Oak Green looks very nice indeed.

Attachments

• DSCN4145.JPG
    DSCN4145.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN3921.JPG
    DSCN3921.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 11
Back