Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
The main problem with the PDK, as I see it, and Chris Harris pretty much hints at this, is that it's pretty much a Jekyll/Hyde scenario. You leave it in full automatic and it does everything for you, it's relatively tame and doesn't make much fuss about anything. If you want to have fun, you just flick a few switches and you're suddently into a racecar.

For a car that's known to be raw, to be bare bones, like the GT3, I can certainly see the critiscism. Past GT3s were "on" all the time, whether you were just going to the office, pootling around town or gunning down the esses at VIR. That doesn't mean they've softened it, it just means they've made it more... casual, I guess. Casual works with a GT-R, an Aston, a 911 Turbo, even a Ferrari. It's not something we expect out of a GT3, even if everyone around the world knows that it'll make it a better car.

I'll have mine in white, please.

^here you go :sly:
porsche_trailer.jpg

What we need is a full on sequential race tranny in the GT3RS, then everyone will be happy :lol:

Last edited:
The main problem with the PDK, as I see it, and Chris Harris pretty much hints at this, is that it's pretty much a Jekyll/Hyde scenario. You leave it in full automatic and it does everything for you, it's relatively tame and doesn't make much fuss about anything. If you want to have fun, you just flick a few switches and you're suddently into a racecar.

For a car that's known to be raw, to be bare bones, like the GT3, I can certainly see the critiscism. Past GT3s were "on" all the time, whether you were just going to the office, pootling around town or gunning down the esses at VIR. That doesn't mean they've softened it, it just means they've made it more... casual, I guess. Casual works with a GT-R, an Aston, a 911 Turbo, even a Ferrari. It's not something we expect out of a GT3, even if everyone around the world knows that it'll make it a better car.

I think "hard-core" cars are overrated. No matter how much joy you take in driving a hard-core car around on the street, there will come many times where you would like nothing more than an automatic transmission or soft suspension or air conditioning or whatever.

I think "hard-core" cars are overrated. No matter how much joy you take in driving a hard-core car around on the street, there will come many times where you would like nothing more than an automatic transmission or soft suspension or air conditioning or whatever.

But if you can afford a 911 GT3, you can probably afford to buy a daily driver with all the squishy stuff. :P

Actually, the Porsches I'd choose before any other are an air-cooled, maybe a 964 or 993 Carrera, nothing fancy, and...wait for it...an early-model Boxster. The base model. Call me strange. In my opinion, any car that fills the void eventually left by this RX7 will have a very large, exciting, and capable hole to fill. Either way the cars would be modified to get them up to scruff.
I am referring to the current line up & in regards to the general negative responses to the 991 GT3, not you specifically. :)

My father had, at some point several years ago, a 997 GT3. Did he use it everyday? No, that's why he also had an X5 to go to the office and do the errands.

And that's always been the point of a GT3. Or a Caterham, or a Radical, Atom, FF5 Cobra replica, and so on and so forth. They're not cars you'll use everyday, you will have something else to drive to work and whatnot.

It seems Porsche is trying to bridge the gap between the weekend warrior and everyday commuter, and that's ok I think. They need this in order to survive in today's market... just like they needed the Boxster, Cayman and Cayenne in order to just survive, years ago.

But if you can afford a 911 GT3, you can probably afford to buy a daily driver with all the squishy stuff. :P

Problem is that most people that can afford a GT3 want the squishy stuff all the time :lol:

I think the GT3 has become like the land cruiser in a way, they end up being used to their full potential many years later by people not afraid of wrecking or damaging their 100K+ machine

I think some people are missing the point of the GT3.

It is not designed exclusively as a track day weapon - if all you want is a car for doing track days you may as well go buy something more suited to that task like a Caterham/Radical/BAC Mono or simply buy a proper racing car. All would be far cheaper options than regularly tracking a GT3.

It needs to be able to do both road and track duties equally well.

Over the years, the GT3's breath of ability has grown massively - the later models are much, much faster on track than the earlier models, and at the sam time they do the road stuff more comfortably too.

It's a car that you could drive from UK to Germany in relative comfort, hoon at close to 200mph on the Autobhan, do a tour round the lovely villages and towns, and then go run sub 7m30s laps of the 'Ring (assuming you had the talent) before returning to Blighty.

And all of that time it offers a wonderful driving 'feel/experience'.

I finally managed to watch the Chris Harris video with the sound on... that is how an engine should sound! Non of the silly high pitched 'look at me, look at me' shreeeeeeeek a Ferrari chucks out from tickover... just a pure mechanical multilayered howl at the top of the rev band... orgasmic :D

I can help but think of the potential upgrades the RS version might have... the even wider body from the new Turbo, another 500rpm added to the limiter (or maybe a capcity increase to 4.0l) for 500bhp, bit more aero, some suspension parts from the 991 Cup Car... think I need to go lie down in a dark room :lol:

^agreed, the GT3 probably feels like a Rolls after stepping out of an atom

Exactly... you could hardly do a 2 week European Tour in an Atom or Caterham or X Bow, or drive down to the Monaco GP with a mate (and do some of the fabulous Alpine passes whilst you're there). You'd be permanenetly shattered, if it rained you'd be soaked and there's nowhere for your luggage (or you'd be limited to one up and a squashy bag).

+1 👍

GT Silver for me though.

991 GT3 RS info leaked

http://jalopnik.com/leaked-document-reveals-porsche-911-gt3-rs-has-500-hors-1687350965

B-fKooKCcAArQSL.jpg

B-fKoKPCIAA3v8F.jpg

If it's correct, the GT3 RS has a 4.0 liter flat six with 500 horsepower and 340 pound-feet of torque. That power is routed to the road through a seven-speed PDK trans (no manual is listed...) and is surrounded by a new, slightly wider body with carbon fiber up front and a magnesium roof.

It also has huge wheels, 20s up front, 21s out back. The rear tires are 325 section while the fronts are 265s.

I can't be doing with an RS that doesn't have graphics. The 993 got away with it, but that was a pretty car and this isn't.

Well, someone who can afford a car for 180 grand might just be able to churn out a few more bucks to pay for decals from a third party, right? :D

The Ultraviolet really needs the graphics/offset wheel colors of the past couple cars. But, it's clear Porsche is really pushing the Lava Orange with the options.

Hoping to see someone with some pull at Porsche (& money no-option lifestyle) order one in a different color.

Back