Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
I'm one of the biggest Porsche fans out there, but even I'm struggling to get excited about the continuous churn of 'new' 99x models, with marginal differences to their predecessor(s).
Understandable, but that's also how it's always been. Maybe more so since the 996 and the start of the "face-lifts", but year to year, model to model it's just an incremental increase in performance. At least with the face-lifts we get a slight change in appearance on top of performance increases within the same generation to give consumers the perception of an all new car. :lol:

I'm not so thrilled either, but I've not really been too excited about the 991 generation from the start. Impressive cars, I love the 911, but the GT models are becoming flashy, show off cars rather than the track cars they're meant to be. But maybe they've always been that way.

I know they will all be fabulous to drive, but there are just so many variants of the 991 now.

For previous generations, I'd always go for the basic model, or the GT, but if I was forced to choose a 991 (and was in a position to fund it!) I'd probably go for a GTS Targa.

I'm less disappointed that the DI engine is being replaced with a turbo unit than losing the Mezger.

Love it. There is some talk about the color being obnoxious or over the top. I might agree that the seat inserts are a bit much (despite being reminiscent of the 964/993 RS sport seats) but RSs are always over the top colors.

For example, imagine seeing this lovely shade of green (Birch Green) back in 1974 :lol:
1974-Carrera-RS-3.0.jpg

911 Speedster

2019-porsche-911-speedster-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100649514_h.jpg

2019-porsche-911-speedster-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100649516_h.jpg

2019-porsche-911-speedster-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100649518_h.jpg

The car will be a limited edition 911 Speedster ...

Porsche has done its best to hide the Speedster's unique design traits but we can see signs of a double-bubble rear deck as well as the car's more streamlined soft-top roof hiding under a makeshift unit. The windshield is also more raked than on other 911 models from this generation.

Interestingly, the car looks to be based on the 911 GT3 platform (the last one was based on the Carrera GTS). Key giveaways are the front bumper and hood with their extra intakes, plus a center-mounted exhaust, uprated brakes, and wide rear haunches devoid of any side intakes.

This means there's likely a 4.0-liter flat-6 in the rear delivering 500 horsepower and 339 pound-feet of torque to the rear wheels. Expect a 6-speed manual to be the standard option, though a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission may be offered as an alternative.

Look for the 911 Speedster to debut later this year as a 2019 model. An appearance at either the Paris auto show in October or the Los Angeles auto show the following month is a strong possibility.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1116225_2019-porsche-911-speedster-spy-shots

I actually think it looks really good, but I also think the 991 is too big a car to age especially gracefully. I could be wrong, but I'm not a big fan of the huge size increase between the 997 and 991.

@Beeblebrox237 said exactly how I feel, although it’s exaggerated in pictures, the 991 always looks too big.

I wouldn't say that the 991 looks too big, the 991 looks impressive, massive. IRL, in traffic, the difference is not that obvious, except for the massive 20in wheels of the 991.
Personal opinion.

AFAIK, the 992 is going to be even bigger.

Two inches in length?
Also 2 inches wider, 4 inch longer wheelbase, and an inch in height. Each isn't a lot individually but together it's a substantial increase. The width in particular is what really does it visually, though the longer wheelbase, further forward scuttle, and bigger lights/wheels/etc. also give it a lot of visual mass:

upload_2018-4-14_14-19-15.png

upload_2018-4-14_14-22-44.png

I never liked the 997.2 facelift, mostly because of the odd taillights. I get that the 991 has a lot more vertical metal at the rear, but I really like the shoulders, cleaned up engine cover, and those slimmer lamps.

The 991/991.2 is the 911 I prefer as well, although the 997.2 looks really great. The 991 looks more modern while the 997/997.2 looks like a modern update from the original Carrera. Also, the interior of the 991 is a nicer place to be in compared to the 997 model.

Porsche are going for a Nurb lap time in the 991.2GT3RS... rumor on BTG is 6'56 so far... another day to go.

In addition, Porsche have today stopped registrations of ALL new cars in the UK - something to do with a radio transmitter breaching a recent OFCOM regulation change.

Edit...

Issue is related to the mobile phone interface. Current cars not compliant with the below.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofco...ations-to-allow-use-of-mobile-phone-repeaters

Last edited:
I also prefer the 991. .1 more than .2, but both are really good looking. It's IMO one of the best 911 shapes ever.

175.6 inches long by 71.2 inches wide by 51.6 inches tall vs 176.8 inches long by 71.2 inches wide by 51.3 inches tall.

I do get what you are saying now, though. Akin to the differences between the C4 ZR1 and the C5 Corvette; the latter of which the car with the world's fattest ass.
There's an intangible element too. I've driven a lot of 991s but spent yesterday in a 997 - it feels tiny on the road compared to the 991 even if the physical size difference is only marginal.

I think a lot of the feeling is in the cabin layout. In earlier 911s the windscreen is a lot closer to you and more upright and the scuttle is lower, so the forward view is much better. The cabin feels narrower too. Not claustrophobically so, but enough for it to make the car feel more compact.

Holy goodness... the ammount of people here who like the 997 more than the 991...

I personally seriously thought the 997 looks like a cheap knockoff next to the 991 :lol: apparently I'm more alone than I thought.

Holy goodness... the ammount of people here who like the 997 more than the 991...

I personally seriously thought the 997 looks like a cheap knockoff next to the 991 :lol: apparently I'm more alone than I thought.

If you look at the pictures of the 991 and 997 sat side my side higher up this page, they look very very similar. If anything the 991 looks like a 997 skin stretched over a longer, wider and lower shape. Detail-wise they're very close, certainly closer than the 996 and 997 even though one was just an evolution of the other's platform.

The 996, especially the earlier generation, are at that awkward stage of not really ageing well but not quite old enough to be a classic, where as that aspect doesn't matter.

If it is the last N/A flat six 911 it’s not exactly bad engine to bow out on. The noise and the revs :drool::bowdown:

Back